00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cnri-ng just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writer's Guild

207,316 Views | 4,991 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-20 13:09:51

I read somewhere something about the collab (aside from Coop being sick) and TheDoctor said he didnt oppose, what was that about?

At 10/17/05 07:28 AM, Alkador wrote: I wish you were my English teacher...my one has permanent PMS and doesn't tell me what I need to improve on and such.

I hate roundabout teachers like that.

I was looking for past corrected essays and found some obvious (after seeing the mistakes) awkward sentences...maybe this might give you an idea as to where I muck up...

I will take a look-see, but keep in mind I am no editor… so if I am not much help, I apologize.

Essay Formats:
Letter to the Editor:
"Always coming back home late from work, my children are bombarded with advirtisements promoting them to eat foods that have caused our nation to fall into the epidemic of obesity."

I think the confusion is in promoting them… because even though the reader understands what you mean, and it does make sense… it isn’t necessarily right. The advertisements aren’t promoting the children, but promoting to the children.

Analytical Essay:
"When Bertrande suggested the idea of Arnaud's [her husband] false identity to Martin's younger sister, she was shamed upon."

Hmm, I don’t really see what is wrong with this. Maybe someone else will point it out. Maybe some sub-clauses explaining a little better who is who might avoid any confusion, but I don’t find it awkward.

Anayltical Essay:
"Oedipus was not at full fault of his downfall; his parents and gods had also taken by some of the blame."

This one is quite confusing. It may be correct, but it is awkward because it is not clear. To start, Oedipus was not at fault of his own faults, or for his own faults… make sure that is clear, and then depending on your choice, the second half will be different, whereas had also taken by some makes little to no sense. Maybe had also taken some. You can’t necessarily be taken by blame (literally, anyway), maybe you meant taken aback – I am not sure.

Apart from all that, how have you been as of late?

Busy. University is hectic. A lot of reading, writing, and drawing; social life is hectic too, but fun as hell, so I cant really complain. How about you?

At 10/20/05 08:13 AM, FBIpolux wrote: Oh well, Myst. I guess my story will wait a bit.
If you ask why, just click in my signature.

What the bloody hell happened? This can’t be!??! Explain.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-20 14:37:12

At 10/20/05 01:44 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: Its in the writing forum and is easily accessed and read.

Oh, I see. Well, I am fine with it. Sounds like it could help. : )

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-20 19:38:20

This is my second piece that I have posted here.
I'd like to become a member now.
This is Part 1 of 3 of a short story. Parts 2 and 3 have not yet been written, and no plot has been thought of, or decided. I am simply making it up as I go along. I'd like some opinions on it. I don't really know where to go with it as of yet.

P.S - I'll try and finish parts 2 and 3 off as quickly as I can.

Chapter I
--------------
THE FUNERAL
--------------
Michael opened his eyes. He stretched and yawned. His heart suddenly jumped. Something wasn’t right. He had the feeling he was supposed to be somewhere. He rubbed his eyes. Michael was becoming more aware of his own presence now.
He tossed the bedsheets somewhere in front of him.
“Goddamnit, where am I supposed to be right now?”
The time… Michael’s only source of time was on the LED on the VCR. He stretched up, groaning. It was slightly out of his vision.
The display read 12:18. Michael automatically added on an hour onto this, knowing without even thinking that the clock was one hour slow.
”Oh, fuck! The Funeral! My late friend’s Funeral! It’d begun! Shit!”

Michael clumsily rolled out of bed and landed awkwardly onto the floor. He grabbed the socks that he’d worn yesterday that had been discarded on the floor, and made do with the boxer shorts that he had already worn in his sleep. He grabbed the suit he had rented at the last minute on the previous day. It was un-ironed, and creased. Well, he lived alone in that shithole of a house. You couldn’t expect a guy to do his own ironing. Michael’s previous girlfriend had left him about a month back. She’d always done the goddamn ironing for him, so as you’d expect, he’d been struggling to cope without her company for the past couple of weeks, emotionally and physically.

Anyway, once Michael jumped into that suit, he stumbled around looking for his car keys. He was fucked. He knew that he was already at least twenty minutes late.
”Sorry John, I couldn’t even make it to your goddamn funeral on time.”
Michael eventually found the car keys. He’d forgotten to lock the house and ran outside. He leaped into that old Skoda, and drove as fast as he could. The speed limits didn’t even matter.

Michael finally arrived at the church. He was now about thirty five minutes late. He had driven pretty goddamn fast to get to this point. He parked the car awkwardly and jumped the short fence leading to the courtyard of the Church.
”Jesus Christ, I’m so sorry I’m late,” he explained awkwardly, scratching his head with slight embarrassment.
The mourners stared, wide eyed at Michael.
”So sorry.”
Michael quickly got his act together, and positioned himself amongst the crowd of around thirty middle aged, mostly male dominated guests. He hung his head, and held his hands out in front of him. The mourners’ position.
”Hey Michael,” a guest beside him began.
”I’m so sorry about this… About your brother.”
Michael said nothing. He just nodded in acknowledgement.
He stared into the grass. It was all he really had to focus his eyes on. He allowed his vision to blur, the way he did when he didn’t know what to do, or feel.

Thanks to Mick_The_Champion for the pointers. He suggested I change the story from first to third person, which I ended up doing around 3 paragraphs in.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-20 20:24:14

At 10/20/05 07:38 PM, 1 wrote: I'd like to become a member now.

Welcome to the guild.

At 10/20/05 08:03 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: Our Colab

Cool.

At 10/20/05 08:14 PM, FBIpolux wrote: Someone if fucking stupid, I guess.

Thats rediculous.

A moderator deleted the thread. I'm waiting on Sanjay for more information.

You can always post what you have so far and continue from there - after you find out from sanjay that is.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-20 20:26:13

A couple poems:

Night Beckons

The canopy of speeding lights, though stifle of the night,
reduce the angst of curiosity, and deem realities’ plight.
The seconds pass as starry-count, contrary to the tiny fingers,
driving potent reason, even in the lack of life, as it lingers --
the first moon hinges, intervals not aside, by means of start.
In recent aft, a large clutter, though evoked pleasant, there depart.
Above, like victim, the role is played, and then grows dreary,
for mind and interest, a better source, is a habitant of the weary.

A peddler’s goal, fade of light, as well awareness – heightened,
but nary a noise of prudence, though certainty is frightened,
for brief is cycle, despite extended travel, then passing is cower --
gentle ideas, and common things, and showers grow the flower.
In respite of daily custom, though sure is task, journey ends,
and caretaker, sibling, lover, son, lifts his closest friend
to lay upon the resting ground, and stand, the door nearby
before ceasing final light, and parting comfort wry.

The Distant Lily

PART I

The swelling pasture thickens and greens
Each fragile leaf a sweeping serene
The single tree in the field so wide
A dome of jade both weeping and cried
And in its emerald moment a brushing wind
There blows all the souls of those who sinned

Just past the field lies a garden of blue
Where the horizon and garden are one and imbued
The azure vegetation seems solemn and calm
Though the cerulean shrub seems just as aplomb
And as the light shifts from east to west
All turns navy passing day’s test

The blue stream soon broadens to a purple river
And the violet ripples continue to quiver
With each impeding rock clearly below
The innate, murky amethyst appears to glow
The sky is mauve, and the clouds a surreal design
The river widens and grows a deeper wine

And though the connecting lake is a potent red
The center’s crimson drop can be seen in the spread
The ruby waters wave and roll
As life in the lake grows and extols
The light from the sky echoes its splendor
And it quiets and calms, expressing the tender

An orange forest surrounds the red lake
Like early dawn, it seems to awake
The weaving paths throughout the burn
Travel and grow without a concern
And the tranquil ginger ground
Carries travelers without a sound

Past the forest is the yellow field
Where the sooner is the beauty revealed
Through the golden meadow is the distant walk
The butter birds all scatter in a flock
And travel on with a mindful of thought
As just over that hill lies that which is sought

And at the rainbows end
Is a nascent lily instead
And the green grass begins to play
As the blue sky continues to sway
And the purple waters begin to flow
As the red plants continue to grow
And the first orange leaf begins to fall
As the yellow sun continues to stall

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-20 23:27:43

At 10/20/05 10:45 PM, FBIpolux wrote: I've just learned that an Admin had deleted the thread. Well, that's what DarkArchon thinks. I'm going to talk about that with Sanjay, and if he don't want to create a thread in the General section for me, I will post everything here. But it mostly belongs to the General section, in my opinion.

Certainly. I dont see how they can argue that it doesnt belong there. You arn't 'officially' a part of this club, or at least you never claimed it, so therefore it wouldn't belong i nthis club without you joining first, and they cant force you to joi nthe club... thus, your only other option is the general section... which is for 'general' use... like those, not a part of a writing club to post writing in. ; )

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-20 23:39:42

I would like to join. Infact I do stories on my website. heres the section

I wrote a flash script for a music video cause i dont have flash.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-20 23:41:47

At 10/20/05 11:39 PM, TheBoneThug wrote: I would like to join. Infact I do stories on my website. heres the section

I was hoping you would come around sooner or later. Welcome man.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-21 02:08:07

At 10/20/05 11:41 PM, Myst_Williams wrote:
At 10/20/05 11:39 PM, TheBoneThug wrote: I would like to join. Infact I do stories on my website. heres the section
I was hoping you would come around sooner or later. Welcome man.

Thanks Myst, Did you check out the stories dude?

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-21 05:42:32

I have some weird questions for people who know a lot about parts of sentences and such.

I am trying to grasp new Japanese verb concepts, but in order to do so, I must understand how they are used in English.

What is the difference between a transitive and intransitive verb and when are they used?
What is the difference between a verb and a passive verb and when are they used?

Is there such thing as 'causative verbs' in English or not?

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-21 12:40:42

At 10/21/05 05:42 AM, Alkador wrote:
What is the difference between a transitive and intransitive verb and when are they used?

This depends on the object the verb takes.
A transitive verb is a word that needs to be followed up by a direct object to work in a sentence (to be "complete").
ie. "The glass holds water" would be complete, whereas "The glass holds" would be incomplete, as it has no direct object.

An intransitive verb on the other hand cannot be followed by a direct object, ie. "It was raining outside, so I lingered about the house for the rest of the day."
Here lingered is used intransitively, and is thus followed by a phrase that acts as an adverb ("around the house").

So in short:
The meaning of a transitive verb is incomplete without a direct object.
An intransitive verb cannot take a direct object.

What is the difference between a verb and a passive verb and when are they used?

Is this to do with active and passive verbs? If that's the case then an active is simply "I did" whereas a passive is more along the lines of "I was".
"I [somethinged] the [something]"=active
"I was [somethinged] by the [something]"=passive

As I remember it's basically to do with the actions of the narrator vs the actions of a character.

Sounds familiar, but nothing immediately springs to mind. I'd have a dig on the net if I were you.
Hope that helped, it doesn't seem particularly clear when I read it through, but meh, it's been ages since I studied this.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-21 16:54:26

Awesome FBI!!!

At 10/21/05 02:08 AM, TheBoneThug wrote: Thanks Myst, Did you check out the stories dude?

I skimmed through. Didnt read them all yet tho. : )

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-21 20:46:31

I'd like to join, but i don't know how. Can you tell me how? PLeez.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-21 20:59:52

At 10/21/05 08:46 PM, Solid-Snake1991 wrote: I'd like to join, but i don't know how. Can you tell me how? PLeez.

You already did it. You asked. : ) Welcome.

Post some writing for critique, review, pleasure... or just read along.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-21 21:08:26

At 10/21/05 04:54 PM, Myst_Williams wrote: Awesome FBI!!!

At 10/21/05 02:08 AM, TheBoneThug wrote: Thanks Myst, Did you check out the stories dude?
I skimmed through. Didnt read them all yet tho. : )

lol if you read mast3rmind's stories it will blow you away.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-22 05:29:55

At 10/21/05 12:40 PM, -TheDoctor- wrote: The meaning of a transitive verb is incomplete without a direct object.

So...
Transitive: "I went home."
Intrasitive: "It is raining."

Is this to do with active and passive verbs? If that's the case then an active is simply "I did" whereas a passive is more along the lines of "I was".
"I [somethinged] the [something]"=active
"I was [somethinged] by the [something]"=passive

Hmmm...that one is sort of confusing. I'll try an example and maybe you can see if it's passive or not.

Active: "I can make cakes."
Passive: "Cakes are made of flour."

Sounds familiar, but nothing immediately springs to mind. I'd have a dig on the net if I were you.

Well, causative verbs in Japanese literally represent an action that someone has made you done. For example, the causative verb for 'eat' in Japanese is 'feed' as you are having someone make you eat.

But what really rattles my brain is that Japanese grammar has 'causastive-passive verbs'. How can you have something that you are made to do if you are acting passive? Er, I don't know if you understand what I'm talking about, but I figured it's worth a shot.

Hope that helped, it doesn't seem particularly clear when I read it through, but meh, it's been ages since I studied this.

I have and thanks for your help. Hey, at least you did learn this at school! I don't even know the names of parts of sentences, which can be annoying at times. They don't teach any of that stuff at primary or high school in Australia anymore. It's not so good for me trying to learn this grammarm, as I have my Year 12 English exam next week. But as I said, this is more for the sake of me learning Japanese, as I need to fully grasp the concepts in English before I do so in Japanese.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-22 08:17:37

Oh now the only way to read the stories on random is to join up, sorry to be a bummer but random needs members. And it prevents spam. so join up if you wanna read the stories.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-22 10:30:19

woah i've been away for a while, anyways heres another one of my scripts, hope you like it ^^
The Legend of zelda:
behind the shield but in front of the sword

Kris's lines: Blue
Kira's lines: Red
Toms lines: purple

it starts with the classic shield and sword title from ocarina of time and peaceful zelda music is playing. the the music is abruptly cut and links alarm plays as he tries to hit it with his hand

Link is asleep in his bed up in the tree in the Deku forest.
Clothes are all around the floor and his Alarm clock is smashed,
The megaton hammer rests beside it.
Navi flies in through the window.

Navi - "Link! Link! Wake up link!"

Link grumbles and pulls the sheets over his head.

Navi bashes against his head.

Navi - "Something bad has happened!"

Link (Mumbling) - "Let me guess... Zelda's been kidnapped...
Gannon is trying to steal the triforce...
And I need to find the master sword,
Then revive it's powers by going through numerous temples and killing massive beasts?"

Navi - "But Link--"

Link (Mumbling) - "And how could I forget... I'll need the Holy arrows."

Navi - "LINK! I don't care how many times you've done it, but Gannon never seems to tire of it."

Link pulls out a bottle half filled with chewing gum, swiping navi into the bottle.

Navi lets out muffled shouts.

Link goes back to sleep.

Several hours pass, and Link is awoken to the sound of screaming and burning wood.

He looks out of his window to see the whole town is on fire.

Link (Unenthusiastically) - "...fuck."

He un-bottles Navi and picks up his sword and iPod

Link - "Come on then. I'll go and get Epona."

He plugs his headphones in and listens to the Zelda theme.

He climbs down the ladder and before him is a very noble steed, but he walks strieght past.

Link - "...Horses are for wussies."

Link climbs onto a Motorbike and drives over to Hyrule. All the parking spaces are taken. He takes a disabled space.
He goes into town, and Zelda throws him an Ocarina as she is chased away by Gannon.

Link - "...Orcarinas are for wussies."

As he enters the town, Zelda gives him a vision.

Zelda - "Link, you must learn the songs that Shiek will teach to you.
These will take you to the temples which will revitalise the master sword."

Link - "An Ocarina? Why didn't you give me a gnarly instrument like an electric gituar that has the devil's soul imprisoned inside it?"

Zelda gives link a disgusted look.

Zelda - "Look, just go to the temple of time, grab the sword, and power it up."

Link - "Okay, okay. But, why should I learn the songs? I already have them on my iPod, and I have a set of speakers."

Zelda shakes her head in disbelief.

The vision ends, leaving Link in town. He enters the temple of time and unenthusiastically drags the sword out of the altar.

Navi - "Link! You have the most powerful weapon in all of hyrule in your hands! Dosn't it make you feel powerful? "

Link stops and shrugs.

Link - "Let's get back to Epona, anyway."

They return to the motorbike, only to find it clamped with a hundred tickets hanging off the seat.

Navi reads one of the tickets. 'Gannon's Enforcement Agency' is written across the front.

Link drops to the floor.

Link - "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

He shreads at the tickets with the sword.

Link realises he's thirsty and looks up to the hill to see lon-lon bar

Link - "I'm thirsty from hearing that story, plus with the fact my car has been clamped by "Ganon's Enforcing Agency" and my bitch having to run-away, I need to drink so much that I can't feel feelings anymore."

Navi - "Thats fine, but how are we supposed to get there when your Motorbikes been clamped dumbass? What about by hor-"

Link - "Horses are for pussies!" >_<#

Link thought for a moment, then a dim lightbulb appeared above his head which basically said "BAD IDEA"

Link - "What if we teleported there?"

Navi - "We can't, you said ocarina's are for pussies."

Link - (Dramatic music in the backround) "Then theres only one thing to do!" (Cape flaps in the wind.)

Link and Navi are standing by the road side, trying to hitch hike. A taxi stops for them, and as the window winds down to reveal an Asian kokori child, with a pervy fairy, Navi looks apprehensive to get in, Link on the other hand is happy a mate stopped for him, and pushes Navi in.

Marco (the taxi driver) "Where to my friend?"

Link - "Lon Lon Bar! And step on it!"

As the car is drving away, Micheal Jacksons limo drives up and you can see from inside the window that several kokiry children are tied up, bound, and or/ gagged

Michael Jackson: "God damn i missed him!"

Michael Jacksons fairy Pillow appears at his side.

Pillow - "Lets go after Navi, I love young meat!"

Michael Jackson's car speeds off after them.

Inside the taxi, Marco's fairy Jason starts to flirt with Navi

Jason - "So, Navi, do you er, come her often?"

Navi looks at him.

Navi (Sarcastically) - "What the fuck do you think?"

Jason just blinks at her

Jason - "Wanna fuck whilst we're driving to Lon Lon bar?"

At this point, Navi garbs an arrow from Link And impales Jason with it, And Throws him out the window, where he falls into Micheal Jacksons car, All we hear is Pillow saying "Hello sexy!" we then hear Jason screaming as the car drives off into the distance.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-22 10:31:48

Back in the taxi, police sirens start to ring, and a police man tries to stop them, but marco accelerates faster, Link then turns to him.

Link - "Errm Marco, I think they want you to stop."

Marco looks distant, but alert at the same time

Marco - "Well he can go to hell, this car is stolen!"

Link sighs, sitting back in his seat.

Link - "Dumbass."

A chase ensues (insert matrix music here lol) then, Lon Lon Bar can be seen in the distance, marco accelerates even faster

Marco - "If I dont make it out alive, take care of Jason!"

Marco then looks around

Marco - "Where is he?"

Navi - "Sleeping with pillow"

Marco pauses, then screams.

Marco - "OH GOD NO!"

The car is about to crash into the wall, marco throws link and navi out at the last minute, leaving him and the policeman to die in a fiery explosion

Link sighs

Link - "...Always has to be the centre of attention! 'Look at me, I can drive! Look at me, I can juggle lions! Look at me, I've crashed into a wall and I'm trapped in a pile of burning steel!'"

Navi looks furious and smacks him over the head.

Navi - "YOU INSENSITIVE ASSWIPE!" She hits him again "GET IN THE FUCKING BAR, NOW!"

As they walk in, they are surprised to see its clean.

Link - "Hey, Talon, why's the bar so clean? Normally its a crap-hole"

Talon looks at him warningly.

Talon - "Link, the bars ALWAYS been this clean!" Wink wink

The health inspector looks around, but link dosn't seem to understand.

Link - "O.........k but why isnt it its normal crap hole self?"

Talon sighs and as the inspctor writes something down on his cliboard, Talon mumbles something like "Link you retard! He's the health inspector."

Link takes a seat at the bar.

Talon is behind the bar, watching the health inspector and cleaning a glass with a white cloth.

Talon - "So, Link. What brings you here?"

Link sighs.

Link - "My car's been clamped, and I've got hundreds of tickets. It'll take a lifetime to pay them off..."

Talon pulls out a glass of milk for link. He quickly chugs it down.

Talon -"aww cheer up! look at our entertainment"

Link stares at him

Link - "Entertainment?"

Talon - "yea....Malon sings now!"

Malon is seen singing epona's song on stage but has a bottle thrown ather head by a booing crowd, her singing becomes slurred and she eventually cries ; "MONKEY FEET!" and passes out, she is then swept away by Talon

Random announcer - "and now folks, say a big hello to SUM 41!!!"

sum 41 start playing one of their songs and Malon starts grumbling in japanese

Talon -"anyways, what will you do now then?"

Link - "Well, he's kidnapped princess Zelda (*mumble* Again...) and he's trying to take the triforce, so I guess I'll just have to stop him."

Talon - "Stay for a while, though. Have a drink."

They talk for a few hours, Link drinks continually.

A few hours later, Link is drunk.

Link - "And ... and that's when... that's when I told him, right to his face..."

Talon (Unenthusiastically) - "... What did you tell him, Link?"

Link - "... (Link pauses to think.) ... I don't know."

Link falls to the floor.

Talon sighs and pulls out a broom, sweeping him back outside. Navi apologises. "I'm sorry, he's been a bit of a dick lately."

Talon - "Don't worry. What gets me though, is how he gets drunk from milk."

They both look down at him, he's blowing snot bubbles out his nose in his sleep.

Talon smiles. "Come back soon!"

Link wakes up, it's morning. He stands up, stretching.

Navi drew all over his face in the night with a permanant marker. She quickly hides the marker while he wakes.

Navi - "Good morning link! Sleep well?"

Link scratches his ass and grunts.

Link - "Mmm."

Navi - "Now can we go and rescue Zelda and save Hyrule?"

Link - "Ugh. I suppose."

Link - "lets go find Ganon!"

they walk a few feet and realise there isnt much point in carrying on

Link - "Look i know im going against what i said, but i want to teleport to reach Ganon."

Link pulls out the ocarina and starts playing the souls requiem, they end up teleporting to turkey. Navi, is naturally annoyed and starts hitting him on the head.

Navi - "Stupid stupid boy! wait......what the hells that in the ditch?"

They walk over to the ditch and realise its Ganon, he's been robbed, roped and left in a ditch.

Link - "shame....ah well lets get moving Navi.....hey its marco! HEY MARCO!"

The ghost of the taxi driver, marco, floats up to them and, instead of scaring the living hell out of them, begins to talk;

Marco - "Link the metre is still running, so you owe me 500,000,000 rupees please!"

Navi starts laughing

Navi - "poor Link, looks you had better sell you're beloved motorbike for cash! ha ha ha ha ha!......Link?"

Link is seen in the distance driving off on his motorbike

Marco - "Well thats unfortunate, but i guess that you owe me 500,000,000 rupees, plus tip!"

Navi - "OH YOU STUPID CU-"

Cut to credits

thats a few hours of work, wasnt very hard but still enjoyed making it all the same, hope you guys like it ^^ gimme some feedback good or bad, i dont care :P

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-22 13:35:29

At 10/22/05 05:29 AM, Alkador wrote: Active: "I can make cakes."
Passive: "Cakes are made of flour."

Just to clarify...

Active: "The dog bit the boy."
Passive: "The boy was bitten by the dog."

The simplist example you will ever get. Notice how they are still both past tense, but the difference in the sentence. Less words is generally more active, but don't mark that as its only characteristic. That was just how I originally used. So using the extra word 'was' makes it passive. Active is stronger writing, and should be used more often than passive.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-22 13:37:07

At 10/22/05 01:35 PM, Myst_Williams wrote: Active: "The dog bit the boy."
Passive: "The boy was bitten by the dog."

Haha, I went and looked it up, and found a site to help clarify. Oddly enough, it has the same example I used. : )

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-23 08:24:21

At 10/22/05 01:37 PM, Myst_Williams wrote: Haha, I went and looked it up, and found a site to help clarify. Oddly enough, it has the same example I used. : )

Wow, thank you so so much for helping me out. I guess my error is writing passive sentences as opposed to active. I think I type like that on NG too, so I will try to fix my errors and such.

Thanks again.

It sort of explains when I can use it in Japanese. I will have to find a Japanese grammar book that explains it more deeply as their sentence structure is totally different.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-23 09:20:18

I need to test this idea out:

In the 1500's, Nostradamus predicted we'd create an ultimate weapon, and nothing shall ever be better than it. Thus we created the Atom bomb. But he also said that we would overuse that weapon in 2027, in WW3.

