00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CloudSavage just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voting Ideas

6,511 Views | 60 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 19:18:51

Put your art contest voting ideas HERE.

To reiterate from the front page post:

Judging these contests is taking years off our lives so I'm setting up a forum post where you can list ideas on how users can have a clearer voice in the voting process. We'd still have the power to override decisions, but we'd like a better way to gauge reactions from everybody.

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 19:26:51

At 11/1/06 07:23 PM, ShirtTurtle wrote: Just be simple and give you guys (the administrators) all the power and vote as a group.
simple as that.

as he stated, it takes a lot of time and effort, they are trying to move away from this :)

i'm thinking of some idea's johnny, all i can think of has something to do with robot turkeys (dammit ATHF!)

i'll be back when i get a better idea ;)

blobstagramblobsite

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 19:27:40

At 11/1/06 07:23 PM, ShirtTurtle wrote: Just be simple and give you guys (the administrators) all the power and vote as a group.
simple as that.

thats what we've been doing....I'm asking for how the users can be more involved. besides posting sporadic comments in the art thread, that is.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 19:31:35

A voting system similar to the Flash Portal's? :P

But that would probably take even more years away, what with the programming... so nevermind. D:

I'll sleep on it.

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 19:33:30

At 11/1/06 07:31 PM, blanblan wrote: A voting system similar to the Flash Portal's? :P

Or maybe do it monthly portal awards style?

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 19:34:39

Since this topic ran much too long, and there's TONS of great entries, I think you should have twice as many prizes, just to be a little more fair, or perhaps have a couple catagories like Most Original, Most Artistic, etc.

Glad to know to they'll only be two weeks from now on, that more reasonable, and hopefully I'll actually want to participate in the next one :P

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 19:49:24

At 11/1/06 07:33 PM, DFox wrote:
At 11/1/06 07:31 PM, blanblan wrote: A voting system similar to the Flash Portal's? :P
Or maybe do it monthly portal awards style?

To help at least narrow the list down for you guys... seriously to go through the entire thread deciding on the best out of all those entries; I dunno how I'd choose the best like you had to...

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 20:13:02

At 11/1/06 07:51 PM, Gmagnum wrote:

But that would probably take even more years away, what with the programming... so nevermind. D:

I'll sleep on it.
Something like this?

That seems like it would work, I'm not sure how they could do sometime like that thou It looks like a good idea. But like he said that would most likely take ages. Hows that pad treating you bug xD?

"Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 20:17:44

just have one of those simple polls. like the one on here (at the bottom of the menu on the left, were it says "will you push the orange button today?" or something, and theres two opsions. sorry, this is the first place i could think of that had it off the top of my head) that has all the entrys. i don't know how hard that would be, with so many entries, but its an idear.

what do i win D:

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 20:22:05

At 11/1/06 07:33 PM, DFox wrote: Or maybe do it monthly portal awards style?

ew, i hate the monthly voting panel, it's so poorly done, i hope they redo it :(

but yeah, something like that that works doesn't sound too bad.

blobstagramblobsite

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 20:22:28

i say you guys(The NG staff) pick out the finalist. then we flood you'r inbox with the name of the person we think should win and you basicly count them up from there. the only problum would be alts mass sending. well thats all i got

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 20:33:16

At 11/1/06 08:22 PM, Imacow wrote: i say you guys(The NG staff) pick out the finalist. then we flood you'r inbox with the name of the person we think should win and you basicly count them up from there. the only problum would be alts mass sending. well thats all i got

no offense, but this seems even more annoying than what they are previously doing. the admins get so many PM's as it is, adding even more would cause wade's head to explode :P not trying to insult your idea, just trying to help out others with ideas :)

blobstagramblobsite

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 20:37:40

please dont give users power PLEASE. PLEASE. see you guys actually know shit. maybe you dont know this yet but we dont. the majority of us dont. including me.

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 20:43:20

At 11/1/06 07:51 PM, Gmagnum wrote:

I'll sleep on it.
Something like this?

Ugg that seems like a very very bad idea. It works for flash true but it is not needed for the art forum since the mods ban crap drawings anyway, I'd say we post the top 10 entries we like or something like that. There was also this odd system done on another site, where they would have two randomly chosen entries (generated by the computer). And then you would vote for which entry do you like better, the entry on the lleft or the entry on the right? After getting a lot of votes they were somehow able to use that to determine the winners. However they had exactly 1000 entries (don't ask), and the process took months to get enough votes. However the website is much much smaller, and has much people on it then newgrounds.

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 20:44:55

I ment to say it has much less people on it then newgrounds. darn typos.

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 21:07:06

okay since it's only going to be two weeks now, why not let the artist submit they art for the two weeks, the Admins (or figures of power) go though get rid of the crap; then post each picture like a review for a flash movie, where it has the "Yes" "No" Abusive" chooses (but without the abusive one).

Then for a week have the NGer's let at it, then Mods and Admins come though look at the results, settle any disputes, and post a winner.

But even though I know its troubling on the powers that be (Mods and/or admins) I do perfer the way it is now beings as its been said, you guys know what you're talking about, so its far.

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 21:07:13

What about an Art Portal? That would be cool. 8)

FUCK THE CLOCK CREW

YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS YIFF IN HELL FURFGAS

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 21:43:56

A voting system would be nice, but I'm sure there'll be people who'd find a way around it and abuse it to make themselves or friends win.

XBOX LIVE /// KevRS

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 21:44:34

At 11/1/06 09:07 PM, SonicFreak122 wrote: What about an Art Portal? That would be cool. 8)

This suggestion came up when the Art Forum first started. An art portal would do a huge disservice to one of Newground's affiliates, Retrogade.

