00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SanKode just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Average People

1,661 Views | 53 Replies

Average People 2023-02-02 23:48:27

What is wrong with people?

Most people I meet are either judgmental, immature, exploiters, or discriminating. I'm not sure if it's only in the U.S. or if it has to do with the new generations? Is that how average people are everywhere and throughout time? Because I'm really disappointed!

Anyone else feel the same?

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 16:34:37

They're groomed to be such by our society and education system. Actively hindered from forming bonds with others along with enriching themselves. Told to not fraternize with their coworkers, told to hustle. Told that if they work just hard enough that they'll succeed.

Told that those who disagree with them are evil. Humans are cooperative by nature, yet modern society actively punishes them for trying to be such, this causes their mental health to degrade, causes them to be untrusting towards others. Because if they were forming bonds, then they wouldn't be so keen on selling their souls to their Bourgeois overlords to make ends meet.

If people could truly form bonds, they'd simply form business endeavors with their newfound friends and family. And of course the ruling class can't have that, no they want all the gold and the joys of life to be theirs and theirs alone.

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 16:58:16

At 2/7/23 04:34 PM, MarvelousMedes wrote: They're groomed to be such by our society and education system. Actively hindered from forming bonds with others along with enriching themselves. Told to not fraternize with their coworkers, told to hustle. Told that if they work just hard enough that they'll succeed.

Told that those who disagree with them are evil. Humans are cooperative by nature, yet modern society actively punishes them for trying to be such, this causes their mental health to degrade, causes them to be untrusting towards others. Because if they were forming bonds, then they wouldn't be so keen on selling their souls to their Bourgeois overlords to make ends meet.

If people could truly form bonds, they'd simply form business endeavors with their newfound friends and family. And of course the ruling class can't have that, no they want all the gold and the joys of life to be theirs and theirs alone.

So, goverment and teachers are all a bunch of pedophiles?

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 17:28:45

At 2/7/23 04:58 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 2/7/23 04:34 PM, MarvelousMedes wrote: They're groomed to be such by our society and education system. Actively hindered from forming bonds with others along with enriching themselves. Told to not fraternize with their coworkers, told to hustle. Told that if they work just hard enough that they'll succeed.

No, just greedy

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 17:44:11

yeah, a good amount of people suck, especially if you know where to find said people, online and offline. the best thing we can do is try to not spread the hate further, but that's honestly really hard as everyone hates everyone nowadays, wanting them to die and/or be miserable, mainly over small things that shouldnt matter at all

i do stinky art on the internet hahaha

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 17:51:06

To clarify, the word "Groom" isn't exclusive to children or sexual purposes, it can refer to preparation for any purpose. In my case, I'm using it to describe how the state and media essentially train citizens to be servile workers.

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 18:49:06

At 2/7/23 05:51 PM, MarvelousMedes wrote:

To clarify, the word "Groom" isn't exclusive to children or sexual purposes, it can refer to preparation for any purpose. In my case, I'm using it to describe how the state and media essentially train citizens to be servile workers.

You might then want to stick to jut using "conditioning", or "indoctrination", because the term "grooming" has already been hijacked by a group who also don't care about the actual meanings of "woke" or "CRT". They are misusing such terms to scare people into supporting their agenda to cancel out anything that offends them, and are viewed as a perceived threat to their cultural and social establishment. And they are doing it by accusing teacher of sexualizing kids, and indoctrinating them over wrong ideas over race, religion, and gender, in hopes of indoctrinating the next generation of voters who will mindlessly protect their conservative establishment.

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 19:03:53

You might then want to stick to jut using "conditioning", or "indoctrination", because the term "grooming" has already been hijacked by a group who also don't care about the actual meanings of "woke" or "CRT". They are misusing such terms to scare people into supporting their agenda to cancel out anything that offends them, and are viewed as a perceived threat to their cultural and social establishment. And they are doing it by accusing teacher of sexualizing kids, and indoctrinating them over wrong ideas over race, religion, and gender, in hopes of indoctrinating the next generation of voters who will mindlessly protect their conservative establishment.

Ok mate

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 19:32:22

yeah i know what you mean everyone just cares about themselves now

Fredrick piss water the 3rd

my best thread

My channel :)

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 19:42:54

What you say is partially correct, but it also takes away the fact that these people have minds of their own, choices of their own. All rulers, societies, and systems are inherently corrupt, but it's the people who choose to either be like that, or have good human values. We can't blame the "overlords" for the choices we make as individuals, I'm under the same "overlords" as everyone else, but I'm a good person. The problem with the world is that most people find it easy to judge others and pin their problems on others, systems, or "overlords" and use that as a shield to hide behind, instead of judging themselves for their own individual choices and holding themselves to the same standards they expect of others. This is like saying "the devil made me do it". In my opinion it's no excuse.

