00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Inkolypso just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

FOSS: 'chatroom'

3,279 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 09:45:11

This isn't pure code, but stuf.

FOSS:Main

Here you can download the .fla of my fake chatroom, full of AI driven bots, that you can use to trick other people into thinking the AI bots are real. It's funny, trust me.

I haven't explained my code, but it's fairly simple to understand.. so even basic actionscripters should get the jist of whats happening. Most of the code is on the frame, the rest is on the two buttons but thats basic stuff such as send message, etc.

The main things you should be altering/adding to are the subjects that the bots can talk about. It's fairly simple, all stuck into arrays. The arrays I suggest you add to are the 'names' array, 'music' array, 'fave' array and the 'msgs' array.

When you've done something worthwhile, host the .swf on imageshack so we can see it.

Source .fla

The .swf

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 09:46:28

At 8/23/05 09:45 AM, -liam- wrote: The .swf

Wow, fucked that up =P

Working link.

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 09:50:36

[ Hexinety ]: I can splel

LOLOLOL

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 09:52:03

will do

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 09:52:06

At 8/23/05 09:50 AM, T-H wrote: LOLOLOL

[ Denvish ]: tuesday?
[ shadow838 ]: lmao

Or we could just use this thread to post quotes, meh..

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 09:58:41

Just checked out the file, AS is pretty simple, works a charm as well.

I've never used UI's for anything before...

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:00:10

At 8/23/05 09:58 AM, T-H wrote: Just checked out the file, AS is pretty simple, works a charm as well.

I've never used UI's for anything before...

Yeah, I just submitted it with my alt too.. I wonder how long until people realise?

I look forward to what people add, should be cool.

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:00:55

change

setInterval(chat, (random(250))+800);

to

id=setInterval(chat, (random(250))+800);

and add

if(!random(90)){
outputTxt.text += "You have been banned for not following the rules";
clearInterval(id);
}

at the end of chat right before the last } in it

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:03:17

At 8/23/05 10:00 AM, -liam- wrote: I look forward to what people add, should be cool.

You gave this entry a 5!
If this game is protected you will get a PROTECTION point!

what's it's current score?

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:08:57

Irregular intervals would be better.

function chat() {
outputTxt.text += AImessage;
dtime=random(1500)+200;
clearInterval(interv);
interv = setInterval(function () {chat();},dtime);
}
onEnterFrame = function () {
if (outputTxt.vPosition != outputTxt.maxVPosition) {
outputTxt.vPosition = outputTxt.maxVPosition;
}
};
chat();

Also, you need to find away to prevent someone appearing on the userlist more than once. One Inglor is quite enough ;P

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:10:12

At 8/23/05 10:03 AM, Inglor wrote: what's it's current score?

2.3668 / 5.0000

Theres a lot of mixed reviews, some people saying stuff such as (quotes) :

Nifty August 23, 2005
Reviewed by: Mr_Snickers Overall rating: 6
But no real point to it. Cool thought I guess. I just dont see the point to it.

wow, now we need a modeator. August 23, 2005
Reviewed by: dabber Overall rating: 10
iv always wanted to see some chatrooms here.

umm August 23, 2005
Reviewed by: dily_da_wily Overall rating: 7
i dont get it they dont reply waaaa :,(

Nice try August 23, 2005
Reviewed by: Paper_Man Overall rating: 2
It's a good little program, but even the most gullible of Newgrounds fans (like myself) will realize that everyone only says about 50 things. Thanks for the original entry, though.

Very clever man, this ain't no chat. ;) August 23, 2005
Reviewed by: RupeeClock Overall rating: 7
Haha, you think I wouldn't figure this out? This is no real chat. It's nothing more than a load of constantly randomly generated strings that you can contribute to, none of these people even bother to talk to you except for when you make your name.
Heck, the messages kept on coming on in when I blocked all traffic with my firewall! Haha!
You sure got me though, I thought it was real at first! This makes for a great aprils fools joke or something!

