00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StickmanMarkinson just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Reviewers Club

111,908 Views | 2,124 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-11 10:51:07

At 3/11/06 06:12 AM, wastedwizard wrote: Hi i would like to join this club, i know i have not done a lot of reviews but if you look i have started doing a lot more over the last week or so. I hope you will accept me but i have to go now for a bit but i will be back later to see if i have been accepted.

Well, if you're trying to make a good amount of reviews now, that's fine. :) Welcome to the Reviewers Club.

At 3/11/06 08:07 AM, Lidov wrote: Thank you, but I was crazy reviewing just for one day, and actually, in this day, I have finally made 20 reviews. I hope that today I will also write some, I want to get to 600 on monday, lets see what happens. Good luck with getting to your spree Bahamut ;-)

Thanks and yeah, I went on a reviewing spree today. Made 15 reviews which is pretty good.

» View Your Flash Portal Reviews (772) -- With Responses Only (374)

5 more reviews and I'll have 777 reviews, which is what I should've got arounf 2 months ago! >:( I got 1 response and hopefully I'll get some more responses later.

As for me, I have finally gotten 200 review responses.

Congrats on getting 200 responses. I gotta try and get to 400 responses so I'd be out of the 300's.

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-11 11:36:03

I've started reviewing today and made six of them so far, one of them got deleted when the submission was blammed though.

Anywho, it is good to be back on that track. :-P

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-11 16:05:58

At 3/11/06 10:51 AM, Bahamut- wrote: Thanks and yeah, I went on a reviewing spree today. Made 15 reviews which is pretty good.

Yay, good for you for going on that spree, 15 really is good.

» View Your Flash Portal Reviews (772) -- With Responses Only (374)

Well, responses take time to come, so I am sure some will come to you later on. Anyway, good luck with writting 5 reviews.

Congrats on getting 200 responses.

Thank you.

I gotta try and get to 400 responses so I'd be out of the 300's.

You gotta!
Anyway, today I have written 3 reviews, which is not that great, but at least it is better than what I write in most of the days, which is nothing. Hopefully, I will still manage to get to 600 by monday.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-12 05:55:05

Hey everyone, im posting less on the bbs and spending more time on the portal and reviewing, im also improving on posting somewhat, so how is everyones reviewing...???

At 3/11/06 11:36 AM, Andersson wrote: I've started reviewing today and made six of them so far, one of them got deleted when the submission was blammed though.

Cool, welcome to the world of reviewing heh, no but really welcome, yep i have noticed a few reviews being deleted here and there, not the UJ ones but other ones from deleted movies and stuff...

At 3/11/06 06:12 AM, wastedwizard wrote: Hi i would like to join this club,

Welcome to the club, you will enjoy this club and remember helpful reviews are the best in my opinion...

At 3/10/06 05:36 PM, Lidov wrote: And Lidov has finally made it! Lidov has written 15 reviews in one day! That's right folks, not 1, not 2, not 5, not 10, but 15 review. And he hasn't written them in a week, not in three days or in a couple of days, but in one day alone.

Nice, and you rhyme hehe, no but really nice work, keep at it, dont stop now, maybe tomarrow it will be double that...

At 3/11/06 08:07 AM, Lidov wrote: Thank you, but I was crazy reviewing just for one day, and actually, in this day, I have finally made 20 reviews.

Nice...
Looks like you are on a roll keep going crazy reviewer...

At 3/11/06 04:05 PM, Lidov wrote: Anyway, today I have written 3 reviews, which is not that great

Aww man what happened you were on a roll hehe, its all good,
Anyways congrats on the 200 Responses...

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-12 06:33:07

» View Your Flash Portal Reviews (772) -- With Responses Only (375)

Well, I'm disappointed! I only got 1 more response. I was hoping to see my response count at around 380. Bastard authors, especially the ones that respond to some of their first few reviews and stop! >:(

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-12 07:53:43

^^; sorry it took me so long to respond to mine, I haven't been looking as much lately

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-12 07:59:37

At 3/12/06 05:55 AM, XwaynecoltX wrote: Nice, and you rhyme hehe, no but really nice work, keep at it, dont stop now, maybe tomarrow it will be double that...

