00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mcd410 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Heroes

1,208 Views | 17 Replies

Heroes 2006-04-27 01:00:28

I believe the term hero is thrown about way to freely in our society.

If a person scores the winning goal/try/touchdown or whatever in the final seconds of a grand final, or breaks a swimming world record they are not a hero.
They are a champion, fine. But not a hero.

Someone who risks their life to run into a burning building and rescues three kids or something of the sort is a hero.

Now, I am all for the troops of any war. They fight for their country and our way of life and I respect that above all others. But recently an Australian troop died in Iraq when he accidently shot himself (I am alittle sketchy on the details).

This man is most certainly a warrior, but is he a hero?
If it was a firefight they were engaged in, and he had saved the lives of others before his was take, then yes. He is a hero.

But is the act of being there, noble and couragous though it may be, enough to classify someone as a hero?

Is there some other classification that suits them better?

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 01:35:35

I agree with you when you say that it is thrown around as a term to much too large of an extend today. I don't consider firefighters heroes, I consider them public workers. They get paid to do a job that they chose because it's a steady pay check for relatively little work. I don't consider those in the military to be heroes, they're just collecting a pay check for their job.

Am I a hero if I give money to charity or donate blood? No. I'm a charitable person.

Heroism is hard to define, in my opinion. I don't agree with just calling every good-hearted person a hero. Not to say that I don't respect people that do those sorts of jobs, I just don't consider them heroes automatically as a result of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 03:58:09

A hero is a person who is admired and respected by others. If a baseballer player is admired and respected by his fans, than to them he is a hero. You may think he's an idiot, but your oppinion won't mater to those who idolise him. If you look up to your father and hope to be like him someday, he is your hero. If he's a tax accountant, that won't mater to you. He's your hero. All you need to be a hero is somebody who looks up to you and admires you, to that person your a hero. The term is very indevidual. I think of Hunter S. Thompson as my hero, most others think he was a drug addict and a criminal. They're right, but I look up to him as one of the greatest american writers in history. My hero.

You just lost THE GAME

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 05:01:28

A hero can be someone who does something notable in a field, "Hero of Medicine" "Hero of Swimming" etc.

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 05:19:04

you are a heroe, if you complete the quest, or save the maiden

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 05:27:54

At 4/27/06 05:19 AM, TwO_FaCeD_PaRaNoID wrote: you are a heroe, if you complete the quest, or save the maiden

Pfftt, says the dark guy...

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 07:44:12

yes i have heard of this and they tragically mixed up the bodies
no not a hero but a bit of an idiot

BBS Signature

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 07:50:13

At 4/27/06 03:58 AM, zendahl wrote: A hero is a person who is admired and respected by others. If a baseballer player is admired and respected by his fans, than to them he is a hero.

But does just a baseball player, or your father, or some chump on the side of the road that you may look upto deserve the same amount of respect and the same title and an ordinary person, who isn't being paid for it or anything, that saves someones life?

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 08:21:32

At 4/27/06 03:58 AM, zendahl wrote: A hero is a person who is admired and respected by others. If a baseballer player is admired and respected by his fans, than to them he is a hero.

A hero is someone who fights for what he belives in, it may be hopeless and the odds are against him but he keeps doing his best as always and that gives people hope. That hope becomes trust and the trust will turn him into a hero.

I think that a hero always does what he think is right in a way that gives people hope.

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 09:11:17

A man who IM chats with three women at once, women who hate each other as much as they love you, and would block you forever if they found out, that's a hero.

(I've never done that, by the way)

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 11:08:40

At 4/27/06 05:27 AM, Guitarmy wrote:
At 4/27/06 05:19 AM, TwO_FaCeD_PaRaNoID wrote: you are a heroe, if you complete the quest, or save the maiden
Pfftt, says the dark guy...

dude, it doesnt mean i like being like that, its just that you are a heroe when you are like that.

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 18:37:38

At 4/27/06 07:50 AM, PelvicThrusters wrote: But does just a baseball player, or your father, or some chump on the side of the road that you may look upto deserve the same amount of respect and the same title and an ordinary person, who isn't being paid for it or anything, that saves someones life?

Yes. Everybody deserves the same respect as everybody else. Just because you work in a field that has a high possibility that you will die does not mean you're getting paid to die. A soldier is not paid to die, their payed for work done. getting shot is a hazard the choose to endure to get that job done. A hero is a title earned on an individual basis, my hero is somebody elses junkie loser, your hero is somebody elses drop out drug dealer. What if it were a serial killer who ran in and saved a person from a burning building. They saved one guy and killed fifty, but was not paid for saving that one. By your definition this guy is a hero, and most likly would be to the guy he saved. I still think he's a scumbag. One mans trash is another mans hero.

You just lost THE GAME

Response to Heroes 2006-04-27 18:40:40

Heros can be anyone. They help others selflessly against better judgement. Therefore, firefighters are heroes-they go into burning buildings when conventional wisdom says "Stay the fuck away."

Response to Heroes 2006-04-28 09:06:00

At 4/27/06 01:35 AM, Evark wrote:

I don't consider those in the military to be heroes, they're just collecting a pay check for their job.

Nah, you're wrong. I'm totally a hero. I FIGHT TERRORISM!

Response to Heroes 2006-04-28 12:46:08

A heroe can be little more than someone who gives inspiration to others.

Response to Heroes 2006-04-28 13:20:12

At 4/28/06 09:06 AM, Dr_Arbitrary wrote:
At 4/27/06 01:35 AM, Evark wrote:
I don't consider those in the military to be heroes, they're just collecting a pay check for their job.

When I was in the millitary, my job was printing. I never got paid to put my self in danger. Nor did I get paid as much as I would have as a civilian. I took a pay cut to join the military. I wanted to print for the government, I never asked to, or got paid to endanger my life. So no the people who go to war and die, do not get paid for that. In no manual, publication, or guide does it say our job is to die. I know because I printed many of them. I also read them as I like to stay informed about things I'm doing.

You just lost THE GAME

Response to Heroes 2006-04-28 19:46:42

At 4/27/06 05:01 AM, Guitarmy wrote: A hero can be someone who does something notable in a field, "Hero of Medicine" "Hero of Swimming" etc.

I agree, a hero is someone important in a sense, who did something of great importance/ memberance.

Response to Heroes 2006-04-28 19:55:04

Yes, military and emergency employees are merely doing their "jobs" but they can still be heros at the same time. It doesn't mean they are heros to everyone, everyday but they can still be heros to some individualls on some days. If I were in the military and some fellow soldier ran out in gunfire to pull me to safety, he'd be a hero to me, but not necessarily to all 250+ million Americans.