00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dawn17170 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Average People

1,660 Views | 53 Replies

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 10:01:20

At 2/10/23 03:20 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 2/9/23 09:15 PM, Tyler wrote:
lol hol’ up

Where on earth does Plato asserts that the world is simple?

Im pretty sure that actually real quote was about his color-blindness

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 10:16:35

You know a conversation has gone off the rails when people are judging other people based off of D&D alignments. Not to mention that bringing up the tired "societal norms" or "social media dividing people" arguments is beginning to sound like weak excuses for people to act shitty because they don't like that.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 11:30:43

At 2/10/23 10:16 AM, orangebomb wrote: You know a conversation has gone off the rails when people are judging other people based off of D&D alignments. Not to mention that bringing up the tired "societal norms" or "social media dividing people" arguments is beginning to sound like weak excuses for people to act shitty because they don't like that.

FYI I wasn't judging people based on D&D alignments, just using D&D as an example to show that being good is a personal choice, just like D&D alignments are. But someone took it out of context and put their words in my mouth.

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 12:00:42

At 2/9/23 09:54 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 2/9/23 09:12 PM, decampo wrote:
At 2/9/23 10:46 AM, glazedeyez wrote: The issue with average people is that they are in a constant state of having to conform to the societal norm no matter what. They're neither rich, famous, and attractive enough, or poor, diseased, and ugly enough to defy those expectations. They aren't daring enough or disillusioned enough to break from societal constraints, and as a result, they subconsciously enforce them. Every standard or expectation in a commuity is always decided by consesus, by the average. The people who complain about what the world has come to are often the ones who cause it in the first place. I'm not saying it's yourself OP, but it's pretty common thing I noticed myself. Some people are just oblivous to how terrible they truly are.
I completely agree with you, but what I don't get is why agree to a norm that is just total crap, why not keep good human values. I'm not saying every person I meet is pure evil, I'm just saying that most of them lean towards evil. I know people aren't perfect (myself included), but in D&D terms, why choose a bad alignment? Why not choose to be good? Why do people follow social norms when the norms are wrong? Why not try to change bad norms with good norms? I want to live in a happy world that is ruled by love and acceptance, not by selfishness and hate. Why do it to each other on an individual level? You say it's the social norms, and I agree with you, but we created those norms, and by the end of the day, we control our own actions. Blaming social norms is no excuse for an individual's actions.
Okay.... You might want to dial that down a notch. This isn't D&D, a game, where things are easily categorized as good or evil, neutral, lawful, and chaotic. There is a lot of grey area around this in real life, and more complexities to it. Basically, stop accusing the vast majority of people as evil because you simply don't approve of they way they act.

No, I'm just saying the vast majority of people "I met", and come to think of it, the only reason I think that way because I remember those who hurt me more than those who helped me, because I (like others who do) sometimes forget that being good isn't something everyone does, it's a personal choice. So maybe most people I met aren't bad, I just remember the bad ones more, because as humans we remember pain easier than we remember pleasure.

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 13:04:06

At 2/10/23 12:00 PM, decampo wrote: So maybe most people I met aren't bad, I just remember the bad ones more, because as humans we remember pain easier than we remember pleasure.

love to see psychological healing in real time

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 14:19:44 (edited 2023-02-10 14:24:54)