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 19:54:08

What you say is partially correct, but it also takes away the fact that these people have minds of their own, choices of their own. All rulers, societies, and systems are inherently corrupt, but it's the people who choose to either be like that, or have good human values. We can't blame the "overlords" for the choices we make as individuals, I'm under the same "overlords" as everyone else, but I'm a good person. The problem with the world is that most people find it easy to judge others and pin their problems on others, systems, or "overlords" and use that as a shield to hide behind, instead of judging themselves for their own individual choices and holding themselves to the same standards they expect of others. This is like saying "the devil made me do it". In my opinion it's no excuse.

True, but certain systems tend to incentivize certain behaviors over others, if certain commodities that you need to survive are too expensive, you may be more likely to steal than in a society where those items are cheaper. The advent of Netflix caused piracy to decline throughout the world due to the cheap and convenient access to media, but now with the rise of several other streaming services piracy is on the rise once more.

Children who are raised by abusive parents are far more likely to become criminals than those who are raised by loving parents. Ultimately there is no line between Nature and Nurture, only a very soft gradient

Response to Average People 2023-02-07 20:26:26

Nothing new was even worse in the past. There used o all kinds of crazy holidays.

For example back in medieval times they would round up the cats in the neighborhood and burn em. Normal Holidays can have pretty dark origins as well.

Leaving the weight of the past behind, for the uncertain future.

Poem/Short story thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-08 01:38:34

I don't wanna pull the whole switcheroo and say "actually it is YOUUU who's is judgmental, etc." but I do think a lot of that mindset where you feel constantly surrounded by nothing but shitty people is very much a fixable personal problem. There are good people everywhere, and giving people the benefit of the doubt eventually pays off. If you assume everyone sucks, you're gonna preemptively treat them like they suck, thereby becoming the sucky guy. Break that cycle.

That said, the US definitely has this problem in aggregate more than most. The only place I've been to that's got the same vibe of seemingly everyone being aggro by default is China, which is funny because the worst of both countries would be pretty upset to have that comparison made about them.

I think being part of a giant hegemonic empire does break brains. Not all the brains, but a lot. I think the worst thing the US does is convince everyone living there that being mean is the norm, it's smart, it's powerful, whatever. Plenty of people reject that, but when you're up against propaganda that wants to keep you angry and paranoid, it can be tough.

Response to Average People 2023-02-08 02:25:39

At 2/8/23 01:38 AM, Skoops wrote: I think being part of a giant hegemonic empire does break brains. Not all the brains, but a lot. I think the worst thing the US does is convince everyone living there that being mean is the norm, it's smart, it's powerful, whatever. Plenty of people reject that, but when you're up against propaganda that wants to keep you angry and paranoid, it can be tough.

It's the nationalism/jingoism. Although it certainly acts as a signal booster, being a superpower isn't a requirement -- just look at India for example. Tons of hatred along religious lines to go along, a lot of it encouraged by the state.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 04:02:05

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 09:38:54 (edited 2023-02-09 09:39:58)

I feel like US's culture feeds into vanity which leads into the problem of people who feel like it is ok to act like they're better than other's because they're rich/sexy/whatever. I also think since in our culture it's hard for people to be close and talk to each other about our issues, even within our own families, that it causes a lot of pent up negative feelings.

I see this irl quite a bit but I noticed the majority of this online.

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 10:00:48

I don't exactly know why it's only the U.S. gets exclusively mentioned when it comes to having judgemental douchebags in our culture, when this is a universal trait in any country. About the only theory I can think up is that most other countries tend to hide their douchebag population better, but what do I know?

That aside, maybe the OP just hung around awful people and based his assumption of average people off of that. Even with that, that is still some pretty broad brush strokes with a limited viewpoint.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 10:36:50

sounds like a point of view issue to me.

xoxo 💋 (ps: okay I guess you can watch TRW)

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 12:24:53

We should be allowed to save Newgrounds forum posts.

Check out this Average Joe!

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 13:18:05

At 2/9/23 10:36 AM, Royal-Harmonica wrote: sounds like a point of view issue to me.

Projection even

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 20:20:18 (edited 2023-02-09 20:23:45)

At 2/2/23 11:48 PM, decampo wrote: What is wrong with people?
Most people I meet are either judgmental, immature, exploiters, or discriminating. I'm not sure if it's only in the U.S. or if it has to do with the new generations? Is that how average people are everywhere and throughout time? Because I'm really disappointed!

