00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KrakoaOrBust just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

the Ukraine situation

52,110 Views | 1,419 Replies

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-22 11:02:27

At 9/22/22 10:57 AM, BUM-DRILLER wrote:
At 9/22/22 08:02 AM, Yanclae wrote: postmodern warfare.
that is a frightening phrase to me

Usually it means fighting with drones,

rather than some randomiser on an Excel spreadsheet or however Yanclae thinks 300,000 military reservists are selected.

BBS Signature

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-22 13:07:34 (edited 2022-09-22 13:07:46)

At 9/22/22 08:02 AM, Yanclae wrote:
Yeah but this is like postmodern warfare. It's not a simple draft, where the soldiers of a nation are chosen by lots, blindly.

of course they're not chosen blindly

they're very likely going to be chosen from the poor and ethnic minorities in russia; there's no way putin will want to select from the middle class and wealthy, lest he risk his position as russia's leader

and if you protest, congratulations the algorithm just so happened to select you, too - lucky you!

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-22 16:33:02

At 9/22/22 01:07 PM, Gario wrote:
Yeah but this is like postmodern warfare. It's not a simple draft, where the soldiers of a nation are chosen by lots, blindly.

they're very likely going to be chosen from the poor and ethnic minorities in russia; there's no way putin will want to select from the middle class and wealthy, lest he risk his position as russia's leader

and if you protest, congratulations the algorithm just so happened to select you, too - lucky you!

One Kremliner got drafted

F*ck Putin the murderer, RIP Alexei Navalny

F*ck SCOTUS

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-22 16:50:32

At 9/22/22 04:33 PM, RoboHex wrote:

One Kremliner got drafted

“It is not exactly right for me to be there” - lol

At least he’s now resolved for looking for finding an alternative solution on another level!

BBS Signature

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-22 20:55:03

I wonder if Russia armed forces will face an internal mutiny, like the one in 1917.

With little food, no ammunition or even proper uniforms, Russian soldiers began to mutiny in their thousands. Strikes and protests in Russia saw no reforms from the government. Trade unions were banned and 'troublemakers' were sent into exile. By early 1917 most Russians had completely lost faith in the Tsarist regime.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-24 15:00:10

But if this is true, and he copied some 2016 version of guble & assbook, why doesn't the Zuck file a suit? Does he have his head stuck so far up the MV that he doesn't know what's going on? In the postmodern society, how can we separate "the Easy" from the west, Puth says he is virtually fighting against the west, but he is using the devices of the west in order to do so, so does that make him a westerner?!? You have the courage to consider this.

BBS Signature

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-25 18:46:45

So I’m hearing about a draft going on in Russia and Russians are fleeing to Finland.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-25 19:19:31

At 9/25/22 06:46 PM, DioShiba wrote: So I’m hearing about a draft going on in Russia and Russians are fleeing to Finland.

Yup, and protests in Russia.

Russia also recently signed a law where draft dodgers are sentenced to 10 years in jail. And Finland is closing it's border to Russia.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-25 20:10:17 (edited 2022-09-25 20:14:29)

At 9/25/22 07:19 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/25/22 06:46 PM, DioShiba wrote: So I’m hearing about a draft going on in Russia and Russians are fleeing to Finland.
Yup, and protests in Russia.

Russia also recently signed a law where draft dodgers are sentenced to 10 years in jail. And Finland is closing it's border to Russia.

Yeah at this point if their isn't a revolution, let alone a munity then Russians are shooting themselves in the foot for Putin.

Don't get me wrong I hate the Russian Federation as a government but even the people of Russia should have enough common sense to say when enough is enough.

At 9/25/22 07:28 PM, Seth wrote: Some shit has gone down since this post, but I will say that pulling out of Afghanistan was an awful move that probably made Putin think that the United States is a big bitch. So, he can do whatever he want. And what he's been wanting all along is for the territory of the Soviet Union to be a part of Russia. He didn't strike during Trump presidency because that was his little puppet. Now Putin pounces because of the likelihood of little consequence from the states. Oh, don't forget, China likes to back everything Russia is doing, because fuck America.

This isn't wrong. At the same time I feel like there are more consequences that will come from within Russia as opposed to an external force such as NATO or the States.

Far as the states is concerned we had shitty politicians with no backbone bending over for years because of money and power. It's no longer about decency as much as it is having a nice face with little bite and more bark.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-25 22:29:17

At 9/21/22 07:06 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
At 9/12/22 06:57 PM, GenericDungeonSlime wrote: Presented without comment

Ursula von der Leyen on Twitter: "The EU is turning to trustworthy energy suppliers. Azerbaijan is one of them. With today's agreement, we commit to expanding the Southern Gas Corridor, to double gas supplies from Azerbaijan to the EU. This is good news for our supplies of gas this winter and beyond. https://t.co/j1sVcv10z6" / Twitter
Would have been nice for the EU to reduce its dependence on Russian gas, oh, say, eight years ago?

They invaded Georgia and Crimea. There was plenty of advance warning this was going to happen.

You say this like it’s easy.

i work with natural gas markets, let me tell you… those pipelines are established and the bullshit you gotta trudge through to get off of them is just absurd.

you’re also talking a very interconnected global economy that will have serious ramifications on job markets, society, etc.

I’ll be a bit cheeky now, I’m all for green energy, but my gas range blows alternatives out of the water and I refuse to cook with anything else.

Formerly Travis… yeah that one (I’m bored)

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-25 22:42:54

: Yeah but this is like postmodern warfare. It's not a simple draft, where the soldiers of a nation are chosen by lots, blindly. I'm suggesting it could have been done selectively and using the software the Russians stole from western source code.

Even now people are talking about 6th generation hybrid warfare, non-kinetic military strikes, autonomous no-contact conflicts, underwater 3D backgammon, meanwhile two ordinary state armies are battling it out with massive artillery barrages and infantry. Your cybernetic psychological warfare center with real time intelligence gets ganked by a 40 year old cruise missile.

No pods, no casters

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 08:49:54 (edited 2022-09-26 08:52:37)

At 9/25/22 10:29 PM, Nu-Travisty wrote:

Ursula von der Leyen on Twitter: "The EU is turning to trustworthy energy suppliers. Azerbaijan is one of them. With today's agreement, we commit to expanding the Southern Gas Corridor, to double gas supplies from Azerbaijan to the EU. This is good news for our supplies of gas this winter and beyond. https://t.co/j1sVcv10z6" / Twitter
Would have been nice for the EU to reduce its dependence on Russian gas, oh, say, eight years ago?

They invaded Georgia and Crimea. There was plenty of advance warning this was going to happen.

i work with natural gas markets, let me tell you… those pipelines are established and the bullshit you gotta trudge through to get off of them is just absurd.

you’re also talking a very interconnected global economy that will have serious ramifications on job markets, society, etc.

I’ll be a bit cheeky now, I’m all for green energy, but my gas range blows alternatives out of the water and I refuse to cook with anything else.

If they were to be taken down in the case an alternate solution comes up, it would take several years to do so because of those ramifications you just said. It wouldn't be an easy process I'd imagine.

I'm no expert but it wouldn't take one to understand that it's not a walk in the park to eliminate natural gas markets. That's what a lot of environmental activist groups should and need to realize if they haven't already, but that's going into another story. And that goes without saying that in countries like Germany has relied on Russia's natural gas supplies because nuclear is too dangerous.

Not sure if the latter on Germany has changed since that was last brought up but a part of me doubts that's the case.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 10:10:39

At 9/25/22 07:28 PM, Seth wrote: I will say that pulling out of Afghanistan was an awful move

Being in Afghanistan at all was the awful move. That situation was impossible not to fuck up.

At 9/26/22 08:49 AM, DioShiba wrote: Not sure if the latter on Germany has changed since that was last brought up but a part of me doubts that's the case.

Seehofer still has himself celebrated for blocking the development of renewable energy.

By the way, the problem with nuclear is less the danger of meltdowns and more maybe we should first figure out what to do with the unholy amounts of toxic waste this shit produces before we hail it as the grand technology of the future. Not to mention it also relies on non-renewable resources.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 11:39:42

What’s stopping these people from dropping their weapons and deflect to Ukraine as soon as they see Ukrainian soldiers?

In my PFP there's Andrew "If her age is on the clock" Orluk, aka @DioShiba. He's a self-declared MAP, according to his own twitter. Hide your kids!

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 12:28:02 (edited 2022-09-26 12:28:30)

At 9/26/22 11:39 AM, Deven91 wrote:
What’s stopping these people from dropping their weapons and deflect to Ukraine as soon as they see Ukrainian soldiers?

artillery, mines, and other russians

artillery and mines kills you before you see an enemy, and if you're in view of other russians who see you pre-emptively surrendering they will kill you

if they can avoid these common ways of dying then yes, they will probably defect the first chance they get

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 12:51:52

At 9/26/22 08:49 AM, DioShiba wrote:

If they were to be taken down in the case an alternate solution comes up, it would take several years to do so because of those ramifications you just said. It wouldn't be an easy process I'd imagine.

I'm no expert but it wouldn't take one to understand that it's not a walk in the park to eliminate natural gas markets. That's what a lot of environmental activist groups should and need to realize if they haven't already, but that's going into another story. And that goes without saying that in countries like Germany has relied on Russia's natural gas supplies because nuclear is too dangerous.

Not sure if the latter on Germany has changed since that was last brought up but a part of me doubts that's the case.

Well here’s another point to make on the issue.

the keystone pipeline that Biden shut down.

idiots on both sides took it as if it was a monumental win or a monumental loss and politicians played political theater with it.

realistically: if you look at a pipeline map, they’re all over the place and stopping it barely did anything for the environment. That means the people who are mad about losing access to the resource have no clue that it did nothing to harm the infrastructure. That also means people who are happy it’s shut down have no clue that I made zero dent in the infrastructure.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 18:51:56

At 9/25/22 10:29 PM, Nu-Travisty wrote: I’ll be a bit cheeky now, I’m all for green energy, but my gas range blows alternatives out of the water and I refuse to cook with anything else.

What I really hate about the gas lines in my house is that's how mice sometimes get in.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 19:08:12

At 9/26/22 12:51 PM, Nu-Travisty wrote:

idiots on both sides took it as if it was a monumental win or a monumental loss and politicians played political theater with it.

realistically: if you look at a pipeline map, they’re all over the place and stopping it barely did anything for the environment. That means the people who are mad about losing access to the resource have no clue that it did nothing to harm the infrastructure. That also means people who are happy it’s shut down have no clue that I made zero dent in the infrastructure.

Ah yeah, Keystone. I remember that. I was against it but when you put it like that it’s a lose lose situation with that one.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 19:08:47 (edited 2022-09-26 19:11:17)

sorry for double post but…

At 9/26/22 12:28 PM, Gario wrote:
At 9/26/22 11:39 AM, Deven91 wrote:
artillery, mines, and other russians

artillery and mines kills you before you see an enemy, and if you're in view of other russians who see you pre-emptively surrendering they will kill you

if they can avoid these common ways of dying then yes, they will probably defect the first chance they get

Exactly this, it’s not exactly as simple as defecting from the military and expecting it to be a cake walk. Most people who would want to defect have better chances at becoming P.O.W’s than to defect if they don’t die.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 19:29:14

At 9/26/22 07:23 PM, EdyKel wrote:
A Russian man who was called up to fight in Ukraine shot an official at a local enlistment office, reports say

I’m not gonna be surprised if a revolt happens in Russia at this point

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 20:05:21

At 9/26/22 07:29 PM, DioShiba wrote:
At 9/26/22 07:23 PM, EdyKel wrote:
A Russian man who was called up to fight in Ukraine shot an official at a local enlistment office, reports say
I’m not gonna be surprised if a revolt happens in Russia at this point

I wouldn't be surprised either.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-26 22:22:19

At 9/26/22 07:08 PM, DioShiba wrote:

Ah yeah, Keystone. I remember that. I was against it but when you put it like that it’s a lose lose situation with that one.

yep. So I’ve got another one for you and in a person who would like to protect the environment and get off fossil fuels, but again, my career has allowed me to see some shit.

crude oil is seen as the big bad and the singular biggest issue in the fight against climate change.

you aren’t ever getting away from it. You would think gasoline vehicles and other things needing fuel are all its for. Nope, it’s in nearly every single fucking thing you can think of.

even if it’s not in some things, it’s likely used in the production of said things.

https://technologystudent.com/prddes1/plasty1.html

its incredible how useful crude oil is for society to function. Wood products, paint products, clothing products all use it to an extent. The chemicals we can derive from it are also ridiculous. Polyethylene glycol, polypropylene, ethanol, etc.

these products have shaped the modern world and continue to do so.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-27 00:22:50

At 9/26/22 10:22 PM, Nu-Travisty wrote:

yep. So I’ve got another one for you and in a person who would like to protect the environment and get off fossil fuels, but again, my career has allowed me to see some shit.

crude oil is seen as the big bad and the singular biggest issue in the fight against climate change.

you aren’t ever getting away from it. You would think gasoline vehicles and other things needing fuel are all its for. Nope, it’s in nearly every single fucking thing you can think of.

even if it’s not in some things, it’s likely used in the production of said things.

its incredible how useful crude oil is for society to function. Wood products, paint products, clothing products all use it to an extent. The chemicals we can derive from it are also ridiculous. Polyethylene glycol, polypropylene, ethanol, etc.

Sure, but it still leads to global warming by putting in an unnatural amount of CO2 into the atmosphere due to the burning of it in vehicles - leading to sever weather patterns which is billion dollar problem. It's also a finite resource. Once it's used up it can't easily be replaced. It best if we start investing in alternative energy.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-27 06:53:22

At 9/27/22 12:22 AM, EdyKel wrote:

Sure, but it still leads to global warming by putting in an unnatural amount of CO2 into the atmosphere due to the burning of it in vehicles - leading to sever weather patterns which is billion dollar problem. It's also a finite resource. Once it's used up it can't easily be replaced. It best if we start investing in alternative energy.

Oh I’m all for investing into alternative energy.

what I don’t like is uneducated people failing to realize that it’s not as simple as saying, “get us off ICE vehicles.”

you’re not that person, this just goes back to my earlier points with the other guy stating you get idiots who have no clue about what’s happening and you have shitty politicians playing political theater acting like something’s a big win or a big loss when it’s meaningless unless we take bold steps

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-27 08:55:19

No pods, no casters

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-27 12:46:10

At 9/27/22 06:53 AM, Nu-Travisty wrote:

what I don’t like is uneducated people failing to realize that it’s not as simple as saying, “get us off ICE vehicles.”

you’re not that person, this just goes back to my earlier points with the other guy stating you get idiots who have no clue about what’s happening and you have shitty politicians playing political theater acting like something’s a big win or a big loss when it’s meaningless unless we take bold steps

I don't think I have come across anyone who has outright said that they wanted to get off of fossil fuels right this moment - at least I can't remember anyone saying that over the last couple of decades. It may be more of the politics of ones side reinforcing that view to make the other side look extreme.

Over the last 40 or 50 years the fossil fuel industry bean aligning themselves with the right more, and now heavily fund the Republican party. About 80% of their campaign donation go to that party. The Republican attitude towards alternative energy drastically changed when Obama became president, where supporting it a few years back earlier was not controversial to them yet - or perhaps they were playing politics and just being the "Party of No"

You guys also brought up the Keystone pipeline for some reason. It had nothing to do with stopping oil. it was about the path of it going through an environmental sensitive area to save a few million dollars, and being questionable approved. There was also a lot pf questions of how this pipeline would handle an extremely poor quality of oil, shale oil, known to be especially hard on pipelines, with a company that had a well known history of pipe leaks. Because of these reasons, it led to a lot of protests, particularly from native Americans who's land it went through. So, the Obama denied it because of these reasons, while the Trump admin said fuck them and revived it, and the Biden admin once again denied it for the above stated reasons.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-27 12:50:57 (edited 2022-09-27 13:01:01)

At 9/27/22 08:55 AM, GenericDungeonSlime wrote: Who wants to guess who sabotaged the pipeline to Europe?

Reuters on Twitter: "Nord Stream operator says three offshore gas pipelines damaged in one day https://t.co/d1FN0TKFIT https://t.co/MUh8uKbjXd" / Twitter

Well, given that it would hurt the countries supporting Ukraine, creating cracks in support of it with right-wing, Russian friendly, European politicians gaining momentum and positions of power over discontent over high oil prices... And Russia being constantly coy over reopening or keeping closed the pipelines with the above in mind...

I'm sure your right wing, pro-Russian, sources, neglected to mention any of this to you, no matter how you rush off to find a less bias twitter source to post here over it.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-27 13:15:45

At 9/27/22 12:46 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/27/22 06:53 AM, Nu-Travisty wrote:

I don't think I have come across anyone who has outright said that they wanted to get off of fossil fuels right this moment - at least I can't remember anyone saying that over the last couple of decades. It may be more of the politics of ones side reinforcing that view to make the other side look extreme.

Over the last 40 or 50 years the fossil fuel industry bean aligning themselves with the right more, and now heavily fund the Republican party. About 80% of their campaign donation go to that party. The Republican attitude towards alternative energy drastically changed when Obama became president, where supporting it a few years back earlier was not controversial to them yet - or perhaps they were playing politics and just being the "Party of No"

You guys also brought up the Keystone pipeline for some reason. It had nothing to do with stopping oil. it was about the path of it going through an environmental sensitive area to save a few million dollars, and being questionable approved. There was also a lot pf questions of how this pipeline would handle an extremely poor quality of oil, shale oil, known to be especially hard on pipelines, with a company that had a well known history of pipe leaks. Because of these reasons, it led to a lot of protests, particularly from native Americans who's land it went through. So, the Obama denied it because of these reasons, while the Trump admin said fuck them and revived it, and the Biden admin once again denied it for the above stated reasons.

All valid points, but not the reason behind my post originally.

thwre was a vocal swath of people who thought this would be a real kick in the shins of fossil fuel production at large.

my point, was that it does nothing to stop or help the overall burden.

Response to the Ukraine situation 2022-09-27 13:16:50

Is it a billion dollar problem or a billion dollars going into the pockets of others? It’s just wealth transfer.

dont take this as me saying “big whoop.” Cuz I’m not.