00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Adiwarr just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Doctor Who Crew

405,089 Views | 6,204 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-10-30 17:42:07

At 10/30/08 05:26 PM, Sticky wrote: Personally I'd bet on James Nesbitt just because Steven Moffat has worked with him before on Jekyll and that worked out really well.

I'd bet on David Morrisey, with James Nesbitt as second choice. With the change over so close to The Next Doctor, I wouldn't be surprised if they did just ask him to stay on.

Although from that list, I'd rather it was Anthony Head.

BBC offers a similar list, with the addition of Sean Pertwee, Jon Pertwee's son.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-10-31 12:31:52

William Hill odds:

5/2 David Morrissey
3/1 Patterson Joseph
6/1 James McAvoy
7/1 James Nesbitt, Robert Carlyle
8/1 John Simm, Rhys Ifans
12/1 Anthony Head
14/1 Alan Davies, Jason Statham
16/1 Nigel Harman, Bill Nighy
25/1 Daniel Radcliffe, Burn Gorman
33/1 Stephen Fry, John Barrowman
20/1 Next Doctor To Be Female
50/1 Christopher Eccleston

Oh god, please be Stephen Fry.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-10-31 12:47:16

At 10/31/08 12:31 PM, TheMaster wrote: Daniel Radcliffe

If this happened I'd probably kill myself.

Who wants to bet that Davies only praised Tovey because he's gay?

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-10-31 13:35:01

Oh god, please be Stephen Fry.

Stephen Fry as the doctor would be awesome.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-05 17:45:34

Terry Wogan has said the next Doctor might be announced during Children in Need. That'd sort of make up for the lack of special if it's true.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-06 19:16:25

Finally watched The Keys of Marinus, which I've had downloaded for ages and just never got around to viewing. It was okay, writing The Doctor out for two episodes was a bit irritating, but the rest of the cast carried it pretty well by themselves.

I've got The Sensorites about half downloaded at the minutes, so that's up next.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-07 05:52:24

At 11/6/08 07:16 PM, TheMaster wrote: I've got The Sensorites about half downloaded at the minutes, so that's up next.

You should enjoy that one more. It's at least got some mystery in it. Haha I just can't shake how much that episode was written like a video game. The only thing that could have made it more like a video game is if Ian married that old guy's daughter by the end.

I just finished watching The War Games (and thus the entire second doctor era). God it was awesome. Gotta be my favorite serial so far. I was really expecting the War Chief to be The Master though. He acts so much like him. I see what you meant when you said Zoe and Jamie where a great team of companions (One from the past one from the future).

And finally I've seen all the 'missing' episodes. I'll never have to sit through hours of still pictures again. It really takes away from the experience sometimes. Though they weren't all bad.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-07 08:04:10

At 11/7/08 05:52 AM, Sticky wrote: I just finished watching The War Games (and thus the entire second doctor era). God it was awesome. Gotta be my favorite serial so far. I was really expecting the War Chief to be The Master though. He acts so much like him. I see what you meant when you said Zoe and Jamie where a great team of companions (One from the past one from the future).

Yeah, it was a pretty good serial. There's better Troughton, though. And yes, Zoe and Jamie are the best companion set up ever, with the possible exception of Jo or Ace.

Some of the non-canon books and whatnot do take The Master and The War Chief (and sometimes even the Monk from The Time Meddler) to be the same character. I don't think it's ever been suggested officially that they are, though.

And finally I've seen all the 'missing' episodes. I'll never have to sit through hours of still pictures again. It really takes away from the experience sometimes. Though they weren't all bad.

I don't enjoy them, so I just read the recaps on the BBC website so I can understand the next part.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-07 16:45:31

At 11/7/08 08:04 AM, TheMaster wrote: Yeah, it was a pretty good serial. There's better Troughton, though.

You've most likely said it before but now that I actually know the serials, what was your favorite Troughton serial?

Some of the non-canon books and whatnot do take The Master and The War Chief (and sometimes even the Monk from The Time Meddler) to be the same character.

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say the Monk is the Master. The Monk's personality wasn't like the Master's. The War Chief's plans and betrayal of his allies to gain power was very much what the Master would do though.

I don't enjoy them, so I just read the recaps on the BBC website so I can understand the next part.

I did that too on some of the reconstructions that were just complete shite. Still I'd say the good stories seemed to get a decent treatment with the reconstructions.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-07 17:10:23

At 11/7/08 04:45 PM, Sticky wrote: You've most likely said it before but now that I actually know the serials, what was your favorite Troughton serial?

Tomb of the Cybermen or The Seeds of Death. I've not really seen many though, since there's so much missing and I don't generally watch anything with more than half of it's episodes missing. I've seen Tomb of the Cybermen, The Ice Warriors, The Moonbase, The War Games, The Invasion, The Mind Robber and The Seeds of Death.

I did that too on some of the reconstructions that were just complete shite. Still I'd say the good stories seemed to get a decent treatment with the reconstructions.

The only good reconstruction is the animated one of the missing parts of The Invasion the BBC did for the DVD. They need to do more of those.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-09 01:08:01

At 11/7/08 05:10 PM, TheMaster wrote: Tomb of the Cybermen or The Seeds of Death. I've seen Tomb of the Cybermen, The Ice Warriors, The Moonbase, The War Games, The Invasion, The Mind Robber and The Seeds of Death.

Hmmm I'd rate The Ice Warriors higher than The Seeds of Death. At least the ice warriors had more depth to their motives than "INVADE THE EARTH FOR IT'S PRECIOUS MINERALS". I suppose they're both pretty good though.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-11 11:41:12

Watched The Sensorites. Best one I've seen in a while. Downloading Day of the Daleks now.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-12 16:43:31

And I watched Day of the Daleks. Better than The Keys of Marinus or The Sensorites, but for a Dalek story it certainly lacked Daleks. Next up, The Reign of Terror, unless I decide to download more Pertwee before watching it.

Also I've decided to just watch all remaining episodes of the incomplete serials too, even when there is just like 1 of 6 left. I've watched 98 of the 160 original serials (counting the film and the never completed Shada) so I might as well watch everything that's still available.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-14 17:37:09

Just watched the children in need teaser for The Next Doctor. Gotta say it wasn't all that interesting. Plus David Morrissey's doctor didn't seem very good to me but then again I always hate new doctors until around the third episode.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-14 18:58:24

At 11/14/08 05:37 PM, Sticky wrote: Just watched the children in need teaser for The Next Doctor. Gotta say it wasn't all that interesting. Plus David Morrissey's doctor didn't seem very good to me but then again I always hate new doctors until around the third episode.

I liked Morrisey's Doctor. I suppose if I liked Tennant more Morrisey might have been disappointing, but I'm not keen on him anyway, so any change is good.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-14 22:29:23

At 11/14/08 06:58 PM, TheMaster wrote: I liked Morrisey's Doctor. I suppose if I liked Tennant more Morrisey might have been disappointing, but I'm not keen on him anyway, so any change is good.

It's just those lines he had to say. They were so bad.

"I'm the Doctor. Simply the Doctor. The one, the only, the best. *wink*."

Anyway it hardly matters. My guess would be Morrisey's character is just some regular joe who's copying the doctor somehow. Most likely he'll be the bad guy or at least a bad guy who turns good in the end.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-15 07:45:00

At 11/14/08 10:29 PM, Sticky wrote: Anyway it hardly matters. My guess would be Morrisey's character is just some regular joe who's copying the doctor somehow. Most likely he'll be the bad guy or at least a bad guy who turns good in the end.

The synopsis posted on one of the official sites specifically states he's a man who thinks he's the Doctor, which means he probably isn't.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-15 20:25:47

Watched The Reign of Terror. Quality serial, I really like the purely historical ones. Shame they dropped them so early into the show. Read scripts for the missing episodes this time, since the BBC don't have a photonovel up for it.

Nearly finished downloading Frontier in Space, which is bound to be ace since it's a 3rd Doctor and Jo Grant story, with Delgado's Master as the villain, and they're always brilliant.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-15 23:06:32

This show may be officially over for me after David Tennant leaves, I've got the entire collection dating back to the first doctor and Tennant is my favorite. Honestly all the runner ups to take his spot will be bitch doctors comparitively.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-16 06:28:50

At 11/15/08 11:06 PM, MetalStorm01 wrote: This show may be officially over for me after David Tennant leaves, I've got the entire collection dating back to the first doctor and Tennant is my favorite. Honestly all the runner ups to take his spot will be bitch doctors comparitively.

He's crap though. He's had about 3 good episodes, and then loads and loads of Russell T Davies fanfiction bollocks. Stephen Moffat with a clean slate is a welcome change.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-16 19:40:40

Watched Frontier in Space, which was fucking ace. Let down by the very forced addition of the Daleks, who have about 3 lines, and a very dodgy voice actor. I suppose they are just a set up for Planet of the Daleks, but they're unnecessary and the very fact that they are a set up for Planet means you don't really get a satisfactory ending. You don't find out what happens to The Master, or the Ogrons, or the Draconian Prince and General Williams, it just drops all that and goes into Planet's story instead.