Thank you very much. About that, I don't think that I will succeed, but I will still try, my semi-goal for now is to reach to 600 reviews by monday and to reach to 650 by the end of the month. I don't believe I will succeed though.

Nice...
Looks like you are on a roll keep going crazy reviewer...

Yeah, I was on a roll for one day, I hope that some day i will reach a level which would allow me to write a big ammount of reviews every day.

Aww man what happened you were on a roll hehe, its all good,

Yeah, I know, I woke up at 14:35 that day and I was tired the whole day, it was very annoying that i have only written 3 reviews yesterday. lets see what happens today.

Anyways congrats on the 200 Responses...

Thank you very much.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-12 09:42:21

I finally defeated laziness.

For now...

» View Your Flash Portal Reviews (777) -- With Responses Only (375)

I'll continue reviewing once Auz makes his next top 100 reviewers update.

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-12 14:19:04

At 3/5/06 08:03 AM, milinko959 wrote: » View Your Flash Portal Reviews (900) -- With Responses Only (272)
just hit 900, but still waiting for a few responses. It's been really slow lately

Hehe very nice, congrats on the 900 and good luck with getting to 1000 =)

At 3/5/06 03:34 PM, Major_punk wrote: Anyway for me I just hit 300 reviews, not much of a big deal but in the last week I've gained over 40 reviews. The fastest ever for me so I'm in a good mood. ^_^

And congrats to you on the 300 as well.

At 3/6/06 02:12 PM, Dragon- wrote: Sorry, I missed that bit when I made my post. Anyway, all I gotta say is, wow. When he gets 1000 reviews, he'll be the 19th user to get 1k everything. Now I feel very encouraged to try and review a lot. If I start to get on my way to 1000 reviews, I'd be the 20th user to 1k everything and I feel that would be very special.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but according to my list he would be the 41st to reach 1000 reviews. It´s possible that I missed a few people, so there might be even more. Still being the 42nd with 1000 reviews is deffinatly not bad =)

At 3/8/06 03:19 AM, XwaynecoltX wrote: Im trying a new way of Reviewing, it has 3 things, its in the last few reviews i have done , please check them out aand let me know what you think, is good, better, confusing what???

Looks pretty nice. It´s not confusing at all or anything and I agree with Major_punk that it´s much more attractive to read this way.

At 3/10/06 05:36 PM, Lidov wrote: And Lidov has finally made it! Lidov has written 15 reviews in one day!

Woah that´s a lot. My record is still 5 a day which I got twice. Okay well I wrote 17 on my first day on NG, but those reviews were effortless one liners.

At 3/11/06 08:07 AM, Lidov wrote: As for me, I have finally gotten 200 review responses.

Congrats

At 3/12/06 09:42 AM, Bahamut7 wrote: » View Your Flash Portal Reviews (777) -- With Responses Only (375)

And congrats to you as well on those nice numbers.

As for me, I´m still going pretty slow. I only wrote two so far this month and I haven´t received a single respond in ages. I just rarely see something these days that I absolutely want to review.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-12 14:22:11

At 3/12/06 02:19 PM, Auz wrote: Sorry to dissapoint you, but according to my list he would be the 41st to reach 1000 reviews. It´s possible that I missed a few people, so there might be even more. Still being the 42nd with 1000 reviews is deffinatly not bad =)

Umm, I meant 1000 for each stat, I'm not talking about just reviews, all 5 stats.

Thank you Auz. Next review number to get to, 800 reviews. Not bad, I'll only need to make 23 reviews. I'm going to stop reviewing until you make your update (which is why I'm Bahamut7 right now. Afro_Stud suggested me to change my name for a bit).

As for me, I´m still going pretty slow. I only wrote two so far this month and I haven´t received a single respond in ages. I just rarely see something these days that I absolutely want to review.

When I want to try and review, I just try and find a short flash. Short flash, easy to watch and review, I think.

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-13 08:14:02

At 3/12/06 02:19 PM, Auz wrote: Woah that´s a lot. My record is still 5 a day which I got twice. Okay well I wrote 17 on my first day on NG, but those reviews were effortless one liners.

Thank you, this is a lot, too bad it was just a one time thing. On september and maybe October as well, it was a period of time in which I wrote about 20 reviews a day. However, if you don't consider crappy reviews in the record, so this is my record. ;-)

Congrats

Thank you.

At 3/12/06 09:42 AM, Bahamut7 wrote: » View Your Flash Portal Reviews (777) -- With Responses Only (375)

Yesterday I have written 7 reviews, one of them I made without expeting a reply, but I got a reply in spite of that. I reviewed the movie "spies" which got the daily and front page and he responded to my review. These kinds of events are making me so happy :-D

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-13 14:40:22

Well i got 50 reviews over the weekend to be honest a small number but it is a start and now i have decided to start review a great deal more like i have done for the past week i want to do about 3 a day and it is this club that has inspired me to do soo, i thank you a lot.

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-13 15:06:49

» View Your Flash Portal Reviews (777) -- With Responses Only (381)

Well, 6 more responses gained, which I am very happy with. I will be even happier if I got 8 more responses, which'll get me to just over 50%.

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-14 05:37:10

At 3/13/06 02:40 PM, wastedwizard wrote: Well i got 50 reviews over the weekend to be honest a small number but it is a start and now i have decided to start review a great deal more like i have done for the past week i want to do about 3 a day and it is this club that has inspired me to do soo, i thank you a lot.

Firstly, 50 is not a low number of reviews, most of the people, even the massive reviewers in the top 100 list, review less than that. Secondly, I am glad that we inspired you to write 3 reviews a day, which is a very good phase for reviewing. Howevere, be careful, I once wrote a lot of reviews every day, and one day I decided that I don't have time for this, so I stopped. Since then, I don't have a steady phase. So, I say, don't be soft on yourself, if you miss one day, you may miss the other and then it is going to be as hard as hell to get back.
Also, if you don't mind, do me a small favour and try to review a bit more than 3 lines each review. I have read some of your reviews, and to tell you the truth, you pretty much cover a lot of subjects in every review. However, you do not explain what you say too much, you say things like "The graphics were good, plain and simple and the animation smooth". Say why the graphics was good so that the artist can work the same way next time. Also, style is a pretty nasty word, because no-one really knows what it means as a catagory, so avoid from using it. You may not accept this, for this is just an advise, your choice.

As for me, I screwed up my semi-gaol and wrote only 1 review while I had to write 20. I feel like I am loosing my semi-spree, which is very bad. However, there is still hope for the bigger goal which is 650 reviews by the first of May. I have also gained an other response from Rupee Clock's new submission, which is good.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-14 13:49:26

At 3/14/06 05:37 AM, -Kraken- wrote: Firstly, 50 is not a low number of reviews, most of the people, even the massive reviewers in the top 100 list, review less than that. Secondly, I am glad that we inspired you to write 3 reviews a day, which is a very good phase for reviewing. Howevere, be careful, I once wrote a lot of reviews every day, and one day I decided that I don't have time for this, so I stopped. Since then, I don't have a steady phase. So, I say, don't be soft on yourself, if you miss one day, you may miss the other and then it is going to be as hard as hell to get back.

Thanks for the good feedback, if i end up not getting three (like today i will get two as i have been busy) then i will not stop i will just say, right i will have to do a extra one another day.

Also, if you don't mind, do me a small favour and try to review a bit more than 3 lines each review. I have read some of your reviews, and to tell you the truth, you pretty much cover a lot of subjects in every review. However, you do not explain what you say too much, you say things like "The graphics were good, plain and simple and the animation smooth". Say why the graphics was good so that the artist can work the same way next time. Also, style is a pretty nasty word, because no-one really knows what it means as a catagory, so avoid from using it. You may not accept this, for this is just an advise, your choice.

No i like criticism and looking at my reviews you are right thanks for the advice and i will start using that from this moment onwards also i will try to make my reviews longer. Thanks!

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-14 15:28:29

At 3/14/06 01:49 PM, wastedwizard wrote: Thanks for the good feedback, if i end up not getting three (like today i will get two as i have been busy) then i will not stop i will just say, right i will have to do a extra one another day.

