00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

femivore just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Android App

145,175 Views | 96 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Newgrounds Android App 2009-12-23 15:04:24

I'm Currently working on a Newgrounds andoid app and i want to get some input on how you the people of newgrounds would like the app to function, maybe simplified userpages, access to various animations ETC, maybe the ability to log in and vote.

So i ask, what does the NG community think, and should it be free when i am finished...I say yes, with maybe a donate button on it eh?

Newgrounds Android App

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2009-12-23 15:39:55

Didnt they spend a good bit of time tailoring the browser in Android so it would actually be usable, when viewing normal web pages on the phone?

If you think an app would be better go for it. But I dont, watching animation on newgrounds is just as easy as watching a video on youtube when I got a shot of an iPhone a while ago.

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik

irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2009-12-23 15:43:15

I'm possibly getting a Droid but wouldn't have much use for your app. As long as I can get my email and possibly a GPS app like the iPhone has for locating things (or traffic) that's free would be most helpful to me, especially because I never know where I'm going to end up when working with clients.

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2009-12-23 16:35:22

well there will also be a BBS part of the app for BBS Streams and what not

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2009-12-23 16:49:24

At 12/23/09 04:35 PM, djnet wrote: well there will also be a BBS part of the app for BBS Streams and what not

The question is: Does anyone care about NG enough to have a NG app? This forum is pretty dead most of the time and general isn't worth even looking at. So you have a lot of questions to ask before even spending the time developing the app. Sure it'd be good practice but maybe you should make something more practical and useful?

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2009-12-23 19:35:15

hmmm yeah i guess your right...it would be a nice fun app to have but i see your point...it wouldnt be widely popular i guess...at least i know not to venture forward with it.

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2009-12-23 19:36:57

At 12/23/09 07:35 PM, djnet wrote: hmmm yeah i guess your right...it would be a nice fun app to have but i see your point...it wouldnt be widely popular i guess...at least i know not to venture forward with it.

Yeah because who would you market it to and who actually has a smartphone? If you could make it compatible with most smartphones, it might be worth it.

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2009-12-23 22:35:19

At 12/23/09 03:43 PM, Jessii wrote: As long as I can get my email and possibly a GPS app like the iPhone has for locating things (or traffic)

You can, at least on my G1 you can plus a lot more.

It would be weird app and wouldn't be practical. When I'm on the go or bored out of my mind and I want to browse on my G1 I usually play the FREE games I download, go on Myspace, and more frequently go to FML. I personally think people wouldn't care enough to come on Newgrounds on their phones.

I am online

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2012-03-02 07:22:33

I say go for it. I actually searched for a Newgrounds app on the android market hoping for one. I would love for it to be free, but I'd say I would pay 3-5 bucks for it. As for suggestions, perhaps add customizable touch controls, such as being able to add the WASD keys to the screen. Also if you could make it Xperia Play compatible that would be awesome!

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2012-03-02 07:24:14

At 1 minute ago, Asylum628 wrote: I say go for it. I actually searched for a Newgrounds app on the android market hoping for one. I would love for it to be free, but I'd say I would pay 3-5 bucks for it. As for suggestions, perhaps add customizable touch controls, such as being able to add the WASD keys to the screen. Also if you could make it Xperia Play compatible that would be awesome!

Disregard this, I appear to have been one click away in my search for the app.

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2012-07-12 18:16:47

Where was the App? Is it free? Where where where!? ^_^

At 3/2/12 07:24 AM, Asylum628 wrote:

Disregard this, I appear to have been one click away in my search for the app.

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2013-08-09 17:56:34

At 7/14/12 12:52 PM, Entice wrote: A shame that this was never finished. Newgrounds is NOT easy to navigate on a mobile phone.

I have to bump this. Why is there still no official app? I can't play any games or do anything on the site other than posting or lurking.I get an error saying that my device is not supported for a game, but how do i know which games are supported? It would be nice to have an app that listed games or movies i can view on my device. Also an app that could emulate input or somehow allow me to view content would be tits. I'm not sure how possible any of this is, just putting it out there.

Also i love this forum even if it is slow :-)

Fear Popo Bawa!!!

John Goodman | ¥

while(<>){chomp;print;}

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2013-08-14 11:47:45

At 8/9/13 05:56 PM, Sterance wrote:
At 7/14/12 12:52 PM, Entice wrote: A shame that this was never finished. Newgrounds is NOT easy to navigate on a mobile phone.
I have to bump this. Why is there still no official app? I can't play any games or do anything on the site other than posting or lurking.I get an error saying that my device is not supported for a game, but how do i know which games are supported? It would be nice to have an app that listed games or movies i can view on my device. Also an app that could emulate input or somehow allow me to view content would be tits. I'm not sure how possible any of this is, just putting it out there.

Also i love this forum even if it is slow :-)

I feel the same, most of the negative feedback appears to have come form people who just didnt understand what smartphones and the android os was. They killed it without any knowledge of anything. Sad that people who dont know have that power. :/

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2013-08-14 12:02:21

There is a lot that goes into making an app like this, and a lot of what you would need is not publicly available. The only public API that Newgrounds has is user authentication. I don't know if they have any other API's, but they are not listed. Trying to get this kind of data via the web is not viable.

There's also the question of apps versus mobile web. This type of website would likely benefit better from developing a mobile version of the site, rather than forcing users to download an app. However, they have tried this in the past with the PSP version of the site - which likely didn't have enough traffic to make it important enough to continue.

Newgrounds is a site that people visit on computers, and less on smartphones and tablets, especially since the majority of the site is based in Flash. I'll agree that there are some fun things to think about on this topic, but I'm just not sure it would be used widely enough to be worth putting the effort into.

