00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

OneCardPony just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Copycat Rant

72,451 Views | 431 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 13:28:24

At 6/10/04 12:46 PM, BlingBlingMan wrote: interesting side note - i first discovered newgrounds through a stolen NG assassin movie, which still contained a link to NG when it was stolen and put straight onto the other site. so... stealing isn't all bad :p

so long as the thieves are lazy to remove the link ; )

i always view actionscript (including other flash content) as Open-Source, but i've been reversing since F4 and proud of it, kuz macromedia continue to release the flash format, so it's no biggie for decompiler companies, then for us to look under the hood, and this is why i've supported macromedia flash -and bought their product. HTML, Javascript are totally O-S. PHP is popular kuz it doesn't take a genius to take something outta the box and mold it to something we're after. CMS's (bbs's) are everywhere already.... BUT this is still early days!

Considering that a lot of what we make can be cut and pasted, it's upto the developer to either catch a lead on the market (cash in quick) or to invest time making their code a rubics-cube of puzzles and hidden messages that any lazy bod wouldn't have the time or skillz to solve.. but it's a losing battle..

*looks around the net and finds tuts on how to do just about everyhing*

More and more php/database hook-in's and stuff slow the haxxors down, but it's like spending time to buy some time.. :~P

Anywho, no matter how much work we put into a site or a flash, it's still miniscule compared to the effort put into designing our computers, building the whole interweb infrastructure, or developping flash or php etc as someone has pointed out.

I'm in the same boat as far as time invested in insecure scripts - but that was my choice fro the beginning (as i've just explained). While we could sit around and discuss a solution, others are just runnig at the problem head on.. Our challenge is to pay the rent or find enjoymemt doing what we're good at.

"If it's on the Web - it's insecure!" JUDGE..

"Linus showed us the way, but it's a hard act to follow.." - ..DREDD

..so NO! Intellectual property rights went out with the printing press -- go figure?!

p.s. Happy 70th Donald Duck!!! ^_^

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 13:32:25

At 6/10/04 01:26 PM, AgeOfArmageddon wrote:
At 6/10/04 01:16 PM, mossy1 wrote: the the fuck cares? if some other person wants to have a flash portal does it really matter who thought it up?its an insignificant little thing that has no real importance
really? I thought it was the Fulp's business and livelihood!
Where will NG be if Flash Portals become as common as Messege Boards?!

yeah and good look to the fulps but why does everyone else care so much? Everyone is complaining because people are copying "the portal" .in the long run does it matter? does it effect you? why should you care?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 13:43:06

At 6/9/04 01:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: So once again, I just had to say it.

just because its the original doesnt mean you have the rights to it. a good idea isnt copyrighted, it never can be. you cant say "i hold the right to this because it was my idea" because if that was the case how come there are so many car companies? they shouldnt be able to produce cars since they werent the first.....should they?

its an unreasonable rant tom, seriously im sorry to say it. but you are being very immature about this.

plenty of people have copied off of my friends site, pilot-doofy who owns mustywindows.com but he doesnt care. people copy his wooden signed navigation bar now right and left....

whats the big deal? well he is planning on making 4 portals for videos, mp3s, pics, and flash......ill be sure that he says "tom fulp is the god of flash portals so this is a credit to him!" will that be okay?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 13:46:59

Tom i've been with you since there was assasin and i can honestly say you were the first to have a flash portal. AND FOR THOSE WHO TRY AND COPY NEWGROUNDS YOU ARE FILTH AND I HOPE A 300 lBS GORILLA CUTS YOUR BALLS OFF

Copycat Rant

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 13:54:48

At 6/10/04 01:46 PM, Acidflame65 wrote: Tom i've been with you since there was assasin and i can honestly say you were the first to have a flash portal. AND FOR THOSE WHO TRY AND COPY NEWGROUNDS YOU ARE FILTH AND I HOPE A 300 lBS GORILLA CUTS YOUR BALLS OFF

okay you have been here from the start and all you have is 1 post??? did you finally learn how to use a message board.

Michael Garza Show is on YouTube - Rumble - Spotify

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 14:12:20

At 6/10/04 01:57 PM, SharredPrism wrote: The internet only needs one Flash Portal.

Oh man, that right there makes me physically sick. With users like you, it's no wonder people are looking for alternatives to NG.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 14:23:57

Heh, and to think that I started getting involved in this around 1999 when I got an email about Assassin which let you kill celebrities. First one I played was killing Pikachu. Always will love that one :) Of course, this was before I knew anything about the portal, but I'm hooked. This was the first place I've ever seen The Portal, so I'm sticking with Tom's history lesson. Long Live Newgrounds!

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 14:28:03

At 6/10/04 01:54 PM, -azrag- wrote: okay you have been here from the start and all you have is 1 post??? did you finally learn how to use a message board.

Why do you bother to instigate? Can you at least stay on topic? It's nice to see that you are observant, but really, it's not a big issue. So please, don't start something in Tom's thread.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 14:33:16

At 6/10/04 01:18 PM, flipsidedcom wrote:
I was inspired from the site and I added a link on every portal page. I only borrowed ideas, and not the PHP code.

C'mon... FS-Bot listing the top five submissions of the day? now what the hell does that remind me of? Oh yeah! YOU BEING A TOTAL rip-off... come up with something more original and I'll believe you coded the whole thing without stealing from NG.

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 15:38:25

At 6/10/04 02:33 PM, Eques_Ardor wrote: C'mon... FS-Bot listing the top five submissions of the day? now what the hell does that remind me of? Oh yeah! YOU BEING A TOTAL rip-off... come up with something more original and I'll believe you coded the whole thing without stealing from NG.

Sigh. This has been said at least ten times.

You CAN NOT STEAL PHP. It simply doesn't happen. Unless he has FTP access to the NG servers, which he doesn't, he didn't steal the PHP. It's IMPOSSIBLE. JS and HTML on the other hand, maybe.. I don't know. I don't care.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 15:57:24

I'm kind of new here. I joined only a month ago but I am enthusiastic about a web community of animators, especially since it's the profession I'm going into myself. This site has given me inspiration for my own movies as well as made me face the terrible prospect of my future competition.
As an animator, I am a big fish in a small pond, this allows me to compare my work with others to rate and better myself. So I appreciate the portal and the light hearted atmosphere and especially all it's done for me. I hadn't really thought about copycat sites because I've been going here for a few years now, before copycats were popular, and the news is pretty infuriating.
Newgrounds is a one of a kind thing, or it should be. All of the copycat sites out there should at least give credit to you. It's easy to see why you would be pissed about having something so original copied so many times, it makes your original idea seem like another knockoff.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 16:01:14

At 6/10/04 03:57 PM, redpoet wrote: All of the copycat sites out there should at least give credit to you.

It has already been done. Have you read the entire thread?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 16:12:59

To be honest Tom, fair play you made newgrounds its original blah blah al the otehrs are copies..maybe...anyway thats not the point. I think its just a shame that often now u seem to only post stuff on the front page when you need to feel good about ureself, because immediately after your post you have recieved 200 "o tom your the best, newgrounds is the best, kiss ass brown nose fuck tom's ring."
What does everyone else think?

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 16:16:10

Yes, i meen, Tom, Newgrounds is propa famous in the UK lad, no one ever talks about them other shitty sites with portals, I think everyone knows that this is THE site that first introduced "The Flash Portal".

So all's you gotta say to them copies, is, FUCK YOU, YA BITCHES! Perhaps get your Uzi's out and hunt the webmasters down ha ha </joke>

Well anyways, NG will always be the best, so you've got nothing to worry about.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 16:25:01

At 6/9/04 01:24 PM, NinjaSpectre wrote: NewGrounds will always be the one and only.

He is right noone can imitate and if they do we will kick there ass

Copycat Rant

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 16:52:34

At 6/10/04 04:12 PM, Xorx wrote: To be honest Tom, fair play you made newgrounds its original blah blah al the otehrs are copies..maybe...anyway thats not the point. I think its just a shame that often now u seem to only post stuff on the front page when you need to feel good about ureself, because immediately after your post you have recieved 200 "o tom your the best, newgrounds is the best, kiss ass brown nose fuck tom's ring."
What does everyone else think?

I totally fucking agree. I think that Tom is a little insecure and requires a little bit of lovin' from his avid followers. Bit sad really.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 17:11:17

Well...

I think that every creative mind hates copycats.
And I mean every creative mind.
If its just a copy of your idea or your style.
Its just so low.
I hate it.

Copycat Rant

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 17:19:27

Asshole

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 17:31:34

What you calling me an asshole for bitch? You wanna step outside :P

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 17:35:10

I just noticed that most of the people that have replied to this thread have under 25 posts.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 18:15:10

Most of them say that they have been long time newgrounds members and they only have a few posts. They could also be the same person spamming this thread. Who knows.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 18:16:41

All these damn ripoff sites piss me the fuck off. It's true, too. Newgrounds is the ORIGINAL. Tom Fulp invented the flash portal. All these other sites have been rippin off this for years. I have been using Newgrounds since it was first made like 8 or 9 years ago. Back then, this was the ONLY flash portal on the web. Then, all these other sites come in and start imitating NG. Total bullshit. alright, I'm done. I threw in my 2 cents.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 18:41:49

DUDE ! you freakin' worked your butt off , and coodose to you , I got your back on this one , those freakin' wussy's arent creative enough to think of somethin' like this , I mean damn ya know , I may have used your source code once or twice or test things out , but crap I don't go around the internet sayin' this is my freakin' work , I mean everything I even put a link to , I fully support newgrounds , I mean dang how can they say it's their own when it's your's you gotta freakin' copy right the structure in which the portal is made , by copyrighting the code for it , then the mother freaks can't steal it from ya ,.... in any case dude , you freakin' rock!
sorry , I tried to go an intire post without swearing.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 18:44:36

At 6/10/04 05:35 PM, flipsidedcom wrote: I just noticed that most of the people that have replied to this thread have under 25 posts.

At 6/10/04 05:44 PM, Deck_head_tottie wrote: Please, explain the significance of that.

Here, I'LL explain the significance.

Even people that haven't posted much before are pissed-off enough at how blatantly that fuckhead rips off NG to want to say something about it. It's called support, something that flipsided isn't getting much of (except from Bedn, which isn't exactly a shining example of quality endorsement).

Looky here, a piss-poor xerox copy of the NG frontpage:

Copycat Rant

BBS Signature

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 18:58:43

In order to love a website, you must post on the boards? I never knew this. I guess I must be a n00b, seeing as this is only my sixth post. Thanks for the information, I'll write it down sometime..

As for why I don't post here, I never liked these boards. Besides, I'm always posting at OverClocked Remix and Anime Remix.

But hey, wait... Check my profile. Looks like I joined in 2001. I started coming here in late 1999, but I didn't sign up for a long while, because i didn't see the point. Oh, but I guess this account has been hacked by this mysterious conspirator out to get you! Please..

Bottom line is postcounts don't mean shit, and to assume all of us are one person is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week. There is no conspiracy against you, regardless of what you may think. You're not that important.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 19:03:16

Those other sites are gay. Super gay. I saw all the other portals but i only use newgrounds. All the other portals disgust me. To me Newgrounds is still "The Portal" All those other gay copycats deserve to get their asses kicked. I bet you theres still hundreds of thousands of people loyal to newgrounds.Crap, This just gets me so pissed off even though im only a fan of newgrounds noone important. someguy.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 19:07:49

8 pages and still on topic, this must be a new record

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 19:22:43

I guess it all comes down to art. This site being the original, Tom's masterpiece, is something he would like to take credit for.
But lets remember being first to come up with an idea doesn't necessarily make it the best (i.e. airplanes). However in this case, I think we should be crediting, not criticizing.

BTW, don't be alarmed if what i just wrote may seem just a bit confusing to you, it does to me. I thought i'd add my 2 cents.

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 19:25:53

example of a copy cat site..

http://www.lavagarden.com/

and look..

http://www.newgrounds.com/gold/profile/template.php3?id=354179

using your resources to advertise his site.. bad the fucking bastard!!

Response to Copycat Rant 2004-06-10 19:28:50

most of you people cant even code <html> thats sad. I belive Jesse when he says he used his own individual code. and he just used the idea of the portal. Jesse made it shut up go to http://www.flipsided.com its still a great site!!!

Michael Garza Show is on YouTube - Rumble - Spotify

BBS Signature