00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Triforce33 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

what game ruined a franchise for you?

1,809 Views | 104 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-03 16:23:27

At 6/1/24 02:37 PM, MalwareShop wrote:Even if it's not in the original franchise, FNAF: Security Breach. It's nothing like the other FNAF games. Sure, you can say Pizzeria Simulator was different, but it still had the elements of the previous games in it. Security Breach is entirely different.

Security breach? it's more like security b*tches lmao!

BBS Signature

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-03 16:57:23

Huh, coincidentally I also gave up on a Cookie Run game, not CRK, the main game

Shortly after CRK launched I began seeing a significant lack of upkeep and more scummy ways to try and squeeze money out of the player, in general the game became much less fun as it focused more on releasing new attractive-er cookies and skins for you to throw money at

Phillipino

BBS Signature

Oh boy, I'm expecting a lot of people to disagree with me on this one:

iu_1214944_5868864.jpg

The gameplay was fine (albeit it peaks extremely early), but I honestly loathe everything it did from a writing perspective. Emil Pagliarulo (who wrote the main quest for this game and 3) has this retarded philosophy where he thinks adding family drama to a story automatically gets players invested: which is just downright ludicrous and made me feel like I was just playing Fallout 3 from the dad's perspective.

With 3, I feel like the decayed state of the world was moreorless justified: sure some enemy types feel arbitrary, but I used to work in the nuclear program, and can confirm that Washington DC would realistically probably be a high-priority target in a nuclear war and thus would probably be as barren and irradiated as is depicted in-game. The fact it's a baren wasteland 200 years after the bombs dropped is a lot more justifiable to me than Boston being the same (it possesses very little strategic advantage if any at all).

76 at least had a lot of unique and interesting new creatures that were a delight to discover: Bethesda clearly has extremely talented character designers, but Fallout 4 played things way too safe in the base game. Far Harbor got more experimental which was cool, but I would've liked more of that in the base game.

BBS Signature

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-03 21:31:28

At 6/2/24 09:55 PM, jthrash wrote:For Kingdom Hearts, the third game. I waited 13 years after finishing two, playing all the console spin-offs and HD remasters, but I skipped one of the mobile games and it turned out that one mobile game (which of course has been delisted, don't try to play it now) was CRUCIAL to understand whatever the heck happened in the final act of Kingdom Hearts 3. Also, that final 10% was the only part that really advanced the overall Kingdom Hearts story, the rest was just disappointing Pixar worlds and some newer Disney Movies I don't care about because they were "after my time" (and that Frozen world was somehow more annoying than Frozen 2) that had very little to do with the main KH lore. Also I just stopped trying to make sense of the KH lore and even trying to be invested about ten minutes into KH3.

For Final Fantasy, I surprisingly gutted it out in Final Fantasy XIII and found some reason to enjoy it, though I slept on the absurd sequels (Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns). Final Fantasy XV, however, is when I gave up on Final Fantasy ever reaching the heights of its SNES and PS1 eras. Thankfully, part of the reason I no longer really care for Final Fantasy at that point was that I discovered great alternative JRPGs like Persona, Shin Megami Tensei and Trails of Cold Steel.

Sonic Superstars and all the gimmicky mobile free-to-play Sonic games getting more focus than the console games are testing my patience as someone who absolutely adored and stick through the ups and downs of Sonic franchise growing up. Somehow I could handle the likes of Sonic '06, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Forces and even find the good in those games, but Sonic Superstars and its time-wasting boss fights could very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back, so to speak. Like Final Fantasy, there are tons and tons of alternatives for potential former Sonic fans like myself to play instead, like the Spark the Electric Jester series, Freedom Planet 1 and 2, whatever the former Sonic Mania devs are up to these days...

Be sure to check out Penny's Big Breakaway! Mania devs cooked with that one and it came out recently, I believe. So far it's gotten stunning reviews!

I'll never look back, I've got no regrets,

Cause time doesn't wait for me

I choose to go my own way

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-03 21:44:52

Be sure to check out Penny's Big Breakaway! Mania devs cooked with that one and it came out recently, I believe. So far it's gotten stunning reviews!

