00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dewoco just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio?

2,387 Views | 80 Replies

At 2/23/23 10:05 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 2/23/23 09:04 PM, Dolorious wrote: 2018 was 2 years before I actually gave much a shit about politics. I only started to really pay attention once 2020 hit. Before then I was focused on making animations and 3d modeling before my old pc shit itself. (Thankfully I have a different pc now, but it's pretty outdated compared to most other desktops.)
I think people are just basing their opinion on you from your many conspiracies in the political section...

Imagine not being interested in politics all while the party in charge is fucking up the country, and then deciding to side with them when they want to go for a round 2. This must be the mental equivalent of Stockholm syndrome, except they've kidnapped themselves and holding themselves hostage, but pretending someone else did it.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-24 13:37:16

I'm honestly just fed up with this lineup of politicians in general; there's like what... THREE good ones?

Listen to my latest video game music release! Windup & Pitch! If you wish! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-24 20:21:07

At 2/22/23 05:24 AM, Dolorious wrote: The news literally tried distracting everybody with stupid ufo bullshit early on in the Ohio train derailment.

They probably just needed some time to get their talking points in order haha.

But seriously though, I've seen this "waaah it's Trump's fault! he is somehow responsible!" stuff repeated a few times, and it needs to be pointed out: Nope.

Long story short, there was a Regulatory Impact Analysis that found the cost of ECP brakes would outweigh the expected benefits. So, according to the FAST (Fixing America's Surface Transportation) Act that was passed in 2015, the Department Of Transport were required by the bill itself to repeal the requirement.

And even then, it says there; "This regulatory change does not affect the ability of a railroad to implement ECP brakes."

Something else to take note of is that ECP brakes were designed entirely around preventing collisions and would have done pretty much next to nothing to prevent an on-rail derailment of the train in question.

And it didn't apply to the train that was derailed in East Palestine.

iu_905918_2080200.png

(source)

Of course, the mainstream media pushers never actually mention these bits - they'd rather just keep the 2 minutes of hate LARP going forever because that draws in the clicks. Same way they pretended this wasn't happening early on and focused on "ufos", and concern about contamination from the spillage and burn was disregarded as "hippies being overly dramatic" until they couldn't gloss over how bad this was anymore.

Don't let them get to ya.

At 2/22/23 05:24 AM, Dolorious wrote: >The train was on fire 20 miles before complete derailment
>While going around 100 miles an hour

Got sources for these? Because damn, that is a nightmare scenario.

I personally think the derailment was intentional.

Whether it was intentional or not, it should be investigated transparently to reveal the truth - none of that "We investigated ourselves and found that we did nothing wrong" -t. FTX bullshit.

At 2/20/23 07:40 AM, UncleLad wrote: It gives me shitty vibes of incompetence.

Whose <sarcasm>bright</sarcasm> idea was it to do a "controlled burn" on chemicals like that anyway? That's what I'd like to know.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-24 20:34:07

At 2/22/23 07:23 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: My opinion: Why the fuck do you name a town East Palestine?

Palestine, OH is by the IN border, and East Palestine, OH is by the PA border. Yes, it's confusing.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-24 20:45:36

I've been following this rather closely since I live within 50 miles of the blast zone. The air quality readings here were all out of whack for a week, so I can tell you, things are NOT entirely fine. There are some legitimate concerns about the government's (delayed/lack of) response, and some pretty heavy skepticism about being told everything is fine when you consider stuff like the town of Flint, MI being told their water was being safe to drink. The problem is they're all being drowned out by the crazies, such as the person going around insisting this was a targeted attack on the Amish (no, really).

We don't have to worry about water quality in my area since the Ohio River floats south, so we're not going to get any contaminants. Air, however, is another story, because the prevailing winds are south/southeast. I have been having a ton of headaches, sinus pressure, and migraines since around that time. That was one reason I was looking forward to my business trip to Baltimore, because I wanted to see if being in a different air zone would make a difference. It was night and day. Zero issues. One day back home, and I'm back to square one. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe it's unrelated, but the timing is awfully suspicious. (That being said, if anyone can think of anything that might be causing it, or how I can address it, please speak up.)

