00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mystlol just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Multi-Author System

13,541 Views | 112 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-15 02:27:07

Just keep it simple tom

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-15 06:03:04

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! COW GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OHHHHHHHHHH COW GO MOO MOO COW GO MEMY MIM MOE MIM MOE ME MY MIM MOE ME MY MIM MOE MIM ME MI MO MIM ME MY MO MY MIM GET A LI_I_I_FFFFFFUH_FUH_FUH_FING FANG FONG FOE FEH FEH FEH FEH FEH FEH FEH FEH FEH FEH FEH BOOOOOMMMM NININER DOOOM KA-BOOM-BOOM YEAH U HEARD ME RIGHT I GO BOOM KAMA-BOOM BOOM I LIKE TO GO ZOOM-ZOOM IN MUH ROOM-ROOM UP AND DOWN WE GO WEEEEEEE AND I REALY GOT TO PEEEE YO YO YO WHO WAS THE BITCH THAT TOOK A DUMP ON MY RUMPITY EUMP RUMP Yo Man PEace Put We Outta Here Ohhhh Yeah Alll Hail The Might MzUnGu

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-15 12:34:24

At 12/13/02 09:34 AM, TomFulp of NG MUTHA FUCKER wrote:

Most teams will want to embargo their submission until everyone signs off. This way, the submission will appear in the Portal with full credits intact. Some people, however, may prefer to just get the content on-line. I'd like to keep the system flexible in this respect.

Yeah if u where to keep the system as flexible as possible. Maybe for the cost of NG keeping it embargoed user would have to pay 20 ground gold a day to keep it in embargoed. I dunno maybe that's to much. But u should definatly have a choice between keeping in embargo or instant update. U'll piss less people off. Sounds like a good idea tho.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-15 14:29:19

There needs to be a way that the person who controls the credits is unable to remove someone's credits without their permission. For example, author1 might decide to remove author2's credits just so he could get all of the credit.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-15 14:30:40

At 12/13/02 09:34 AM, TomFulp wrote:

LET YOUR IDEAS AND OPINIONS BE HEARD!

ok i think we should walk on the moon and live in huts

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-15 20:12:37

LAALALALA Toodaly deee

Multi-Author System

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-15 20:39:19

Well tom, I am glad that all my bitching got somewhere! Thanks for paying attention to my thread that I think pressured you to try this again. (I believe you had told me you had tried this Multi-Author System and that you found that it had not been possible with the currrent server.) Anyway, thanks, I now return to the middle of no where. And remember, Fight Club special edition is harder to get than a Criterion Edition of ROBOCOP... just thought you should know... ok... I'll just... go... chainsaw the children or something...

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-16 02:04:48

That's awesome. But what i'd really like to be able to do is search the obituaries. Or at least be able to view a month at a time. Not really a big deal, it'd just be nice.

One question i have though, is how teh authors will be rewarded for joint submissions. Is the submitting author the only one to recive points for the movie? If you take an author off of the list, do the points get distributed amoung the remaning authors? blah. This stuff's probibly already been said, but i'm asking anyway.

Multi-Author System

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-16 04:36:15

Great, I have to credit someone, but they are not a ng user, I guess I'll just put it in the credits.

Maybe you should add an email for the joint project, if they dont use NG, justa suggestion

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-16 14:30:03

Yeah if u where to keep the system as flexible as possible. Maybe for the cost of NG keeping it embargoed user would have to pay 20 ground gold a day to keep it in embargoed. I dunno maybe that's to much. But u should definatly have a choice between keeping in embargo or instant update. U'll piss less people off. Sounds like a good idea tho.

Die.

BBS Signature

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-16 14:33:39

One question i have though, is how teh authors will be rewarded for joint submissions. Is the submitting author the only one to recive points for the movie? If you take an author off of the list, do the points get distributed amoung the remaning authors? blah. This stuff's probibly already been said, but i'm asking anyway.

What points? What the hell are you talking about? Grounds Gold? You don't get that for submissions, only for movie referalls, i.e. a friend made a movie, and you tell them about NG, and you're mentioned as referrer on the submission page.

BBS Signature

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-17 00:25:23

Stop clocking up the front page god damnit.

Multi-Author System

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-17 21:41:27

Hmm, well, this is good considering I can't do flash or never learned it but I come up with some pretty interesting stories. O.o

Multi-Author System

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-26 19:42:02

this sounds like a great idea and all but if u think about it there's a problem itself. as much as i'd like to have it so that i could get people to put my name to get the points and so i'll be a higher lvl. so if u do this then more then one person will get credit and some of them might not be doing shit like most do now

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-27 15:24:44

At 12/13/02 11:00 AM, Unmindful wrote: I have an idea, Tom. To stop your account being flooding with links to confirm movies one didn't work on, have it so in your log in options, each person has a list of people that they will collaborate with.