We did, in fact go into conflict involving 50 different contries. In this point in time, only Russia and England were on our side. Everyone else was fighting for their life. Though, the greatest threat was Kim Jong Il. He had accumulated many, many nuclear weapons of mass destruction.

We sent 3 bombs to North Korea: one to bomb it, one to keep it out of our troubles, one to destroy it forever.

They realized what we've done, thus, they fired a rain of missiles at the 2 greatest cities: NY and Washington DC.
The President had died. With out leader dead, we had no one restraining us from anything. People began looting, stealing, murdering, and wounding. This happened in Russia, as well, when Iraqi assasins assasinated (say that 3 times fast) their leader.

The world was in anarchy. But the real demise was when the so called, "3rd Antichrist", rose up
in China, and used the missiles, the hundreds of thousands of missiles, to destroy all lands that did not worship in the Jewish religion.

Almost all of the world was bombed now. Barely a lake still stood, but if it did, you would die in one drink, for many of the bombs, were Germ bombs.
Over the years, the only surviving humans turned to cannibals, and ate every other human they saw, that being the only food. They soon died of hunger, and there was no living thng on Earth, anymore.

After thousands of years of decay, for the buildings and bodies, it formed a new soil, and life, and evolution, began all over again.

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-23 13:47:29

At 10/22/05 05:29 AM, Alkador wrote:
At 10/21/05 12:40 PM, -TheDoctor- wrote: The meaning of a transitive verb is incomplete without a direct object.
So...
Transitive: "I went home."
Intrasitive: "It is raining."

You got the intransitive right, "I went" still makes sense though, you need to take out the object and read it back to work out whether it's transitive.
Another example:
"The sack carries grain."
If you take out the object of the sentence you are left with "The sack carries" which makes no sense, hence the verb is transitive.

Myst explained the active/passive better than I there :)

But what really rattles my brain is that Japanese grammar has 'causastive-passive verbs'. How can you have something that you are made to do if you are acting passive? Er, I don't know if you understand what I'm talking about, but I figured it's worth a shot.

Aha, I think I get this. So, let's review:
Active: Eat
Passive: Ate
Causative: Feed
And this leads me to the conclusion...
Causative-passive: Fed

It seems to be a case of the passive equivalent to the causative word. You might want to try experimenting with some other examples to confirm that though.

I'll try and read some pieces and post comments, 1's is top of my list right now, but I have a lot on at the moment (leisure-wise) so it might take a while. The next section of UNTITLED SCI-FI CRIME THRILLER is nearing completion... meaning that I have sat down to write it once, so another session should get the rest done.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-23 13:57:41

At 10/23/05 01:47 PM, -TheDoctor- wrote:
Aha, I think I get this. So, let's review:
Active: Eat
Passive: Ate
Causative: Feed
And this leads me to the conclusion...
Causative-passive: Fed

Wait... passive should have been eaten, and that was all assuming you're using the past tense. Still, I have a feeling I fucked up something majorly there.
Blargh, brain thinky not work after hours of car dirving.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-23 14:01:23

At 10/23/05 01:57 PM, -TheDoctor- wrote: dirving.

You see!? YOU SEE!?
BALRHGABBSHIBBLEEARRGABlELILELARGH!

Ignore everything that required more than basic brain functions in my last three posts.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-23 14:09:20

lol, not only did I learn a little, but I was entertained. Man, you werent like this in the Immortal RP thread... you were always so serious. : )

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-23 14:25:23

At 10/23/05 02:09 PM, Myst_Williams wrote: lol, not only did I learn a little, but I was entertained. Man, you werent like this in the Immortal RP thread... you were always so serious. : )

That's because I was in NERD-MODE.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-23 14:55:03

At 10/23/05 02:25 PM, -TheDoctor- wrote: That's because I was in NERD-MODE.

Haha, fair enough. Man, I tried so hard to keep up with that RP thread, but being someone who doesnt enjoy sci-fi so much, and never watched a single star trek in his life... it was hard to grasp, and be creative. : P

Response to Writer's Guild 2005-10-23 16:46:03

I havn't posted here in awhile. I promise I will give something after December. Right now I have to read Tale of Two Cities for the hundreth time. Why does every elnglish teacher make you read that book sure its got some great scenes in it, but it isn't that great of a book.
Peace