00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BeeluArts just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition

12,002 Views | 195 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The 3rd Comics and Random Art Battles (/crab/ 3) tournament will decide (once more) the fate of the multiverse. OCs from multiple universes will be kidnapped by me, the Gamemaster @gamemasterchan, put into teams and take part in many extreme challenges to obtain a single Wish, whatever it may be!

iu_1213603_21230607.webp

For the 3rd edition, I've sought to expand its scope from beyond the current pool of potential crabs acquired. Therefore, I've decided that Newgrounds could be a good place for /CRAB/ to grow and prosper. Is your character up to it?

Q&A

How to join the event (18+ only)?

Share a comic, illustration, puppet show, animation, video game, music album or whatever your heart desires of your original character. Show them introducing themselves, fighting, being kidnapped by the GM or whatever you deem appropriate. The entry can be as small as a single image or as big as a 50 page epic. The most common choice is comic but many people have done different things the entire tournament.

Third Tournament?

Two years ago we organized on /co/ (4chan) the most successful OC Tournament with guests from various boards (20+) and then we improved the formula the following year with 48 OCs for /crab/2.

When does it start? How long would it take?

Mid July. 3 rounds in about 11 weeks.

Do I need to know what happened in the previous parts?

Not really, but if you’re interested, you can dig deeper in our discord or archive.

Discord?

Access for contestants only.

Are they individual or group duels?

Depending on the number, teams of 4, 5 or even 6 characters would be formed. Last year we had 8 teams of 6 characters.

What types of duels?

Thematically, only one of the three planned stages is Combat, the other two can be anything. The First year it was Dance and Cooking. Then Sports and Leisure in the Second.

How’s a winner declared?

Individual points will be added to the team total, defined by voting. There is no elimination so you have a chance to come back. The team with the most points at the end takes all.

How does communication work?

Mainly on Discord, for the simple reason that it's not efficient to keep communication only in the threads. However it is possible to avoid Discord at your own risk, one of the contestants last year did it.

Who runs everything?

Me, the Gamemaster, a multidimensional wizard of thousands of years of virginity and power.

iu_1213605_21230607.webp

Credits to @sireforseti @arkanglecomics @afroeuropean @saintbon @justajanny @bobbyg309 @slimefire123 @sitonmyfacepoppy @tootsier @porcucatchaos @kavrak @spartorpedo @sahxyel @anomalousresearch @madmack0 among others...

Should you choose to enter your precious character, a dear future crab, be warned that many great and terrible things await them in my Bucket. Though there is much to lose in this tournament, there is much to gain. Do they seek wealth? Power? Some other base desire, perhaps. Doesn’t matter what their wish may be, it will be granted should they win. Whatever walk of life they come from, I’m looking for crabs who won’t shirk from attaining their goal. One not just with an exoskeleton, mind you, but those that stand vertebrate. One whose true nature endures against the perils that await them. What will your crab do to gain their fondest dream? No matter what path you choose, always remember that you cannot always be a hero, but one can always be a crab.

BBS Signature

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-01 11:02:01

iu_1213606_18797397.png

This is Kome, she is joining the Tournament in order to WIN.

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-01 11:10:04

At 6/1/24 10:54 AM, GamemasterChan wrote:The 3rd Comics and Random Art Battles (/crab/ 3) tournament will decide (once more) the fate of the multiverse. OCs from multiple universes will be kidnapped by me, the Gamemaster @gamemasterchan, put into teams and take part in many extreme challenges to obtain a single Wish, whatever it may be!

For the 3rd edition, I've sought to expand its scope from beyond the current pool of potential crabs acquired. Therefore, I've decided that Newgrounds could be a good place for /CRAB/ to grow and prosper. Is your character up to it?

Q&A

Share a comic, illustration, puppet show, animation, video game, music album or whatever your heart desires of your original character. Show them introducing themselves, fighting, being kidnapped by the GM or whatever you deem appropriate. The entry can be as small as a single image or as big as a 50 page epic. The most common choice is comic but many people have done different things the entire tournament.

Third Tournament?

Two years ago we organized on /co/ (4chan) the most successful OC Tournament with guests from various boards (20+) and then we improved the formula the following year with 48 OCs for /crab/2.

Not really, but if you’re interested, you can dig deeper in our discord or archive.

Discord?

Depending on the number, teams of 4, 5 or even 6 characters would be formed. Last year we had 8 teams of 6 characters.

What types of duels?

Thematically, only one of the three planned stages is Combat, the other two can be anything. The First year it was Dance and Cooking. Then Sports and Leisure in the Second.

How’s a winner declared?

Individual points will be added to the team total, defined by voting. There is no elimination so you have a chance to come back. The team with the most points at the end takes all.

Mainly on Discord, for the simple reason that it's not efficient to keep communication only in the threads. However it is possible to avoid Discord at your own risk, one of the contestants last year did it.

Who runs everything?

Me, the Gamemaster, a multidimensional wizard of thousands of years of virginity and power.

Credits to @sireforseti @arkanglecomics @afroeuropean @saintbon @justajanny @bobbyg309 @slimefire123 @sitonmyfacepoppy @tootsier @porcucatchaos @kavrak @spartorpedo @sahxyel @anomalousresearch @madmack0 among others...

Should you choose to enter your precious character, a dear future crab, be warned that many great and terrible things await them in my Bucket. Though there is much to lose in this tournament, there is much to gain. Do they seek wealth? Power? Some other base desire, perhaps. Doesn’t matter what their wish may be, it will be granted should they win. Whatever walk of life they come from, I’m looking for crabs who won’t shirk from attaining their goal. One not just with an exoskeleton, mind you, but those that stand vertebrate. One whose true nature endures against the perils that await them. What will your crab do to gain their fondest dream? No matter what path you choose, always remember that you cannot always be a hero, but one can always be a crab.

iu_1213623_17826295.webp

ENTER

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-01 11:11:35

iu_1213624_5197794.webp

The punk rocker from the farmlands himself!

Wietse is here, and he's gonna Rock 'n' Roll all over the competition!

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-01 12:37:40

Just an elf kid. What could possibly go wrong? Ocapon is in!

By the way, if anyone is curious about how the duels go, I have compiled my team's stories (and my opponents') for both Crab 1 and Crab 2 here:

https://spartorpedo.wixsite.com/about/crab

https://spartorpedo.wixsite.com/about/crab2

I'll upload my parts to NG later, but it takes time...

iu_1213719_22275262.webp

To give more of an insight of what's to expect in this tournament, here are my entries of the previous 2 tournaments with my characters Justin and Vivian:

iu_1213735_5197794.webp

iu_1213734_5197794.webp

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-01 13:13:45

My previous entries for /CRAB2/, where I entered with Carolyn Sherman-Mathers, a private eye with an empty hole for a face who grieves for man long gone.

/CRAB2/ R1: Carolyn vs Chadwick -- https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/z52tXQW/1/1/

/CRAB2/ R2: Carolyn vs Balkari -- https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/pglpx7R/1/1/

/CRAB2/ R3: Carolyn vs Chuckson -- https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/QfWg4If/1/1/

For my upcoming entry for /CRAB3/, I will be entering with Alicade Tredecima, a psychopathic mage hellbent on reviving her father, a hivemind possessing a million bodies transformed into her likeness.

iu_1213741_9538933.webp

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-01 13:16:25

iu_1213742_21900792.png

Just another day at work for the Janitor.

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-01 15:49:09

At 6/1/24 10:54 AM, GamemasterChan wrote:How to join the event (18+ only)?

I have an illustration of my oc and they have a story but Is novel allowed?

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-01 16:18:39

At 6/1/24 10:54 AM, GamemasterChan wrote:The 3rd Comics and Random Art Battles (/crab/ 3) tournament will decide (once more) the fate of the multiverse. OCs from multiple universes will be kidnapped by me, the Gamemaster @gamemasterchan, put into teams and take part in many extreme challenges to obtain a single Wish, whatever it may be!

Q&A

Third Tournament?

Discord?

What types of duels?

How’s a winner declared?

Who runs everything?

iu_1213833_9478666.png

Somewhere from the undead… Dr. Stitch arise! They’ll make sure they’re gonna win. (Just make sure they didn’t take your organs or limbs)

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-01 16:24:22

At 6/1/24 03:49 PM, Waterina wrote:

Hi! Glad you're interested to join the event.

Entering a novel in the tournament accompanied by art is a-okay! We're a tournament that often welcomes and and encourages experimentalism. Animated films, novels and even DOOM mods and music mixtapes have been entered as part of CRAB's history - thus the "Random Art" part of the name. So give it a try, pal!

At 6/1/24 03:49 PM, Waterina wrote:

You are free to choose the medium, but people are free to choose to skip it.

Bear in mind there will be dozens of participants' comics to read through and a short period of time to vote on duels (little less than a week), so many might not even have the time even if they wanted to.

You said you have illustrations, do you draw? I'd suggest making something visual, because skill level is not the only factor; if your story connects with people, people will vote for it, we saw many upsets in the tourney like that.

A visual novel could be a happy middle ground, if you're careful with the length.

wtf I wasn't credited in the flyer?

I'm a former crab 1 champion, read my fucking entries.

/CRAB1/ Joseph Pryde https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/jLl7eVS/1/1/

/CRAB2/ Abigail Wrath https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/LG1HAKw/1/1/

And now I enter Princess Sanctus Diamond, a muscle butt princess from the land of the Sanctum.iu_1213935_7113879.png

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-01 21:01:28

Hime, this tournament's meathead

iu_1213939_17977304.webp

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-02 04:56:12

Are giant mechs allowed?

At 6/2/24 04:56 AM, OnceHere wrote:Are giant mechs allowed?

One of our current competitors is a giant mech, so I'd imagine it is allowed. You can even see him on the poster (don't mind the small guy on his shoulder). There isn't really much in terms of limits on who or what you are allowed to enter with in the. tournament. Just remember that the entries are the most important part here, as the more entertaining or interesting your entry is, the more likely people will vote for it to win a given round.

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-02 09:34:05

At 6/2/24 06:17 AM, lacklusterbeige wrote:

One of our current competitors is a giant mech, so I'd imagine it is allowed. You can even see him on the poster (don't mind the small guy on his shoulder). There isn't really much in terms of limits on who or what you are allowed to enter with in the. tournament. Just remember that the entries are the most important part here, as the more entertaining or interesting your entry is, the more likely people will vote for it to win a given round.

I see. This seems fun and I'd like to know more. How exactly does this thing work? I know there are rounds and stuff, but how does the process generally go? Do teams make some kind of comic together or is it individual comics with a connected story? How does the GM get involved? How does this voting system work?

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-02 10:27:08

At 6/2/24 09:34 AM, OnceHere wrote:
I see. This seems fun and I'd like to know more. How exactly does this thing work? I know there are rounds and stuff, but how does the process generally go? Do teams make some kind of comic together or is it individual comics with a connected story? How does the GM get involved? How does this voting system work?

>How exactly does thing work?

Simple, you make a comic about your matchup based on the scenario/theme of the round. It is generally up to the artist's liberty as to what exactly they're gonna do with their entry, so long as they produce an entry related to the scenario/theme of the round. However, at the very least your entry should at least tell a story. Whether you write your character winning or losing depends on the story you are trying to tell with the entry, but generally people prefer it if you write your character winning the round, as they will do so themselves and expect others to do the same.

>Do teams make some kind of comic together or is it individual comics with a connected story?

Neither necessarily. The entries themselves are individual, but they do not need to have a connected story between each member of the team, as the rounds will be voted upon individually. However, if your team decided that you all will make a singular entry together, or that the story between each entry in the round has to be connected, then you are also free to do so. It is up to your discretion.

>How does the GM get involved?

The GM is just a background character. You aren't required to put the GM in your entry, but again, it is up to your discretion on what kind of story you are trying to tell with your entry. He generally exists as a plot device that brings together all the characters in the tournament.

>How does this voting system work?

Voting is done by each contestant of the tournament voting for their favourite entry in a given matchup. The voting is individual, you will simply have to state which entry you liked more. This also includes voting for your team's entries, but you are free not to vote their entries if you deem their opponents' entries as better. You can also choose to abstain from voting for a specific entry, but with a few exceptions it is generally frowned upon by some contestants.

The entry with the most votes in a given matchup gets a gold, while the entry that lost gets a silver. The team with the most gold awards at the end would be proclaimed as the winner of the tournament. The prize is bragging rights that you managed to beat your opponents, and each character within the team will be granted 1 (one) wish.

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-02 10:51:07

At 6/2/24 09:34 AM, OnceHere wrote:
At 6/2/24 06:17 AM, lacklusterbeige wrote:

This tournament works in a league system based on points. Contestants will be grouped up in teams of roughly 5-6 members. The goal is to earn the most points of all teams in the tournament to win the prize of one wish. The losing team will not only get destroyed, but their universes will be erased.

There are three rounds in the tournament - the first two rounds are about your contestant and your opponent performing a specific activity. Last two tournaments, those activities were "dance", "cooking", "sports" and leisure". The final third round encompasses a 1-on-1 fight between your contestant and an opponent in the Bucket arena. This has been a stable of the past 2 tournaments. For all rounds, the GM is the one who makes the match-ups.

At the end of each round, every contestant votes for whose submission was the better one for each match. The winners get a "gold" medal, equating 2 points. The loser gets a "silver" medal, equating 1 point. If you did not submit anything, you receive a "bronze" medal, equating 0 points.

Contestants can make their submissions standalone, keep a storyline with their teammates in mind, work together on it with teammates or even work together with their opponent on creating a submission. It can be a comic, animation, game, live-action movie, visual novel or music album. Be noted that contestants may or may not decide to read your submission depending on the length and that - if you collaborate - you will be judged on YOUR contributions to the art and story.

