00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Koy1e just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is it abuse?

1,409 Views | 42 Replies

Is it abuse? 2023-02-26 14:15:16

Hitting a child is a very commonly recognized form of child abuse.

Do you agree that it should or shouldn't be?

And do you believe context matters?

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-26 14:36:58

Giving them a bit of a slap occasionally when they are bad might not be the best thing to do, but calling it abuse seems a stretch.

Context never matters.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-26 14:49:08

I’d say it depends on the severity. I wouldn’t call it abuse if it’s a mild slap on the backside, although it can easily lead to abuse if the parents let their emotions get the better of them. Generally I think it’s much better to discipline through non violent means.

Good times good times good times good times

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-26 16:00:16

It depends on if they hit you first or not

No pods, no casters

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-26 16:21:50

All that demonstrates to a child is that the parent loses control of their emotions.

We don’t need to prove our physical strength on our children.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-26 16:35:52

Hitting your kid if they're really acting up is perfectly fine. Sometimes it's only way to get them to behave or perform their duties.

Obviously, if you do it for every little thing, then it starts to get abusive.

coo coo bitch lmfao

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-26 16:49:16 (edited 2023-02-26 16:51:27)

I've never been hit by my parents. You don't need to hit your children to discipline them - it only teaches them that 1) you resort to violence to get your way and 2) you shouldn't get caught for the things you do

The only time I think context really matters is if they did something that flagrantly risked their life and/or the lives of others around them, and even then I would not jump to hitting them. Shouting would probably be equally effective.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-26 17:06:55

At 2/26/23 02:15 PM, guyfromKillerRAT wrote: Hitting a child is a very commonly recognized form of child abuse.

Hitting your child is always wrong, context be damned.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-26 19:31:34 (edited 2023-02-26 19:55:53)

I say it depends on the child and the parents. Sometimes kids need a good spanking to straighten them up but parents also shouldn't severely punish a child for petty stuff or strike them hard enough to cause actual harm. I'm okay with whatever as long as they aren't yelling in their face or using an iron to discipline them. Idk maybe I'm biased, my parents would grab w/e they could reach and go to town. I was a horrible child though haha. It definitely got me to think of the consequences before I do anything and deterred me from repeating past mistakes.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-27 05:56:38

At 2/26/23 04:21 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
All that demonstrates to a child is that the parent loses control of their emotions.

We don’t need to prove our physical strength on our children.

It was a joke 😅 clearly this isn't the right way to think

No pods, no casters

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-27 09:00:30

The real question is who hits the parent(s) when they misbehave?

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-27 13:00:16

there are other better and more effective ways to punish children than by physically assaulting them

yes, it is abuse, and it's pointless in the face of better discipline methods (negative punishment is better than positive punishment, for those behavioral psych folk out there)

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-27 20:01:19

My one friend was only spanked once as a child, and that was when she ran out into the middle of the road. She was lucky the car stopped in time.

Seeing how she could have been seriously hurt or killed, I'd say that was justified.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-27 20:17:01

At 2/26/23 02:15 PM, guyfromKillerRAT wrote: Hitting a child is a very commonly recognized form of child abuse.

Context always matters. But some kids need their shit kicked in cause in the end theres only one thing humans universally know, fear.

Make Newgrounds Great Again! Moderation should be fair, not abused.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-27 23:27:57

At 2/27/23 08:17 PM, Cerbskies wrote:
Context always matters. But some kids need their shit kicked in cause in the end theres only one thing humans universally know, fear.

And you think raising humans to obey those they fear is a good practice?

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-28 00:30:18

Parents who hit their children do it because they lack the ability to communicate with their child. Parents who don't hit their children but can't raise kids for shit, also lack the ability to communicate with their child. In short, communication is the real issue here, heck it's the issue in any relationship as well (most of the time). Have enough time to know your kids, nurture them, and be their friend. No child should be hit. Parents need to communicate well, and understand their kids better. If you can't do that, don't be a parent.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-28 07:48:41

At 2/27/23 11:27 PM, decampo wrote:

Yea. It's why the majority of people don't break the law. Fear of repercussions.

Fear leads to obedience, which leads to respect. Too much fear and you wont get anything but just the right amount does wonders.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-28 16:37:03

At 2/27/23 08:01 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: My one friend was only spanked once as a child, and that was when she ran out into the middle of the road. She was lucky the car stopped in time.

Seeing how she could have been seriously hurt or killed, I'd say that was justified.

"We hurt her because she might have hurt herself" does not seem like sound reasoning to me.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-28 17:16:24

if they screech in my ear then yes i would smack the mf to the days of 100bc

fart

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-02-28 19:26:51

At 2/28/23 07:48 AM, Cerbskies wrote:
Yea. It's why the majority of people don't break the law. Fear of repercussions.

Fear leads to obedience, which leads to respect. Too much fear and you wont get anything but just the right amount does wonders.

Obedience to whom?

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-01 00:33:55

At 2/28/23 07:26 PM, decampo wrote:
At 2/28/23 07:48 AM, Cerbskies wrote:

Obedience to whom?

The one being feared in the hypothetical

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-01 22:01:37

I wonder how many people with opinions on this have kids

Formerly Travis… yeah that one (I’m bored)

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-01 22:14:39

At 3/1/23 10:01 PM, Nu-Travisty wrote: I wonder how many people with opinions on this have kids

A better question is, how many of them are kids themselves?

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-02 05:09:36

My parents thought it was necessary to spank me to teach me lessons. Problem is, it would always be over some shit I didn't even do, or they misinterpreted, or a lie some other kid told, so I'd just end up super pissed off and resentful. It taught me nothing whatsoever.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-02 13:49:59

Yooo my mother beat me up literally

two days ago. I'm 20 though so I'm

not really a kid anymore so yeah.

She did it to emphasize how much

of a loving, caring, and flexible mom

she's been to me my entire life.

Seriously. She slapped my face to

say that she loves me, and hit me

in the shoulders to say that she

cared about me.

It's like that every couple of months.

Completely unrelated to the topic

but I think it's been confirmed many

times that hitting your child does

absolutely fucking no good.

It's all there in the manual.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-02 14:01:44

I don't think you should ever hit your kids. It would be better if you use non violent disciplinaries.

Arm-Shock will never die!

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-02 15:41:35

When I was a child if I did something wrong and my parent hit me as long as it wasn't going too far it was considered Discipline. Now however not so much.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-02 16:39:24

Maybe a smack on the hand, but that's about it.

Anything more is abuse.

Just another NG user.

Thanks, @COOLZONE17500 for the cool signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-02 18:31:01

You guys all thinking of abusing a son or a daughter, I'm out here thinking about hitting someone else's kid. It's up to us as responsible adults to teach kids in a manner their parents can't, y'know what I'm saying?

xoxo 💋 (ps: okay I guess you can watch TRW)

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-02 18:32:06

Personally, just throw whatever you got in your hands.

Good time for kid to screw up: When you’re holding a newspaper

Bad time for kid to screw up: When you’re holding a brick.