00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Project / Publishing System!

21,330 Views | 70 Replies
Respond to this Topic

New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 15:02:16

If you missed it, I posted a 2019 Recap over the weekend. We had one more item before the end of the decade, though:

New Project / Publishing System

@PsychoGoldfish just released a big overhaul of our Project System! This update applies to Movie, Game and Audio projects. Art uploads already use our new layout but we’ll be migrating them to this system for features like co-authoring and software / equipment crediting.

A lot of things have changed and there could be bugs; please pm me with reports of any bugs or confusion you come across. You’re also welcome to reply in this thread with general thoughts and suggestions; we’re curious to hear what everyone thinks.

Known issues so far: Pre-existing thumbnails are showing up off-center in the thumbnailer at the moment.

What changed:

When creating a new project, you now start directly on the project details form, rather than a page that asks for a new project name. Your project will auto-save details as you fill out the form.

The left navbar has been removed and secondary options such as “Users & Credits” are now options at the bottom of the page.

The “Users & Credits” tab merges three previous pages: Project Members, Credits and Revenue Sharing. This is also where you credit music and whatever products or equipment were used (e.g. Adobe Animate, Unity, FL Studio).

If you credit music from the Audio Portal, the musician will now be notified via their notifications when you publish (note: a script is running to prep for this and it may take a day).

A “Team Tools” tab is where your team fileshare can be found, for collaboration during development. 

Game projects include an “API Tools” tab, for adding medals and high scores that integrate with NG. The API section is still on the old layout at the moment.

Finally you will see links to Preview and Publish your project, as well as a link to View your live project if it has already been published.

Both the preview and public view pages have been updated to allow in-page editing; you’ll see pencil buttons next to things such as Author Comments, Credits, Genre, Tags and Equipment. You can click the pencil in the top right corner to go to the complete project details form.

The preview page now supports NG Player, if your project requires Flash.

We’ve updated the Ratings selector to show what the final content rating will be. Keep in mind that while some mild artistic nudity is allowed in Mature entries, please avoid nudity in your thumbnail unless your work is rated Adult.

We’ve added ratings to Audio and future site updates will apply these filters in places where audio is browsed. If your audio is adult-themed please mark it as such!

For game or animation submissions with multiple files, we’ve made the file-specific options visible at all times rather than hiding them behind an edit link. Examples include setting an MP4 file to loop, or setting a game as touch-screen friendly. You no longer need to click a “Replace File” link to replace a file; simply drag the new file to the upload box and it will replace whatever existing file is of the same type (e.g. MP4 replaces MP4, SWF replaces SWF).

Your upload progress is now easier to track and we’ve fixed some quirks where the old system didn’t fail gracefully when an upload was dropped. A future update will introduce resumable file uploads, at which point you could drop internet or leave the page and your file will pick up where it left off.

The thumbnail tool has been updated and is mobile-friendly. While the site still displays small thumbnails, we expect your thumbnail to be a minimum size of 480x270 for games and movies, 300x300 for audio. Future site updates will increase the size of thumbnails while browsing, as we did in the Art Portal this year.

Also like the Art Portal, the author commentary box now uses a rich text editor so you can include images and embeds. If you want to link other content from NG, simply paste the URL on its own line and it will become a fancy link with thumbnail when you view the preview or published piece.

Finally, your Projects hub has been updated for more streamlined browsing of your projects and beta tests.

Have a look around and tell us what you think! This was a big overhaul and the culmination of lots of individual changes that happened around the site over the past few years.