Still, that's a minor complaint. You can just assume The Master gets away as always, and that the humans and Draconians work everything out, and it doesn't really spoil what's otherwise an excellent episode.

8/10.

Also, that's the 100th Doctor Who serial I've watched. Just 60 to go. Next up, Death to the Daleks.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-19 12:58:06

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/doctorwho/

BBC have added an archive of stuff from when the show was being developed.

The head of BBC Drama from the 60s looks like a Batman villain.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-19 16:28:58

Watched Death to the Daleks. It was okay, nothing stands out as particularly bad, but it wasn't particularly good either. Bog standard Pertwee, which is a cut above most other Doctors anyway.

7/10

Next up, The Mind of Evil, which I have a sneaking suspicion I might have seen before, but it's half downloaded now so I'll wait and see.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-22 21:27:47

5 in a row and I don't care.

Watched The Mind of Evil. Superb episode, one of the best I've seen. The lack of rubber suit monsters works really, really well, and the whole thing feels very Quatermassy, which isn't a bad thing. I mean, it's not as similar to Quatermass as the very early Pertwee like Spearhead From Space is, but it's still more like it than most of Doctor Who. The fact it's centred about a machine and nuclear weapons rather than monsters and spaceships is a welcome change, too.

Plus, you know, it's Pertwee, Jo Grant and Delgado's Master, so it's hard to go wrong.

10/10.

Also the Doctor Who missing episodes is the Wikipedia article of the day.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-23 19:07:30

At 11/22/08 09:27 PM, TheMaster wrote: 5 in a row and I don't care.

I could talk about the Sarah Jane Adventures if you'd like.

They're still goood. Anything without Maria Jackson; goooood. Though I'm really sick of the whole world's population being hypnotized to do stupid shit and everyone just ignoring the fact they're standing around 100 other people doing nothing when they come out of the trance.

I'd give you my opinion on the serials you're watching but unfortunately I'm not up to them yet and my bandwidth is at it's max so I gotta wait :(

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-23 19:42:58

At 11/23/08 07:07 PM, Sticky wrote: I'd give you my opinion on the serials you're watching but unfortunately I'm not up to them yet and my bandwidth is at it's max so I gotta wait :(

I'm going back to finish of Hartnell and Troughton now. I've got the surviving bits of The Daleks' Master Plan, The Celestial Toymaker, The Underwater Menance, The Faceless Ones, The Evil of the Daleks, The Abominable Snowmen, The Enemy of the World, The Web of Fear, The Wheel in Space and The Space Pirates unwatched on the Lost in Time DVD, so once I grab some reconstructions of the missing bits of them, I'm going to get them all watched.

In only slightly Who related news, that Survivors TV show started today, with Freema Agyeman (Martha), Shaun Dingwall (Pete Tyler) and Patterson Joseph (rumoured 11th Doctor, someone in Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways who's name I've forgotten) in it. It's a remake of a Terry Nation (inventor of the Daleks) show from the 70s of the same name, and it's pretty good so far.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-24 17:56:21

Watched The Gunfighters. It was pretty good. The singing was a bit irritating, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-25 04:43:23

At 11/24/08 05:56 PM, TheMaster wrote: Watched The Gunfighters. It was pretty good. The singing was a bit irritating, though.

I know! They just keep belting that song out every chance they get don't they? I suppose it wouldn't have been so bad if I watched each episode every day as intended but since I watched the whole serial in one day I really began to hate that song by the end.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-25 11:33:47

At 11/25/08 04:43 AM, Sticky wrote:
At 11/24/08 05:56 PM, TheMaster wrote: Watched The Gunfighters. It was pretty good. The singing was a bit irritating, though.
I know! They just keep belting that song out every chance they get don't they? I suppose it wouldn't have been so bad if I watched each episode every day as intended but since I watched the whole serial in one day I really began to hate that song by the end.

It was just so out of place in a Doctor Who serial. It got even worse when it stopped just being a general song about the saloon and moved onto retelling events that had just happened, and then it even went on to explaining backstory stuff, which was just ridiculous.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2008-11-25 17:12:52

I've been watching more of that Survivors, and I have to say, I'd be quite happy to have Patterson Joseph as the next Doctor. I wasn't keen when all I'd really seen him in was Numberwang on That Mitchell and Webb Look, but he's been excellent in this. Black Doctor might be a nice change, anyway.

BBS Signature