I hope they expand the health checks further out like I hear some state officials suggesting, because I'm beginning to wonder if I need one.

Here's the situation from the other side of the state line.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-24 20:54:51

At 2/22/23 05:24 AM, Dolorious wrote: >The train was on fire 20 miles before complete derailment

Half true. While part of the train was already on fire five miles before derailment, it was only going 47 mph (speed limit for trains is 50). Based on the NTSB report, the crew got the alert far too late to be able to do anything about it, which suggests multiple layers of mechanical/electrical failure.

Also, the screenshot posted makes an interesting point: the train was not classified as a high hazard train for whatever reason, which would have a) required notification of local/OH state governments the train was crossing through their regions and b) would have required additional safety precautions.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-24 21:43:11

At 2/24/23 09:43 PM, LittleWashu wrote: In other news while the leader of the US is once again putting Americans last President Trump on Wenesday goes to East Palestine to deliver some well needed help for the people.

Yet despite all this none of the News stations not even the Conservative ones covered this.

Probably because Trump was obviously using it to help his sagging 2024 campaign. All he did was embarrass himself. His speech he gave was only 10 minutes long, and in front of a small, selected, crowd. And it veered into jets and attacking his opponents. It's true that he gave away bottle water there, but it was Trump branded water. Then, I guess, he went to McDonalds and gave away signed MAGA hats....

This isn't something you really want to brag about. And it was all over the news. And please stop using The Gateway Pundit - it's for people who don't think, but love the hyper partisan spin that always supports their views.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 03:47:53

At 2/24/23 08:54 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
Half true. While part of the train was already on fire five miles before derailment, it was only going 47 mph (speed limit for trains is 50). Based on the NTSB report, the crew got the alert far too late to be able to do anything about it, which suggests multiple layers of mechanical/electrical failure.

Also, the screenshot posted makes an interesting point: the train was not classified as a high hazard train for whatever reason, which would have a) required notification of local/OH state governments the train was crossing through their regions and b) would have required additional safety precautions.

It was passing through new waterford and arrived around 13 minutes. I'll double check the map and math though just to be sure. 5 miles away and arriving at around 13 minutes would mean the train would be going only around 23 miles per hour if this calculator is accurate. Which would be around half the speed of what the news article linked. But that's assuming the calculator is accurate or close to accurate of course... But one thing for sure is that shit was on fire while passing through that point.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 05:59:38

At 2/24/23 08:34 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
At 2/22/23 07:23 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: My opinion: Why the fuck do you name a town East Palestine?
Palestine, OH is by the IN border, and East Palestine, OH is by the PA border. Yes, it's confusing.

The Palestine I know is next to Israel.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 09:08:24

Its awful.

We will send 1 billion in aid to Ukraine to help Ohio

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 10:02:13

At 2/25/23 09:08 AM, Tyler wrote: Its awful.

We will send 1 billion in aid to Ukraine to help Ohio

Sadly that is where our money is going like Ukraine is the 51 state within the United States. However, if this was truly the case at least our leaders for once would be putting America first.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 13:23:26

Here comes the lawyers after an opportunity to make money.

In Town Where Train Derailed, Lawyers Are Signing Up Clients in Droves

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 13:42:49

@LittleWashu

Also, besides cutting regulations on train breaks that could have led to this tragedy in Ohio, Trump also fought like hell against the Roundup lawsuit, which was causing brain cancer in young kids, and argued that just removing the warning label would fix the problem.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 14:01:37

At 2/25/23 01:42 PM, EdyKel wrote: @LittleWashu

Also, besides cutting regulations on train breaks that could have led to this tragedy in Ohio, Trump also fought like hell against the Roundup lawsuit, which was causing brain cancer in young kids, and argued that just removing the warning label would fix the problem.