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 21:49:01

The easiest way I can think of right now with the forum would be to make a thread where everyone lists their top5 favorites, then you give 5 points for each first place, 4 for second etc and then count who's got the highest total.

Though that would probably require some page where all the entries can be seen or something...

Then I guess you can pick within the top ten entries in any order you want.

But this method will still waste giant chunks of your time, and alt accounts can cheat.

Otherwise, we'll have to wait for a "poll" option to appear, where people could pick from a top10 or top20 staff-selected entries.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 22:08:11

At 11/1/06 09:49 PM, poxpower wrote: Otherwise, we'll have to wait for a "poll" option to appear, where people could pick from a top10 or top20 staff-selected entries.

There's a system very much like that over at Heromorph where they have a page where all the entries can be seen all together as thumbnails and can be clicked and then a large poll on the front page where you can vote for them. The downside is all it takes to vote again is to register a new account on a different e-mail and vote for yourself again.

XBOX LIVE /// KevRS

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 22:16:23

I'd suggest a little vote bar similar to the flash portal that is available on images in contest threads, but have the reults only viewable to the topic starter, that way people competing can't guage who's winning and just vote them down.

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 22:33:32

I think there definitely needs to be an admin selection of "finalists."

What to do with the finalists is the next step. Here's my idea:

Have the previous contest's winners vote on the current contest's finalists. That way the prizes get spread around and new artists are featured. When you win a contest, and then vote on the next contest, you're free to enter the contest immediately following the one you voted on. Sure, you can always create alt accounts and try to vote AND win, but all admin has to do is keep track of mailing addresses for a month to prevent that.

Have the panelists' votes based on a 1-5 scale for each of the following: originality, technical merit, theme appropriateness, humor. I also think each member of the voting panel should write a short review for each entry to accompany/justify their score. They should also help decide the topic for the next contest. Oh, and have a guest judge thrown in there every so often to spice things up.

The main rationale behind this approach is that the art submissions should be judged by qualified artists to prevent it from becoming a popularity contest & dominated by 13 yr old doofuses.

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 22:37:36

Hmmm,, either online poll or ballots, those are pretty good ways I guess. The thing with polls is there will be too many, so shave off with ballots then switch to polls.

Kill a man, you're a murderer, kill many, you're a conqueror, kill 'em all, and you're a god!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 23:07:01

At 11/1/06 09:44 PM, TJ wrote:
At 11/1/06 09:07 PM, SonicFreak122 wrote: What about an Art Portal? That would be cool. 8)
This suggestion came up when the Art Forum first started. An art portal would do a huge disservice to one of Newground's affiliates, Retrogade.

and I think they're doing a huge disservice to us by blatantly copying ideas from newgrounds..

but i guess thats my own humble opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 23:09:37

I say we make it as similar as possible to the 'Monthly Best' voting system Newgrounds already has set up. Of course, different and more specific guidelines would have to be set up to make only certain users have the ability to vote (much like having the top 2000 users vote monthlies).

Perhaps, all past contest winners and honorable mentions would get rights to vote, along with all of the mods. That way, there would be a strong artistically and mentally stable group of people to vote. The list would keep on growing with every new contest, and each winners would be added to the pile.

...this might start out with TOO small a group, so maybe just stick with top 2000 users...

It's important to take into consideration WHO votes exactly. We don't need people who submit Paint drawings to these contest voting on where the prize money goes. But I'm sure you all knew that, and you'll make up your minds correctly in the end.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 23:12:40

I imagine it would be hard to implement, but it would be pretty cool if, after the contest deadline, all the submissions from the thread were compiled into a single page of thumbnail images that could be clicked to bring up the full images, and from there every user could pick a certain number of the ones they thought were best (like maybe their favorite 5 or 10), and within the ones they chose, give them a numerical score, broken down into 3 or 4 different qualities (like Drawing Ability/Effort, Originality/Concept, and Humor-- and then maybe another one directly related to the theme of the contest, like "horror" for a halloween contest, etc) along with a few optional sentences about why they scored it the way they did. Then the highest scoring of the most popular picks could be tallied up and organized by score, on a page visible only to the judges. The scores and comments wouldn't be public, so no one would be enticed to vote higher or lower based on how well a given entry appears to be doing so far (and so that people don't go apeshit if there's a big discrepancy between the popular opinion and the final decision of the judges).

It'd probably take months to set something like that up efficiently, but the advantage would be an easily readable computer-sorted summary of the people's opinion for the staff to read over quickly; and everyone can still get their 2 cents in.

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-01 23:39:59

At 11/1/06 11:07 PM, JohnnyUtah wrote: and I think they're doing a huge disservice to us by blatantly copying ideas from newgrounds..

but i guess thats my own humble opinion.

WOW. I've never seen that site before, but all I can say is the similarities are disturbing. The features are identical to Newgrounds, and even some of the people who work on it :( Hell, it looks like it's a division of Newgrounds. I mean every aspect is like identical...

I changed my opinion. I think you guys should make an art portal integrated into Newgrounds.

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-02 00:01:47

At 11/1/06 11:39 PM, DFox wrote: WOW. I've never seen that site before, but all I can say is the similarities are disturbing. The features are identical to Newgrounds, and even some of the people who work on it :( Hell, it looks like it's a division of Newgrounds. I mean every aspect is like identical...

is that legal at all?

BBS Signature

Response to Voting Ideas 2006-11-02 00:08:38

At 11/2/06 12:01 AM, Bizarro wrote: is that legal at all?

Well I don't think they are really infringing on anything that's copyrighted, so I think it's perfectly legal. Ethical, certainly not. Cool, no.

That's why I think NG should have an art portal. That would shut them down. I mean seriously, it's pathetic. It's hard to find a feature on that site that wasn't grabbed from Newgrounds :(