I've already played the demo on PS5, at least! Excellent stuff, brilliant music!

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-03 23:39:48

Diablo 4

I think Tales of the Abyss was the last straw for me, rather than a sudden drop off a cliff. I was intently following the Tales series (I started with Symphonia and worked backwards) for the action-RPG elements, but was getting progressively less and less able to tolerate the trite and obnoxious anime cliche-laden stories that took upwards of 100 hours to unfold.

Symphonia was already stupid, starring a sanctimonious, bloviating hypocrite of an "absolute pacifist" that cuts through nameless footsoldiers like butter, and I could overlook it the first time because the gameplay was fun and some of the side characters were likable. Going back to the SNES and PS1 games, I was given hope that Symphonia's cringe writing was just a fluke, because the old games were just cool, driven, focused and unapologetic about things like the violence necessary to oppose evil. But it just kept getting worse with the new games. Every game that came after had the same type of protagonist, going on about the same shit, plots and themes being shallow, contradictory, contrived, amateurish, honestly. I got halfway through Abyss when I realized "wait a minute... this series sucks! Fuck these games!"

I hear Arise isn't so bad, but says who, huh? TALES fans? Can't trust them on matters of taste.

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 01:48:04

RE6 ruined the series for me it took out the horror aspect, the puzzle aspect and turned it into an action shooter game where you can dive and roll on the ground wth is that and i forced myself to beat the game because i beat all the rest in the series before it. What were they thinking!!! Angry Videogame Nerd Reference

<B3@$T 4 L!Fe>

BBS Signature

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 02:44:57

I know that this has already been said, but FNAF Security Breach was what did it for me.

Others will claim that FNAF was kinda always full of cheap jumpscares, but tbh the jumpscares in SB do be giving "you got games on yo phone?"-

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 02:59:03

At 6/1/24 03:29 AM, Painbringer wrote:Command & Conquer 3

They got rid of the mechs and changed the look of Tiberium.

Dang, i assumed most people liked it. It was my first one though so that’s probably why I like it the most.

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 07:25:55

Halo Infinite.

Yeah Halo 5 came before it and released with barely any content including no local co-op mode and instead made you pay up the ass for weapons, armour etc, but Infinite was the real deal breaker because it happened a second time. I didn't even bother buying a new console for it.

BBS Signature

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 08:07:21

SSBU's last challenger pack ruined it for me. I really wanted Crash Bandicoot.

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 08:27:27

I just remembered I played the demo for Pikmin 4 a while ago.

The demo was so hand-holdy and annoying I cancelled my preorder. I heard it doesn't get better.

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 09:23:34

Fallout 3.

1&2 are still fun though.

Check out the Flash RPG I made in 2024. It takes about 25 minutes to complete.

BBS Signature

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 09:40:43

hotline miami 3 shited itself and I hate hotline miami 3 jokes in the community and by the devs. they think we are idiots

Hi, I'm a clone of Ralph Riquelme.

BBS Signature

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 09:56:11

At 6/3/24 07:45 PM, ProsciuttoMan wrote:The gameplay was fine (albeit it peaks extremely early), but I honestly loathe everything it did from a writing perspective.

Same here. The writer has a tendency to try and make things personal, when Fallout was always about the tragedy of humanity as a whole. Far Harbor did a way better job staying true to that. Different writer, too.

Adding a literal pre-war segment at the start also takes a lot away from the mysticism of the franchise. There's just a lot about Fallout 4 that doesn't make sense at all, like the invention of cybernetic anti-aging implants that are handwaved as "Oh yeah we did that, but we think it's useless and won't pursue it further". They just needed a character to not age for a shocking reveal and hamfisted such a revolutionary technology in, as a one-time thing.

I could go on for hours but this isn't a Fallout thread haha.

BBS Signature

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 09:57:40

At 6/4/24 09:40 AM, ralph2320 wrote:hotline miami 3 shited itself and I hate hotline miami 3 jokes in the community and by the devs. they think we are idiots

There was a Hotline Miami 3?

