00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

OneCardPony just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Copycat Rant

72,453 Views | 431 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:51:06

At 6/9/04 03:38 PM, Father_Time wrote: I know this site called cluedofan.com that has a banner thingy around every page so whenever you try to look at the code for any page you get the code for the banner (believe me I've tried it)

Right Click -> View Source

You DO see the banner code, but scroll down, it's all there.

Did you Click View -> Source, because that will just show the frameset HTML page.

If you really wanted to block people from stealing stuff (not completely possible), you'd first need to put in a script that blocks people from right clicking. That stops them from savings images and such and also from viewing the source from the Right Click options. To block them from viewing the source via the toolbar, you'll need to either use a server side script (such as perl) so that they don't see anything relevant when they view the source, or have a script that takes off the toolbar for your entire webpage. After that, you'd need to block cacheing of items to the Temporary Internet Files. Then after that, you'd need to use a script that constantly displays a message in the bottom message bar of Internet Explorer, that way, they can't hover over a link and then just enter that address into the address bar. You'd also need to give irrelevant File Names to everything, so people can't type those into the address bar.

Sounds fun eh?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:51:07

Yeah, but you aren't profiting out of Lock Legion.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:53:18

At 6/9/04 03:26 PM, OVlez wrote: I'm not too clear on the term 'copyright', but what do these people who host these copycat websites think about when they see this?:

Well said. I'm a big fan of Newgrounds and someday not very soon, I will try to submit something.

I do agree, with this rant, but I honestly think Newgrounds should be more agressive and enforce these copycat morons for breach of copyright. I don't mean, deleting every other similar site, since that would be just impossible nowadays, but the ones who gone a step too far such as this one and anything similar:

http://www.flipsided.com/portal/

However, If you created a site yourself, programmed yourself, and knows the remarkable similarity to Newgrounds and admit you took the inspiration from NG, as well as admiting where you took the flashes from ( most likely NG again ) then I don't mind it.

Otherwise, you better have a damn good reason ( unlikely )

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:55:42

At 6/9/04 03:53 PM, LNF wrote:

However, If you created a site yourself, programmed yourself, and knows the remarkable similarity to Newgrounds and admit you took the inspiration from NG, as well as admiting where you took the flashes from ( most likely NG again ) then I don't mind it.

The Lock Portal was programmed by Trash and only has our movies on it, so it is above board :)

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:57:51

If you had gotten a copyright/patent or something for the flash portal idea in the beginning, maybe we wouldn't have all these banners because you'd be pulling in money from these copycat sites.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:58:36

I hate people who copy other people's site ideas NG will always be the number on flash site for me Tom and I love being a part of it

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 15:59:06

At 6/9/04 03:58 PM, SteveZarebski wrote: I hate people who copy other people's site ideas NG will always be the number on flash site for me Tom and I love being a part of it

Stop sucking up :P

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:00:57

i am very sorry to say this...

I VISIT COPYCAT SITES! NG is blocked by my schools filter, so i have to go to copycat sites :(

however i do go on NG when i get home, and i have read the entire history of ng and all that other bakground stuff (interesting read to pass time while ur bored), and always knew NG was the first site to have a portal, it is still the best :P but if filter was sorted im sure ur visitor numbers would be much higher lol

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:02:01

And then people who invented art portals would say newgrounds is in breach of their copyrights and claim newgrounds to be copycats?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:04:27

I've never visited another Flash Portal site, nor do I care to. And I can't imagine why any NG user would even bother looking elsewhere. Without having seen them, I'm willing to be that even though they're copied from NG, they aren't nearly as good. Plus, your core members at NG know that NG actually cares about its users, not just about making money, which is another thing that I bet the copycats fall short of. I can understand your frustration Tom, I really can, but think about this...........

Do you think those sites have the same loyal fanbase that you guys do? They may have the look and functionality, but that doesn't mean they've succeeded in copying the community, spirit, or intentions of NG.

There's a lot of us who are here to stay and who will ONLY post to NG (with exception to my online portfolio).

Many of us have said it before and I'll say it again, we appreciate all you've done for the Flash animators community and we'll do our best to support NG long-term.

