00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SebG9 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Time Travel Game Thread

4,821 Views | 56 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello everyone,

I am working on a game, it's called Time Travel. It is a FPS-like logic game.

You can walk,

iu_935925_7887366.gif

hold cubes

iu_935927_7887366.gif

walk and drop cubes on things

iu_935924_7887366.gif

which can open doors.

iu_935932_7887366.gif

Also you can time travel. Every time you travel to past, your clone(s) will be created.

iu_935928_7887366.gif

That's everything I have right now.

Future plans:

• Enter and exit

• Triangles and their receivers

• Timeline detectors

• More levels

• Maybe some dialogues

• Better player model

If you would like to know about my progress, fav this thread. I will try to post advances every Friday.

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-03-31 21:39:08

At 3/31/23 10:39 AM, Dynamic0 wrote: Hello everyone,

I am working on a game, it's called Time Travel. It is a FPS-like logic game.

You can walk,

hold cubes

walk and drop cubes on things

which can open doors.

Also you can time travel. Every time you travel to past, your clone(s) will be created.

That's everything I have right now.

Future plans:

That sounds awesome! So like when you go back in time your “clone” as you put it does everything you did before you pushed the time travel button? That’s a really interesting concept, can’t wait to see how it comes out!

you guys like my tunes?

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-04-01 02:08:53

At 3/31/23 09:39 PM, underscore8298 wrote: That sounds awesome! So like when you go back in time your “clone” as you put it does everything you did before you pushed the time travel button? That’s a really interesting concept, can’t wait to see how it comes out!

Yes, when you time travel to the past the clone repeats all your actions. But you can also interact with the environment together with the clone. Furthermore, you can time travel more times and have many clones.

I'm glad you like the concept!

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-04-05 07:03:46

Back with updates!

First and most important: A space between wall cubes has been added because I think it's a cool effect.

Triangles and receivers were successfully created! When triangle enters the receiver, it cannot be grabbed until you time travel.

iu_940413_7887366.gif

Logic gates are functionality which may be added to every puzzle game:

• Logic gate AND

iu_940411_7887366.gif

• Logic gate OR

iu_940412_7887366.gif

That's all for today, thanks for reading.

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-04-14 12:29:16

Hello again,

this week a lot of changes happened. Enter and exit, stairs, broken web visuals, timeline detectors and Time Travel Memory Reset (or simply reset).

I'll start with most important think, broken web visuals:

I have launched Time Travel on web and I have noticed the visuals are different.

Debug app using Vulkan looks like this:

iu_947989_7887366.gif

And web version using GLES 3 looks like this:

iu_947988_7887366.gif

It is caused by not supported LightmapGI node (light baking node) in GL rendering. I hope they'll fix it soon but for now the web version looks like this:

iu_947990_7887366.gif

It looks flat but it's web supported and brighter.

Note: These posts will be recorded from Vulkan version. If you want to see GL version of something showed in this or previous posts, PM me. I will send you GIF of a thing you want.

That was the only problem of today's post, from now will be only updates.

Time Travel Memory Reset

My tester has observed that time traveling is unstable and suggested adding memory reset.

It was implemented and it looks like this:

iu_947993_7887366.gif

It also applies on holding.

iu_947991_7887366.gif

Enter and Exit

Enter and exit were mentioned in my list what I should implement.

It is a simple room with two doors.

iu_947992_7887366.gif

Timeline Detectors

They are squares on wall, showing red or green image of clock and a condition.

If a condition holds, Timeline Detector will be activated and vice versa.

iu_947994_7887366.gif

iu_947995_7887366.gif

iu_947997_7887366.gif

Stairs

The last update for today are stairs.

iu_947996_7887366.webp

Thats all, goodbye!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-04-19 04:52:34

Looks impressive.

When i saw the timeline detector stuff, i noticed this game will be more complex than it seems at first.

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-04-21 07:58:01

Hello guys!

I have news regarding broken web visuals.

The big missing features (in GLES 3.0) that are planned are:
1. 3D shadows
2. ReflectionProbes
3. LightmapGI
4. VoxelGI ...

These are some plans to fix in Godot 4.1. Time Travel uses first and third element.

Godot 4.1 release date isn't planned yet, but I hope it will be soon.

Barriers

These things are preventing players to get cubes (triangles) to wrong places.

iu_953438_7887366.gif

UI

As I have completed all the game elements, I started working on UI/HUD. You can see label saying "Timeline" in the top left corner of Barrier GIF.