And how long as the party of big government regulations been in charge of executive branch of government? Answer since Joe Biden has been in office. If this was truly a problem then why didn't they wait for it... PUT THOSE REGULATIONS BACK IN?! It has been over 2 years since the big government party has taken the white house, so there is no excuse for them not to do their job if those regulations were so important.

Donald Trump no longer has the power of the federal government so just like how liberals have said time and time again to stop blaming Obama for things that happened after he was in office when Trump was in charge, kindly stop trying to blame Trump when he isn't in power.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 14:21:18

At 2/25/23 02:01 PM, LittleWashu wrote:

And how long as the party of big government regulations been in charge of executive branch of government? Answer since Joe Biden has been in office. If this was truly a problem then why didn't they wait for it... PUT THOSE REGULATIONS BACK IN?! It has been over 2 years since the big government party has taken the white house, so there is no excuse for them not to do their job if those regulations were so important.

Donald Trump no longer has the power of the federal government so just like how liberals have said time and time again to stop blaming Obama for things that happened after he was in office when Trump was in charge, kindly stop trying to blame Trump when he isn't in power.

You are supporting, defending, and promoting, such people who deregulate such things that lead to these types of incidents, and then blame everyone else but those who actually created the conditions for those things with their small govermnet ideology - while virtual signaling about their morality and innocence.

What is wrong with you? Why do you treat politics like a political fooball game, treating political parties like teams where you faithfully cheer one on? You vote for parties on their platform and policies, not root for them against the other team because you hate them.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 15:38:11

At 2/25/23 02:21 PM, EdyKel wrote:

You are supporting, defending, and promoting, such people who deregulate such things that lead to these types of incidents, and then blame everyone else but those who actually created the conditions for those things with their small govermnet ideology - while virtual signaling about their morality and innocence.

Once again you are trying to remove the blame off of your preferred political party while putting it all on the party you think is toxic. Even Joe Biden himself said "the buck stops with him" and last I checked his is the man who is in the oval office and the person he chose to be the transportation Sec was in charge to keep things like this from happening. Donald Trump as I said before no longer has control of the levers of power and he hasn't been in charge for over 2+ years. The right thing to do for the people in charge if they felt this was truly an issue would have been to put back in those regulations like they have been doing with other things for the past 2+ years because god knows Joe Biden and his party was putting in a lot of regulations on many things.

But on a side note in case you missed it, I did put blame on the GOP for this as well. Or did you forget when I said this was a failure on both parties. AKA the train wreak being on the Democrats due to what I mentioned in the above paragraph, and the GOP for doing the "Controlled Burn" which in reality wasn't truly a controlled burn seeing as if it was they would have done it in place where the chemicals couldn't get into the ecosystem to poison the people of that town.

TL:DR I didn't put pure blame on the democrats unlike yourself who is trying to remove all wrong doing from your preferred political party.

What is wrong with you? Why do you treat politics like a political fooball game, treating political parties like teams where you faithfully cheer one on? You vote for parties on their platform and policies, not root for them against the other team because you hate them.

Last I checked I am perfectly sane thank you.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 16:57:40

At 2/25/23 03:38 PM, LittleWashu wrote:

Once again you are trying to remove the blame off of your preferred political party while putting it all on the party you think is toxic. Even Joe Biden himself said "the buck stops with him" and last I checked his is the man who is in the oval office and the person he chose to be the transportation Sec was in charge to keep things like this from happening. Donald Trump as I said before no longer has control of the levers of power and he hasn't been in charge for over 2+ years. The right thing to do for the people in charge if they felt this was truly an issue would have been to put back in those regulations like they have been doing with other things for the past 2+ years because god knows Joe Biden and his party was putting in a lot of regulations on many things.

But on a side note in case you missed it, I did put blame on the GOP for this as well. Or did you forget when I said this was a failure on both parties. AKA the train wreak being on the Democrats due to what I mentioned in the above paragraph, and the GOP for doing the "Controlled Burn" which in reality wasn't truly a controlled burn seeing as if it was they would have done it in place where the chemicals couldn't get into the ecosystem to poison the people of that town.

Deflection nonsense.

TL:DR I didn't put pure blame on the democrats unlike yourself who is trying to remove all wrong doing from your preferred political party.

All I did was point to the policies of Trump that were the foundation of this incident, and those who support them, in response to your post about Trump not getting enough credit for his visit to that region by the media. It's like watching Trump bitch slapping the victims, while trying to claim it was his political opponent's fault - with you dressed in MAGA gear going "GO TRUMP. YEAH!!!!"

You can't even point out the actual reasons why Biden, or DeWine, were at fault for it, without excusing the underlying causes of it that were supported by people like Trump when they were, or still in, power. All you want is the Republican party taken over by more rabid, hyper partisan, far right, Trumpists, because that is who you mindlessly root for.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-25 21:37:00

At 2/24/23 10:29 PM, EdyKel wrote: Probably because Trump was obviously using it to help his sagging 2024 campaign. All he did was embarrass himself. His speech he gave was only 10 minutes long, and in front of a small, selected, crowd. And it veered into jets and attacking his opponents. It's true that he gave away bottle water there, but it was Trump branded water. Then, I guess, he went to McDonalds and gave away signed MAGA hats....

I figured it was probably some off-brand or whatever, but it's still more than what the residents have been seeing. Something is more than nothing when it comes to appearances.

Which begs the question: Why did it take Trump and Erin Brockovitch taking trips there for Pete Buttigieg to make a trip there, when the residents had previously demanded he show up? Hell, he could have even taken the 30 seconds to send a couple of tweets right after. I realize Biden sent the EPA there immediately, but people don't make the mental connection between the person and the agency and figure they just decided to go there themselves. This allowed Trump and the GOP to clamp onto the issue. Massive own goal by Buttigieg and the Biden administration.

On that note, I don't really blame Biden for the response to the derailment, but I do blame Buttiegieg for being slow to act. Not to mention, he was MIA when the railroad unions threatened to strike, which forced Biden to get involved.

At 2/25/23 09:37 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
At 2/24/23 10:29 PM, EdyKel wrote: Probably because Trump was obviously using it to help his sagging 2024 campaign. All he did was embarrass himself. His speech he gave was only 10 minutes long, and in front of a small, selected, crowd. And it veered into jets and attacking his opponents. It's true that he gave away bottle water there, but it was Trump branded water. Then, I guess, he went to McDonalds and gave away signed MAGA hats....
I figured it was probably some off-brand or whatever, but it's still more than what the residents have been seeing. Something is more than nothing when it comes to appearances.

Which begs the question: Why did it take Trump and Erin Brockovitch taking trips there for Pete Buttigieg to make a trip there, when the residents had previously demanded he show up? Hell, he could have even taken the 30 seconds to send a couple of tweets right after. I realize Biden sent the EPA there immediately, but people don't make the mental connection between the person and the agency and figure they just decided to go there themselves. This allowed Trump and the GOP to clamp onto the issue. Massive own goal by Buttigieg and the Biden administration.

On that note, I don't really blame Biden for the response to the derailment, but I do blame Buttiegieg for being slow to act. Not to mention, he was MIA when the railroad unions threatened to strike, which forced Biden to get involved.

I know this may sound callous, but it wasn't that big in comparison to other high profile disasters in the last decade or two - and disasters or chemical spills that don't get much, if any, media coverage, like the recent Keystone Pipeline leak.

We are talking about 5 tankers filled with hazardous chemicals here. Some of them were intentionally opened up with controlled explosions to release the chemicals into a dug pit to burn them, since the pressure relief valves malfunctioned on them. Otherwise, the tanks could have exploded on their own due to immense pressure caused by those chemical from outside temperatures, which would have become even more of an ecological problem.

While the smoke from these burned chemicals are still a cause of concern to human, and surrounding ecological life, especially on day one, much of it is already gone, diluted by the wind in multiple direction. It's being compared, if I understand it correctly, to slightly higher pollution levels that people are already being exposed to - according to various experts (non-government).