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 10:06:35

Honestly. I dont wanna call it yet since i dont personally own the game but everything about Mortal Kombat 1 is swaying me in that direction. I already had some problems with MK11 though a lotta that came from playing the switch version. I always felt like mk11 felt sorta lifeless and maybe a bit stiff but with the excessive monetization at the price, the lack of single player content, apparently dogshit pc version and how the game honestly looks clunkier than MK11. I'm gonna hold full judgement until if i actually buy the game (though i probably wont because 70$ and 153gb jesus christ) but everything is making me extremely concerned for the future of the series.

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 10:10:16

At 5/31/24 07:28 PM, whimsical-wife wrote:have u ever played a game so horrible, so wretched that it made you put down an entire series? maybe the gameplay was awful or the writers completely got the plot wrong. or there was a game-ruining update. have you ever given a franchise a second chance after you initially thought it was ruined?
let us know 🐛

I stopped playing cookie run kingdom at the start of the bts update. the emulator I was using couldn't effectively work the rhythm game you needed for the event, and I just gave up after months of grinding for resources daily. crk has since been feature creeped to death, so I can't really say I regret my decision

some other members has similar answers as me (LittleBigPlanet3 mostly) but I'm going to throw my hat in the ring - Bayonetta 3. I understand it's prob not a massive unpopular opinion but man I cannot even begin to understand what went wrong. voice actor drama aside, I'm not really a fan on multiverse stories and it was the worse version of a multiverse story I've ever seen.

I guess 3 is a common number in this thread

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 12:14:19

I used to really enjoy Fire Emblem until we got Fire Emblem Fates and to me that game went too far with some story and mechanical differences for me to enjoy it properly and I haven't played a fire emblem game since. Which is a shame these games already get a bad rep by people who don't even play them but this game forever changed the series perspective to "that weeb bait nintendo game" and it has never recovered from that to most. They need to walk back on the relationships, ground the designs and stop with the multi-colored hair and put the focus back on cultural conflict and telling a story that can give more than character based allegory. I love a lot of Fire Emblem characters but ultimately they are units who can die, the story is not about individual soldiers it's about the people who are left after the war and the choices made by those with power. Genealogy of The Holy War should get a remake tbh

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 14:00:48

At 5/31/24 07:28 PM, whimsical-wife wrote:have u ever played a game so horrible, so wretched that it made you put down an entire series? maybe the gameplay was awful or the writers completely got the plot wrong. or there was a game-ruining update. have you ever given a franchise a second chance after you initially thought it was ruined?
let us know 🐛

I stopped playing cookie run kingdom at the start of the bts update. the emulator I was using couldn't effectively work the rhythm game you needed for the event, and I just gave up after months of grinding for resources daily. crk has since been feature creeped to death, so I can't really say I regret my decision

Saintsrow Iv Is Not Horrible Persay But Definitely Not My Ideal Saintsrow Game

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 14:05:20

At 6/4/24 09:56 AM, kmau wrote:Adding a literal pre-war segment at the start also takes a lot away from the mysticism of the franchise. There's just a lot about Fallout 4 that doesn't make sense at all, like the invention of cybernetic anti-aging implants that are handwaved as "Oh yeah we did that, but we think it's useless and won't pursue it further". They just needed a character to not age for a shocking reveal and hamfisted such a revolutionary technology in, as a one-time thing.

It's pretty clear to me that Todd Howard is genuinely a big fan of the originals, it's just that the upper-level management on 3 and 4 seem to be people that didn't share his passion. I keep watching interviews where they talk about how much they want to "explore the pre-war world of Fallout" which has never made all that much sense to me: like you said, it's not important at all and just wreaks of Emil Pagliarulo's insecurity in the worlds he creates.

The cybernetics bullshit is also just retarded as well, I agree. It was fun seeing Obsidian make sense of a lot of the bullshit from 3, but The Institute and all their bullshit is basically irredeemable to me (why the fuck did they need to make Super Mutants?).

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I've always thought it'd be more interesting to explore the international world of Fallout: Bethesda has basically done that by trying to set their games as physically far away from the classic Fallouts as they can while still setting them in the continental US. I think it'd be kinda neat to set a Fallout game in Guam or Hawaii: somewhere where there's very little for them to mess up, and where they can basically do whatever they want without it affecting the other games too much.