Is that how average people are everywhere and throughout time?

Yes. Welcome to life.

I probably could get more deep into this and go into people who are abused become abusers, people had hard childhoods so they want to take it out on others being acting mean or having a savior complex, people were never taught manners, culturally some people are raised to be POS-like some Asian countries, the Middle East, certain African countries, North American countries etc. Linear progressive culture like the US, multi actives like the Philippines, or reactive countries like Japan.

There are lots of reasons and according to my relapse prevention class not much research-at least on people who aren't caucasian.

Then again, feel free to prove me wrong because maybe what I have been taught isn't accurate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯\

EDIT: Actually rereading this post, Generally, yes most people are POS. Even if this is the case, don't stereotype people. I know it's obvious but I don't need someone to @ me about that since I can see my post being taken in that way. I'm just saying there are a lot of people in the world who suck and you'll probably run into a lot of shitty people.

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 20:30:47

the media and social media actors have pushed a lot of identity politics so now everyone is focusing on how we are different instead of how we are the same. People are becoming more divided by the effects of algorithm-based content delivery. People become more intense versions of themselves and less like others, making it easy to judge each other. We just have to try our best to have basic human respect.

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 20:52:55

At 2/9/23 08:30 PM, Kehmicle wrote:
the media and social media actors have pushed a lot of identity politics so now everyone is focusing on how we are different instead of how we are the same. People are becoming more divided by the effects of algorithm-based content delivery. People become more intense versions of themselves and less like others, making it easy to judge each other. We just have to try our best to have basic human respect.

I agree, but what I don't understand, is why do people go out of their way just to make life miserable for others, and possibly themselves, why not just live along happily, and help one another. Life can be very harsh, I'm not saying we should all be Smurfs, I know there are really evil people out there, and I'm not talking about them. I'm just saying why don't the average person better themselves as individuals. By having a mentality of one for all and all for one. Why be selfish? Why choose to be bad?

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 21:12:43

At 2/9/23 10:46 AM, glazedeyez wrote: The issue with average people is that they are in a constant state of having to conform to the societal norm no matter what. They're neither rich, famous, and attractive enough, or poor, diseased, and ugly enough to defy those expectations. They aren't daring enough or disillusioned enough to break from societal constraints, and as a result, they subconsciously enforce them. Every standard or expectation in a commuity is always decided by consesus, by the average. The people who complain about what the world has come to are often the ones who cause it in the first place. I'm not saying it's yourself OP, but it's pretty common thing I noticed myself. Some people are just oblivous to how terrible they truly are.

I completely agree with you, but what I don't get is why agree to a norm that is just total crap, why not keep good human values. I'm not saying every person I meet is pure evil, I'm just saying that most of them lean towards evil. I know people aren't perfect (myself included), but in D&D terms, why choose a bad alignment? Why not choose to be good? Why do people follow social norms when the norms are wrong? Why not try to change bad norms with good norms? I want to live in a happy world that is ruled by love and acceptance, not by selfishness and hate. Why do it to each other on an individual level? You say it's the social norms, and I agree with you, but we created those norms, and by the end of the day, we control our own actions. Blaming social norms is no excuse for an individual's actions.

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 21:15:00 (edited 2023-02-09 21:19:36)

iu_892245_2595437.png

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 21:54:41 (edited 2023-02-09 21:59:54)

At 2/9/23 09:12 PM, decampo wrote:
At 2/9/23 10:46 AM, glazedeyez wrote: The issue with average people is that they are in a constant state of having to conform to the societal norm no matter what. They're neither rich, famous, and attractive enough, or poor, diseased, and ugly enough to defy those expectations. They aren't daring enough or disillusioned enough to break from societal constraints, and as a result, they subconsciously enforce them. Every standard or expectation in a commuity is always decided by consesus, by the average. The people who complain about what the world has come to are often the ones who cause it in the first place. I'm not saying it's yourself OP, but it's pretty common thing I noticed myself. Some people are just oblivous to how terrible they truly are.
I completely agree with you, but what I don't get is why agree to a norm that is just total crap, why not keep good human values. I'm not saying every person I meet is pure evil, I'm just saying that most of them lean towards evil. I know people aren't perfect (myself included), but in D&D terms, why choose a bad alignment? Why not choose to be good? Why do people follow social norms when the norms are wrong? Why not try to change bad norms with good norms? I want to live in a happy world that is ruled by love and acceptance, not by selfishness and hate. Why do it to each other on an individual level? You say it's the social norms, and I agree with you, but we created those norms, and by the end of the day, we control our own actions. Blaming social norms is no excuse for an individual's actions.

