00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ronicalter just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AS: Uber Cursor

1,350 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-20 20:29:30

AS:MAIN, ITS GOOD ENOUGH TO WRITE IN ALL CAPS!

Hi, Sam Goldfield here. Today I'm going to be teaching custom cursors, in a different way that I think is better than Ian00's

Before you do this tutorial, you should know X and Y

Anyway, Step One:
Example of Cursor Draw a cursor in a flash document. Select the whole cursor and press "F8". You may name it anything, preferably cursor so it is easier to find. This is IMPORTANT! Make sure that the registration point, that grey box at the bottom right, has the top left box selected. Otherwise the cursor will feel akward. Now that the basics is done, time to move on.
Continuing Step One, Step Two:
Select your cursor and click "F9". This opens up it's actions. First, we want it to happen when it enters the frame, so there is no delay, so we put:
onClipEvent(enterFrame){
It happens to a movieclip when it enters the frame, immediately. This begins most actions that are put on movieclips or graphics. It begins the form, It being the beginning and the material next the body. Now that we have that, we need to think of what we want it to do. We want it to copy the movieclip's exact X and exact Y. To do this, we should probably use:
_x=_root._xmouse
_y=_root._ymouse
Now that that is ready, we should think what is needed. The mouse has to be hidden of course! So, how we do this seems very simple if you look at it:
Mouse.hide();
There, now we are done. WRONG! We have not finished with the closing of this action. So at the end of all of this, add a:
}

I hope this tutorial has helped, and for all you script wh0res:

onClipEvent(enterFrame){
_x=_root._xmouse
_y=_root._ymouse
Mouse.hide();
}

But seriously, don't be a script wh0re. It's just showing us that you don't care for all of our work and won't give the effort to learn. I spent a while on this and I don't want to see it wasted.

Enjoy your day! :D

BBS Signature

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-20 20:36:47

ummm i was more on the look out for a super uber cursor but i guess im just dreaming

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-20 21:01:25

Lol, I was expecting people to comment with helpful critism for this tutorial more than say how much it sucked. You never get what you wish for.... *sigh* :{

BBS Signature

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-20 21:02:27

At 2/20/06 09:01 PM, United_Assault wrote: You never get what you wish for.... *sigh* :{

i wish people would only make AS threads about topics that matter or are helpful, so i know exactly where youre coming from.

BBS Signature

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-21 00:48:40

My AS: about dragging and dropping kinda covers all this.... you should have at least covered fun stuff like trail or something

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-21 03:17:13

At 2/20/06 08:35 PM, Khao wrote: I think it sucks, seriously, we don't need another one when it does the SAME EXACT THING + your script sucks
onClipEvent(mouseMove){
_x = _root._xmouse;
_y = _root._ymouse;
Mouse.hide();
}
owned.

problem there

use enterFrame, not mouseMove because, mouseMove only executes it when the mouse is moved,so if you go into the frame without moving the mouse, the custom cursor will be hanging somewhere until you move it, enterFrame exectutes it every frame it appears at, nuff said

BBS Signature

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-21 03:27:43

no, you should use mouseMove but update it after every event eg.
onClipEvent(mouseMove){
_x=_root._xmouse
_y=_root._ymouse
Mouse.hide
updateAfterEvent()
}

========|| WWWWWWWW>[-[Blog] - [Audio] - [Userpage] - [Flash] - [Last.fm]-]<WWWWWWWW ||========

BBS Signature

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-21 03:41:08

At 2/20/06 08:35 PM, Khao wrote: owned.

toooo true, there are countles amounts of custom cursor tutorials! and most o them are better than this!

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-21 05:25:29

At 2/21/06 03:17 AM, Hoeloe wrote: use enterFrame, not mouseMove because, mouseMove only executes it when the mouse is moved,so if you go into the frame without moving the mouse, the custom cursor will be hanging somewhere until you move it, enterFrame exectutes it every frame it appears at, nuff said

And therefore enterFrame will slow down the flash file more than mouseMove. If you have too many enterFrame events, you will get lag.

> twitter.

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-21 06:20:45

i would say this is the best drag script!

onClipEvent(load){
_x=_root._xmouse
_y=_root._ymouse
Mouse.hide
}
onClipEvent(mouseMove){
_x=_root._xmouse
_y=_root._ymouse
updateAfterEvent()
}

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-21 07:31:44

At 2/21/06 06:20 AM, -Creepy- wrote: i would say this is the best drag script!

onClipEvent(load){
_x=_root._xmouse
_y=_root._ymouse
Mouse.hide
}
onClipEvent(mouseMove){
_x=_root._xmouse
_y=_root._ymouse
updateAfterEvent()
}

Perhaps, but as soon as you right-click, the mouse will be visible again :P

ey

BBS Signature

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-21 07:36:15

At 2/20/06 08:35 PM, Khao wrote: I think it sucks, seriously, we don't need another one when it does the SAME EXACT THING + your script sucks
onClipEvent(mouseMove){
_x = _root._xmouse;
_y = _root._ymouse;
Mouse.hide();
}
owned.

Yay for KHAO! :D

Response to AS: Uber Cursor 2006-02-21 07:44:33

At 2/21/06 06:20 AM, -Creepy- wrote: i would say this is the best drag script!

onClipEvent(load){
_x=_root._xmouse
_y=_root._ymouse
Mouse.hide
}
onClipEvent(mouseMove){
_x=_root._xmouse
_y=_root._ymouse
updateAfterEvent()
}

onClipEvent(load){
_x=_root._xmouse