As always, if you enjoy the ongoing site updates, please consider becoming a Supporter or gifting a Supporter upgrade to someone you like on NG! We’re planning to drastically reduce the ads for everyone in January and while this change may only be for one month, we’re hoping enough people become supporters that we can ease the site further and further from an ad-supported model in 2020.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

unexpected fav part of the update is the description stuff, being able to edit description in-page AND have all the rich text stuff wouldve been a pleasant update all on its own.

and that upload progress bar real nice lookin forward to that fancy upload resume tech stuff heheh

very cool seeing stuff change and makin progress in NG land

EDIT: aw shiiiiit and the audio thumbnail has a guideline for how itll fit on the disc that shit good too

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 15:18:52

At 12/30/19 03:12 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: unexpected fav part of the update is the description stuff, being able to edit description in-page AND have all the rich text stuff wouldve been a pleasant update all on its own.
and that upload progress bar real nice lookin forward to that fancy upload resume tech stuff heheh

EDIT: aw shiiiiit and the audio thumbnail has a guideline for how itll fit on the disc that shit good too

Cam made me react to it while I was streaming. NG update reaction series let's go: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/528504305 at 34:55

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 15:25:43

At 12/30/19 03:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you missed it, I posted a 2019 Recap over the weekend. We had one more item before the end of the decade, though:

@PsychoGoldfish just released a big overhaul of our Project System! This update applies to Movie, Game and Audio projects. Art uploads already use our new layout but we’ll be migrating them to this system for features like co-authoring and software / equipment crediting.

A lot of things have changed and there could be bugs; please pm me with reports of any bugs or confusion you come across. You’re also welcome to reply in this thread with general thoughts and suggestions; we’re curious to hear what everyone thinks.

Known issues so far: Pre-existing thumbnails are showing up off-center in the thumbnailer at the moment.

What changed:

When creating a new project, you now start directly on the project details form, rather than a page that asks for a new project name. Your project will auto-save details as you fill out the form.

The left navbar has been removed and secondary options such as “Users & Credits” are now options at the bottom of the page.

The “Users & Credits” tab merges three previous pages: Project Members, Credits and Revenue Sharing. This is also where you credit music and whatever products or equipment were used (e.g. Adobe Animate, Unity, FL Studio).

If you credit music from the Audio Portal, the musician will now be notified via their notifications when you publish (note: a script is running to prep for this and it may take a day).

A “Team Tools” tab is where your team fileshare can be found, for collaboration during development. 

Game projects include an “API Tools” tab, for adding medals and high scores that integrate with NG. The API section is still on the old layout at the moment.

Finally you will see links to Preview and Publish your project, as well as a link to View your live project if it has already been published.

Both the preview and public view pages have been updated to allow in-page editing; you’ll see pencil buttons next to things such as Author Comments, Credits, Genre, Tags and Equipment. You can click the pencil in the top right corner to go to the complete project details form.

We’ve updated the Ratings selector to show what the final content rating will be. Keep in mind that while some mild artistic nudity is allowed in Mature entries, please avoid nudity in your thumbnail unless your work is rated Adult.

We’ve added ratings to Audio and future site updates will apply these filters in places where audio is browsed. If your audio is adult-themed please mark it as such!

For game or animation submissions with multiple files, we’ve made the file-specific options visible at all times rather than hiding them behind an edit link. Examples include setting an MP4 file to loop, or setting a game as touch-screen friendly. You no longer need to click a “Replace File” link to replace a file; simply drag the new file to the upload box and it will replace whatever existing file is of the same type (e.g. MP4 replaces MP4, SWF replaces SWF).

Your upload progress is now easier to track and we’ve fixed some quirks where the old system didn’t fail gracefully when an upload was dropped. A future update will introduce resumable file uploads, at which point you could drop internet or leave the page and your file will pick up where it left off.

The thumbnail tool has been updated and is mobile-friendly. While the site still displays small thumbnails, we expect your thumbnail to be a minimum size of 480x270 for games and movies, 300x300 for audio. Future site updates will increase the size of thumbnails while browsing, as we did in the Art Portal this year.

Also like the Art Portal, the author commentary box now uses a rich text editor so you can include images and embeds. If you want to link other content from NG, simply paste the URL on its own line and it will become a fancy link with thumbnail when you view the preview or published piece.

Finally, your Projects hub has been updated for more streamlined browsing of your projects and beta tests.

Have a look around and tell us what you think! This was a big overhaul and the culmination of lots of individual changes that happened around the site over the past few years.

As always, if you enjoy the ongoing site updates, please consider becoming a Supporter or gifting a Supporter upgrade to someone you like on NG! We’re planning to drastically reduce the ads for everyone in January and while this change may only be for one month, we’re hoping enough people become supporters that we can ease the site further and further from an ad-supported model in 2020.

I don't know why but I now can't view any movies right when this updated startediu_81760_5146582.png

All I see is black. No play button nothing.

I even tried using Firefox. It worked one time but then it stopped.

Maybe this is just a mobile glitch?? Or maybe it'll go away on its own......

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 15:30:51

Ayyy, seems like the creators are pleased! For goodness' sake, though, Tom, please, don't increase the thumbnail sizes. They're really fine as they are, especially with the Audio where the thumbnail is the least important part.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 15:35:02

At 12/30/19 03:25 PM, Crashgen wrote: I don't know why but I now can't view any movies right when this updated started

It's working for me, mobile included. Do you see the view page itself and it's just blank where the movie goes? What mobile browser / OS are you using?

Anyone else having an issue viewing movies on mobile?

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 15:38:16

At 12/30/19 03:18 PM, snailpirate wrote:
At 12/30/19 03:12 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: unexpected fav part of the update is the description stuff, being able to edit description in-page AND have all the rich text stuff wouldve been a pleasant update all on its own.

Cam made me react to it while I was streaming. NG update reaction series let's go: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/528504305 at 34:55

That was just the main list, we need reactions of people uploading and publishing stuff now.

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 15:41:48

At 12/30/19 03:25 PM, Crashgen wrote: I don't know why but I now can't view any movies right when this updated started

This should be fixed now

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 15:47:47

At 12/30/19 03:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you missed it, I posted a 2019 Recap over the weekend. We had one more item before the end of the decade, though:

Well, I have some issues with my account here... I keep getting notifications from a collab "Clockmas 2019" even when I replied to all the reviews... Please fix that Tommy.

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 15:54:03

At 12/30/19 03:38 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/30/19 03:18 PM, snailpirate wrote:

That was just the main list, we need reactions of people uploading and publishing stuff now.

he was too busy gaming like a chump smh as soon as update rolled out i made sure to check every nook and cranny of the project system

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 16:05:35

Was real excited for this update all year. It's additions are all really cool!

I agree with Trickster though, I like the portals as they are with thumbnail sizes. It helps further differentiate Newgrounds with other sites.

The only big problem I have with the new system is no sidebar. It was handy and cool to just hop from one thing to another if I had to change something. Now it's just awkwardly shoved to the bottom of the screen.

A lot of the options don't need a whole giant sized section to edit. Like the members page, things can definitely be a little smaller. I took a quick glance on mobile and it looks great there. I think that's it, great work!

Have a nice day!

Overall this is awesome, but that left navbar disappearing is a pretty big downgrade IMO. On stationary it was easy to toggle through the tabs with that, whereas now they're all as far out of reach as possible. Especially with collabs and projects with a great deal of members/other info those buttons are waaaaaay down there.

I believe the ideal thing here would be responsive sidebar links, that move to the bottom of the page on smaller resolutions. Easier/workable alternative: buttons at the top of the page instead, or both top and bottom. Sidebars or columns that disappear on mobile would work well with a lot of other areas of the site too IMO, like the account settings page. I hope you consider the alternative when you're remaking other areas where it'd be way more functional to have more than just one column if you're on a device that supports it.

Otherwise this looks slick! Appreciate the private notes and live ratings preview too. Very useful. Only thing missing with the latter now would be a quick guide on exactly what falls under each of these categories. What's a little, what's a lot, what classes as an 'adult theme' etc etc. As far as I know there's no noted standard there. It's a re-occuring wonder in the Wi/Ht.

Upcoming resumable upload thing seems like a big thing too. Good stuff.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

I will say, the project page look more organized then before so good job!

