00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JoeSez just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Advertising

19,105 Views | 155 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Advertising 2006-10-20 11:57:05

One of the ongoing side projects for the past few months has been to develop an in-house ad server for Newgrounds, so that we can better manage our third party advertising and eventually sell some of our ad space directly. For the entire life of Newgrounds, we have dealt with low-end ad rates. Part of that is due to advertisers being "scared" of user-generated content, but a lot of the blame falls on us for being a team of artists and programmers rather than sales people and biz-dev guys.

This past year, I've removed a lot of ads that I didn't like on the site and I'm working on removing even more. Ultimately, I want to ditch the pop-ups. We're getting paid less for pop-ups than other large sites are getting for their banner ads. It's frustrating.

I've decided it's time to make an open call: I'm interested in knowing who out there can help us manage our advertising. This would have to be someone with experience in Internet advertising, someone who can wow us with their vast knowledge and ability to monetize the site without making it ugly.

This isn't a job for someone who "thinks" they can do it. We need someone who will step in and sell. We want to class up the joint with attractive ads that are relevant, load fast and pay real advertising dollars instead of pocket change. We aren't selling out; we finally want to stop selling ourselves short. We want to bring in more artists, more programmers, more sponsorships and bigger contests.

If you are a PROFESSIONAL in the Philadelphia area with REAL EXPERIENCE, REAL KNOWLEDGE and the ability to SELL, please email me with your resume. If you are one of those douchey sort of sales people who we wouldn't want to hang out with in the office, please refrain.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 11:58:07

At 10/20/06 11:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: Ultimately, I want to ditch the pop-ups.

Big, BIG <3 to you, Tom.

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 11:58:27

You'll do anything for that money Tom...

;)

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 11:58:52

Ditching the pop-ups, I'm sure everyone is for that. Finding someone with the skills to organize your advertising... I can't help you there.

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 11:59:31

Good move Tom, the site really needs it.

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:00:29

Get rid of those fucking Circuit City adds. They take over my screen!

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:01:19

At 10/20/06 12:00 PM, milinko959 wrote: Get rid of those fucking Circuit City adds. They take over my screen!

seconded. Either way, yaaaaaaaaaaay!

Thanks to Turkeybean for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:03:10

What you need to know tom. How to Whore your self? Thats the easy part.

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:05:17

Too bad, I'm not good at advertising. I'm somewhat in the area and I have the programs nessesary for making advertisements...but thats not my area.

But I certainly hope that you can get rid of popups because not all people have blockers. A lot of people who dont have accounts dont have popup blockers and that doesnt make this site very attractive.

I dont have a popup blocker and I'm bombarded by the stuff here on newgrounds.

expecially those smilely popups.

<3

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:05:53

At 10/20/06 11:58 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 10/20/06 11:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: Ultimately, I want to ditch the pop-ups.
Big, BIG <3 to you, Tom.

second

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:07:15

At 10/20/06 12:00 PM, Grammer wrote: Sorry Tom I'm no ad-expert, but I just wanna know: Are you getitng rid of those annoying circuit city ads that cover up half the screen?

Firefox isn't blocking them >:(

Yeah I fucking hate those. I can't click on certain movies to watch them >:(

No more animated sigs. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:07:42

oly let big bissuiess ad in ?

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:09:47

No more pop-ups :D

I love you!

-Disregard females (fuck bitches)

-Acquire currency (get money)

-Ignite cannabis frequently (smoke sum with your homies)

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:10:31

This message is addressed to Tom Fulp

Is it true that newgrounds gives your computer virsus from the tracking cookies from the advertistments?

In order to become a Leader... U must first serve as a follower

History Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:12:31

I dont get any pop ups so i would be more fo getting rid of the banners :/

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:13:44

At 10/20/06 12:10 PM, WildCatzTy wrote: This message is addressed to Tom Fulp

Is it true that newgrounds gives your computer virsus from the tracking cookies from the advertistments?

Whether or not it's to tom i'll just straighten this out. the ads are third party.. meaning newgrounds has no control over cookies they use.

You cant get a virus from a cookie either.

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:15:04

At 10/20/06 12:10 PM, WildCatzTy wrote: This message is addressed to Tom Fulp

No. Third party ad companies use cookies to track how many ads you have seen and to cap pop-ups. If they could give you a virus through a cookie, it would be a massive security hole in the browser and everyone would have viruses at this point.

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:16:15

At 10/20/06 12:01 PM, Ejit wrote: Anyway, about the annoying ads being deleted, I heard you were going to delete the infamous mosquito banner, it doesn't seemed to have gone yet, is it going to in the near future?

The mosquito ad is an example of how it is hard to control 3rd part ad code. I reguarly send emails and use web forms to pull the mosquito ad from third party rotations, yet it continues to find its way back over and over again.

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:16:43

Good bye to mosquito? WOOHOO!

Although uh, you are running a risk opening up to the newgrounds population. Hope you don't get too many weirdos applying.

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:22:27

WOOTNESS for maybe getting rid of the pop-ups.
I don't think i wold be good for the job... Lemonade stands is as far as I go. And and would be a real pain flying from Scotland all the way to America every day...

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:29:07

Nice, good to know the popups are going.

If in any way you disagree with this post, understand that you're a cunt.

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:31:58

although immeaditly i would of gone: OMG I CAN DO IT...

i can't lol but i wanna ditch pop up's too

PS: Wooooot Under 25th Post

Current Projects: (animation will start after Christmas when I get a Bamboo Fun)

ToddToons EP1 Technologically Assisted

Living the Life EP1 (written by Luke Goodwin)

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:32:26

I have no profession, but I am pretty good at advertising.

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:33:04

At 10/20/06 12:29 PM, Krum wrote: Nice, good to know the popups are going.

Don't get your hopes up just yet. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:35:35

Maybe you should have those full page ads... when someone goes to view a flash and then you can either skip or it refreshes in 10 seconds.

Just food for thought.

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:38:33

At 10/20/06 12:35 PM, EviLDoG wrote: Maybe you should have those full page ads... when someone goes to view a flash and then you can either skip or it refreshes in 10 seconds.

Just food for thought.

Yeah... For some reason those ads annoy me more than pop-ups. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:39:04

Don't you think that hiring somone you don't even know is not such a good idea?

They could bankrupt you if they wanted.

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:39:32

ok if you say so

The worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades.

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:40:11

Go figure, I work in an advertising agency and I deal in radio, TV and print but I've never touched the internet. It's kind of frustrating cause it would have been fun to directly contribute to Newgrounds.

That and I don't live anywhere near the mentionned area. I'm sure you'll find a good person for the job though.

Death to the 'SAY something, wahh?' ads.

Response to Advertising 2006-10-20 12:44:27

Good luck with that :)

I hardly ever come here anymore....

BBS Signature