The only reason this has gotten so much attention, as if it was a Chernobyl level disaster, is because Conservatives are treating it as such, over a highly conservative town, in an important swing state. And that caught many officials off by surprise. For god's sake, they are already claiming that the Biden administration is treating Ukraine better with a visit and more aid than his own country with this. That's how absurd, and heavily politicized, it has become, creating a lot more fear. And many posters are echoing it.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-26 01:01:37

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-26 03:41:07

At 2/25/23 04:57 PM, EdyKel wrote:

Deflection nonsense.

Wrong again. You once again are like just about every leftist I have seen are trying to remove responsibility from the democrats while pinning it on Trump even when the man isn't in power just because he changed the rules while he was in power. I might have given it to you had this happened shortly after Biden got into office seeing as they wouldn't have had the time to change the laws back, but as I pointed out they had 2+ years to change the regulations as they seen fit but they left them alone.

The TDS is still strong with you my friend.

All I did was point to the policies of Trump that were the foundation of this incident, and those who support them, in response to your post about Trump not getting enough credit for his visit to that region by the media. It's like watching Trump bitch slapping the victims, while trying to claim it was his political opponent's fault - with you dressed in MAGA gear going "GO TRUMP. YEAH!!!!"

Yet once again you ignore that TRUMP ISN'T THE ONE IN POWER ANYMORE! if his policies were the problem THEN WHY DIDN'T THE NEW PEOPLE IN CHARGE CHANGE THEM! It was their responsibility to do so yet they left his policies intact for 2+ years after he was out of power. This happened on their watch not his.

You can't even point out the actual reasons why Biden, or DeWine, were at fault for it, without excusing the underlying causes of it that were supported by people like Trump when they were, or still in, power. All you want is the Republican party taken over by more rabid, hyper partisan, far right, Trumpists, because that is who you mindlessly root for.

I already explained it several times why they were at fault but like every time I mention Trump you ignore everything else and focus on him. But I will once again explain it again.

Biden is the current person in charge and Pete was the current Transportation sec which means that if they see issues with policy that can be a problem it is their job to change them. As I mentioned before I would have conceded to your points had this happened when they first started meaning they wouldn't have had the time to change the policies, however they have been on the job for over 2+ years so sorry there is no excuse especially when as I mentioned they were adding tons of new regulations on many other things in less time so it is quite obvious that they either (A) thought the regulations for this weren't needed or (B) they just didn't care.

As for the Ohio GOP or rather the governor of Ohio answer me this who gave the order for said burn? Answer the Governor who is a member of the GOP. It was his decision to do this that caused the eco disaster that happened which is why I just like I put blame onto the democrats for this happening on their watch, I also placed blame on the GOP for doing said burn which destroyed the eco system of that poor town.

In other words it was a bipartisan failure.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-26 04:56:46

I think a lot of you are falling into the trap of

-becoming armchair forensic engineers, and

-trying to pin the blame on politicians.

Train derailments can take a couple of years to understand what happened; you’re not going to find answers from Twitter accounts or soapboxing politicians.

The other thing I find pretty sad is the continuing parallels being made between this crash and the Ukraine crisis and Turkey. Blatantly the latter two are more severe. While I get there’s an “America First!” attitude weighing in, the disparity here is those situations actually have casualties, whereas in this situation it’s not accepting the EPA’s conclusions.

Lastly, I’ve found the mask has come off for people crying for Ukrainian casualties in the other thread, yet grumbling that money is going abroad for humanitarian reasons.

BBS Signature

At 2/26/23 03:41 AM, LittleWashu wrote:
At 2/25/23 04:57 PM, EdyKel wrote:

Deflection nonsense.
Wrong again. You once again are like just about every leftist I have seen are trying to remove responsibility from the democrats while pinning it on Trump even when the man isn't in power just because he changed the rules while he was in power. I might have given it to you had this happened shortly after Biden got into office seeing as they wouldn't have had the time to change the laws back, but as I pointed out they had 2+ years to change the regulations as they seen fit but they left them alone.

The TDS is still strong with you my friend.

Yet once again you ignore that TRUMP ISN'T THE ONE IN POWER ANYMORE! if his policies were the problem THEN WHY DIDN'T THE NEW PEOPLE IN CHARGE CHANGE THEM! It was their responsibility to do so yet they left his policies intact for 2+ years after he was out of power. This happened on their watch not his.

I already explained it several times why they were at fault but like every time I mention Trump you ignore everything else and focus on him. But I will once again explain it again.

Biden is the current person in charge and Pete was the current Transportation sec which means that if they see issues with policy that can be a problem it is their job to change them. As I mentioned before I would have conceded to your points had this happened when they first started meaning they wouldn't have had the time to change the policies, however they have been on the job for over 2+ years so sorry there is no excuse especially when as I mentioned they were adding tons of new regulations on many other things in less time so it is quite obvious that they either (A) thought the regulations for this weren't needed or (B) they just didn't care.

As for the Ohio GOP or rather the governor of Ohio answer me this who gave the order for said burn? Answer the Governor who is a member of the GOP. It was his decision to do this that caused the eco disaster that happened which is why I just like I put blame onto the democrats for this happening on their watch, I also placed blame on the GOP for doing said burn which destroyed the eco system of that poor town.

In other words it was a bipartisan failure.

So, again, more nonsense, without any specifics on why it's their fault, because you suffer from TDDS (Trump Denial Derangement syndrome). Just say that and I will completely understand that you don't know what you are talking about, as you defend Trump, and politicians like him, like a political sports fan, when they cut regulations that can lead to such disasters.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-26 21:12:25

At 2/26/23 12:36 AM, EdyKel wrote: The only reason this has gotten so much attention, as if it was a Chernobyl level disaster, is because Conservatives are treating it as such, over a highly conservative town, in an important swing state. And that caught many officials off by surprise. For god's sake, they are already claiming that the Biden administration is treating Ukraine better with a visit and more aid than his own country with this. That's how absurd, and heavily politicized, it has become, creating a lot more fear. And many posters are echoing it.

The problem is, when there's a lack of easily accessible information, misinformation and whackadoodle conspiracy theories fill the void. I've been reading what I can, but much of it is online. I lived in central Ohio for a year, and I was in a fairly rural area where many people didn't have internet access out of the library (which I imagine isn't open there right now, if they have one). I wonder how many people in East Palestine have no internet access. It's a small community, so I'm going to guess a lot. Never underestimate the damage a town gossip mill can do.

As for the air quality issue, I've been wondering if there were any parallels with the PEPCON explosion in Henderson, NV in the '80s. The chemicals there were different, but it was in a heavily populated area.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-26 21:14:59

At 2/25/23 01:23 PM, EdyKel wrote: Here comes the lawyers after an opportunity to make money.

In Town Where Train Derailed, Lawyers Are Signing Up Clients in Droves

I'm wondering how many of these we're going to be seeing several years down the line, like with the 9/11 responders.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-26 21:25:50

We're at least 3 administrations deep into all the factors that led up to this, starting with safety deregulation in an effort to cut down shipping times, and ending most recently with the Biden admin's busting of the railworkers' strike for sick leave and survivable shift schedules. Tell a sickly, overworked crew to rush a shipment on risk of immediate termination, they might make a mistake in the car order, making the train too back-heavy. They might not have time to do it any other way, or to warn the outgoing crew of it, if they even know about it themselves. That crew might cut it as close to those lax new braking protocols as they can to shave a few minutes off the clock. They might be reprimanded if they don't, even though there were signs of a mechanical failure reported an hour before the derailment. But so what? The shipment didn't meet the minimum requirements to be classified as a "high-hazard flammable” train, so why worry?

Of course this was the result. Add some business-minded local officials to the mix and sure enough, restoring rail operations takes priority over figuring out if there was a way to not spew enough hydrogen chloride into the mesosphere to potentially poison half a continent for god knows how long.

At 2/26/23 09:12 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
At 2/26/23 12:36 AM, EdyKel wrote: The only reason this has gotten so much attention, as if it was a Chernobyl level disaster, is because Conservatives are treating it as such, over a highly conservative town, in an important swing state. And that caught many officials off by surprise. For god's sake, they are already claiming that the Biden administration is treating Ukraine better with a visit and more aid than his own country with this. That's how absurd, and heavily politicized, it has become, creating a lot more fear. And many posters are echoing it.
The problem is, when there's a lack of easily accessible information, misinformation and whackadoodle conspiracy theories fill the void. I've been reading what I can, but much of it is online. I lived in central Ohio for a year, and I was in a fairly rural area where many people didn't have internet access out of the library (which I imagine isn't open there right now, if they have one). I wonder how many people in East Palestine have no internet access. It's a small community, so I'm going to guess a lot. Never underestimate the damage a town gossip mill can do.

As for the air quality issue, I've been wondering if there were any parallels with the PEPCON explosion in Henderson, NV in the '80s. The chemicals there were different, but it was in a heavily populated area.

Well, Nevada was also where the US did over 1000 nuclear tests (900 were underground) from the 50's to early 90's. Not sure how people felt back then about all the atmospheric radiation from those tests. This is not even getting into mining operations that foul up groundwater that have been going on for ages.

There has always been some level of lack of information in the US over testing weapons, man made disasters, chemical dumping, or drifting, ect, in the US, and the affects they may have on human health and the environment - intentionally or not. These days, there is more awareness over such incidents, thanks in part to the internet and 24/7 news. But there also seems to be a lot of uncertainty by the experts over how bad they really are, which frustrates the public who want more concrete answers than theories. And some of this leads to misinformation, and conspiracies - based on a lot of self ignorance over these things.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-26 23:17:16

At 2/26/23 09:25 PM, Skoops wrote: We're at least 3 administrations deep into all the factors that led up to this, starting with safety deregulation in an effort to cut down shipping times, and ending most recently with the Biden admin's busting of the railworkers' strike for sick leave and survivable shift schedules. Tell a sickly, overworked crew to rush a shipment on risk of immediate termination, they might make a mistake in the car order, making the train too back-heavy. They might not have time to do it any other way, or to warn the outgoing crew of it, if they even know about it themselves. That crew might cut it as close to those lax new braking protocols as they can to shave a few minutes off the clock. They might be reprimanded if they don't, even though there were signs of a mechanical failure reported an hour before the derailment. But so what? The shipment didn't meet the minimum requirements to be classified as a "high-hazard flammable” train, so why worry?

Of course this was the result. Add some business-minded local officials to the mix and sure enough, restoring rail operations takes priority over figuring out if there was a way to not spew enough hydrogen chloride into the mesosphere to potentially poison half a continent for god knows how long.

It was also due to freight train companies, like Norfolk Southern, furloughing workers to thinly during the pandemic to save costs.

But stakeholders have contended that the furloughs that occurred during the start of the COVID-19 pandemic cut the workforce too thin, especially since that workforce didn’t return to the railroads at predicted levels.

Furthermore, some observers contend that the workforce reductions due to pandemic-related furloughing may have exacerbated service issues that arose due in part to headcount cuts brought on by precision scheduled railroading, a method that the Class I railroads deployed to streamline operations.

“We were all unprepared in the last two years with the sudden drawdown in demand and then sudden resurgence in freight. At the same time, labor force participation rates continued to decline, and when time came to rebuild our ranks and recall furloughed employees, we couldn’t get enough people. And frankly, two years later right now, we still have about 25% of our crew locations that are understaffed,” NS President and CEO Alan Shaw told investors during his company’s investor day Tuesday.

At 2/25/23 03:38 PM, LittleWashu wrote: Last I checked I am perfectly sane thank you.

Mentally incompetent people cannot self-certify their mental competence. Nor can mentally competent people. Only a third party can adequately do so.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature