00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dyslexic-nitwit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds.io Help & Support

47,320 Views | 137 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-07-19 14:34:58

At 7/19/21 02:16 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
At 7/19/21 01:45 PM, GrayFoxBoi wrote: Hey there, I have a bit of a problem regarding uploading art. Whenever I try to upload art, I'm greeted with this
Did I do something bad? Was this a glitch in Newground's servers or something?
I'm not very tech savvy so I don't know what word to use, hence the usage of the word "server"
I really hope this is just a glitch and that I didn't do anything to fuck up my account here on Newgrounds.
Should be fixed now

OMG Dude, Thank you so much for fixing this!

To understand one thing:

All new and old flash/html/unity/all kind of supported game platform will work as it should?

I mean flash API, unity API, HTML/JS API and other APIs will be available anytime, especially flash API?

Not a good NSFW artist, not a good programmer, but a very good meat beater

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-08-16 12:08:35

hey, so I'm curious on if there is (or will be) a fork of newgrounds.io specifically for C/C++ and emscripten, official or not. if there isn't I might attempt it (although I can't promise anything cuz im kinda shit at emscripten, only really throwing together basic video + sound tests oops)

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-02 00:31:04

At 12/29/17 11:51 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Are you trying to unlock a medal instantly just to see if it works? If so, you may be sending the API call before the user object has been loaded from the server. You shouldn't make any unlock calls until after your login stuff has called your onLoggedIn() method.

Does that mean any test function calls should be stored in a separate <script> below the other API codes?

OviVixen Master Demo (18+)

BBS Signature

At 9/2/21 12:31 AM, OviManic wrote: Does that mean any test function calls should be stored in a separate <script> below the other API codes?

I don't think "below" is going to do much, because the API is called asynchronously (you send a request, some time passes while your other code continues to execute, and you get a response later). This won't work (pseudocode):

var medals;
ngio.getMedals( |save to medals variable| );
medals.forEach((medal) => { |stuff| }); // getMedals() didn't get a response at this point yet

That's why Ngio uses callbacks (pass a function that will be called once the method is done). E.g.:

ngio.requestLogin(onLoggedIn, onLoginFailed, onLoginCancelled);

function onLoggedIn() { |logged in successfully| }
function onLoginFailed() { |failed to log in for some reason| }
function onLoginCancelled() { |the user refused to log in| }

Looking at your game:

iu_406884_4428769.png

my guess is that you attempt to get the list of medals too early before everything is properly initialized.

I'd take a look at the examples here, see if it helps. Generally, first and foremost you initialise ngio with your app id and encryption key, then initSession (requestLogin if needed) and then you may use it as you wish (use callbacks from onLoggedIn).

If you're working with some engine that destroys objects between scenes/levels (e.g. Unity), make sure to pass the initialized ngio object between the scenes.

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-02 03:46:18

At 9/2/21 03:28 AM, RaIix wrote: Looking at your game:

my guess is that you attempt to get the list of medals too early before everything is properly initialized.

I'd take a look at the examples here, see if it helps. Generally, first and foremost you initialise ngio with your app id and encryption key, then initSession (requestLogin if needed) and then you may use it as you wish (use callbacks from onLoggedIn).
If you're working with some engine that destroys objects between scenes/levels (e.g. Unity), make sure to pass the initialized ngio object between the scenes.

Thanks for responding! Um, this is embarrassing. While I’m not sure this is the exact reason why that error is popping up, but I’ve reset the project’s ID and encryption without updating it index for it. I assume since nobody cannot even unlock the medals or scores in the first place, I might as well not save any changes UNTIL those assets are fully functional. Even so, what you said does help a lot, because I was struggling with that same problem even with the proper ID and Encryption.

Hold on! I’m gonna update the project right now with everything in check. This version might be better because it has those “login” functions that puzzled me for the longest time. Talk to you in a bit!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-02 04:55:56

At 9/2/21 03:28 AM, RaIix wrote: my guess is that you attempt to get the list of medals too early before everything is properly initialized.

So, I’ve updated the game with all the fixins: I even have the logos and Intsession ready this time. Still can’t unlock medals and post scores, in a sense similar to the bitbucket example, (the example that I started this whole thing with, believe it or not). This afternoon, I’m gonna do some more fixing to see if I can FINALLY pull it off!

But anyways, thanks again for your input, man! It’s help like this that keep a man going! 👍

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-07 14:46:51

Hey! I'm trying to get Rojekabcrojekabc's Newgrounds API plugin for Godot working, but I keep being met with a TLS handshake error. I believe I have everything set up the way it's supposed to be both in the Godot project and on the API page, the JSON file it's sending also seems to be right, but it still produces the error. This even happens in the example project that comes with the plugin. Any possible help?

the high roller is my favorite they/them lesbian

BBS Signature

At 9/7/21 02:46 PM, Scootakip wrote: Hey! I'm trying to get Rojekabcrojekabc's Newgrounds API plugin for Godot working, but I keep being met with a TLS handshake error. I believe I have everything set up the way it's supposed to be both in the Godot project and on the API page, the JSON file it's sending also seems to be right, but it still produces the error. This even happens in the example project that comes with the plugin. Any possible help?

I don't think I ever got that Godot plugin to work directly, but I cannibalized its code and got Godot medals and leaderboards working. The code I had for a leaderboard was

var newgroundsio_request

newgroundsio_request = HTTPRequest.new()
	add_child(newgroundsio_request)
	if OS.has_feature('JavaScript'):
		var request_parameters = '{"app_id": "##########", "session_id": "' + str(JavaScript.eval('var urlParams = new URLSearchParams(window.location.search); urlParams.get("ngio_session_id")', true)) + '", "call": {"component": "ScoreBoard.postScore", "parameters": {"id": ##########, "value": ' + str(ceil(SceneLoader.goo_left)) + '}}}'
		newgroundsio_request.request("https://www.newgrounds.io/gateway_v3.php", ["Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded"], true, HTTPClient.METHOD_POST,
			"input=" + request_parameters.percent_encode()
		)

You would need to put your own app ID and leaderboard ID where I have the ####, and use whatever value you want to post to the leaderboard instead of goo_left.

The code for medals was similar but the request parameters were

var request_parameters = '{"app_id": "########", "session_id": "' + str(JavaScript.eval('var urlParams = new URLSearchParams(window.location.search); urlParams.get("ngio_session_id")', true)) + '", "call": {"component": "Medal.unlock", "parameters": {"id": ########}}}'

I would post it to NG.io but this few lines of code would hardly constitute an API. And I haven't incorporated encryption.

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-07 22:35:29

At 9/7/21 10:12 PM, 3p0ch wrote:
At 9/7/21 02:46 PM, Scootakip wrote: Hey! I'm trying to get Rojekabcrojekabc's Newgrounds API plugin for Godot working, but I keep being met with a TLS handshake error. I believe I have everything set up the way it's supposed to be both in the Godot project and on the API page, the JSON file it's sending also seems to be right, but it still produces the error. This even happens in the example project that comes with the plugin. Any possible help?
I don't think I ever got that Godot plugin to work directly, but I cannibalized its code and got Godot medals and leaderboards working. The code I had for a leaderboard was
You would need to put your own app ID and leaderboard ID where I have the ####, and use whatever value you want to post to the leaderboard instead of goo_left.

I would post it to NG.io but this few lines of code would hardly constitute an API. And I haven't incorporated encryption.

Thanks for the reply, but I actually managed to get it working (I think) a few hours ago. Turns out the plugin works if you don't include the cert file that comes with the plugin

the high roller is my favorite they/them lesbian

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-08 11:08:52

@3amsoda came up with this solution using the JavaScript library in Godot: https://3amsoda.newgrounds.com/news/post/1208676

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-08 11:25:40

At 9/8/21 11:08 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:

@3amsoda came up with this solution using the JavaScript library in Godot: https://3amsoda.newgrounds.com/news/post/1208676

Will take a look after work today. The easiest implementation for most devs might be if we make a ngio.gd script that runs all the JS internally so they can pop it into their game as an AutoLoad.

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-08 11:33:01

At 9/8/21 11:25 AM, 3p0ch wrote:
At 9/8/21 11:08 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:

Will take a look after work today. The easiest implementation for most devs might be if we make a ngio.gd script that runs all the JS internally so they can pop it into their game as an AutoLoad.

Let me know if you have any questions setting it up i'd be happy to help. My solution was just an html shell and calling methods with godots javascript singleton.

Worth noting that 4.0 is introducing a new way to integrate with javascript. So complex solutions might break with that release.

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-09 01:34:08

At 9/8/21 11:33 AM, 3amsoda wrote: Let me know if you have any questions setting it up i'd be happy to help. My solution was just an html shell and calling methods with godots javascript singleton.

Worth noting that 4.0 is introducing a new way to integrate with javascript. So complex solutions might break with that release.

Thanks, poking around the .js files showed me how to implement encryption. I think I've got it working and posted a Godot script to use NewGrounds.io on my newsfeed at

https://3p0ch.newgrounds.com/news/post/1209048

for any Godot devs to test out and let me know if it works or doesn't for them.

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-11 07:59:56

@PsychoGoldfish Can the scoreboards get another option (aside from "standard" and "incremental") to always keep the most recently posted score, regardless of whether it's higher or lower than the previous score? If so, the scoreboards could be commandeered to serve as cloudsave data storage.

IDK if the system currently saves every score that gets sent to the API -- you can see lower scores than a player's all-time high if you change the score reporting time window so it must at least store separate high scores for each day, but I'm not sure if it saves every score if multiple scores are posted on the same day. If it does, it might just be a matter of giving ScoreBoard.getScores an option to get just the most recent score for a player.

It might also be nice to add an option to not show the scoreboard on the game's page if it's just being used for cloudsaving purposes, but not absolutely necessary.

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-11 12:31:44

At 9/11/21 07:59 AM, 3p0ch wrote: @PsychoGoldfish Can the scoreboards get another option (aside from "standard" and "incremental") to always keep the most recently posted score, regardless of whether it's higher or lower than the previous score? If so, the scoreboards could be commandeered to serve as cloudsave data storage.

IDK if the system currently saves every score that gets sent to the API -- you can see lower scores than a player's all-time high if you change the score reporting time window so it must at least store separate high scores for each day, but I'm not sure if it saves every score if multiple scores are posted on the same day. If it does, it might just be a matter of giving ScoreBoard.getScores an option to get just the most recent score for a player.

It might also be nice to add an option to not show the scoreboard on the game's page if it's just being used for cloudsaving purposes, but not absolutely necessary.

Or, better alternative, I could just make cloud saves instead of hacking a tool not intended to be used that way. Those are actually coming soon.

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-14 16:52:28

when i preview my game i get LOGIN NG PASSPORT but when i click proceed the code doesnt do the (onloggdin) script

like im not logged in or something

https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/1749128/preview

i followed the unity pdf guide. it posts scores in unity editor but not when i upload as webgl

any help is appreciated

heres my code

https://easyupload.io/judkyy

hmph. amateurs.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-15 17:41:53

Hi there.

At 9/14/21 04:52 PM, ZabuJard wrote: i followed the unity pdf guide.

No – not quite. This is your code:

void Start()
{	
   ng_core.onReady(() => 
   {
      requestLogin();

ng_core.checkLogin((bool logged_in) => {
      if (logged_in)
      {
          onLoggedIn();
      }
      else
      {
          requestLogin();
      }
   });
}

Also, right after that:

void Update()
{
    int scoreValue = 706;
    NGSubmitScore(10792, scoreValue);
}

The visual pdf guide by GeckoMLA19097 looks slightly different.

You need to understand that every time you call something with ngio, it's not instant. It takes some time, while your other code continues to execute.

That means you call requestLogin and then immediately you checkLogin but it will fail if you're not already logged in, resulting in another requestLogin call. It might have worked in Editor because you were already logged in from your previous attempts or something.

Don't attempt to post the score in Update, either. That's sending many, many calls per second until you quit the game and you should definitely avoid that.

GameObject.Find(string).GetComponent() in Update is also slow as heck by the way, but that's probably a discussion for another time.

If you want to test things quickly, add the post score function to OnClick event of a button or something, like this:

iu_419358_4428769.png

public int scoreboard_id = 10792;
public void NGSubmitScore(int score)
{			
  io.newgrounds.components.ScoreBoard.postScore submit_score = new io.newgrounds.components.ScoreBoard.postScore();
  submit_score.id = scoreboard_id;
  submit_score.value = score;		
  submit_score.callWith(ng_core, OnScoreSubmitted);				
}

void OnScoreSubmitted(postScore post)
{
  Debug.Log($"Post '{post.score.formatted_value}' score to scoreboard '{post.scoreboard.name}'.");

var txt = GameObject.Find("Textz").GetComponent<Text>();
  txt.text = "submitted score";
}

I edited your code slightly, see here: NgHelper Test.zip. I didn't test it on Newgrounds, but it's essentially the same code from the pdf guide. Let me know if it helps.

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-09-25 22:53:52

I think this API implementation for GDevelop is as good as I can get it. It's only designed to implement medals and leaderboards, but for various reasons that would make it tough to have a more general implementation of the API (lack of ability to handle callbacks sensibly in GDevelop itself, inability to have optional/unlimited parameters to functions, and pain-in-the-butt factor if I force devs to encode variables in a long string from GDevelop to pass to JavaScript API calls) I think this might be the easiest and most practical approach.

https://3p0ch.newgrounds.com/news/post/1211786

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-10-15 13:14:16

I have looked through these and still can't figure it out. There has to be a hero out there, someone here who is about to be the hero of all heroes... Someone HAS to know.

I followed the pdf every step of the way and am left without a clue of what else to do to get the metals and highscore posting. I have the correct API keys(copied directly), tried with and without the Output Network Data bool checked and the function is being called (tested with Debug.Log) but nothing is working..

What I am working with:

My Nghelper
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;

public class NGHelper : MonoBehaviour
{
    public io.newgrounds.core ngio_core;

void onLoggedIn()
    {
        io.newgrounds.objects.user player = ngio_core.current_user;       
        SceneManager.LoadScene(0);
    }

void onLoginFailed()
    {
        io.newgrounds.objects.error error = ngio_core.login_error;
    }

void onLoginCancelled()
    {

}

void requestLogin()
    {
        ngio_core.requestLogin(onLoggedIn, onLoginFailed, onLoginCancelled);
    }

// Start is called before the first frame update
    void Start()
    {
        ngio_core.onReady(() =>
        {
            ngio_core.checkLogin((bool logged_in) =>
            {

if (logged_in)
                {
                    onLoggedIn();
                }
                else
                {
                    requestLogin();
                }

});

});
    }

public void unlockMedal(int medal_id)
    {

io.newgrounds.components.Medal.unlock medal_unlock = new io.newgrounds.components.Medal.unlock();

medal_unlock.id = medal_id;
        medal_unlock.callWith(ngio_core);      

}

public void NGSubmitScore(int score_id, int score)
    {

io.newgrounds.components.ScoreBoard.postScore submit_score = new io.newgrounds.components.ScoreBoard.postScore();
        submit_score.id = score_id;
        submit_score.value = score;
        submit_score.callWith(ngio_core);       
    }

}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// I am calling these fuctions by:

FindObjectOfType<NGHelper>().unlockMetal(55555); // for metals -

FindObjectOfType<NGHelper>().NGSubmitScore(55555, myVar.GetScore()); // for scoreboards

The only thing I haven't tried yet is storing them in a variable instead of hard coding them. Is that required?

If anyone has any experience with this issue and wants some good karma... Please save me!

I have been almost 5 hours of trying everything and still nothing! Any help would be beyond appreciated

At 10/15/21 01:14 PM, GraeBush wrote:

void onLoggedIn()
{
    io.newgrounds.objects.user player = ngio_core.current_user;       
    SceneManager.LoadScene(0);
 }

Hi,

just a hunch, but a quick question based on this part – do you load a different scene when the player is logged in?

Unless you take some precautions (Object.DontDestroyOnLoad, or an additively loaded scene), this would destroy the NGio GameObject and it wouldn't be available in the scene you load.

If it's not this, I'll try to help you debug it to get it working.

At 10/15/21 02:26 PM, RaIix wrote:
At 10/15/21 01:14 PM, GraeBush wrote:
Hi,
just a hunch, but a quick question based on this part – do you load a different scene when the player is logged in?
Unless you take some precautions (Object.DontDestroyOnLoad, or an additively loaded scene), this would destroy the NGio GameObject and it wouldn't be available in the scene you load.

If it's not this, I'll try to help you debug it to get it working.

Thanks for the help. I just followed the steps of the pdf and just added the first scene to load when signed in. I also prefab'd everything and added it to each scene. Should I only use one instance of the NGio and carry it over with a Singleton like you suggested?

At 10/15/21 03:24 PM, GraeBush wrote: I also prefab'd everything and added it to each scene. Should I only use one instance of the NGio and carry it over with a Singleton like you suggested?

That's much better, because then it doesn't have to initialize itself again in every scene, which takes time, and breaks references. In my project, I just initialize it in the menu and run DontDestroyOnLoad on it and keep it forever (and use it when needed).

Also, with your current code, I believe every scene would now send you back to Scene 0 again (and again, and again…).

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-10-15 15:42:55

Also, with your current code, I believe every scene would now send you back to Scene 0.

Thank you so much. I will make those changes. I will also remove that line loading the initial scene as well. I really appreciate it. Let me see real quick

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-10-15 16:46:37

Problem Solved. Huge Thank you for taking the time to walk me through that!

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-12-10 18:12:08

Have we got a problem now because of that Capcha?

https://newgrounds.io/gateway_v3.php

iu_493984_1308849.png

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-12-26 13:40:23

I'm using Unity and I believe that I've successfully got posting scores working because there are no errors being thrown out but I can't see any leaderboard on the page for the game. It's not published yet but in preview at the moment. When is the leaderboard visible to make sure that it's working properly?

I've got medals working so the connection between the game and NewGrounds should work.

At 12/26/21 01:40 PM, AnderssonKev wrote: I can't see any leaderboard on the page for the game. It's not published yet but in preview at the moment.

Yeah, neither medals nor scoreboards are visible under the game in preview. But they will be there after you publish the project.

If you want to be really sure you got it working, call the getScores component and log the results. Something like:

// See: http://www.newgrounds.io/help/components/#scoreboard-getscores

public void LoadScore(int scoreboardId)
{
    var getScores = new io.newgrounds.components.ScoreBoard.getScores();
    getScores.id = scoreboardId;
    getScores.period = "A"; // all-time
    getScores.social = false;
    getScores.limit = 10; // you need to set this, otherwise it will be "0"
    getScores.callWith(ngioCore, OnScoresLoaded); // assuming 'ngioCore' is your core.cs component
}

void OnScoresLoaded(io.newgrounds.results.ScoreBoard.getScores result)
{
  if (result.success)
  {
    for (int i = 0; i < result.scores.Count; i++)
    {
      var score = (io.newgrounds.objects.score) result.scores[i];
      Debug.Log($"{score.user.name}:  {score.value}");
    }
  }
}

I didn't test it, but if I'm not mistaken, it should pull the last ten scores from your scoreboard. If your scoreboard is set up correctly and you posted scores to the scoreboard before, you should see them logged in the console.

Also if you enable output_network_data in the core, it will log the server response when you post a score. If it returns "success": true, everything went well.

Server Response:
{"success":true,"app_id":"00000:7AmKXjdJ","result":[{"component":"ScoreBoard.postScore",
"data":{"success":true,"scoreboard":{"id":10978,"name":"Score"},
"score":{"formatted_value":"100","value":100,"tag":null}}}]}

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2021-12-28 01:18:43

At 12/27/21 03:16 AM, RaIix wrote:
At 12/26/21 01:40 PM, AnderssonKev wrote: I can't see any leaderboard on the page for the game. It's not published yet but in preview at the moment.
Yeah, neither medals nor scoreboards are visible under the game in preview. But they will be there after you publish the project.

If you want to be really sure you got it working, call the getScores component and log the results. Something like:

I didn't test it, but if I'm not mistaken, it should pull the last ten scores from your scoreboard. If your scoreboard is set up correctly and you posted scores to the scoreboard before, you should see them logged in the console.

Also if you enable output_network_data in the core, it will log the server response when you post a score. If it returns "success": true, everything went well.

This is amazing, thank you so much!

Response to Newgrounds.io Help & Support 2022-06-09 15:23:51

estou começando agora nessa plataforma e me inscrevi no programa de receitas ,faço jogos html , e queria saber , se :

1: Quando eu postar um jogo ele será monetizado só por estar no programa ?

2: Eu preciso usar alguma coisa no meu jogo para conseguir monetizar ou seja não é só deixar lá ,preciso adicionar nele algo na programação ou junto a pasta do arquivo ?

3: Não entendi sobre o "newgrounds.io" ,quer dizer que meu jogo html5 não monetizara só de deixar ele aqui no meu perfil ,e precisarei usar essa "API" ( obs: sou novo em algumas coisas em programação ,só sei usar engine ,nunca usei uma api ) ,alguém poderia me dizer passo a passo como monetizo meu jogo na plataforma ,uso a engine "Gdeveloper5" .Se alguém puder me explicar os passos e se eu preciso usar a api como e de qual forma eu uso .

4:Não achei vídeos brasileiros sobre essas minha duvidas e se eu souber ajudarei mais pessoas a ingressarem na plataforma ,agora se alguém conhece algum tutorial por video explicando ou que já tem mais tempo ,puder me ajudar serei grato (obs: soou desenvolvedor indie )