This is not good enough, if you do not review at all in one day, and you say "tommorow I shall review for today as well", you may not do it also tommorow. If you let go on yourself once, and I am telling you this from personal experiance, you will continue letting go and you will never get anything done. I'd suggest you, however, if you can't find time, to write at least one review each day, to make it a routine. Try to avoide writting one review for a lot of days in a row, because that will screw things up for you.
Once again, just an advice, you don't have to accept it.

No i like criticism and looking at my reviews you are right thanks for the advice and i will start using that from this moment onwards also i will try to make my reviews longer. Thanks!

I have read your latest review, and it was a lot better. However, I have found some things which needs to be improved. usually, I would have told you to review one of Bezman's flashes, but it seems like he is no longer responding to reviews, due to his recent inactiveness.
Just making the reviews longer doesn't mean a lot, it is the quality of the reviews, and not their quantity that matters. It is correct that writing longer reviews shows that you are willing to put more time to it and more effort, but as long as the review doesn't contain a lot, it is worth almost nothing.
About your review, it was pretty nice, but there was things which, as I said before, needs to be improved:

"I liked this game a lot and it is a bit addictive"- this is a pretty good start, summing it whole up in a short sentance at the beginning is a very good opening.
"The graphics were decent but i felt could have been better and also maybe more levels could have been added."- Firstly, by the graphics was decent, what exactly do you mean? By 'I felt it could have been a lot better' what do you think should be improved? Is the spaceship badly drawn? Are the rocks? Secondly, you have attached two sentances which have no relation to each other together. About the more levels could have been added thing, it is fine.
"The start had very good graphics but was nothing to do with the game."- this is a very unclear sentance. How come the graphics in the beginning had nothing to do with the game? What do you mean by beginning? What do you mean by having something to do with the game? You should clarify this sentance a bit, do not spare words.
"Another thing you could improve is the start menu as it is a bit plain and maybe a points system for how many rocks you shoot would make it better"- Exept for once again attaching two sentances which are unrelated, this was pretty fine. However, what do you mean by a plain start menu? Is it in the graphics aspect? The content aspect?
"Well this is a good start and i hope you improve it as it could make a very good game."- this is fine as an ending sentance, but I didn't quite get what you meant by 'start' in this sentance. About the rest of it, it is a very good closing sentance, telling him to put attention to your ideas for improvement, this is what reviewing is all about.
It seems like you have improved your reviews since the last review of your which I have read, however, the review quality is still not around the very good zone. I suggest that you read my comments and try to learn some from them and improve your reviews.
I give you 'B-' by Lidov scales, try to get to A.
Again, just an advice, this is what I think, you may as well not accept it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-15 14:28:39

At 3/12/06 05:55 AM, XwaynecoltX wrote:
so how is everyones reviewing...???

I'm in my prime. I feel like I can do 10 a day without getting tired of it. ^_^

At 3/12/06 02:19 PM, Auz wrote:
And congrats to you on the 300 as well.

Heh thanks, 10 days after hitting 300 I reach 400. Right now I'm gaining reviews faster then exp and it's awesome.

Woah that´s a lot. My record is still 5 a day which I got twice.

I think the most I've written in a day was like 17-18. I should really check into that later...

At 3/12/06 02:22 PM, Bahamut- wrote:
When I want to try and review, I just try and find a short flash. Short flash, easy to watch and review, I think.

Whenever I review it's for an author I'm confident I'll get a response from, so UJ submissions work really well.
Yanno how after you vote you can see the most recent review? Well what I usually do is I'll open that reviewers profile and reload it maybe 30 seconds later and if it has a response I know I gotta review that flash.

So it's more of me jumping at the oppurtunity for a response that keeps me reviewing. =)

At 3/13/06 03:06 PM, Bahamut- wrote:
I will be even happier if I got 8 more responses, which'll get me to just over 50%.

This author should be able to get you over the fence, I've reviewed 3 of her flash today and hope to get the other 24 done by the end of the week.
If you want I can let you know when the responses come in just to make sure shes still responding but she submitted a flash yesterday and that's enough for me to think shes still active.^_^

Or you could just check my favourites but I'm sure you already reviewed most of them...

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-16 17:23:56

At 3/15/06 02:28 PM, Major_punk wrote: This author should be able to get you over the fence, I've reviewed 3 of her flash today and hope to get the other 24 done by the end of the week.
If you want I can let you know when the responses come in just to make sure shes still responding but she submitted a flash yesterday and that's enough for me to think shes still active.^_^

Or you could just check my favourites but I'm sure you already reviewed most of them...

The SNN series is pretty funny for the most part. I just reviewed them all and it looks like she does respond

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-17 11:48:14

At 3/15/06 02:28 PM, Major_punk wrote: Whenever I review it's for an author I'm confident I'll get a response from, so UJ submissions work really well.

I avoid reviewing UJ flashes incase the flash gets blammed. I remember I reviewed a flash that was UJ and I thought it would pass. It got blammed and I got a response from that review! >:(

This author should be able to get you over the fence, I've reviewed 3 of her flash today and hope to get the other 24 done by the end of the week.

She has quite a lot of flashes. I gotta review all of her flashes. That should be enough to get me to 400 responses. :) 26 responses I could get from her. I'll be adding all of her flashes to my to review list. Thanks to her, I should be a lot closer to 500 responses and 1000 reviews.

Oh, milinko with over 950 reviews. Another 50 to go and you'll have 1k for all stats. :D

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-17 15:46:32

At 3/12/06 02:22 PM, Bahamut- wrote: When I want to try and review, I just try and find a short flash. Short flash, easy to watch and review, I think.

Yeah, but I just have quite a lot of trouble thinking of something to write, and if I can´t come up with anything within a minute I give up.

At 3/15/06 02:28 PM, Major_punk wrote: Heh thanks, 10 days after hitting 300 I reach 400. Right now I'm gaining reviews faster then exp and it's awesome.

Well congrats again then =) 10 reviews a day, that´s a very nice average.

» View Your Flash Portal Reviews (328) -- With Responses Only (102)

Meh.. I didn´t planned anything today, but I still wrote 1. I´m glad I finally found something that I wanted to review and I could easily think of some things to say. I don´t really have a busy weekend so maybe I´ll try to write another one.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-18 12:04:40

» View Your Flash Portal Reviews (800) -- With Responses Only (389)

Well, I finally got out of the 700's for reviewing, although I should've got to 800 maybe a month ago when I wasn't such a lazy bastard. :( Oh well, if I made 10 reviews a day, I'd get to 900 reviews in 10 days time. I should try and make 10 reviews or more each day so I'd get 1000 reviews in 20 days time. I guess maybe 40 days time I could get 1000 reviews AS LONG as I don't become a lazy bastard!

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-19 04:51:41

» View Your Flash Portal Reviews (800) -- With Responses Only (393)

Well, I've gained a few more responses, which is good, although if other authors decided to respond to my reviews, I would get to maybe 400 responses. Well, I'll get back to reviewing quite soon.

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-19 08:16:44

Currently at 980. Wrote a shit load yesterday by finishing up all of Leah's flashes. Probably won't hit 1000 until wednesday or so. I'm kind of sick of it form yesterday.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-19 10:48:46

Heya folks. I'm back, for anyone who cares.

As of last night, my main commitment (making a portfolio for GSA) has ended. Now, I'm gonna start messing with Flash again, using the internet without any guilt and training to cycle the length of the UK.

Phoned up a coder friend of mine. Hopefully we'll be making a fun little game for Pico Day. I'm gonna draw up some AI flowcharts after posting in this thread.

Oh, if anyone's wondering, I'll probably catch up with responses after drawing up my plans for this game. (hint - Pico's in it.) Btw, if anyone wants to play-test it when it nears completion, give me an e-mail. Should be fun. Will be much appreciated.

At 1/15/06 09:32 AM, -ABSENTMlNDED- wrote: That's something I've always noticed, I tend to use the scores different from everyone else. First I decide how good it is out of 10(and then I use that for my 'style' score within my review) and then I cut that down to a -/5 vote.

My voting works like this:

Out of 10 score/Meaning/Out of 5 vote
10 - Absolutely brilliant. I loved it, one of my favourites, nigh-perfection - 5
9 - Brilliant. I loved it, but it was a little way of nigh-perfection - 5
8 - Great. I loved it, not an amazing submission, but still great - 4
7 - Good. I liked it, it wasn't particularly great, but it was enjoyable - 3
6 - Alright. It thought it was alright, I didn't really like it, or dislike it - 2
5 - Not bad. It wasn't too bad, it was a little on the poor side, but I didn't dislike it - 2
4 - Poor. I didn't like it, there wasn't much to like, a few not too bad parts though -1
3 - Really poor. I didn't like it at all, 1 not too bad aspect, but really poor everywhere else -1
2 - Pretty Dreadful. It was pretty horrible, not quite truly awful, but not at all enjoyable - 1
1 - Dreadful. It was horrible, I've seen worse, but this wasn't much better - 0
0 - Absolutely dreadful. - Everything about it was absolutely horrible- 0

Now that shows that I give 2's to submissions that I think are alright, but I think most people use their 3 vote on that. I was just wondering how the rest of you lot voted?

My /10 and /5 probably corellate in the same way as you.

I hadn't really fully thought about the ratings, but have perhaps been rating 'graphics'/'sound' loosely on technical ability but 'style' on subjective merit. Sort of how well it comes across to me - how 'interesting' the graphics are. I'd give a 10 in style to something with shit gfx, if the shit graphics were part of the humour - the artistic vision or whatever.

I now think that to break down numeric marks into words like you did is wrong. I mean, the language is so much more imprecise than the numbers could be - it's not just a shorthand but a way of developing more precision. But I have a lot of thoughts on that and will write them down in a longer majigie soon.

Yes. If you would just compare littleFoots graphics and Ultimate Showdowns graphics you see huge differences. littleFoot is just amazing to watch. The drawings are very detailed and everything just looks awesome. US indeed relys too much on the song and the graphics are not that impressive.
I'm never really all that bothered by graphics to be honest, I'm more into whether the story to it is good. If a movie had absolutely dreadful graphics but a great storyline and I really enjoyed that aspect of it, it still might get my 5 vote.

I've been amazed in the past when I've seen a below-par 3d model that's been given a good mark for just being built. (Talking a tech-demo here - just rotating models, nothing else.)

Just because folk think 'oooh! it's impressive! How did he do that?' or whatever.

At the end of the day, I'm like Mr. Biffo (Digitiser's, not the Beano's) - try and remember it doesn't matter at all how much effort went into something, just whether it's enjoyable/genuinely interesting or whatever.

At 2/1/06 09:52 AM, Major_punk wrote:
At 1/29/06 06:01 AM, Bahamut- wrote:
Try not to review any UJ flashes and you shouldn't be losing too many reviews. :P If there's a flash you want to review, just wait until it passes the judgment zone and then review.
I used to review UJ flash often but only if I was confident it was going to pass, but a few times it got quite annoying when you write fairly lengthy review only to find it an hour later in the obituaries. : /

I used to go a while making a special effort to give some quality CC to folk who submitted anything that looked like it'd had effort put in, but ended up being shit (probable blam). This was back when B/P points were introduced and I just thought that maybe a friendly review could be the difference between a potential author being put off for life or deciding to keep at it. Conversely, I remember when I submitted the few shit things I did as a joke as Maraca_clock, trying to respond before deletion...

I think it'd be nice if reviews could still be accepted for a while after the entry was deleted... why should anyone who genuinely just wants to help the author have to race against time before the final vote is cast?

I also think we should have links to our dead submissions in our profile, haunting us forever.

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-19 10:52:39

At 2/1/06 11:16 AM, Bahamut- wrote: A big thanks to Afro_Stud again for finding more authors for me. He also figured a way to find every responding author on Newgrounds by using Google! Google has helped me a hell lot to get most of those authors. And no, I won't post a list of authors that I didn't accept since I'll probably be making a list of hundreds of authors. :P

Go on... spill the beans? What is the Google method you speak of?

At 2/3/06 12:25 PM, -ABSENTMlNDED- wrote:
At 1/21/06 12:38 PM, Bahamut- wrote: BTW, thanks to Afro_Stud, he found a way to find every single responding author on Newgrounds by using Google and search with this URL! :D
Heehee, Yahoo and MSN have a larger database of finds, but I'm not too sure if those would work.

hmmm....