At 2/10/23 12:00 PM, decampo wrote:
At 2/9/23 10:46 AM, glazedeyez wrote: The issue with average people is that they are in a constant state of having to conform to the societal norm no matter what. They're neither rich, famous, and attractive enough, or poor, diseased, and ugly enough to defy those expectations. They aren't daring enough or disillusioned enough to break from societal constraints, and as a result, they subconsciously enforce them. Every standard or expectation in a commuity is always decided by consesus, by the average. The people who complain about what the world has come to are often the ones who cause it in the first place. I'm not saying it's yourself OP, but it's pretty common thing I noticed myself. Some people are just oblivous to how terrible they truly are.
I completely agree with you, but what I don't get is why agree to a norm that is just total crap, why not keep good human values. I'm not saying every person I meet is pure evil, I'm just saying that most of them lean towards evil. I know people aren't perfect (myself included), but in D&D terms, why choose a bad alignment? Why not choose to be good? Why do people follow social norms when the norms are wrong? Why not try to change bad norms with good norms? I want to live in a happy world that is ruled by love and acceptance, not by selfishness and hate. Why do it to each other on an individual level? You say it's the social norms, and I agree with you, but we created those norms, and by the end of the day, we control our own actions. Blaming social norms is no excuse for an individual's actions.
Okay.... You might want to dial that down a notch. This isn't D&D, a game, where things are easily categorized as good or evil, neutral, lawful, and chaotic. There is a lot of grey area around this in real life, and more complexities to it. Basically, stop accusing the vast majority of people as evil because you simply don't approve of they way they act.
No, I'm just saying the vast majority of people "I met", and come to think of it, the only reason I think that way because I remember those who hurt me more than those who helped me, because I (like others who do) sometimes forget that being good isn't something everyone does, it's a personal choice. So maybe most people I met aren't bad, I just remember the bad ones more, because as humans we remember pain easier than we remember pleasure.

I think you are referring to just general bad behavior from people, rather than them being evil or bad. I mean, Hitler was evil. Charles Manson was evil. You are mostly dealing with people who don't kill others, or promote the deaths or suffering of others, or doing actual criminal activity, they simply are acting like kids and being stupid and selfish. These are the average people.

I've been called a lot of terrible things over the past 20 plus years of posting online, even threatened, and I just shrug it all off. It's just the way it is when you have millions of anonymous posters online who can saying say things that they wouldn't do face to face. They are just using words to excite you, for one reason or another. They can't really hurt you unless you let them.

I'm more concerned by politicians, and media personalities, promoting hatred of certain groups in the country for political power, or financial gain, which can lead to people in these groups to be hurt or treated as 2nd class citizens. I consider those who do this as bad people.

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 14:25:05

At 2/10/23 02:19 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 2/10/23 12:00 PM, decampo wrote:
I think you are referring to just general bad behavior from people, rather than them being evil or bad. I mean, Hitler was evil. Charles Manson was evil. You are mostly dealing with people who don't kill others, or promote the deaths or suffering of others, or doing actual criminal activity, they simply are acting like kids and being stupid and selfish. These are the average people.

I've been called a lot of terrible things over the past 20 plus years of posting online, even threatened. It's just the way it is when you have millions of anonymous posters online who can saying say things that they wouldn't do face to face. They are just using words to excite you, for one reason or another. They can't really hurt you unless you let them.

I'm more concerned by politicians, and media personalities, promoting hatred of certain groups in the country for political power, or financial gain, which can lead to people in these groups to be hurt or treated as 2nd class citizens. I consider those who do this as bad people.

Dude you're awesome!

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 15:43:34

At 2/10/23 10:01 AM, Tyler wrote:
At 2/10/23 03:20 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 2/9/23 09:15 PM, Tyler wrote:
lol hol’ up

Where on earth does Plato asserts that the world is simple?
Im pretty sure that actually real quote was about his color-blindness

That “quote” (wherever it came from) literally contains the words “the world is plainly simple.”

Of all the ways to attempt to defend this meme, I didn’t expect anybody to try to fob-off that Plato was colourblind.

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 16:02:27

At 2/10/23 03:43 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Of all the ways to attempt to defend this meme, I didn’t expect anybody to try to fob-off that Plato was colourblind.

Its not your fault you couldnt see the sarcastic smirk I wore when I posted:

Both of those posts were total BS - I dont recommend taking shitposts literally.

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 16:48:52

At 2/10/23 04:02 PM, Tyler wrote:
At 2/10/23 03:43 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Its not your fault you couldnt see the sarcastic smirk I wore when I posted:
Both of those posts were total BS - I dont recommend taking shitposts literally.

Sorry, what kind of post did you say it was?

