00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tshtsh17 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Thread: Video Game Rising

217,054 Views | 1,134 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 23:33:21

very sorry for the double post but i uploaded that and it looks fucking horrible so i croped it and raised the quality hopefully it looks better

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 00:12:39

the brains need more wrinkles in em.. either that or mold them a little and they could be human hearts instead.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 00:38:55

Monkey Island becomes Zombie Island!
OK last one I'm doing for this contest... It's starting to get in the way of my new game Hewitt (shameless plugs). :)

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 02:02:55

At 10/21/06 12:38 AM, LiLg wrote: Monkey Island becomes Zombie Island!
OK last one I'm doing for this contest... It's starting to get in the way of my new game Hewitt (shameless plugs). :)

very nice, even though I have never played that SINFUL game.

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 09:33:09

At 10/21/06 12:12 AM, Luis wrote: the brains need more wrinkles in em.. either that or mold them a little and they could be human hearts instead.

Yeah they just look like generic fleshy chunks :o

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 10:43:24

At 10/21/06 10:34 AM, deedeedee4 wrote: Here's another one for ya! Behold... ZOMBIE STICKMAN!!!

dude, seriously, get the fuck out of this thread.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 10:44:29

At 10/21/06 10:43 AM, grif3922 wrote:
At 10/21/06 10:34 AM, deedeedee4 wrote: Here's another one for ya! Behold... ZOMBIE STICKMAN!!!

Make me

dun dun DUUUUUH!!!!

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 10:45:20

At 10/21/06 10:44 AM, deedeedee4 wrote:
Make me

dun dun DUUUUUH!!!!

why soitenly. Let's play Dial-A-Mod!

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 10:49:42

At 10/21/06 10:44 AM, deedeedee4 wrote:
Make me

dun dun DUUUUUH!!!!

if he cant make you. i can.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 11:03:10

thanks for the sugestion well since before the brains were just circles with texture maps i remodeled them in an actual brain shape and added a better texture i think it looks better i just hope the quality looks good enough in this post

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 11:04:33

a dur forgot the picture shit lol sorrys

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 16:07:15

I should have mine done at the end of the week.......

I cant believe no ones thought of this ha...hahaha......er.....yeah

anywho, you all must wait for......

excitebike
death dealing style

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 17:36:30

At 10/21/06 12:38 AM, LiLg wrote: Monkey Island becomes Zombie Island!

This one is really well done. Good attention to detail.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-21 18:12:08

At 10/21/06 11:03 AM, dcp2k4 wrote: thanks for the sugestion well since before the brains were just circles with texture maps i remodeled them in an actual brain shape and added a better texture i think it looks better i just hope the quality looks good enough in this post

looks good

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-22 09:32:26

At 10/20/06 11:18 AM, Gmagnum wrote: My first good art I've made in flash. If any of you have played the Castle Cat games, you know who this is...

"I'm in your head eating your brainz"

why do i get reminded of that Shadow of The Colossus entry somewhere at the first pages..?

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-22 12:29:05

At 10/22/06 09:32 AM, CriTiaS-CreaTionS wrote:
At 10/20/06 11:18 AM, Gmagnum wrote: My first good art I've made in flash. If any of you have played the Castle Cat games, you know who this is...
"I'm in your head eating your brainz"

why do i get reminded of that Shadow of The Colossus entry somewhere at the first pages..?

Because the quotes are almost exactly the same (just replace in with on) oh and the shadow of the colussus one was the very first post in this entire forum.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-22 13:02:50

At 10/20/06 11:18 AM, Gmagnum wrote:
Actually, I got the idea from this

HOLY CRAP tHAT SITE IS AMAZING
Ceiling cat is watching you masturbate

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-22 16:33:03

Jeff, your drawings never fail to amaze and amuse me.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-22 16:55:00

This thread have sooo many awsome and inspiring pictures, I really wish I could draw too... Unfortunatley all I can draw are stick figures. But Í´m pretty good at that... :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-22 20:58:08

Well after nearly a month of quietly watching this thread and working on my own picture...here it is. It started from a drawing in my sketchbook, then I scaned it into photoshop and went over the lineart, tweaking and coloring. For those who cant tell its the prince from prince of persia, specifically prince of persia warrior within becuase thats the picture that I refrenced for this, and I think thats the game he looks most badass in. I really put some time into this so comments and the like are greatly appreciated.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-22 22:35:07

At 10/22/06 08:58 PM, Bizarro wrote: Well after nearly a month of quietly watching this thread and working on my own picture...here it is. It started from a drawing in my sketchbook, then I scaned it into photoshop and went over the lineart, tweaking and coloring. For those who cant tell its the prince from prince of persia, specifically prince of persia warrior within becuase thats the picture that I refrenced for this, and I think thats the game he looks most badass in. I really put some time into this so comments and the like are greatly appreciated.

I think maybe overused radial gradients there but it's cool. i really love the PoP series, just reached the end of two thrones.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-22 23:17:36

At 10/22/06 10:35 PM, TheHappySheep wrote: I think maybe overused radial gradients there but it's cool. i really love the PoP series, just reached the end of two thrones.

I actually didnt use any gradients, its all dodge and burn tool and the moon was a brush with low flow that I decreased the size of each time I painted

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-23 00:29:08

At 10/22/06 11:17 PM, Bizarro wrote: I actually didnt use any gradients, its all dodge and burn tool and the moon was a brush with low flow that I decreased the size of each time I painted

Don't take offense, but here's some crtiticism:

The proportions of the figure are pretty off (compare his hands with the size of his head).

A lot of the shapes look really flat, ie: no depth (especially the legs/thighs and background...looks like you stacked paper cutouts on top of each other) Try shading more with the contour of the underlying form. Also, think about where harsher shadows would be cast based on your light source. If the moon were that low, there'd be some seriously long shadows being cast by the figure on the ground, his chest, etc.

Too much blending. Often leaving some lines in, rather than blurring them all out, looks a lot better.

There's not much detail, all the materials look the same texture (make metal have more reflections...the blood on the ground is WET, where are the reflections? What is going on in that red mass in the middle of his body? Is that a belt? Guts? What?)

You purposely hid the feet cuz you couldn't draw them.

Both eyes being almost exactly the same, and perfect circles to boot, bothers me.

The blood spatter on his mouth is too uniform and geometric.

Overall, it looks heavily referenced or traced. The one positive is that the color scheme isn't too bad. I seriously hope you didn't spend as much time on it as you implied in your original post.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-23 01:39:12

At 10/23/06 12:29 AM, BoMToons wrote: Don't take offense, but here's some crtiticism:

The proportions of the figure are pretty off (compare his hands with the size of his head).

A lot of the shapes look really flat, ie: no depth (especially the legs/thighs and background...looks like you stacked paper cutouts on top of each other) Try shading more with the contour of the underlying form. Also, think about where harsher shadows would be cast based on your light source. If the moon were that low, there'd be some seriously long shadows being cast by the figure on the ground, his chest, etc.

I actually shaded it all with no background in mind, then when and added in the background at the last second forgetting about light source altogether.

Too much blending. Often leaving some lines in, rather than blurring them all out, looks a lot better.

I dont really know what your refering too with this, example?

There's not much detail, all the materials look the same texture (make metal have more reflections...the blood on the ground is WET, where are the reflections? What is going on in that red mass in the middle of his body? Is that a belt? Guts? What?)

I'll have you know that blood soaked sand doesnt reflect much...probably, actually I'll get back to you on that. The red mass is a cloth sash, though I'll admit it doesnt much look like one

You purposely hid the feet cuz you couldn't draw them.

Exactly(you could notice it less when I had grass as the ground before I realized there isnt much of that in a game having to do with sand) feet and perspective arent my strong points

Both eyes being almost exactly the same, and perfect circles to boot, bothers me.

The blood spatter on his mouth is too uniform and geometric.

Overall, it looks heavily referenced or traced. The one positive is that the color scheme isn't too bad. I seriously hope you didn't spend as much time on it as you implied in your original post.

As mentioned earlier I found a picutre and used that as a refrecnce, pose and all. I usually cant draw something entirely from my own mind or pose until I have enough practice drawing it which I didnt really have for this. As for your comment about how much time I took, it was a little harsh sounding, but no I did not spend all that time on it, It has just been a work in progess for 22 days but I didnt really work on it everyday or every chance I got(I did work on it a lot though, probably more than one would think is necessary for how it looks, but for someone who isnt too strong an artist I think I spent just enough time on it). Thanks for taking the time to write out what you thought about it, I'll probably try improving on it soon.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-23 01:46:04

At 10/23/06 01:39 AM, Bizarro wrote: stuff

Hey, you took that really well. Didn't mean to sound like a total jerk, but didn't want to just stroke your ego either. Good on you for taking criticism in stride and trying to learn from it.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-23 01:48:19

bom toons is right in most of his feedback.. i think my biggest gripe is with the arms being too short.. if you stand up straight you'll notice that generally your finger tips are actually closer to the top of your knee caps than your hip bone..

Its a very common misconception for artists to have the arm end near the waist when in fact the extend further down than that.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-23 01:53:03

At 10/22/06 11:17 PM, Bizarro wrote:
At 10/22/06 10:35 PM, TheHappySheep wrote: I think maybe overused radial gradients there but it's cool. i really love the PoP series, just reached the end of two thrones.
I actually didnt use any gradients, its all dodge and burn tool and the moon was a brush with low flow that I decreased the size of each time I painted

Oh, my bad. On his chest and bracers it kinda loks like a fill tool has been used. You cant really tell the shape as well as you might.
The best thing i ever did that helped me with shading was in a life drawing class the teacher projected a grid onto our model and then we had to draw only the lines on her, not any of her body. Then the next week we did noraml drawing and I found it was just much better after only one lesson. Shading is tricky

You're getting overtime crit on this huh? half the entries here just slide under the radar but you are getting thorough critic, hope you arent discouraged.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-23 02:11:08

At 10/23/06 01:48 AM, Luis wrote: Its a very common misconception for artists to have the arm end near the waist when in fact the extend further down than that.

Wow I didnt really notice that until you mentioned it, and with his legs spread like that I guess his arm should end down a lot further than it does

At 10/23/06 01:53 AM, TheHappySheep wrote: Shading is tricky

Indeed

You're getting overtime crit on this huh? half the entries here just slide under the radar but you are getting thorough critic, hope you arent discouraged.

It's not discouraging at all, it's nice to get comments and critisism on your work, It shows that people took some time to look at something and think about something you took some time and effort to make.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-23 02:18:17

At 10/23/06 02:11 AM, Bizarro wrote: Wow I didnt really notice that until you mentioned it, and with his legs spread like that I guess his arm should end down a lot further than it does

I think it's just perspective though I dont think you've conveyed it as much as the original did. I think ive seen it before. Can we see the picture you used?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-23 02:33:14

damn it's gonna take us 5 hours to whittle down the list to the winners.

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature