00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AMYHALFDEAD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio?

2,385 Views | 80 Replies

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-27 02:32:37

At 2/20/23 07:40 AM, UncleLad wrote: So apparently a bunch of chemicals spilled from a train. The EPA says everything's fine.
The White House turned down East Palestine’s FEMA request, implying the disaster wasn’t quite big enough. But Biden administration also says “What East Palestine needs is much more expansive than what FEMA can provide.”

FEMA, the agency that can 'run' the US in a pinch, cannot provide?

It gives me shitty vibes of incompetence.

Same. First accounts say OH state DEP were the reactionary arsonists. But all accounts imply that the incident was almost anticipated. Certainly the video footage 20 miles before the derailment, attest to some wherewithal... or am I being too adult in my expectations of nation-state accountability?

Conspiracy to kill/subvert off 'red state' dwelling peoples as well as the Amish? Dunno. Still haven't accounted for the events aboard the Clearwater Horizon, but, follow the money?

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-27 05:34:51

At 2/20/23 07:40 AM, UncleLad wrote: So apparently a bunch of chemicals spilled from a train. The EPA says everything's fine.
The White House turned down East Palestine’s FEMA request, implying the disaster wasn’t quite big enough. But Biden administration also says “What East Palestine needs is much more expansive than what FEMA can provide.”

This is what happens when you don't hold companies accountable and to a standard. Railroad companies in the US have been scaling back safety measures and lobbying against regulations for years. Which is why we have old ass trains with dozens of carts attached to them with only a handful of crew members managing them. They say it makes them more "efficient" but in reality, all it does is make them massive safety hazards.

JR13

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-02-28 10:22:23

bro never go to ohio dawg i seen some shit there

fart

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-01 11:42:55

it’s so nice that I’ve moved to an area where the water supply is being tainted with this bullshit.

first the water department says they have no concerns and the filtration the city uses is good enough, then we are told we are going on water reserves… yeah thought the filtration was good enough guys.

as for the conspiracy theorists in the thread… seriously? It’s corporate fucking greed that’s it.

i sure love living in Cincinnati…

Formerly Travis… yeah that one (I’m bored)

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-01 19:33:16

It looks like PA also opened a health center in Darlington, which is west of Ellwood City and fairly close to the state line. There's also some air and water testing in Beaver County, but a couple of professors at Carnegie Mellon and Pitt think they might not be sufficient because they don't test for dioxins.

There was an interview with one of the EPA testers on the news last night and they said the concerns are valid, but there's no baseline for dioxins so they can't really do any testing there.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-01 21:59:59

At 3/1/23 07:33 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: It looks like PA also opened a health center in Darlington, which is west of Ellwood City and fairly close to the state line. There's also some air and water testing in Beaver County, but a couple of professors at Carnegie Mellon and Pitt think they might not be sufficient because they don't test for dioxins.

There was an interview with one of the EPA testers on the news last night and they said the concerns are valid, but there's no baseline for dioxins so they can't really do any testing there.

Shits a god damn joke. Norfolk’s entire executive leadership team should be tried in a court and their entire EHS department should follow them into court.

Biden’s dumbass should have EPA teams or whoever would mitigate this shit on the ground and coming up with solutions.

I heard a story where dewine allegedly drank water from the tap in east Palestine… absolute joke

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-08 07:23:47

At 2/26/23 04:56 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I think a lot of you are falling into the trap of
-becoming armchair forensic engineers, and
-trying to pin the blame on politicians.

Train derailments can take a couple of years to understand what happened; you’re not going to find answers from Twitter accounts or soapboxing politicians.

The other thing I find pretty sad is the continuing parallels being made between this crash and the Ukraine crisis and Turkey. Blatantly the latter two are more severe. While I get there’s an “America First!” attitude weighing in, the disparity here is those situations actually have casualties, whereas in this situation it’s not accepting the EPA’s conclusions.

Lastly, I’ve found the mask has come off for people crying for Ukrainian casualties in the other thread, yet grumbling that money is going abroad for humanitarian reasons.

weird that nobody responds to this… probably because it’s a measured response instead of the same stupid talking points made by the usual suspects here.

I said further down the thread that I think it’s a result of greed. Train derailments are actually pretty common, it literally just happened again a few days ago luckily with no chemical spills.

but, it was another norfolk southern train so once again, my points about their corporate team needing to be tried stands.

to your other point, Ukraine and Turkey may be worse, but to borrow a bit of Bernie sanders verbiage, we’re the richest country in the world and now an entire community may potentially be uninhabitable.

I get what you’re saying about the conspiracy theories because they’re stupid and the brainless in here want to keep making it a political issue. These arguments fall flat when we see we average a fuck ton of these a year. If it’s political then everyone is to blame not one guy or the next. At the end of the day, the company is the one who pulled bullshit. Regulations don’t necessarily stop bad actors as we’ve seen with companies like Volkswagen and their emissions testing.

but another point… there’s historical precedent for the government experimenting on people and lying so while I still think this is a result of greed, this is likely worse than we are being told.

i live in Cincinnati. Officials said they had no concerns because our water filtration system would get any toxins out. Then less than a week later they said we were going on water reserves. The entire city of Cincinnati… makes no sense that we’d even have that kind of capacity and the walk back also raises eyebrows.

yeah, saying this is some false flag is stupid, but being highly concerned about the general health and well being of citizens when there’s evidence saying we should be concerned is logical

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-08 10:15:03

the cops burned tons of toxic chemicals in an open ditch with the go ahead of a company official before any enviromental agency showed up and now the EPA's stuck covering for them because the feds cracking down on local cops is just bad PR, democrats are bitch motherfuckers all the down to their bones.

five years from now studies are going to tell us all sorts of horrible things, but the people five years from now will just shrug and say we shoulda done something now. but people now are too busy crying they have to deal with "woke government" to pull their head from their ass and actually focus on real problems instead of crachhead talk show nonsense.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-08 10:40:18

At 3/8/23 10:15 AM, Jakal3rdwave wrote: five years from now studies are going to tell us all sorts of horrible things, but the people five years from now will just shrug and say we shoulda done something now. but people now are too busy crying they have to deal with "woke government" to pull their head from their ass and actually focus on real problems instead of crachhead talk show nonsense.

Only someone clairvoyant can determine the long-term effects. But with any kind of chemical, radioactive material, and otherwise hazardous, it naturally dissipates after a while. And the rate of dissipation is correlated to how “powerful” the hazmat is.

The earth is tough and resilient. The earth spews so much oil from fissures in the earth, and toxic fumes from volcanoes. The entire planet would have been a wasteland before the dinosaurs even evolved. Heck we survived an asteroid slamming into the Yucatán that was the size of Texas.

hello

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-08 13:46:16

At 3/8/23 07:23 AM, Nu-Travisty wrote: I said further down the thread that I think it’s a result of greed. Train derailments are actually pretty common, it literally just happened again a few days ago luckily with no chemical spills.

but, it was another norfolk southern train so once again, my points about their corporate team needing to be tried stands.

I’m hesitant to jump to conclusions over the cause of the crash. The scenario I have in my mind was for Carmont in Aberdeenshire where the train derailed due to debris on the track, as a consequence of poor maintenance of the drainage system. Not saying that is what happened here, just that it took 2-years to investigate and the fault is attributed to those indirect from the actual incident.

to your other point, Ukraine and Turkey may be worse, but to borrow a bit of Bernie sanders verbiage, we’re the richest country in the world and now an entire community may potentially be uninhabitable.

Yeah, admittedly that’s a fair point.

i live in Cincinnati. Officials said they had no concerns because our water filtration system would get any toxins out. Then less than a week later they said we were going on water reserves. The entire city of Cincinnati… makes no sense that we’d even have that kind of capacity and the walk back also raises eyebrows.

yeah, saying this is some false flag is stupid, but being highly concerned about the general health and well being of citizens when there’s evidence saying we should be concerned is logical

Regarding the events following the crash, I think one of the issues is that people are aware these are harmful chemicals but otherwise are unable to assess what is dangerous and how dangerous it is.

There are people doing testing, but ultimately there is a PR issue both in people not giving clear confidence in their findings and (as you mentioned in a bit I may have chopped out) the public simply don’t trust the messenger i.e. government agencies. It’s similar to the response to COVID where responses need to be immediate.

I understand people want more definitive answers, but I can guarantee those won’t come from remote social media correspondents nor politicians.

BBS Signature

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-08 14:06:31

At 3/8/23 01:46 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 3/8/23 07:23 AM, Nu-Travisty wrote: I said further down the thread that I think it’s a result of greed. Train derailments are actually pretty common, it literally just happened again a few days ago luckily with no chemical spills.

I’m hesitant to jump to conclusions over the cause of the crash. The scenario I have in my mind was for Carmont in Aberdeenshire where the train derailed due to debris on the track, as a consequence of poor maintenance of the drainage system. Not saying that is what happened here, just that it took 2-years to investigate and the fault is attributed to those indirect from the actual incident.

yeah I get what you’re saying. So the other train derailment that happened last week happened after flooding events. My immediate assumption is the rain washed out enough of the track support that it lost support.

we have no clue though and as you said it will take investigating.

if this info is correct, my understanding is that the rail companies are also responsible for maintaining said rails. This is a bad look again, if that’s true.

Yeah, admittedly that’s a fair point.

Regarding the events following the crash, I think one of the issues is that people are aware these are harmful chemicals but otherwise are unable to assess what is dangerous and how dangerous it is.

oh I agree, but it was specifically stated at first that they had zero concerns and thought the filtration systems were gonna have no issues tackling it. It just erodes trust is all I’m saying. Also going on water reserves is a hilarious proposition considering the size of the city. No way is that lasting more than a week if that.

There are people doing testing, but ultimately there is a PR issue both in people not giving clear confidence in their findings and (as you mentioned in a bit I may have chopped out) the public simply don’t trust the messenger i.e. government agencies. It’s similar to the response to COVID where responses need to be immediate.

I would argue as far as COVID goes, it was a virus that we had zero clue in how it would harm the public and variants kept occurring.

my assumption, considering the multitude of EPA testing and regulation (I’ve worked in chemicals procurement in a past work life), we have very good data on how these chemicals interact and effect things, so the need for a quick response definitely is accurate in this case, moreso than COVID in my opinion.

I understand people want more definitive answers, but I can guarantee those won’t come from remote social media correspondents nor politicians.

Yep, but the politicians are the ones who enact the action plan to clean it up.

it’s one thing to root cause it, I’d expect a much stronger cleanup effort than we got.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-08 17:33:21

At 3/8/23 10:40 AM, BUM-DRILLER wrote:
At 3/8/23 10:15 AM, Jakal3rdwave wrote: five years from now studies are going to tell us all sorts of horrible things, but the people five years from now will just shrug and say we shoulda done something now. but people now are too busy crying they have to deal with "woke government" to pull their head from their ass and actually focus on real problems instead of crachhead talk show nonsense.
Only someone clairvoyant can determine the long-term effects. But with any kind of chemical, radioactive material, and otherwise hazardous, it naturally dissipates after a while. And the rate of dissipation is correlated to how “powerful” the hazmat is.

The earth is tough and resilient. The earth spews so much oil from fissures in the earth, and toxic fumes from volcanoes. The entire planet would have been a wasteland before the dinosaurs even evolved. Heck we survived an asteroid slamming into the Yucatán that was the size of Texas.

My dear BUM-DRILLER, these aren't mystery chemicals. we know the effects of burning them, and they're awful. what we don't know is the area and saturation this has affected, because they just lit it on fire before they could assess how to do it. a lot of people are going to be suffering for a long time because of this, regardless of how well the planet weathers it.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-08 18:07:50

At 3/1/23 11:42 AM, Nu-Travisty wrote: it’s so nice that I’ve moved to an area where the water supply is being tainted with this bullshit.

first the water department says they have no concerns and the filtration the city uses is good enough, then we are told we are going on water reserves… yeah thought the filtration was good enough guys.

as for the conspiracy theorists in the thread… seriously? It’s corporate fucking greed that’s it.

i sure love living in Cincinnati…

It’s time to start buying bottled water, I’d not trust that shit

Good times good times good times good times

At 3/8/23 05:33 PM, Jakal3rdwave wrote: a lot of people are going to be suffering for a long time because of this, regardless of how well the planet weathers it.

I’m gonna sound negative as hell, but that’s kind of the nature of this world

hello

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-08 19:11:11

Indeed I mean look at what happened with 9/11/01. Many years later after this attack a lot of people got sick with many different things because of what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened to those poor people of east Palestine.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-08 20:58:19

Been awhile since I last saw this right-wing argument of "blame the environment" for pollutants, while humans adds a significant amount to it annually - along with a more harmful array of chemicals. All this does is fuck up the natural cycle, affecting the environment more, and human health.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-10 13:00:58

Senate Committee That Grilled Norfolk Southern’s CEO Is Awash In Company’s Cash

Seven of the nine Republicans and four of the 10 Democrats who sit on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee have cashed campaign checks from the PAC over the course of their careers, according to a HuffPost review of Federal Election Commission records dating back to 2000. The Republicans’ campaign committees and leadership PACs have collected $304,000 from Norfolk Southern, while the Democrats have received $75,000.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-18 19:37:05

Pro-Moscow voices tried to steer Ohio train disaster debate

WASHINGTON (AP) — Soon after a train derailed and spilled toxic chemicals in Ohio last month, anonymous pro-Russian accounts started spreading misleading claims and anti-American propaganda about it on Twitter, using Elon Musk's new verification system to expand their reach while creating the illusion of credibility.

The accounts, which parroted Kremlin talking points on myriad topics, claimed without evidence that authorities in Ohio were lying about the true impact of the chemical spill. The accounts spread fearmongering posts that preyed on legitimate concerns about pollution and health effects and compared the response to the derailment with America's support for Ukraine following its invasion by Russia.

Some of the claims pushed by the pro-Russian accounts were verifiably false, such as the suggestion that the news media had covered up the disaster or that environmental scientists traveling to the site had been killed in a plane crash. But most were more speculative, seemingly designed to stoke fear or distrust. Examples include unverified maps showing widespread pollution, posts predicting an increase in fatal cancers and others about unconfirmed mass animal die-offs.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-20 23:02:40

At 3/20/23 09:31 PM, Braindeaduser wrote:

Totally agree. If Ukraine is getting more lovin' than our own country, boy we are FUCK'DDDD ADAASFDASDFEWSFSDVRDHG

If the political Elites can use what was originally a border dispute between two countries as a way to launder money they will sooner do that help a small community that is in our own backyard.

At this point we might as well go to the president of that country and get him to agree to make Ukraine the 51 state.

Response to Opinion on East Palestine, Ohio? 2023-03-20 23:36:56

At 3/20/23 11:02 PM, LittleWashu wrote:
At 3/20/23 09:31 PM, Braindeaduser wrote:

Totally agree. If Ukraine is getting more lovin' than our own country, boy we are FUCK'DDDD ADAASFDASDFEWSFSDVRDHG
If the political Elites can use what was originally a border dispute between two countries as a way to launder money they will sooner do that help a small community that is in our own backyard.

At this point we might as well go to the president of that country and get him to agree to make Ukraine the 51 state.

Last I looked, you supported Trump who was constantly laundering money into his properties, and businesses, openly. Didn't see you outraged over that. And this small community is getting billions in aid from the government - and billions from the railroad company, Norfolk Southern. They are aren't worse off than a country that has seen 10's of thousands civilians killed by an invading country that people like you are defending.