00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

body1806 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Future of Word Processing?

559 Views | 12 Replies

The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 13:02:53

The Future of Word Processing?

Document spell checking has been around for many years and grammar and punctuation checking is emerging and becoming more useful and powerful all the time. These technologies are not yet perfected but spell checking is a staple of nearly all writing programs and grammar and punctuation checking soon will be the norm.

What is the next step? Will writing programs begin fact checking what you have written? Will there be a stepped eloquence degree wherein you can decide how beautiful or straightforward you would like your writing to be? Perhaps you could just plug in some variables and a program would spit out an entire, perfectly worded, paper for you? Is this possible? Is it desirable?

What do you think the future of word processing is?

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 13:10:59

Well, I think these programms will be absolutely able to find your grammatical errors,
but I don´t believe that a programm would be able to understand the emotional and logical context of a book.

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 14:04:14

I will try to tackle this a bit, feeling a little audacious. Word processing has been around as long as I can remember, (and it wasn't that good). Technology however now is moving at a ever increasing rate, we see the computer in almost all of electronics now, ie transistors, and processors. Now Moores Law dictates, "The amount of transistors in a computer will double every year". So far his theory has not been proven wrong, but you can only shrink a silicon chip so small right?

This is where nanotechnology comes, in order for Moores Law to be still be true, we need to shrink this chip smaller and not give off heat. Cause heat is not effective and destroys life in our computer see? (we are currently doing this) Now that we have done this, we get smaller and smarter devices, ie ultra slim phones, laptops, i pad.

Back to your original question, what do you think Word Processing will be like in the future, well it's really hard to predict. But going with current trends, we can expect devices to be smaller, and with greater word processing and voice word processing. Think of it as a smart AI, that monitors "hot key words" that you would use often. And while it does this it could even search for things based on your interest for example it would pool information from google or text messages.

Maybe in the far future, we could even have implants with nano size "smart transistors" for better word vocabulary. Effectively we would be merging man and machine.

Just my take on it, hope you like ;)

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 14:07:29

At 2/1/11 01:02 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Perhaps you could just plug in some variables and a program would spit out an entire, perfectly worded, paper for you? Is this possible? Is it desirable?

I've been thinking of a program that could do that, and more. Just fill in a few key variables and then a song or animation would appear which you could further edit with a large variety of simplistic options. Considering the path of convenience that humanity is marching I would predict that it is well within possibility.

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 16:55:33

The future of word processing is a spellcheck designed specifically for trolls that inserts spelling mistakes on purpose.

Your opinion is wrong.

Current favourite thread.

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 17:02:47

Electric signals from your brain will be recieved and comprehended by your computer so no typing would be involved, just think what you want to write and *poof* its on your computer screen

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 17:44:47

At 2/1/11 02:07 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote:
At 2/1/11 01:02 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Perhaps you could just plug in some variables and a program would spit out an entire, perfectly worded, paper for you? Is this possible? Is it desirable?
I've been thinking of a program that could do that, and more. Just fill in a few key variables and then a song or animation would appear which you could further edit with a large variety of simplistic options. Considering the path of convenience that humanity is marching I would predict that it is well within possibility.

An interesting thought. (relevant)

Taking that train of thought, I'm starting to wonder about the future of the arts. De we really want music or fine art that is generated mostly or even entirely through a computer? Would such a thing even qualify as art?

It's a brave new world that we're entering...

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 17:46:00

At 2/1/11 01:10 PM, Asandir wrote: Well, I think these programms will be absolutely able to find your grammatical errors,
but I don´t believe that a programm would be able to understand the emotional and logical context of a book.

I agree. You´re completely right.

It's not about the destination.

It's about the journey.

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 17:50:15

Maybe they will write instead

cop

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 18:11:52

At 2/1/11 05:44 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: An interesting thought. (relevant)

That is a truly amazing post. LOL

Taking that train of thought, I'm starting to wonder about the future of the arts. De we really want music or fine art that is generated mostly or even entirely through a computer? Would such a thing even qualify as art?

I guess it depends on how much of it is generated by a program and how original it really is. Maybe the farthest it should go is if you draw a character the program automatically recognizes it, and you can select "run" from frame x to y and just select its destination. The program could actually provide the character, you just have to tell it what to do.

Personally I don't think it would hurt if the capabilities of the most expensive and professional editing programs were dumbed down to the level of Windows Movie Maker or Paint.

It's a brave new world that we're entering...

Indeed.

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 18:13:51

fuck that, I will write what i feel and not by some perfect computer fuck.

"let's throw the babies into the air and catch them with our bayonets, whoever catches the most wins!"

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 18:14:21

I think proper grammar checking will be the next thing. If you say "your an idiot" or "it's hat is on wrong" you will get some different colored underline under the sentence.

Fuck you give me money!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to The Future of Word Processing? 2011-02-01 18:15:18

Spell checking? I don't quite understand. I can't seem to find a command for that on my Vi.

Is this some sort of Emacs thing?