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-02-10 20:45:58

Most people? Maybe you are being too cynical... Which is not good, but specially not good for you =(

Yet again, my social circle is TINY since I moved to USA, so who knows

Response to Average People 2023-02-11 18:36:40 (edited 2023-02-11 18:36:52)

Most people I meet seem okay and just trying to live their lives.

Response to Average People 2023-02-11 21:02:54

At 2/11/23 06:36 PM, EyeballEarth wrote: Most people I meet seem okay and just trying to live their lives.

It's all about perspective!

Response to Average People 2023-02-12 03:19:55

At 2/2/23 11:48 PM, decampo wrote: What is wrong with people?
Most people I meet are either judgmental, immature, exploiters, or discriminating. I'm not sure if it's only in the U.S. or if it has to do with the new generations? Is that how average people are everywhere and throughout time? Because I'm really disappointed!
Anyone else feel the same?

Do you know alot of people in multiple states? Have you traveled the world a bit? You only feel that way if you hang out online all the time. Same shit.

Make Newgrounds Great Again! Moderation should be fair, not abused.

Response to Average People 2023-02-16 21:22:56

Most people I meet are either judgmental, immature, exploiters, or discriminating. I'm not sure if it's only in the U.S. or if it has to do with the new generations? Is that how average people are everywhere and throughout time? Because I'm really disappointed!

I’m not sure if this necessarily can be exclusive to politics concerning people being well… people.

The thing is most of the average human beings go through shit behind closed doors you don’t know about unless you either over hear it or are really close enough to them to see why they are fucked up to a point where you see the judgmental, exploitive and discriminatory behaviors you’re talking about and most don’t have the humility to admit when they need help

Response to Average People 2023-02-16 22:03:24

At 2/16/23 09:22 PM, DioShiba wrote:
I’m not sure if this necessarily can be exclusive to politics concerning people being well… people.

The thing is most of the average human beings go through shit behind closed doors you don’t know about unless you either over hear it or are really close enough to them to see why they are fucked up to a point where you see the judgmental, exploitive and discriminatory behaviors you’re talking about and most don’t have the humility to admit when they need help

That is an honest answer, thank you for taking the time to write it. It's true, people do have hard lives, and sometimes I just wish the world was a better place, so that I can see the good side of others. It's just that I don't have many friends, and every time I try to make new friends, I'm met with judgement, or people with fake smiles who just don't feel natural. I seem to be just excluded from their groups. Never really connect with them, and I don't do social norms, I'm just who I am, and I don't care if it makes me awkward or look dumb. I just don't fit in, and I don't want to wear a mask (pretend to be someone I'm not) to do so. I tried being the funny guy, and it worked, people used to love me, but I hated myself because I wasn't being natural, just saying dumb shit to get them to like me, and they didn't like me for me, they just liked me for making them laugh. I just wish that I find a group of real people who are welcoming and not judgmental, who like me regardless of how I display myself. People who are not trying to fit into norms, just natural people, who are good and friendly.

Response to Average People 2023-02-16 22:16:24

At 2/16/23 10:03 PM, decampo wrote:
At 2/16/23 09:22 PM, DioShiba wrote:

That is an honest answer, thank you for taking the time to write it. It's true, people do have hard lives, and sometimes I just wish the world was a better place, so that I can see the good side of others. It's just that I don't have many friends, and every time I try to make new friends, I'm met with judgement, or people with fake smiles who just don't feel natural. I seem to be just excluded from their groups. Never really connect with them, and I don't do social norms, I'm just who I am, and I don't care if it makes me awkward or look dumb. I just don't fit in, and I don't want to wear a mask (pretend to be someone I'm not) to do so. I tried being the funny guy, and it worked, people used to love me, but I hated myself because I wasn't being natural, just saying dumb shit to get them to like me, and they didn't like me for me, they just liked me for making them laugh. I just wish that I find a group of real people who are welcoming and not judgmental, who like me regardless of how I display myself. People who are not trying to fit into norms, just natural people, who are good and friendly.

Then, be yourself.