Okay.... You might want to dial that down a notch. This isn't D&D, a game, where things are easily categorized as good or evil, neutral, lawful, and chaotic. There is a lot of grey area around this in real life, and more complexities to it. Basically, stop accusing the vast majority of people as evil because you simply don't approve of they way they act.

Response to Average People 2023-02-09 23:54:13

At 2/9/23 08:52 PM, decampo wrote:
I agree, but what I don't understand, is why do people go out of their way just to make life miserable for others, and possibly themselves, why not just live along happily, and help one another. Life can be very harsh, I'm not saying we should all be Smurfs, I know there are really evil people out there, and I'm not talking about them. I'm just saying why don't the average person better themselves as individuals. By having a mentality of one for all and all for one. Why be selfish? Why choose to be bad?

sometimes they aren't choosing to be bad or trying to hurt people, their trying to get positive laughing reactions to their material from people they are similar to. When it comes to the internet, people just put things out there but rarely do they directly attack someone on purpose. Don't see peoples material as an attack, just realize they are being immature by liking disrespectful jokes and laugh at them and not with them. Sometimes there is value in the market for controversial and hurtful material, and people feel as though putting that out there benefits them, and it does. If people didn't respond well to it they wouldn't make it. in short, not everyone has the same views or the same sense of humor as you and so you are going to find people making fun of things you think are very serious because to others they are not as serious.

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 01:36:40

At 2/9/23 11:54 PM, Kehmicle wrote:
At 2/9/23 08:52 PM, decampo wrote:
sometimes they aren't choosing to be bad or trying to hurt people, their trying to get positive laughing reactions to their material from people they are similar to. When it comes to the internet, people just put things out there but rarely do they directly attack someone on purpose. Don't see peoples material as an attack, just realize they are being immature by liking disrespectful jokes and laugh at them and not with them. Sometimes there is value in the market for controversial and hurtful material, and people feel as though putting that out there benefits them, and it does. If people didn't respond well to it they wouldn't make it. in short, not everyone has the same views or the same sense of humor as you and so you are going to find people making fun of things you think are very serious because to others they are not as serious.

I agree to what you say, but I just remember when I was younger, most people were very friendly and welcoming, now most people seem miserable. Possibly I became more miserable and started pushing others away, or maybe just times are a little difficult for everyone. I actually find it freeing to see people expressing their opinions freely (or as freely as possible). I like to see different POVs. Let's be honest, if you spend a good portion of your time on Newgrounds, writing a paragraph, to answer someone who thinks people are shit, who also wrote a paragraph, chances are neither of us have many real life friends, If we did, we wouldn't be here now would we. So that makes us both (or possibly everyone on Newgrounds Forums) a little miserable. Unless you all are AI then kudos to whomever designed this, really, 10/10.

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 01:55:25

At 2/10/23 01:33 AM, glazedeyez wrote:
At 2/9/23 09:12 PM, decampo wrote:
How I've always viewed it, it's all about saving face and maintaining reputation. I wouldn't say all people are inherently evil- I do believe most people want to be seen as well meaning and decent- but I do believe most people are selfish to an extent. We all have selfish behaviors and do things for our own benefit, but I think the standard for selfishness has been taken to extremes in the modern day. You tend to see this type of behavior in enviroments where social standing is seemingly most important, i.e. school and the work place. For some people its has nothing to do with advancement and everything to do with maintaining the same level of averageness and mediocrity that you don't lose standing but also dont climb the social hiearchy. You stay in the grey areas so that you can frown on anything thats black and white.

Granted this is a bit of a absolutist way of thinking, and many people don't actually think this way. Alot of people may view it as a defense mechanism, that they are just protectng themselves from the behaviors of other people, but it's pretty counterintuitive to display the same behaviors you're trying to sheild yourselve away from imo. You can also argue that truly no one is a "good" person at heart, and that social norms are the reason we feel the need to be good people in the first place. People have complex thought processes and even I can't be completely abosolute even in my own way of thinking, but this is the viewpoint I generally lean towards. They don't say the world is a cruel place for no reason.

I have to say, you sound like a very smart person, I really love your logic. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my comments by the way (Everyone else commenting on this as well). FYI I don't think everyone is evil, I just see being selfish and greedy is pushed as cool now a days, and I fear it's becoming the new norm (possibly already became).

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 03:20:34

At 2/9/23 09:15 PM, Tyler wrote:

lol hol’ up

Where on earth does Plato asserts that the world is simple?

BBS Signature