BBS Signature

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 14:20:04

At 6/4/24 02:05 PM, ProsciuttoMan wrote:It's pretty clear to me that Todd Howard is genuinely a big fan of the originals, it's just that the upper-level management on 3 and 4 seem to be people that didn't share his passion. I keep watching interviews where they talk about how much they want to "explore the pre-war world of Fallout" which has never made all that much sense to me: like you said, it's not important at all and just wreaks of Emil Pagliarulo's insecurity in the worlds he creates.
The cybernetics bullshit is also just retarded as well, I agree. It was fun seeing Obsidian make sense of a lot of the bullshit from 3, but The Institute and all their bullshit is basically irredeemable to me (why the fuck did they need to make Super Mutants?).
I dunno, maybe it's just me but I've always thought it'd be more interesting to explore the international world of Fallout: Bethesda has basically done that by trying to set their games as physically far away from the classic Fallouts as they can while still setting them in the continental US. I think it'd be kinda neat to set a Fallout game in Guam or Hawaii: somewhere where there's very little for them to mess up, and where they can basically do whatever they want without it affecting the other games too much.

Fallout Hawaii Sounds Awesome

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 15:04:01

At 6/4/24 09:57 AM, ZekeWatson wrote:
At 6/4/24 09:40 AM, ralph2320 wrote:hotline miami 3 shited itself and I hate hotline miami 3 jokes in the community and by the devs. they think we are idiots

There was a Hotline Miami 3?

No, and it can't be that all the characters die along with the entire country "I think" in Hotline Miami 2. It's a kind of false hope that the devs gave us but it's just a joke.

Hi, I'm a clone of Ralph Riquelme.

BBS Signature

At 6/4/24 02:05 PM, ProsciuttoMan wrote:why the fuck did they need to make Super Mutants?

Because the Fallout theme park needed Super Mutants, same reason the BoS is there.

I've always thought it'd be more interesting to explore the international world of Fallout

The temptation to explore other parts of the world is big, but if I could make a Fallout, I would stay in america and introduce a foreign nation as a threat that seems completely alien because the average wastelander knows nothing about the old world.

Fallout: Hawaii would be great though. Would lead to interesting commentary due to the annexation and Hawaii being a strategic key base for prewar America.

BBS Signature

Fallout 4 had me thinking that Bethesda sees their future not as making Action-RPGs with just enough depth to be interesting, but rather the Shooter-Looter equivalent of those time-waster RTS phone games.

At 6/4/24 04:19 PM, kmau wrote:The temptation to explore other parts of the world is big, but if I could make a Fallout, I would stay in america and introduce a foreign nation as a threat that seems completely alien because the average wastelander knows nothing about the old world.
Fallout: Hawaii would be great though. Would lead to interesting commentary due to the annexation and Hawaii being a strategic key base for prewar America.

The idea of a foreign nation thriving post-war is cool to me: reminds me of the collapse of the Roman empire, and how the Arab empire benefitted from that. From what I've read, it seems like it's implied China is more like the Mojave: where it's mostly civil and the only struggles there are political.

BBS Signature

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 17:22:59

let us know 🐛

THIS. IS. SO. REAL. Genuinely the exact reason I quit the game too. Like I was obsessed with this game and it's lore/characters to the point I even bought the Hollyberry Cookie youtooz cause she was my first Ancient cookie. But then all these unnecessary updates came out, too many features were added, then you got fresh off the tutorial players somehow pulling every ancient and legendary with no effort!? I just couldn't keep up anymore it really lost it's charm for me and just became a genuine chore to play :(

Other than that I've yet to play another franchise ruining game and I hope to keep it that way XD

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 22:20:12

At 6/3/24 11:26 AM, INSANICCD wrote:at least 06 had Mephilus, he's kinda cool

Sonic '06 had some genuinely fascinating ideas, don't let anyone tell you different.

Response to what game ruined a franchise for you? 2024-06-04 22:31:25

At 6/2/24 10:07 AM, Yopenatals wrote:Halo 5 Guardians, split screen was the only reason I enjoyed playing Halo. I was excited when they said Infinite would bring it back just to not, so Halo is dead to me.

Microsoft and 343 Industries killed Halo

BBS Signature