Heh, its funny :)

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:11:31

At 8/23/05 10:10 AM, Lialtm wrote:
At 8/23/05 10:03 AM, Inglor wrote: what's it's current score?
2.3668 / 5.0000

Haha, I will laugh if it passes

Wtf August 23, 2005
Reviewed by: white_rice07109 Overall rating: 0
Why is everybody saying the same thing over and over again? Are they robots? It got annoying.
Graphics: 0 Sound: 0 Interactivity: 0 Style: 0 Violence: 0 Humor: 0

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:17:54

hah, fifed just for the sheer stupidity of it all.

Is it just me or wont the info box close?

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:21:07

At 8/23/05 10:17 AM, T-H wrote: hah, fifed just for the sheer stupidity of it all.

Is it just me or wont the info box close?

Ha.. I accidentally left the [X] button on, click the info box again (it should be renamed 'close') to close the box.

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:23:29

At 8/23/05 10:21 AM, Lialtm wrote: Ha.. I accidentally left the [X] button on, click the info box again (it should be renamed 'close') to close the box.

Ah silly me :)

A link to this is going in my sig for teh n00bs

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:28:32

Ya, lol that was really gay, don't worry i voted five, just reviewed zero because you tricked me T_T. I got the jist after everyone started asking what day it is...

Also, try and make the messages come out more random. They post at too steady of a rate, maybe try making there be pauses and double messages and such between people...

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:39:00

At 8/23/05 10:28 AM, Starogre wrote: Also, try and make the messages come out more random. They post at too steady of a rate, maybe try making there be pauses and double messages and such between people...

Yeah, Denvish has done that.. plus I've changed it so that only people from the user list can talk. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but people that weren't in the user list could still talk.

Change the names, for, and chat function to this:

_root.AIcount = random(10)+12;
names = ["Inglor", "-liam-", "-JackFiore-", "Afro_Ninja", "animatorjones", "AnnoyTheWorld", "BlackmarketKraig", "BlackOut2005", "BleeBlap", "Bloody_angle", "BucketHatBobby", "Buzzwerd", "ChronicLord", "DeadThreat", "Denvish", "dusty_h", "Foreverkul", "frostedmuffins", "fwe", "g-angsta", "Glaiel_Gamer", "GuitarBrdArounO", "GuntherSwanh", "Hexinety", "iceimp", "Jakspeed", "JSilver", "jwags1", "Kirk_Cocaine", "LogoPresents", "mlikecheese", "Mr_Ellipses", "Neo_Pikachu", "Nico_Ownz", "nightcrawlerclock", "Ohls", "RageinCagein", "RANTish", "Razorhawk", "ReNaeNae", "rigor-mortis", "shadow838", "shugo_knight", "SpamBurger", "stickmoose", "trayson", "XeroXcape", "Zen-Zinxe", "T-H", "Wade", "TomFulp", "lilJim", "Tim", "NegativeOne", "SlightlyCrazyDude", "ramagi", "Stamper", "Earfetish"];
for (i=0; i<AIcount; i++) {
nameNum = random(names.length);
_root["user"+i] = names[nameNum];
usernameList.addItem(names[nameNum]);
}
function chat() {
days = ["monday", "tuesday", "wednesday", "thursday", "friday", "saturday", "sunday"];
date = new Date();
day = date.getDay();
user = _root["user"+random(_root.AIcount)];
music = ["Eminem", "Tenacious D", "Fiddy Cent", "50 cent", "Britney spears", "offspring", "the offspring", "system of a down", "lordi", "the gorillaz", "oasis", "elvis", "the Beatles", "some crap", "kaiser chiefs", "the radio", "Pink Floyd"];
fave = ["colour", "car", "country", "website"];
msgs = ["How are you?", "What are you upto?", "What day is it?", "Hows life?", "God I'm bored!", "Whats your favourite "+fave[random(fave.length)]+"?", "I'm good thanks", "Lifes bad :(", "lmao", "stfu n00b", "Fuck off", "GO AWAY YOU PRICK", "Woah", "Whats wrong bitch", "I'm k", "Newgrounds rocks", ":P", ":O", ":)", ":D", "XD", "Hey "+names[random(names.length)], "STFU "+names[random(names.length)], "Does anyone know who I am?", "suuure", "lol", "wot?", "I feel bad man", "I'm starving", "I'm listening to "+music[random(music.length)], names[random(names.length)], "It's "+days[day-1], days[day-1]+"?", "Whatcha listening to?", "listening to music?", "i'm just watching TV", "SPONGEBOB ROOLS!", "Hail me, measly servants", "Bow down to me", "Increduosly", "I can splel", "wtf", "wth", "-_-", "coke, or pepsi?", "coke", "pepsi", "DR.PEPPER.", "I hait sugar."];
sendMessage = msgs[random(msgs.length)];
AImessage = "[ "+user+" ]: "+sendMessage;
outputTxt.text += AImessage;
dtime = random(1500)+200;
clearInterval(interv);
interv = setInterval(chat, dtime);
}