Normalcy is an illusion. If everyone was normal we’d all be thinking alike and all opinions would be the same. And what fun would that be? Fuck what other people think.

I know I’m a weirdo and I don't bother hiding it anymore. It’s just not in my personality. If people do not like that then that’s their problem and I don't mind being an asshole to them to get that point across if I feel the need to when they start being asses themselves.

It’s usually the people who are odd that go far in life. Dr. Suess said something like along those lines.

Response to Average People 2023-02-16 23:32:55 (edited 2023-02-16 23:35:34)

At 2/10/23 02:19 PM, EdyKel wrote: I think you are referring to just general bad behavior from people, rather than them being evil or bad. I mean, Hitler was evil. Charles Manson was evil. You are mostly dealing with people who don't kill others, or promote the deaths or suffering of others, or doing actual criminal activity, they simply are acting like kids and being stupid and selfish. These are the average people.

I was going to go onto a tangent about how sometimes evil people can have points about society that most other people can't see but then I realized I'd probably end up making another long winded, nuanced post about who and why while pointing out it still won't change the fact that they've done insanely shitty things that are inhumane.

But it does go back into the point I made about how the issues deal with behind closed doors lead them to do all those things OP pointed out (and then some) I will say that, in general no one is born evil inherently. Usually that is the result of external conditions, trauma, environmental factors and so fourth.

Response to Average People 2023-02-23 08:55:36

They choose that path

Response to Average People 2023-02-25 12:07:21 (edited 2023-02-25 12:11:44)

At 2/23/23 08:55 AM, Waterina wrote: They choose that path

The issue is that there are people who are straight up assholes, then you got those who act nice in your face and deep down they're assholes (these are the worse). Some very few, act like assholes, but deep down they're nice (good luck figuring that out). But I've never met someone who is nice inside and out (sadly).

I give people benefit of the doubt, but I noticed that I give too much of those. Even in the comments, a lot of people got defensive and tried to make me look like the asshole for posting what I posted. But I love your answer, it is a choice, they have no excuse.

Response to Average People 2023-02-25 12:19:40

At 2/25/23 12:15 PM, Seth wrote: I think it's mainly the U.S., but not exclusive to it.
Whenever I see one of those "Karen gets owned" or other types of videos where it's personal attacks against "types" of people, they're in the states.

Sadly!

Response to Average People 2023-03-09 02:56:53

At 2/7/23 05:44 PM, FunkyStinker wrote: yeah, a good amount of people suck, especially if you know where to find said people, online and offline. the best thing we can do is try to not spread the hate further, but that's honestly really hard as everyone hates everyone nowadays, wanting them to die and/or be miserable, mainly over small things that shouldnt matter at all

I personally don’t hate anyone unless I see that they are a shitty person who ultimately hates innocent people for whatever reason. This may be a paradox, but in the end I wish for the best outcome for all of us. I can’t fathom the people who put themselves on a pedestal next to other people and treat them subhuman. Maybe I only don’t see other people this because I’m never given the chance, but I always make it a priority to follow the golden rule.

Are we all just more mature than the “average” person? No, wait…now we are belittling people!

Shit Happens

BBS Signature

Response to Average People 2023-03-09 09:11:36

If most people youre meeting are like that, youre the problem. Focus on the good. You can be judgemental yet helpful and kind. You can be immature yet caring and nice. You focus and look for the bad, thats all you will see.

Make Newgrounds Great Again! Moderation should be fair, not abused.

Response to Average People 2023-03-09 09:32:58

At 3/9/23 09:11 AM, Cerbskies wrote:
If most people youre meeting are like that, youre the problem. Focus on the good. You can be judgemental yet helpful and kind. You can be immature yet caring and nice. You focus and look for the bad, thats all you will see.

What you say is true, but the problem is when you have to dig so hard to find the good underneath the bad, it's almost like you need to lure out the good within a person, to get them to be good, to spoon feed the good within them rather than receive the good naturally, and that just makes me wonder if they're actually good or just playing you.