Also pause menu and settings were implemented.

iu_953431_7887366.gif

iu_953432_7887366.gif

Subtitles

I have mentioned dialogues in future plans. Now they are implemented in the game.

They are going to be at start, end, and sometimes in the level.

iu_953439_7887366.gif

iu_953440_7887366.gif

You can notice the loading screen.

That's all for today, thanks for reading and goodbye!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-04-28 09:12:53

Hello everyone,

today I don't have much to share. I have already completed the elements, and now I'm working on levels.

But don't worry, today's post will not be empty!

Settings update

From now on, all my posts will be more focused on UI/HUD. This week I have added a slider visualizer, new option and a control hint.

• Control hint

iu_958494_7887366.webp

• Slider visualizer

iu_958495_7887366.gif

• Look sensitivity

iu_958496_7887366.gif

And about the levels:

There are fifteen levels planned right now, two of them being a tutorial.

Level 7 is finished, level 1 is in development.

Off-Topic

I have entered the AIM contest:

That's all for today, thanks for reading!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-05-06 03:12:46

Hello everyone!

This week wasn't good for me. I was ill. I was able to work only half a hour on Time Travel, on level 1. From now on, I will be able to work much more.

Thanks for reading and support!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-05-09 21:54:19

Cool stuff! I'm only working on a platform game currently with 2D.

This is what I have built so far...

iu_967706_4307602.webp

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-05-10 00:35:44

At 5/9/23 09:54 PM, darkcapton wrote: Cool stuff! I'm only working on a platform game currently with 2D.

Looks nice!

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-05-11 21:04:21

At 5/10/23 12:35 AM, Dynamic0 wrote:
At 5/9/23 09:54 PM, darkcapton wrote: Cool stuff! I'm only working on a platform game currently with 2D.

Looks nice!

Thanks. Just glad someone out in the web likes it! Just added 3 lives to the character and the ability to destroy the robot recently. My parents simply just don't approve or understand why I like building projects. It's almost like there's a generation gap...

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-05-12 10:19:29

Hello everyone!

Level one finished! It teaches about non-time travel mechanics (cubes, triangles, barriers). Otherwise, I can't say anything, except that I am now completely healthy.

Thank you for reading!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-05-19 07:15:06

Hello everyone!

Level 2 is in development, two of three parts are completed. Unfortunately, I have not yet came up with a good part which would teach advanced time travel mechanisms.

Thanks for reading!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-05-21 12:33:14

Glad your back and healthy again! Here's an update on my stuff.

Got invincibility working finally and 3 lives to boot. My robot walks back and forth, but can die from being hit on the head.

Just like to share.

iu_976247_4307602.webp

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-05-26 08:42:28

Hello everyone!

Level 2 is finished! I've scrapped the complex part and implemented a new mechanic instead! It's one of the devices explained sooner, but instead of opening doors, it changes whether Q and R work (the keys for time travel and time reset, respectively). Also level 3 is finished and level 4 is in development. I'll release an alpha version after level 4 is finished 🎉

Thanks for reading!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-02 09:41:06

Hello everyone!

I haven't released the alpha version yet, because of some fatal errors, not finished description, and a trip. I hope I'll release the alpha version during the following week. Also level 4 is finished.

Thanks for reading.

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-08 10:21:09

Hello everyone!

I have released the alpha version:

Hope you like it!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-16 07:38:07

Hello everyone!

I released the build 0001! The changes are included in the game description, but I will repeat them here one more time.

Let's start with the most important: I've added level 5.

Because the lights seemed to be there without purpose (they do not emit any light in the web version), they will not be visible in the web version from now on.

I've also written more subtitles, fixed bugs, and increased the subtitles appear time for longer subtitles.

(the game)

Thanks for reading!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-17 12:41:18

Hi, there,

I played the first version and it was great! I love the concept and can't wait to play the full version. 

There was one room where I didn't really understand what to do. It's the one with the three restriction doors, one ">4", one "<6" and one "=6", where to succeed I was just hoping that as time travelled the pyramid wouldn't reset its position.

Otherwise I have a small question: I have the impression of lagging a lot, yet I don't consider my GPU to be that shitty (RTX3060). Do the rooms have walls made up of cubes or is the room itself a cube? (which could improve performance) If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch this video from 1:50.

And also, this is my opinion, but for the first rooms, even if there's not much inside, can you make them a little bigger, because they feel a bit cramped?

Otherwise, keep up the good work, it's great and I'm really excited about this game!

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-19 07:13:42 (edited 2023-06-19 07:16:07)

At 6/17/23 12:41 PM, thespectre0 wrote: Hi, there,
I played the first version and it was great! I love the concept and can't wait to play the full version.
There was one room where I didn't really understand what to do. It's the one with the three restriction doors, one ...

Thank you very much for the review! I'm currently on a vacation for a week, I'll start working on the game back home.

There will be a subtitle indicating the use of time reset on the start of the level 4 (>4, <6, =6).

Thanks for the video, the rooms are made up of cubes, so I guess I will do some remaking of levels. By the way, I have GTX 1660, and it's not lagging. I will add FPS counter to the next version.

I need more info about the first rooms. Do you mean the transition pipes (they are supposed to small)? Or the tutorial room itself?

Once again, thank you for your nice feedback. It helpes me a lot.

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-19 16:57:20

There will be a subtitle indicating the use of time reset on the start of the level 4 (>4, <6, =6).

Yeah I've seen those but I'm don't know if movable object (like the cube) have their position reset when time traveling. That the part that confuse me because I feel like it's inconsistent.

By the way, I have GTX 1660, and it's not lagging. I will add FPS counter to the next version.

I don't know, but it's smooth and sometimes it just drop to 10fps. Perhaps it's juste my navigator... (does Edge is that Bad?!)

I need more info about the first rooms. Do you mean the transition pipes (they are supposed to small)? Or the tutorial room itself?

Tutorial room where you learn that you can put cube on a button.

You welcome! When I first see the project thread I was intrested but since I've played the alpha, I'm hype cause it remind me when I first play portal!

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-20 17:44:24

very cool idea, i would like to play this game

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-21 00:42:32

Yeah I've seen those but I'm don't know if movable object (like the cube) have their position reset when time traveling. That the part that confuse me because I feel like it's inconsistent.

Yes, they have their position, and even velocity reset. There is supposed to be quite advanced teaching of time reset instead of TODO.

By the way, I have GTX 1660, and it's not lagging. I will add FPS counter to the next version.
I don't know, but it's smooth and sometimes it just drop to 10fps. Perhaps it's juste my navigator... (does Edge is that Bad?!)

I really don't know what causes the lag. It may be a shader running on the barrier. Have you tried switching to chrome?

Tutorial room where you learn that you can put cube on a button.

Thanks for info, I will include it into the remaking of the levels.

You welcome! When I first see the project thread I was intrested but since I've played the alpha, I'm hype cause it remind me when I first play portal!

Fun fact: This game was at first supposed to be a Portal 2 mod.

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-21 00:43:39

At 6/20/23 05:44 PM, Thereapt75 wrote: very cool idea, i would like to play this game

You can play the alpha version here:

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-25 05:02:11

Hello everyone!

As I mentioned in one of the previous posts, I was on vacation and I was not able to work on my game. I expect the release of the Build 0002 next Friday.

Thanks for reading

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-06-30 04:06:13

Hello everyone!

Build 0002 is here! I added a new level, and a level selector. Also the pause menu was updated with Back to Menu button. For developer purposes, there is a new optional FPS counter. Finally, I have fixed various bugs.

(the game)

Thanks for reading!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-07-09 04:49:52

Hello everyone!

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is, I know what causes the lag which some of you experience and I'm solving it. The bad news is, I need more time and I will not be able to work next week. If all goes by the plan, I expect releasing of the build 0003 the week after the next week.

Thanks for reading!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-07-17 05:31:03

Hello everyone!

I fixed the lag! It looks like the original (in the web build). I did swapped the level order because the old level 6 didn't used time traveling, so I did moved it to level 2. Also the fullscreen was problematic, the UI anchoring is not working well. That's why I temporary disabled the fullscreen button. It will be disabled until I fix the fullscreen anchoring.

Thanks for reading!

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature

Response to Time Travel Game Thread 2023-07-28 12:23:19

Hello everyone.

This is going to be my last post until September 2nd (sunday). I am having a break from developing Time Travel, and some time to regenerate. I think this is going to be the best for me.

Goodbye,

@Dynamic0

Making a game.

BBS Signature