00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Mich just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Copycat Rant

72,454 Views | 431 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:27:44

your right.. its just a fact of the world we live in..

at the moment you have the monopoly, but one day someone will come along with your idea only better.. and put you out of buisness

it happens to every form of business in the computer industry..

sorry but thats the truth..

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:29:39

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: stuff

Look Tom, things like this will always happen. One man or team creates a good and original concept. It gets attention and other people get jealous by it so they copy the concept to get the same succes. As the original artist, ofcourse this will piss you off, but there is nothing you can do about it. It happens EVERYWHERE. In movies, music, art, clothing, politics etc etc etc. This is what i really hate too. Every person is unique so when u create something it should always be as unique as ur own fantasy, inspiration. This can simply not be the case because many people who create a product, simply do not posses the creativity and knowledge to make it really unique and cool. U can become extremely annoyed by this, but like i said, it wont help anything. Instead, just realise that YOU were the one who started it all and that YOU posses the creativity to make quality stuff. The copycats are in a way saying: Damn man, that guy made something extremely cool, i wish i could come up with that, but i cant so ill copy it and show the concept to others....

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:30:12

At 6/9/04 01:32 PM, EviLDoG wrote:
I prefer the sites which hand pick the good flash from sites around the internet and display them on their page.

In a sense, this website does just that. Tom has the front page movies/games there for a reason, and lets not forget the Toon/Games section as well. You can't even find 1/10th of the stuff on NG there. You have to dig deep to find it.

However, I was suprised to hear that the Audio Portal (which has been somewhat neglected by users) came before the flash portal became automated. <3 to audio.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:36:24

Newgrounds was the first and only flash site Ive been to and is one of the most professional looking sites I have ever seen , well maybe not a couple years ago but now it has grown to be. Its hard to make a site of this magnatude and it is very hard to see all your hard work that took years to do copied in a mere couple of hours. But I guess it was a matter of time till everybody would make or at least try to make a "flash portal" of there own.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:37:09

At 6/9/04 02:30 PM, Crimson_Edge wrote: However, I was suprised to hear that the Audio Portal (which has been somewhat neglected by users) came before the flash portal became automated. <3 to audio.

Huh? The audio portal was only released last year (March 2003, I believe), whereas the flash portal was released on April 6, 2000 (four years ago)).

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:37:25

Hopefully, everything that can possibly be copywritten has been done so by Newgrounds. Otherwise, there's not much they can do. I'm assuming Pico and terms like, BLAM and other Newgrounds-isms can be considered intellectual property and therefore protected by copyrights.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:44:55

At 6/9/04 02:37 PM, liljim wrote: Huh? The audio portal was only released last year (March 2003, I believe), whereas the flash portal was released on April 6, 2000 (four years ago)).
At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: I was receiving so many submissions via email that I worked with my friend Ross (an amazing coder) to build an automated version of "The Portal" (now referred to as the Flash Portal due to the existence of the Audio Portal) that same year.

According to Tom the Audio Portal came out during the same year. The way it is worded also lets one believe that it came out before the Flash Portal.

If I am in error however, please correct me.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:47:09

Aye. I'll be chatting with someone, and they say "ooh, look at this!" and link some ABS or ebaums shite. I alway always always gently steer them to here, and the portal entry.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:49:39

At 6/9/04 02:47 PM, Maus wrote: Aye. I'll be chatting with someone, and they say "ooh, look at this!" and link some ABS or ebaums shite. I alway always always gently steer them to here, and the portal entry.

Ebaums is a different kind of site were you can find "funny" things. Flash just happens to be one of them. Just because one site has the same thing that another has doesn't mean that it is copying.

Sure, Ebaums has taken alot of stuff that was originaly on NG, but they usually don't take it unless it is ALL over the web.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:50:44

I agree with so many who have posted here allready. NG will always be tops and the best about. What interests me though, is that Newgrounbds IS HUGE But by word of mouth literealy.... True flash artists will look about and come acrros NG (those who havent heard it anyway) But for everyone else its when someone asks you "Im bored... know any good sites" and my first reaction is alwats .. "Hey go to newgrounds.com"

And it spreads

But has anyone in the staff department thought about some serious advertisment... and i dont mean on the internet. What about some true advertising for Newgrounds? It could really do wonders for the site. And not just in the USA.. please god so something in the UK at least... there is a vast untapped market for NG all over the world... NG may be biggest portal out there... but is it really enough? I dont think so... it has so much potential for more. Give an advertsing agency a call... especialy with the upcomming Alien Homid... i mean when you leap into the comercial world... you are a business really... and i think like all Good businesses NG needs more.... deserves more

... ehem... did that make sense?

Well i hope someone spots this (not just the fans i mean)

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:55:13

At 6/9/04 02:44 PM, Crimson_Edge wrote:
At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: I was receiving so many submissions via email that I worked with my friend Ross (an amazing coder) to build an automated version of "The Portal" (now referred to as the Flash Portal due to the existence of the Audio Portal) that same year.
According to Tom the Audio Portal came out during the same year. The way it is worded also lets one believe that it came out before the Flash Portal.

You are reading it all wrong. Ignore the part in the ( ) 's. It would ready "...to build an automated version of "The Portal" that same year.

He doesn't say anything about the audio portal being made that year. The audio portal was made more recently by LilJim.

This part: "(now referred to as the Flash Portal due to the existence of the Audio Portal)" is just saying that since the creation of "The Portal" is has become known as the "Flash Portal" becuase of the more recent creation of the "Audio Portal".

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:56:28

At 6/9/04 02:44 PM, Crimson_Edge wrote: According to Tom the Audio Portal came out during the same year. The way it is worded also lets one believe that it came out before the Flash Portal.

As tempted as I am to call you a stupid ass Newbie, im just gonna say you're very wrong and please go away now.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 14:59:59

At 6/9/04 02:44 PM, Crimson_Edge wrote:

You've misunderstood what he wrote. Take out this part of the sentence: (now referred to as the Flash Portal due to the existence of the Audio Portal) and it should make perfect sense to you. He's basically saying that he created the Portal in 2000 and the automated version of the flash portal was released later that same year, but the Portal is now generally referred to as the "Flash Portal" due to the fact that the "Audio Portal" now exists. Make sense?

You are in error! I should know, I scripted the Audio Portal. :)

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:01:12

At 6/9/04 02:55 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Explanation.

Ugh. You beat me to it.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:03:19

Good for you Tom. Finally getting people to realize that NG is completly original, and that most other sites copy NG. I think if any other site should create it's own flashportal they should at least call it somthing other than the portal...Also, they should have different stuff rather than underjudgement or anyother unique portal signs of NG.

www.burstfilms.com does a great job of reacreating it's portal. It is automated and everything but it is called the Warehouse (Name given by me) and istead of being underjudgement, the new flash's are called "in Shipping". If only more Automated flash submission sites did that.....

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:04:58

Lol

NG > everything > Flash Player/Albino Black Sheep

<3

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:05:31

Ahh thank you Wade and Jim. I was reading it as the Audio Portal was made during the same year as the Flash Portal =P.

ViciousMonkey, uncalled for is the least I can say.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:05:41

Don't worry Tom, Newgrounds IS the best site for flash, and I'm 100% sure that more than 9.9/10 of the users here think the same way =)

Need help on beating Alkie Kong 2, brutal mode? click here.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:09:16

At 6/9/04 02:21 PM, I7I2-3-I7I7 wrote: Tom and Ross and James AND Wade have set the standard and continued effort has kept NG #1. Only complacency or lazyness, or nuclear war would change that.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The fact that this site grows at a pace several times faster than the imitators speaks volumes.

Nothing can replace NG in my heart. I was vaguely intrigued by albino blacksheep until I discovered they let anyone submit anything, regardless of ownership. But that was the closest any site has ever come to NG for me, and it didn't hold my attention for long. And after I figured out they were full of shit, I never really went back. I'm not going to support that kind of trickery and bullshit.

Perhaps NG should put something on the Portal page, like "The Net's Original Flash Portal"?

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:09:48

At 6/9/04 02:49 PM, Crimson_Edge wrote: Sure, Ebaums has taken alot of stuff that was originaly on NG, but they usually don't take it unless it is ALL over the web.

My biggest gripe about them is they stamp 'ebaums' on it, like they came up with it. Other than that, you're spot-on. Some of the prank calls ARE pretty funny.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:14:34

I know this is off topic, but can one of you cool admin type people please get rid of my deleted movies? Ill be your best friend and give you candy.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:22:02

At 6/9/04 03:14 PM, ViciousMonkey wrote: I know this is off topic, but can one of you cool admin type people please get rid of my deleted movies? Ill be your best friend and give you candy.

You need to mail Wade ( wade@newgrounds.com ), and sending a list of links would probably help.

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:23:13

Newgrounds is most definitely the most expansice and innovative of all the game sites out there. I remember when my friends first told me about Newgrounds.... the ecstasy of an endless supply of quality games...... thank you very much Tom and Wade....... :')

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:26:22

I'm not too clear on the term 'copyright', but what do these people who host these copycat websites think about when they see this?:

Copycat Rant

Apologies aren't what I look for. Redemption is what I want!

Look at my profile to see a true cockhead! DO IT NOW!

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:28:33

yeah ng is the best in the world. i've seen another site thats just the equvalent of the ng bbs. did you start that as well. yours is far better and has the most time put into it. it's really annoying to see this happen. you were one of the people that made this site so i can only emagine how much it pisses you off. i don't think they should be allowed to get away with site rip offs like that. there is another site that my friend said was good but it will never ever even come near to being as good as your site.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:28:38

Newgrounds are the pioneers. No doubt. Dont worry tom.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:38:16

Maybe you can copyright the portal, if that doesn't work then you can hide the html code I know this site called cluedofan.com that has a banner thingy around every page so whenever you try to look at the code for any page you get the code for the banner (believe me I've tried it) maybe you can contact the webmaster of the site and see how he does it. If you don't ask him then it might just be copying part of his site.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:44:53

As long as there is an internet and there are fans that have a slightly tweaked sense of humor, there will always be a newgrounds.com. Maybe you'll have to revamp the site by adding more features or something but that means it can only get better. Tom Fulp, you are a revolutionary and should be commended for doing such a work as NG. If it wasn't NG there wouldn't be many of these sites with Flash. NG mainstreamed the whole Flash craze. And you shouldn't worry about copycats because you have many dedicated fans that will back you up, and I'm one of them.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:46:59

I remember my submissions before the portal even had 100 cartoons to showcase. My toons were rather crude with the peewee and the levar burton.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:48:39

I feel aimed for some strange,strange reason.
(www.locklegion.com)

BBS Signature