00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PlanoKnight just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Total ripoff of the NG portal?

38,318 Views | 337 Replies

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 22:56:36

At 6/10/04 10:43 PM, RawJoe wrote: Smosh.com
TXMafia.com
Entertainmail.net
FlashMafia.com
OnionSoftFlash.com
TheCrunge.net

I have never been to any of those sites before this week.

They are all < NG

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 22:57:00

This topic is turning into shit really fast... I don't think they're ripping off. I haven't found any terms taht were reused. The design's somewhat similar but who cares? We all know this is the original so get the fuck over it.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:07:33

At 6/10/04 10:46 PM, liljim wrote:
At 6/10/04 10:44 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: I wrote 100% of the PHP code on my website.
I notice you completely missed my comments about the javascript you just copied and pasted.

I admit to borrowing some of your javascript awhile ago when I used to have popup profiles and logins, but I do not use popup windows any longer. The only javascript that I borrowed that is still in use is the screen centering part for the portal viewing page. I am sure there is a javascript website with it, but I saw it on this site.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:09:12

At 6/10/04 11:07 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: I admit to borrowing some of your javascript

There's a difference between borrow and steal. Did you ask for the use of the code? NO.

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:09:44

At 6/10/04 10:56 PM, TheShrek wrote:
At 6/10/04 10:43 PM, RawJoe wrote: Smosh.com
TXMafia.com
Entertainmail.net
FlashMafia.com
OnionSoftFlash.com
TheCrunge.net
I have never been to any of those sites before this week.

They are all < NG

There is a huge list of other websites that are very similar to Newgrounds. Most of them don't associate newgrounds with their sites though.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:10:45

At 6/10/04 11:09 PM, TheShrek wrote:
At 6/10/04 11:07 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: I admit to borrowing some of your javascript
There's a difference between borrow and steal. Did you ask for the use of the code? NO.

Where did Newgrounds get their javascript? It's not like they invented how to popup windows in the center of the screen.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:13:13

everyone who thinks that the original post is not a "rip-off" is an idiot. Did the owner think up the list of top movies himself, the weekly top5, the WORD PORTAL?

It's obvious that this was almost stolen off Newgrounds. By the way, I don't see any credit towards Newgrounds on the site... am i missing it or does it not exist?

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:13:14

At 6/10/04 11:10 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: Where did Newgrounds get their javascript? It's not like they invented how to popup windows in the center of the screen.

Dude, you're missing the point.

I can't copy the windows source code and sell my own version.

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:16:10

At 6/10/04 11:13 PM, TheShrek wrote:
At 6/10/04 11:10 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: Where did Newgrounds get their javascript? It's not like they invented how to popup windows in the center of the screen.

does NG credit Flash/Javascript/Windows on their website? did they create the original idea? The answer is yes.

It wouldn't be that bad if the owner gave NG credit.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:17:02

At 6/10/04 11:07 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: I admit to borrowing some of your javascript awhile ago when I used to have popup profiles and logins

Try again - you used them until today (I last checked and have some of your pages documented for future reference). In fact, now you've just taken some of the functions and renamed them.

but I do not use popup windows any longer.

That could be the reason for none of the content loading now. Because the functions you were using no longer exist as they did in the first place (when you just copied them). Oh, and the review windows that open - they're not popups? Please.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:18:30

At 6/10/04 11:13 PM, TheShrek wrote:
Dude, you're missing the point.

I can't copy the windows source code and sell my own version.

That's because that is a major corporation with copyrights and everything. They make 100% of their stuff. Javascript comes from a javascript website.

Just to stop all of this chaos and madness I have edited the portion of the javascript I borrowed.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:18:49

It's not like when you're asked to write a story in an English lesson that everyone will write the exact the same story. Same applies to this stuff.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:19:44

At 6/10/04 11:18 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: Just to stop all of this chaos and madness I have edited the portion of the javascript I borrowed.

Yeah, you renamed the function that's defined. That's like... A total change.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:19:57

At 6/10/04 11:17 PM, liljim wrote:
At 6/10/04 11:07 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: I admit to borrowing some of your javascript awhile ago when I used to have popup profiles and logins
Try again - you used them until today (I last checked and have some of your pages documented for future reference). In fact, now you've just taken some of the functions and renamed them.

but I do not use popup windows any longer.
That could be the reason for none of the content loading now. Because the functions you were using no longer exist as they did in the first place (when you just copied them). Oh, and the review windows that open - they're not popups? Please.

Not to mention you undoubtedly worked you ass off to program the portal and anything else copied, whereas the sites that "borrow" the script have to "copy to notepad."

It's a shame.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:41:48

At 6/10/04 11:19 PM, liljim wrote: Yeah, you renamed the function that's defined. That's like... A total change.

I just went to a javascript website to get some alternate code for the javascript I borrowed and it is exactely the same.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:48:44

At 6/10/04 11:41 PM, flipsidedcom wrote:
At 6/10/04 11:19 PM, liljim wrote: Yeah, you renamed the function that's defined. That's like... A total change.
I just went to a javascript website to get some alternate code for the javascript I borrowed and it is exactely the same.

If that's true, then the site you went to most probably "borrowed" Ross' code as well.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-10 23:54:49

Why don't you just write your own damn code? How about that?

You might learn something! o.O

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 00:07:59

I probably will and then liljim will think it is too similar or something. I will respect NG and change the code as much as possible.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 00:43:51

Mr. Tom Fulp is right. Fuck you all. You soul stealing fucks. It is said 20% do 80% of the work. All I am saying is, your lives mean absolutely nothing if you live them as reactions to the lives of others. Newgrounds.com is the 20%.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 00:52:26

You know what would prevent these things from happening? Locking the source or encrypting it (If that's possible).

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 00:56:07

That is impossible. PHP code cannot be shown anyways, only javascript and html, and those files get cached on computers, so there is no way around it.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 01:19:46

At 6/9/04 05:56 PM, smoshdotcom wrote:
At 6/9/04 04:52 PM, Orodreth wrote: All of the sites listed by that retard are blatant rip offs of newgrounds. Script is even obviosly stolen. Isnt this a breach of copyrights?
There is no way to steal a script unless you have access to the server and can get the php files themselves. I made my flash system myself and have also given newgrounds credit at the bottom of my flash "gateway" for the idea. Thanks.

Fucking retard... view> Source... jezus christ you fricken tard. That was so hard to get the script...

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 01:29:54

At 6/10/04 07:42 PM, -azrag- wrote: he is not stealing you moron. How come people arnt sued for making sprite movies. oh and tom made the parody of teletubbies. tom would become one of those assholes that sue for little things.

Assrag, stop being a fanboy for a second and use your brain.

1) NG isn't a huge corporation like Nintendo.
2) Nintendo LOSES NO MONEY when someone does a sprite movie. In fact, if anything the added publicity may revive nostalgia--> more popularity for Nintendo products.
3) NG, on the other hand, LOSES traffic to these sites. When they get bigger and more numerous, NG can expect to see a significant cut in the amount of users who showcase and view flash.

Also, all of you who talk about the Fulps becoming evil and suing everyone, READ TOM'S POST.

I have never been a fan of copycat sites, but I've always accepted them as the reality of the world we live in. People see something they like, so they want to have their own version of it. That is just how people work. However, I was very disappointed by the above thread when I saw how many kids think a Flash Portal is just a Flash Portal. For years, NG was THE Flash Portal. Now it appears NG is "just another Flash Portal". That sort of thing really pisses me off, so I just had to say it.

Jebus. Tom's tolerance is more than admirable; I don't think your bullshit is necessary.

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 01:37:28

The original site in question looks just like newgrounds. It is a blatant rip-off in my view- perhaps a portal with a different color scheme. I totally agree with Tom's Post on the front page.

At least it gave NG credit though

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 01:37:53

We are talking about how to hide the code, not view it. Also I am not a "fricken tard".

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 01:43:07

At 6/11/04 01:37 AM, Snozzwang wrote: The original site in question looks just like newgrounds. It is a blatant rip-off in my view- perhaps a portal with a different color scheme. I totally agree with Tom's Post on the front page.

It only gave credit to NG after Tom went ballistic. I still have no respect.

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 01:49:06

At 6/11/04 01:43 AM, Hinotori wrote:
At 6/11/04 01:37 AM, Snozzwang wrote: The original site in question looks just like newgrounds. It is a blatant rip-off in my view- perhaps a portal with a different color scheme. I totally agree with Tom's Post on the front page.

It only gave credit to NG after Tom went ballistic. I still have no respect.

That's because I noticed it made such a big deal. He even made a front-page news post about it. So to show my respect for the site I added the link.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 01:52:29

At 6/11/04 01:49 AM, flipsidedcom wrote: So to show my respect for the site I added the link.

If you wanted to show your respect, you would have taken it down and not ripped off the whole thing.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 01:56:32

Alright here is the story:

I love newgrounds and I was inspired by the portal, I wanted to create my own. Sort of like how a tribute works, but differently. If you guys think I am competition either now or in the future, I am sorry. I am not trying to bash or compete.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-11 02:35:39

At 6/10/04 11:48 PM, liljim wrote: If that's true, then the site you went to most probably "borrowed" Ross' code as well.

Is it possible that Ross used open source JS for some of his scripts? I ask this because I just checked some of the code I got off an opensource site, and it's very similar to NG's.

Obviously, Ross wrote much of it ages ago, but I doubt they update those sites very often.

Either way, I'm not going to change my code. I got it from an opensource site, and as far as I can tell, it's open source. Beside's changing a piece of code I've been using for something like 3 years now (I used the same stuff on another site) would be incredibly stupid.