I guess this sounds like a pretty good idea. It would save a lot of mailbox space, but then again, what about server space? I'm sure that there are other features waiting to be implimented as well

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-27 16:04:47

Okay, it's a bit long, but try to read through it.

At 12/15/02 12:07 AM, cheesemold wrote: it would be a great idea if people could register a team account, It'd basicly be just like the current system you're planning. When someone using the team account submit's an entry, it has to get approved by everyone else in the team. so the entry would be put on hold untill the other group members approve of the work (that way someone won't submit something shitty that mis-represents the group as a whole).

The Problem
Yes, this does work around the problem w/ the possible many confirmation emails, but then we lose the point of this system to begin w/. Any group of ppl can start a new account and use it as the submitter for their movies/games, but then you have to start back at level one w/ no blams or protections (which are harder to get these days), and it can cause conflicts w/ voting styles (for example: if one person hates an entry, but the other loves it).

The solution
I do, however, think that cheesemold's idea could work. What if we just make it possible to join a group with already existing members.

Grounds Gold Menu
So under "Edit" in the Grounds Gold Menu, there would be an option to "Edit your group" as well as one to "View Group Requests" and "Confirm Your Contributions". Once clicked it brings the user to a page where they can enter in multiple user names. Then, when these users sign on to their accounts, something like one of the cute little "new posts" icons will appear next to the "View Group Requests" option. Once on that page, the user can "Accept" or "Decline" the request.

Member Abilities
If they accept, they are then put into the group list, no new accounts are started, and all points are kept. All members have the ability to invite more members and to remove themselves, but one person shouldn't be allowed to remove another.

Submit Your Flash Page
On the submit page, you can choose to submit your flash either under your own user name or under the group name. Further specification options are not necessary because they can be written in author's comments and in the movie credits.

Freelance
Some people work freelance and will do one project with a group and then move on to another, so there would also have to be an "Additonal Authors" field on the submit page. This is where some earlier ideas come into play. The person submitting can choose whether the flash should be put in the portal immediately without the freelancer's name on it until they confirm, or if the submission should be held until the confirmation is recieved and then put into the portal. The freelancer will get an icon next their "Confirm Your Contribution" option when they sign in. Again, this is another "Accept" or "Decline" page. Their name will then appear on their submission's page along w/ the group/other user. This freelance system can also be used with individual users since two people might pair up once.

Changes in groups and updates
If a group of let's say Joe, Susan, Linda and Ralph do a movie, and then Linda leaves the group, and then the remaining people update the group list, we don't want Linda's name to dissapear from the list of authors for the movie they just did together. So the credit information can't be like the BBS signatures (how if you update it all previous posts change).

I think that's about as in-depth as I can get. I will try to get some pictures uploaded to this thread for those of us who are more visual and don't want to sit here and read my entier post. If anybody did, however, and cought something that doesn't make sense or wouldn't work, go ahead, write back.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-27 16:22:44

Oops, I missed one thing; Once a group is created, and once a member is confirmed, that member is given the group password. This Group password (along with a group name) is established by the person who establishes the group. There should be an option to create a group in the Grounds Gold Menu.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-27 23:59:54

Member Abilities
If they accept, they are then put into the group list, no new accounts are started, and all points are kept. All members have the ability to invite more members and to remove themselves, but one person shouldn't be allowed to remove another.

Please make that sentence: "If they accept, they then show up in yet another option in the Grounds Gold menu titled "Confirm new group members", or maybe it would be under "Edit your group". Once signed in, all existing members of the group in question will have to accept/confirm the new user before they are put into the group list. A new account is started, and all points are kept.. These accounts have profiles that are merely links to all the members including a place for all members to comment."

I have no clue how much server space this might take up.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-28 00:03:32

At 12/16/02 04:36 AM, FaddPuppy wrote: Great, I have to credit someone, but they are not a ng user, I guess I'll just put it in the credits.

Maybe you should add an email for the joint project, if they dont use NG, justa suggestion

Why arent they an NG user? There are so many benefits, and its free! Unless they don't have internet access, but that doesn't even matter, most schools have computer labs, and if you're not a student, your job probably has computers. If they aren't an NG user just put it in the author's comments and/or the credits, they should be happy with that. It's not like they are taking time to appreciate NG authors themselves.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-30 03:15:50

I think his a great idea. I have about 6 unfinsihed projects on the go at the moment and all of them are the results of 2-3 people's hard work. This would mean all of us could have a seperate NG Profile instead of just 1 representing the entire group.

Response to Multi-Author System 2003-01-07 00:33:30

Isn't this still being worked on?

Response to Multi-Author System 2003-01-07 19:46:21

At 1/7/03 12:33 AM, Boo_Destroyer wrote: Isn't this still being worked on?

I certainly hope so

If anyone wants to see some pix of my ideas (listed above) just email me.

Response to Multi-Author System 2003-04-02 23:53:58

Yes, I think that is a great idea. There really is lots of credit in making movies. I'm looking forward to this system.