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2015-09-30 10:23:33

At 8/14/13 12:02 PM, WoogieNoogie wrote: There is a lot that goes into making an app like this, and a lot of what you would need is not publicly available. The only public API that Newgrounds has is user authentication. I don't know if they have any other API's, but they are not listed. Trying to get this kind of data via the web is not viable.

There's also the question of apps versus mobile web. This type of website would likely benefit better from developing a mobile version of the site, rather than forcing users to download an app. However, they have tried this in the past with the PSP version of the site - which likely didn't have enough traffic to make it important enough to continue.

Newgrounds is a site that people visit on computers, and less on smartphones and tablets, especially since the majority of the site is based in Flash. I'll agree that there are some fun things to think about on this topic, but I'm just not sure it would be used widely enough to be worth putting the effort into.

I'm replying to this via my tablet. I wished it had a mobile web version or app. I only visit NG for audios mostly, since I only play GD and fetch music from here. It's not that hard for me to navigate my profile and the audio portal.
I use the ES Player that allows to play audios and videos in my web.

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2015-09-30 21:56:15

It seems like a lot of Newgrounds games rely on keyboard entries, which crosses out a lot of Android and smartphone apps.

There's already a Newgrounds Mobile page (http://newgroundsmobile.com/), and if users specifically create an app to be smartphone compatible, it will work there (as I've learned from personal experience). But, no ads, so little incentive.

I have an Android, and I just bookmarked that page.

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-04-01 23:23:47

I say free app

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-04-03 12:37:15

Yep, 100% free. You want new users.

Also, can I be a beta tester ? :P

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-04-05 22:24:53

At 4/3/18 12:37 PM, Aprime wrote: Yep, 100% free. You want new users.

Also, can I be a beta tester

This is from 2009 my dudes...the project fell through due to the lack of flash support on OG android devices

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-04-06 12:27:17

At 4/5/18 10:24 PM, djnet wrote:

This is from 2009 my dudes...the project fell through due to the lack of flash support on OG android devices

You've had nearly 10 years to build it, I demand that it works and works well with Flash games without lag!

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-04-06 13:14:55

At 4/6/18 12:27 PM, Aprime wrote:

You've had nearly 10 years to build it, I demand that it works and works well with Flash games without lag!

I was reading this thread as if it was from this year and this quote from 2009 still works: "The question is: Does anyone care about NG enough to have a NG app? This forum is pretty dead most of the time and general isn't worth even looking at. "

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-04-29 06:03:33

As a matter of fact I've always thought of NG making an app, Cuz maybe it could even be used offline, you know some features like saved media to be viewed offline, you know? I am mostly offline so I think so. I think you should go for it.

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-07-12 02:49:53

At 12/23/09 03:04 PM, djnet wrote: I'm Currently working on a Newgrounds andoid app and i want to get some input on how you the people of newgrounds would like the app to function, maybe simplified userpages, access to various animations ETC, maybe the ability to log in and vote.

So i ask, what does the NG community think, and should it be free when i am finished...I say yes, with maybe a donate button on it eh?

Actually it’s too long to get made but you are allowed to enter the website when you are on mobile

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-08-20 20:01:21

At 4/6/18 01:14 PM, TomFulp wrote: I was reading this thread as if it was from this year and this quote from 2009 still works: "The question is: Does anyone care about NG enough to have a NG app? This forum is pretty dead most of the time and general isn't worth even looking at. "

It's all relative. The forum was damn lively in 2009 compared to today. Forums just aren't a thing on the modern 'net. Aside from a few hardcore dedicated remnants at least. To get those italics I needed to click a button that added tags to my post. That's just archaic at this point. Kids these days, etc.

The internet is getting so centralised now. Just the idea of going to a website (or having a special app for one) to communicate and engage in a community is alien to a lot of people. They just stick to Facebook, Twitter, Discord, Snapchat, etc.

Does Newgrounds even need forums any more? I think the same functionality could be fulfilled by one or more discord servers.

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-10-03 01:41:54

Hay i cant find any newgrounds app now

I'm not high, im just on cafine, adrenaline rush, and/or have a "rocket" in my pocket!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-10-03 01:43:41

Whats discord?

I'm not high, im just on cafine, adrenaline rush, and/or have a "rocket" in my pocket!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-10-03 01:46:23

At 8/20/18 08:01 PM, Lambtaco wrote:
At 4/6/18 01:14 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Woh top fulp is here?

It's all relative. The forum was damn lively in 2009 compared to today. ...

The internet is getting so centralised now. Yea its called globalism. And its hitting the net too...

They just stick to Facebook, Twitter, Discord, Snapchat, etc.

Does Newgrounds even need forums any more? I think the same functionality could be fulfilled by one or more discord servers.

WHAT'S DISCORD???

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-12-06 14:25:08

Holy Necrobumps Batman

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2018-12-08 12:11:56

At 12/6/18 02:25 PM, WalterLuigi wrote: Holy Necrobumps Batman

Holy Necrobumps Jason*

Response to Newgrounds Android App 2019-01-19 09:41:40

Yeah but those guys didn't even give it that much thought and just said no

Now there actually more people who want the app. So dude is it possible if you could start the project up again I also personally would love a new grounds app and you could always? I people to spread the news about the app and get people to download to get the app attention. It's a new year now so who knows what might happen maybe the website will suddenly get more popular causing people to want an app for the website and be disappointed to find there isn't one this could be a big opportunity to get the app started now so if there are any newcomers to the website they can also download the app.