00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Enoughforcast just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do Not ...

29,706 Views | 201 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Do Not ... 2007-11-05 17:15:06

Ok, SUPER IMPORTANT QUESTION HERE!

Am I allowed to make a song using vocal clips from a game? I doubt the clips themselves are copyrighted, and it would be cool to do that. The game in question is Portal. I already have the samples. The question is if I can use them.

Response to Do Not ... 2007-11-05 17:33:25

At 11/5/07 05:15 PM, navij11 wrote: Ok, SUPER IMPORTANT QUESTION HERE!

Am I allowed to make a song using vocal clips from a game? I doubt the clips themselves are copyrighted, and it would be cool to do that. The game in question is Portal. I already have the samples. The question is if I can use them.

Copyrights have a thing called fair use, part of which states that single phrases are not considered part copyrighted. This means that by puting the lines you use in a different order or evan just the fact that your using them in a different median makes it is legal. So yes that is legal.

WUML Lowell 91.5 FM - Real Underground Radio

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2007-11-05 18:21:36

At 11/5/07 05:33 PM, InsaneSmilie wrote: Copyrights have a thing called fair use, part of which states that single phrases are not considered part copyrighted. This means that by puting the lines you use in a different order or evan just the fact that your using them in a different median makes it is legal. So yes that is legal.

Awesome! What I'm doing is using the clip, adding reverb, delay, effects, etc, slicing and possibly reordering, so I guess its ok! Cool!

Response to Do Not ... 2008-01-15 03:16:54

At 7/18/06 09:55 AM, Khuskan wrote: Right, lets set the record straight on covers.

A cover is when you play music written by somebody else, fair enough, but the copyright that protects the printed, written, sheet music is thus:

You can cover the song and perform/distribute your cover, as long as you don't charge for it. As soon as you start charging for it, you have to pay royalties to the company that published the sheet music for the public domain.

As long as you don't actually use their sheet music, and tab/work out the chords yourself, you are not actually using ANY of their origional material, and instead your interpretation of their song, which, no matter how good you are, will never be the same as the origional, and although its technically legitamate to sell a cover, you probably still would get hounded by layers trying to make a little extra money for their clients.

On this basis, you technically can upload covers, both from the official sheet music/tabs, or your own interpretation as long as you do it non-commercially.

Phew guys, i've been reading all the posts for almost half an hour, so i don't end up posting anything stupid, but the thing is I'm still not sure about submitting

What Khuskan said is the most clear answer I'm getting, but it's important to know what to do, so I'm giving an example, suppose I have the piano music sheets for final fantasy, and they're original, so can i play it on my piano and submit it on the portal? because at the end, the interpretation is mine, and it will never sound exactly as the original compositor, and of course i'm saying its a "cover" (will cover be the correct definition?) so what happens with that, can I submit? please answer guys, I'm sorry to bother with this subject that has made a lot of people scream to heaven and curse, but it's better than submitting something that will get me banned.

Don't forget to check my music here in newgrounds! just click HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-01-15 06:12:35

I think that as long as you're recording it and crediting the original composer, it should be fine.
You just can't make any money off of it.

Response to Do Not ... 2008-01-15 07:47:21

At 5/25/07 06:43 PM, SBB wrote: Covers are not illegal

yes they are...even radio stations have to pay a license to play a song. under law if you want to perform another artists song you have to pay him

:: Copyrights have a thing called fair use

yeah, go check out court cases about it...it no longer holds water, rap artists have been sued left & right for using samples. what's usable or not hasn't been settled in court as of this date

Congratulations! You just destroyed someone else's hard work! This Flash has been blammed.

Response to Do Not ... 2008-01-15 11:19:01

Its quite easy to remake a song and not being guilty.. Just change some notes in the melody and some Tempo things.. Thats all.. Its easy, and U r not guilty.. Because if u get banned for using a Chord progression then everyone here shud be banned cause no1 here made those progressions and melodies for firts.. Peace :)

Another thing is, why shud we remake songs? I mean, Thats kinda stupid cause you are uploading other ppl stuff.. How do u feel doing that? its like ''Im not good enough to make a song myself, so I upload another persons song so I can get good votes and reviews'' Its sad :P

If u can't make music, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING UPLOADING THINGS IN THE AUDIO PORTAL?

I think this is my largest post ever.. Lol..

Response to Do Not ... 2008-01-15 11:24:37

Well, as everyone said earlier, it's a matter of originality. There are quite a few people that build up their songs from other projects. Call it a tribute, call it a cover. The line is extremely thin, which is why a majority of users (myself included), discourage it. But it happens anyway. You like a copyrighted song that badly, create your own version with your own templates. It reflects how you feel. When I did mine on Slipknot's "Purity", I did all of the voicework myself based on the album recordings and the live shows. Purity still remains my top favorite and it felt great to do a song based on it.

I agree with FDA on the subject. Albeit if it were me, I'd be way more strict. But that amounts to trolling, and no one likes a troll XD

Die...

Response to Do Not ... 2008-01-16 05:55:42

At 4/13/05 04:25 AM, AGH wrote:
At 4/13/05 04:05 AM, Denvish wrote: # You are making the legal claim that it is your own original work.
# Loops you made from existing copyrighted songs are not your own original work.
# If you turn out to not be the original author, you will be responsible for any repercussions.
# You are giving permission to Flash authors to use your audio, free of charge.
# You will remain the owner and credited author of the submission.
Just so I have it absolutely clear, by author you are talking about the writer of the song - music and lyrics -, so covers are definately not allowed?

If this holds true then you can cover stuff thats out of copywrite... copywrite only lasts 50 years.. the beatles stuff will be up for grabs soon... but anything from the 50's and prior you can technically use as it is no longer in copywrite... hense why alot of drum n bass tracks use breaks from the 1920's

Nexus: 1. a means of connection; tie; link.

Nexus: 2. a connected series or group.

Nexus: 3. the core or center, as of a matter or situation.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-01-16 08:04:07

I read this on a site on copyright:
"Generally copyright in music and lyrics lasts for the life of the author or creator, plus 70 years after the end of the calendar year in which the author dies.

If the work was not published, broadcast, performed or records of the work had not been offered or exposed for sale to the public until after the creator's death, copyright will last for 70 years from the end of the calendar year of first publication, broadcast, performance or when records of the work were offered or exposed for sale to the public."

This is a lot longer than what WizardSleeve mentioned of 50 years after the copyright was made. Which is more accurate. And also, when a copyright expires, does that mean that an artist can legally sample from a recording of the until recently copyrighted songs, or is it just for covers of the same music? I'm thinking of the drum breaks and if artists sampling a break from a particular song, whether they could take a larger portion of the song, the main riff, for example?

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-01-17 14:07:53

has the law changed? maybe I heard wrong but a couple of years ago i heard alot of the beatles songs only had 10 years left... if i'm wrong i'm wrong, and for that i am sorry...

but yeah once there out of copywrite you are free to sample them in anyway you like...

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-01-27 07:22:00

I guess I'll never get a definite answer to that.. oh well

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-08-14 23:13:30

is basically a disclaimer for NG, saying that they're not going to get involved in any legal action regarding copyright. So basically, if you get sued for using copyrighted material, NG will wash their hands of it, and you're on your own. Despite RC's comment about NO COVERS, the Video Game genre is full of remixed versions or versions played on different instruments, and I'm fairly sure that most of those tunes are copyrighted to Namco/Nintendo/Square Enix or whoever.

Yeah but does that mean that I (Compaq 272) wouldn't be able to submit a different version of a copywrited sog?

MAY THE DARK SIDE SERVE YOU WELL

Response to Do Not ... 2008-08-15 18:02:14

At 4/13/05 03:11 AM, FDA wrote: Do not upload copyrighted material.... if I catch you or anyone else doing this.... you risk having your account suffer the consequences.

NG is a great community and we offer lots of FREE entertainment. I knwo many peopel just want to SHARE other songs, etc... however this can get into a legal issue.

The audio portal is designed so that NG members can upload and share THEIR OWN creations.... these can be used for submissions in the portal in either the games or short flicks department, etc.....

I have recently had to ban quite a number of members from ever uploading audio. Hopefully this number will lessen and one day maybe even become next to nothing.

All the songs that i upload onto newgrounds are original by me.
I use samples from cd's and sound websites that say I can share samples under a creative commons liscense.
Would I get banned if people believe that the free samples I use off of sound websites probably stolen or cutted from some copyrighted source?
I dont take anything from sources that say i cant use there samples on my songs in there licence agreement .So if i get banned because of a piece in 1 of my song i didnt know was allegidly from a movie or copyrighted artist ,who do i mail to save my account?

Hail Fiction

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-08-15 18:08:36

Oh my jesus, you've bumped such an old and amazing thread. Thanks. :D

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-08-15 18:49:17

At 8/15/08 06:08 PM, TMM43 wrote: Oh my jesus, you've bumped such an old and amazing thread. Thanks. :D

cuz it didnt lock
and i want answers :D

lol

Hail Fiction

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-08-15 20:48:04

At 8/15/08 06:02 PM, nataSNoose wrote: I use samples from cd's and sound websites that say I can share samples under a creative commons liscense.
Would I get banned if people believe that the free samples I use off of sound websites probably stolen or cutted from some copyrighted source?

Samples from sites like Freesound.org and similar sites with royalty-free samples are generally fine. If the original source is a copyrighted sample, it's still, well copyrighted. Just use common sense when browsing and downloading samples. If you are worrying about whether sample might be copyrighted, just avoid using it and everybody will be happy happy

I have no idea what those two last lines were about. Sorry. I don't understand why you worry since you're approved long ago anyway.

Response to Do Not ... 2008-08-15 22:06:30

i didnt realize my typo.

uhh if i remix or re-edit 1 of my uploaded songs and replace the file with my more updated one rather than post it as another track on newgrounds.
would the page reviews and ratings reset?

Hail Fiction

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-08-16 03:27:01

At 8/15/08 10:06 PM, nataSNoose wrote: i didnt realize my typo.

uhh if i remix or re-edit 1 of my uploaded songs and replace the file with my more updated one rather than post it as another track on newgrounds.
would the page reviews and ratings reset?

if you update an existing song with reviews and ratings, everything will stay. so no, they will not reset.

Wakka wakka

Response to Do Not ... 2008-08-16 21:06:41

ok thx.

Hail Fiction

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-08-24 15:59:54

ok 3 questions are arangements ok so like say i arrange the opera theme from Final Fantasy VI for orchestra from the music (dictation) and post it on hear after its be performed by the ochestra at my school is that aloud

if i perform somthing on my saxaphone written by Handel or Bach who have died hundreds of yesrs ago is that alloud because they are in the public domain

is somthing I perform on my saxaphone or piano written 77 years ago, but the guy is dead as of 27 years ago aloud so creston sonata op 19 published in 1945 and he died in 1985 is that aloud as long as its my performance, interpretation of the music, and all my own perfromance, and i make any money off of it aloud?

Response to Do Not ... 2008-09-10 00:31:13

my questions still havn't been answered

Response to Do Not ... 2008-09-14 08:55:42

At 4/13/05 03:11 AM, FDA wrote: Do not upload copyrighted material.... if I catch you or anyone else doing this.... you risk having your account suffer the consequences.

NG is a great community and we offer lots of FREE entertainment. I knwo many peopel just want to SHARE other songs, etc... however this can get into a legal issue.

The audio portal is designed so that NG members can upload and share THEIR OWN creations.... these can be used for submissions in the portal in either the games or short flicks department, etc.....

I have recently had to ban quite a number of members from ever uploading audio. Hopefully this number will lessen and one day maybe even become next to nothing.

so that means if my relative had music and i had his permission to add it, then i still couldnt put it on the audio portal cause of the copyright?

Aw shizzle.

Response to Do Not ... 2008-10-16 11:02:25

Hello, I've got a Question,

I've Posted Several Songs, I Made myself,
Originally with the Idea to share it, get comments, and make it free to use for Flash Artists from here.

But here it comes.
My songs are going to be used in an Role Playing Game.
(Still in Development in Holland)
Am I Allowed to Post them here? I don't know much about the Licensing Terms of Video Game Soundtracks, I'm Still a simple Student, which means I'm not an Absolute Pro.
If anyone Could make that Clear for me, I'd Be really happy;)

I've read the other posts in here, but i Couldn't Find Anything Which Could really answer my Question..

Thanks in Advance

DJ OverLord

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-10-16 12:45:26

If you didn't give them the complete rights to the track (aka they own it now, not you), it's perfectly fine.

In fact, we encourage you to post them here. :D

Response to Do Not ... 2008-10-17 02:58:41

yeah, long story short. Don't be a douche! Post original stuff! ^_~ and follow rules.

WF1

Wyldfyre1

Response to Do Not ... 2008-10-17 04:48:53

I don't get it...why don't people know what "copyrighted" means? I knew that at age 4!

Response to Do Not ... 2008-10-17 19:26:38

At 10/17/08 04:48 AM, F-777 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 73191
I don't get it...why don't people know what "copyrighted" means? I knew that at age 4!

;OoOooOoOoO Jesse Posted? xD

Yeah, Why say its no tyours too...

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-10-18 08:33:06

Okay, Thanks very much, I understand it now.
I didn't give them the full rights, I own the songs.
Thanks very much for helping me.
I'll Keep posting on newgrounds then.

~DJ OverLord~

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-10-18 12:17:46

Glad I could help. :D