I do have one issues: On audio, I think you misspell NSFW as "NSWF and not for children"

https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/audio/new

https://38cautionzone.com

Ko-fi (Commission/Donation)

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 16:28:19

Here is an easy question. Is there anyway to look at a songs views without having to open up the song URL?

The project manager before gave us that info for the most recent songs we've posted or edited.

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 16:33:45

At 12/30/19 03:41 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
This should be fixed now

It's working now. Thank you, I can now view and watch animations in the movie portal.

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 16:36:31

At 12/30/19 03:35 PM, TomFulp wrote:

It's working for me, mobile included. Do you see the view page itself and it's just blank where the movie goes? What mobile browser / OS are you using?

Anyone else having an issue viewing movies on mobile?

I'm using Android, chrome I mostly use, view page but. It's working now tho!!

Psychogoldfish made it work now or something. So THANK YOU.

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 16:40:23

What changed:

2020? but a flash player game is shut down on 2020

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 16:42:02

At 12/30/19 04:28 PM, DeltaRhoGamma wrote: Here is an easy question. Is there anyway to look at a songs views without having to open up the song URL?
The project manager before gave us that info for the most recent songs we've posted or edited.

There's a few little details like this that I plan on adding back in over time. We just really wanted to get the major parts of the update launched before the new year, and will continue making refinements.

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 16:42:07

Oh yeah, also, this isn't a new thing, but I haven't seen any art thumbnails in like... months maybe? They just don't load. Like maybe they'll be there for a split second while it's loading but then it'll just be completely black. Nothing there no matter how long you wait. The actual art is perfectly viewable, but no thumbnails.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Cool. Just used the old upload system for the first time in years last night and now it changes overnight. Interested in seeing the changes on my next upload.

Can you add view counts back to the project page as well?

Portfolio: GrindSpark.com

Spark Comics: Sparkcomic.com

Studio: ShiningSparkEnt.com

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 16:54:33

At 12/30/19 04:40 PM, PinkBubbleGum wrote: 2020? but a flash player game is shut down on 2020

Not on NG it's not, it'll hopefully live on forever here. ;) We've got our own player now: https://www.newgrounds.com/flash/player

Also: https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 16:57:25

At 12/30/19 04:42 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: There's a few little details like this that I plan on adding back in over time. We just really wanted to get the major parts of the update launched before the new year, and will continue making refinements.

Maybe there'll even be potential for surveyable stats on more than just the most recent uploads now hmm... awesome to hear.

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 17:14:52

The new layout is incredibly easy to use and simple, thanks for the update <3

hi, i'm lily

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-30 18:21:58

that explains why there were content ratings when I went to publish audio today.

Definitely looks like some interesting updates, I'll have to explore it further...

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-31 02:10:31

I want to see the audio player that was from 2012 to 2017..

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-31 06:00:52

woah :o

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-31 08:33:31

Tremendously exciting! I noticed that on the projects page, the majority of my uploads are displaying the default thumbnail whereas on my profile their thumbnails are still present. Is it likely for older works to need their thumbnails updated, as was the case with the 2012 redesign?

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-31 09:20:21

At 12/30/19 04:54 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/30/19 04:40 PM, PinkBubbleGum wrote: 2020? but a flash player game is shut down on 2020
Not on NG it's not, it'll hopefully live on forever here. ;) We've got our own player now: https://www.newgrounds.com/flash/player

Also: https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle

thx

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-31 11:51:59

I hope there is a feature built that nags you that you have unfinished projects from years ago in your queue still.

Also first post.

None

BBS Signature

Response to New Project / Publishing System! 2019-12-31 13:37:27

At 12/31/19 08:33 AM, RobertClock wrote: Tremendously exciting! I noticed that on the projects page, the majority of my uploads are displaying the default thumbnail whereas on my profile their thumbnails are still present. Is it likely for older works to need their thumbnails updated, as was the case with the 2012 redesign?

You don't need to update them, but we're storing larger images going forward so we can eventually do fancier promos for featured content, twitter cards, etc etc. It might be worth updating those if you can.