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:06:03

At 6/9/04 03:48 PM, F-13_TrashLock wrote: I feel aimed for some strange,strange reason.
(www.locklegion.com)

I do understand the reason for you comment. I honestly think your flash portal does look a bit different, but then again, so does your site. Not that original, just a bit different. Through you are a copycat, you did limited your portal and didn't go too far unlike most of the flash hosting scum that steals stuff and say "these are OUR games"

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:08:40

At 6/9/04 02:49 PM, Crimson_Edge wrote:
At 6/9/04 02:47 PM, Maus wrote: Aye. I'll be chatting with someone, and they say "ooh, look at this!" and link some ABS or ebaums shite. I alway always always gently steer them to here, and the portal entry.
Ebaums is a different kind of site were you can find "funny" things. Flash just happens to be one of them. Just because one site has the same thing that another has doesn't mean that it is copying.

Sure, Ebaums has taken alot of stuff that was originaly on NG, but they usually don't take it unless it is ALL over the web.

I hate those sites, always feeding on the creative ideas of others, and fucking getting paid thru advertising. Those sites probably made more money off my stuff than I have. Black Albino does the same thing. I don't go to them. Thanks for telling me about Ebaum.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:09:15

At 6/9/04 03:55 PM, CommunistLock wrote:
The Lock Portal was programmed by Trash and only has our movies on it, so it is above board :)

Sorry, I didn't knew that. Yet that thought did go through my mind.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:09:40

Heh, just read this on Flipsided:

Our Story:
A highschool teenager, named Jesse Taylor, was bored one day, mainly because the weather was crappy, and he could not skateboard nor snowboard. Just that time of the month I guess. Well anyways due to his lack of entertainment, he decided he would bring the entertainment to him. He thought that an entertainment website would do the job, so he just simply made one, at first it really blowed, but then with his 'motivation' he decided to keep working on it, mainly because he was doing it to put smiles on the visitors faces. After that moment, he got all excited and worked on it some more, and some more, and that it how it got to be a website like it is today.

I guess that "motivation" was Newgrounds, yes?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:10:27

Don't worry Tom, everyone knows you made it first! Yours is also the best and always will be. Your portal isnt just "another flash portal", it still is THE flash portal. I totally give newgrounds credit for the flash portal idea, which my site also has. We took your idea, but I just wanted a small flash submission area on my site. My site was one of the first to mimic your flash portal, but as you can see, it still is NOTHING compared to the newgrounds flash portal and never will be.

http://www.smosh.com/gateway.php the link to the flash portal I made, if you want to laugh at how horrible it is. Newgrounds will always be the dominating leader of flash portals. So don't sweat it.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:14:59

At 6/9/04 04:10 PM, smoshdotcom wrote:

We took your idea, but I just wanted a small flash submission area on my site. My site was one of the first to mimic your flash portal

You say you give credit, do you mean just saying it when people bring it up? Why not be at least a little more fair and put a credit on each page that mimics newgrounds?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:20:16

I will do that next chance I get! thanks.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:44:23

At 6/9/04 04:10 PM, smoshdotcom wrote:
http://www.smosh.com/gateway.php the link to the flash portal I made, if you want to laugh at how horrible it is. Newgrounds will always be the dominating leader of flash portals. So don't sweat it.

Hey, your flash portal IS actually quite crappy, and changing the name to flash "gateway" doesn't make me fell any different, but your site looks awesome man and you do admit NG superiority, your one of the good guys.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:48:02

I have added newgrounds.com to the "flash portal" pages on my site.

I also wanted to mention that you said "and now other webmasters simply copy the html code, paste it into their own page, and edit the values to submit to their database instead of ours." which is TOTALLY NOT TRUE. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is NO way to steal the code and just change the values to submit to another database. I spent 2 weeks coding my portal to look like yours and I'm sure the other sites did too. You can't just steal the PHP code because it is hidden when displayed on a site.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:52:47

I agree Tom. Is there some way to block people from viewing the html codes though?

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:56:26

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:56:48

At 6/9/04 04:52 PM, -noir- wrote: I agree Tom. Is there some way to block people from viewing the html codes though?

that wouldn't affect anything because the php file is not shown in the HTML source. at least not to my knowledge of these things.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 16:58:22

At 6/9/04 03:51 PM, Bickster wrote: If you really wanted to block people from stealing stuff...

I already went over how to block, -noir-

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:19:41

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote:
My rant was inspired by this thread.

That site is a complete ripoff. Word by word too.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:21:13

It's kind of sad in a way that artist actually submit their work to these ripoff sites, such as stickslaughter.com. They're reaching a community of about 500 people, 20 or so of which will actually be on at a given time. They believe these sites to be "original" and "a cool idea," but wish their work would reach more people. Oh well.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:27:17

i would never go to another flash community website.

this is the first, the best, and if i'm going to contribute in any way, it's going to be to this place.

i see other flash portals as kind of a 'you can't get your shit onto newgrounds, so come submit here' type of thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:30:12

At 6/9/04 04:56 PM, alienature wrote: Speaking of Copycat:

http://www.monkeysugar.com/flash/flash3.html
http://www.monkeysugar.com/flash/flash1.html

On monkeysugar, The Flash featuring Nene is definitely stolen, is it not? Are there certain Flash file rippers out there that can yank a Flash movie off of a page and save it on the hard drive?

Surely, Tom wouldn't approve of any of his work being featured on another site. Why would he? Even though he's not making any money off of that particular Flash, he could still sue, couldn't he?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:30:37

Is it just me, or does anybody else smell copyright infringement?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:35:57

At 6/9/04 03:59 PM, F-13_TrashLock wrote:
At 6/9/04 03:58 PM, SteveZarebski wrote: I hate people who copy other people's site ideas NG will always be the number on flash site for me Tom and I love being a part of it
Stop sucking up :P

What the hell's your problem? If people want to declare their insane love for Newgrounds, gee, this MIGHT be the most appropriate place to do it. You seem fairly bitter and jealous...

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-09 17:36:53

Now this is quite funny!

I don't why, but everytime I think about something of a project I'd like to start, and th efollowing day of having a thought, I visit newgrounds, and I find the topic covered in the BBS!

Crap!
No shit, yesterday I was in bed, thinking that I wanted to do a flashportal just like newgrounds one, but starting little by little, with like 1GB webspace and stuff...
That is because I am quite a fan of newgrounds for a long time, ironically I came here through a flash hosted on albinoblacksheep!
So you see, you have no need in arguing about that matter, Tom, but quite good you reminded us of the fact only NG has "the" potral. (as if we didn't know ;) )

But back to my portal idea, the setting is like this:
This is not meant as selfpromotion!

I am the vocalist of a band called "Project: Agent Orange", and at the same time I am the webmaster of our site. Now, since my Co-webmaster has left the ship, starting his own site, i have all the work on our site, maintaining and stuff, even it being a really really small site, and I like it that way...
But still, our other Bandmembers who know shit about HTML or Internet or publishing, always have something to rant about the page. Now that I have tried to make the page in PHP for better showcasing our music, they say it doesn't look any professional! (I used PHPNuke, cause I am trying to learn Php and work with it at the same time, sorry for not being coding myself...)

So I decided to do something for my needs (which are Flash and Music and maybe philosophical stuff ^-^), and revert the site to html again, and then start some "portal" similar to this very holy NG Portal one... mayeb not automated, maybe without voting ability...

I will NEVER expect it to get 1/1000 of the users and artists here, and I will only do this as a part-time hobby thingy, for showcasing my and somebodies else hard work (in flash).
Actaually I WAS from the VERY beginning thinking of crediting NG for hosting the creativity in the net, and never thought of spending less time on NG. Now please let me mention some other fact: Since I live in Germany, and I am a portuguese guy, I don´t think it would happen that I would try to take the flash from your site to showcase it on mine, although I would like some feature like Rss-feeding ones Favourite List...
I would more like to showcase work from people around my habitat, just for fun and not for profit (or if, only to host the site).

I find it pretty lame for such a feckin big site like your being ranting about some small sites who dont even get a atom of the style you inherit... NG is a wonderful place to be user, know one thing: Since I am a NG Member I don´t even watch TV anymore! Serious on that. So stop having such heavy thoughts about this, you defined "Flash Portal" as a term noone mistakes nowadays!
Also I don´t remember you crediting the developers of PHP, nor Flash, still you use them as the common tools they are. OK, NG is for free, but try to understand what I mean plz.
So:
Be happy about it, and proud of your work, at least we are.
And stop being afraid of someone copying something off that has become COMMON nowadays in the net. And YOU created the very
first one. Like God did with Adam!