The GM is just a supervising organizer - he's there to ensure the tournament goes well and that the rules get obeyed. He's also the person who gives out the wishes at the end of the tournament.

Hope that clears it out a bit for you and you have an idea of what to expect.

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-02 11:37:37

Here to also introduce this tournament's enthousiastic commentators:

Tenebris and Lurker!

Two deities who shroud themselves in darkness, also totally hate each other!

iu_1214196_5197794.png

iu_1214197_5197794.webp

iu_1214198_5197794.webp

iu_1214199_5197794.webp

iu_1214200_5197794.png

They'll be the voice of the audience and see how this third spectacle will go down as. After all..

After dark is when the fun begins...

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-02 11:51:27

Thanks for the answers! I'll participate with Wanzu's avatar...

iu_1214211_19533977.webp

More:

Wanzu sends an avatar to the tournament. The wish is a mystery...

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-02 12:36:10

Q&A

Third Tournament?

Discord?

What types of duels?

How’s a winner declared?

Who runs everything?

iu_1214235_7555646.webp

Entering Gouda Beemster, after they are done searching her pockets and turn her upside down.

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-02 12:38:07

At 6/2/24 11:51 AM, OnceHere wrote:Thanks for the answers! I'll participate with Wanzu's avatar...

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/oncehere/nightfall

More:
https://www.newgrounds.com/playlist/335245/wanzu

Wanzu sends an avatar to the tournament. The wish is a mystery...

Been getting interested in "centaur"- like designs lately, one done with a feline instead is so cool.

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-02 18:30:00

Good to see veteran crabs answering questions so accurately. Love to see it.

Once you post your character or your entry, enter this gateway server and await for our gatekeepers to grant you pass to the real one:

discord.gg/MTpWYBVznd

CONFIRMED CRAB LIST (so far):

1- The Janitor @justajanny

2- R. Ant

3- Rhea and Monkshood

4 - Bunzel

5- Cheras @slimefire123

6- Reltre

7- Lenard

8- Florida Man @corncobbro

9- Wietse @senorvanderino

10- Luigi

11- Jugglejack @anomalousresearch

12- Desmond of Zdénj and Guido

13- Frankie @sahxyel

14- Sanctus @xperson5467

15- Bobble

16- Morgan @tootsier

17- Evelin @arkanglecomics

18- Mr Overkill

19- Mishka

20- Davok @madmack0

21- Hime @bobbyg309

22- Kome Reidos @ardihel

23- Yuna

24- Ocapon @spartorpedo

25- Soren and Centurion @saintbon

26- Vera

27- Gouda @sitonmyfacepoppy

28- Dr. Stitch @porcucatchaos

29- Kalinka

30- Dizzy

31- Cyrus @kavrak

32- Macy-chan

33- Love

34- Tredecima @lacklusterbeige

26 seats left!

BBS Signature

iu_1214483_21646112.webp

Billy Hobbes has entered! This would be my first CRAB and I'd love to learn more!

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-05 14:44:21

At 6/1/24 11:10 AM, CornCobBro wrote:

Q&A

Third Tournament?

Discord?

What types of duels?

How’s a winner declared?

Who runs everything?

ENTER

THE KEVIN FIGHT

iu_1215788_17826295.pngiu_1215789_17826295.webp

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-05 14:45:11

At 6/5/24 02:44 PM, CornCobBro wrote:

Q&A

Third Tournament?

Discord?

What types of duels?

How’s a winner declared?

Who runs everything?

ENTER

THE KEVIN FIGHT

iu_1215790_17826295.pngiu_1215791_17826295.webp

art by Rocko btw

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-05 14:50:05

At 6/5/24 02:45 PM, CornCobBro wrote:

Q&A

Third Tournament?

Discord?

What types of duels?

How’s a winner declared?

Who runs everything?

ENTER

THE KEVIN FIGHT

art by Rocko btw

iu_1215795_17826295.webpPrologue 1-4

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-05 14:53:20

At 6/5/24 02:50 PM, CornCobBro wrote:
At 6/5/24 02:45 PM, CornCobBro wrote:

Q&A

Third Tournament?

Discord?

What types of duels?

How’s a winner declared?

Who runs everything?

ENTER

THE KEVIN FIGHT

art by Rocko btw

Prologue 1-4

iu_1215796_17826295.webp

Prologue 5-8

Response to Comics and Random Art Battles - 3rd Edition 2024-06-05 15:15:48

Sounds like a great opportunity to draw something new, I'd be down if you'll have me!

Celia Pinewood, Paranormal Investigator. And not the kind that goes somewhere and says "yeah, it's haunted" - more the kind that catches ghosts doing ghost crimes. Also not afraid of ghosts, certainly not.