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:47:35

it's cool, i would change one thing though, you should change the interval at which stuff is posted by the bots. it seems timed too perfectly to be real people,, maybe some random generation of post times within a second or two

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:51:53

Lawl, i just said that :P

And liam, you posted the fla for 2004 not MX so i can't change anything in any code >.>

I r not up-to-date =_="

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 10:59:46

Here is the .zip with the MX fla :)

The MX version is also more upto date, oh well :)

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 11:06:40

Is it just me or does the MX one not work whatsoever?

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 11:08:59

At 8/23/05 11:06 AM, Starogre wrote: Is it just me or does the MX one not work whatsoever?

Oh poop, it's because of the UI components that I used I think.

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 11:09:30

At 8/23/05 10:47 AM, s1nt3ch wrote: it's cool, i would change one thing though, you should change the interval at which stuff is posted by the bots. it seems timed too perfectly to be real people,, maybe some random generation of post times within a second or two

omfg you're alive, long time no see... what's up?

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 11:10:15

At 8/23/05 11:08 AM, -liam- wrote:
At 8/23/05 11:06 AM, Starogre wrote: Is it just me or does the MX one not work whatsoever?
Oh poop, it's because of the UI components that I used I think.

Crapz0r >.< Ah well, INGLOR....AS: CHATROOM RIGHT NOW!

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 11:12:20

I have a splendid idea, when a user clicks send you send his sayings to a database, and then you load what all users said when thinking they chat, and you fetch it into the array, I don't mind doing the server side if you need it

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 11:14:42

Haha, do it

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 11:16:39

At 8/23/05 11:12 AM, Inglor wrote: I have a splendid idea, when a user clicks send you send his sayings to a database, and then you load what all users said when thinking they chat, and you fetch it into the array, I don't mind doing the server side if you need it

Huh? Wouldn't that just be doing a normal chatroom?

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 11:16:45

At 8/23/05 11:12 AM, Inglor wrote: I have a splendid idea, when a user clicks send you send his sayings to a database, and then you load what all users said when thinking they chat, and you fetch it into the array, I don't mind doing the server side if you need it

O_o..

I think I understand what you mean.. so the sayings are all user defined without them even knowing it?

BBS Signature

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 11:22:20

At 8/23/05 10:39 AM, Lialtm wrote:
names = [........"Glaiel_Gamer", "GuitarBrdArounO", "GUNTHERSWANH", "Hexinety", "iceimp", "Jakspeed", "JSilver", "jwags1", "Kirk_Cocaine", "LogoPresents",...

Wooow! im getting famous! ^^ Haha! I just watched myself saying i was watching tv four times a row. and was chatting with three denvish'es

Nice fake there though liam! :)

Response to FOSS: 'chatroom' 2005-08-23 11:47:36

I mean the database of phrases grows externally
each time someone plays it it knows how to say more stuff
user says something
php records it in sql
user 2 opens the flash
user 2 ets all the normal messages AND what user1 said