00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dawn17170 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is it abuse?

1,408 Views | 42 Replies

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-03 04:03:40

You know I someone who was genuinely abused as a kid and got thrown in CPS because of it,

Yes. Not only is hitting your kid abuse but it doesn't really teach your child anything. It teaches a child that if they hit others when they don't get their way, they can strike fear in their peers and manipulate others into giving them what they want. Spanking, swatting hands, smacking, any form of corporal punishment just doesn't work 99 percent of the time. I was hit as a kid and I can personally tell you that it caused major issues at school, cuz I would hit my peers and teachers thinking it's fine "because Mommy and Daddy hit me and my brother". There's a thousand other ways to discipline children, and if you have to resort to getting physical than you haven't tried hard enough as a parent imo.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-03 07:00:27

At 2/26/23 02:15 PM, guyfromKillerRAT wrote: Hitting a child is a very commonly recognized form of child abuse.
Do you agree that it should or shouldn't be?
And do you believe context matters?

Listen bro if my kid is screaming in the Walmart...

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-03 11:11:35

A little ass whooping with a spatula has always been excepted

Hi :)

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-09 02:59:21

At 2/26/23 02:36 PM, 0315-1015 wrote: Giving them a bit of a slap occasionally when they are bad might not be the best thing to do, but calling it abuse seems a stretch.

Context never matters.

A light slap will do, but anything with force is too much. Would you slap your dog with all the energy in the world? No. That’s animal abuse.

Same goes for a child.

Shit Happens

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-09 09:34:21

At 3/1/23 12:33 AM, Cerbskies wrote:
At 2/28/23 07:26 PM, decampo wrote:
At 2/28/23 07:48 AM, Cerbskies wrote:
At 2/27/23 11:27 PM, decampo wrote:
At 2/27/23 08:17 PM, Cerbskies wrote:
At 2/26/23 02:15 PM, guyfromKillerRAT wrote: Hitting a child is a very commonly recognized form of child abuse.
Context always matters. But some kids need their shit kicked in cause in the end theres only one thing humans universally know, fear.
And you think raising humans to obey those they fear is a good practice?
Yea. It's why the majority of people don't break the law. Fear of repercussions.

Fear leads to obedience, which leads to respect. Too much fear and you wont get anything but just the right amount does wonders.
Obedience to whom?
The one being feared in the hypothetical

Well, you wouldn't be saying that if you lived in North Korea

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-09 15:20:05

At 3/9/23 09:34 AM, decampo wrote:
At 3/1/23 12:33 AM, Cerbskies wrote:
At 2/28/23 07:26 PM, decampo wrote:
Context always matters. But some kids need their shit kicked in cause in the end theres only one thing humans universally know, fear.
Yea. It's why the majority of people don't break the law. Fear of repercussions.

Fear leads to obedience, which leads to respect. Too much fear and you wont get anything but just the right amount does wonders.
Obedience to whom?
The one being feared in the hypothetical
Well, you wouldn't be saying that if you lived in North Korea

Yea I would? They fear their leader which leads to respect and obedience lol

Make Newgrounds Great Again! Moderation should be fair, not abused.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-11 12:54:14

On-topic chart with some funny reactions

iu_918793_7843618.png

hello

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-15 11:36:57 (edited 2023-03-15 11:39:17)

Slapping kids around is pretty commonplace in a lot of cultures, though I think the people whose parents hit them that insist the hardest that they "turned out fine" tend to be pretty fucked in the head. They always seem to carry into adulthood a kind of political and social ideology that revolves around violent coercion and a broad rejection of compassion; go figure.

I do think there's a grey area where a little nudge here and there doesn't really cross the threshold into abuse, but you can't tell what traumatizes a kid and fucks them up for life until it's way too late, so why push it. If you're enough of an adult to deal with a kid without having to rough them up, do a pacifist run on parenting. If you literally can't, then maybe don't reproduce.

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-17 07:54:39

I would never hit my children. I have foster siblings and I know that it's a very bad thing to do. It doesn't help the kids, I've seen that for when my siblings first lives with us. I have very good parents who have never hit me and look at me, I'm doing just fine.

Love you guys <3

BBS Signature

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-17 19:30:22

At 2/27/23 09:00 AM, decampo wrote: The real question is who hits the parent(s) when they misbehave?

my mother would, but it never happened... so far

O prudente varão há de ser mudo,

Que é melhor neste mundo, mar de enganos,

Ser louco c’os demais, que só, sisudo

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-17 19:31:09

At 2/27/23 01:00 PM, Gario wrote: there are other better and more effective ways to punish children than by physically assaulting them

yes, for example: psychological torture

very effective

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-17 19:53:40 (edited 2023-03-17 19:55:47)

the are many things humans know universally: revenge, hunger, thirst, desperation, love, pain, faith etc.

are you scared of repercussions? so as long you are not caught, do you consider crime a valid option?

do you tremble upon the vision of a police officer? do you hide under a blanket when police sirens are heard?

I disagree:

lack of intelligence leads to obedience

fear leads to feuds and betrayal

respect is gained through resourcefulness, dependability and sacrifice

Response to Is it abuse? 2023-03-17 20:14:02

At 3/17/23 07:53 PM, detergent1 wrote:
the are many things humans know universally: revenge, hunger, thirst, desperation, love, pain, faith etc.

are you scared of repercussions? so as long you are not caught, do you consider crime a valid option?
do you tremble upon the vision of a police officer? do you hide under a blanket when police sirens are heard?

I disagree:
lack of intelligence leads to obedience
fear leads to feuds and betrayal
respect is gained through resourcefulness, dependability and sacrifice

Teaching someone to fear þe punishment doesn't teach þem to do right.

It teaches þem not to get caught while doing wrong.

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.