At 2/3/06 12:25 PM, -ABSENTMlNDED- wrote:
At 2/1/06 01:08 PM, Auz wrote: You´re forgetting your own flash, the hentai quiz that got you an underdog of the week =) Congrats on getting that award by the way (and also to Afro_Stud), although I dunno if you should be happy with it or not.
Why but of course I'm happy with getting it. I made that submission as a complete joke hoping to wind up the 13 year old perverts by the ending, the fact that it got Underdog means more of them will see it.

Also it means I have 1 flash and 1 award O:-D>

Checked it out. Didn't see the ending. Carried on to 'end of set 1' Was expecting to see some deliberate technical error or something like that after a list of Qs and before hentai... like maybe it could start with distortion, then the numbers are flickering and stuff, then after the last Q it'd 'crash'...

Was mildly disappointed after your words of wanted the Afro folk to release quality stuff...

But congrats on your 1st 2 submissions and congrats on your award.

At 3/8/06 11:40 AM, XwaynecoltX wrote: I do like this new style, im still trying t get use to it, im gonna figure out a system that will allow me to make more then what i have been since im abit slow with this new style, but ill stick with it, it seems to work...

Anyways thanks for any feedback...

~X~

I like the way you've decided to focus on constructive crit. I maintain it's the most important part of any review (when it'd directed at the author) and so I think your new reviews are all excellent.

Personally, I'd also try and make a point of making at least one positive remark, no matter how shit the submission is. Yaknow, just to cheer the poor sap up and to make them feel like it's worth trying again. (We all get better.)

In your review for my 'Asteroids' submission, you quite specifically complimented my twinkling stars, which I really liked as it gave me heart that there was something good enough to stick in your mind and make it to your review.

You know, I was thinking last night about you and how in this crazy website there are some - like me - who write large reviews, trying to tell all, but don't do so as often. Marcus spreads the love far and wide, and seems to still give thorough coverage. It seemed to me you spread yourself a bit farther, but maybe a tad too thin on occasion, but now with the CC section, every author is ensured of getting a nice thick dollop of insightful experienced views from your good self.

I mean, in a way, it's kinda hypothetical of me to talk of helping authors then watch movies without making a review... sometimes it's tempting to think 'ah, I'll write a brilliant review later' but all too often, it doesn't happen. I think I need to do things OK - not necessarily brilliantly and just do things there and then rather than wait.

Not talking about just reviews, but that's a different story...

At 3/14/06 03:28 PM, -Kraken- wrote: I have read your latest review, and it was a lot better. However, I have found some things which needs to be improved. usually, I would have told you to review one of Bezman's flashes, but it seems like he is no longer responding to reviews, due to his recent inactiveness.

That's so sweet!

I'm back and will probably respond to all reviews tonight or tomorrow. In case you don't know, I review reviews, in an attempt to attract the attention of quality feedback for myself. It's a win-win situation, in some ways.

So, yeah, everyone, please review and give me loads of constructive criticism.

If you can't be arsed looking through all my flashes, I reccommend 'Skears DX', 'Spot the Difference' and 'Asteroids (sampler) music video'

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-19 11:34:12

Hey - I had an idea.

If anyone wants me to review something (it has to be something of yours but can be anything) let me know. I'll review it and so will Mike the Mime, a fictituous character who will mime out his review.

At 3/19/06 10:52 AM, Bezman wrote: I mean, in a way, it's kinda hypothetical of me to talk of helping authors then watch movies without making a review... sometimes it's tempting to think 'ah, I'll write a brilliant review later' but all too often, it doesn't happen. I think I need to do things OK - not necessarily brilliantly and just do things there and then rather than wait.

Just wanted to add though that with games it's kind of a different matter - I don't feel qualified to properly comment until/unless I've seen it all the way through. And sometimes if you're gonna return to it, it's worth holding off a review...

But I suppose if I decide I'm no longer gonna play for sure, I will (from now on) definitely review.

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-19 11:35:55

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY.. for my last post, I will...

Review -Kraken-'s review of wastedwizard's review of GravTurret. And also review tiny portions of wastedwizard's review of GravTurret.

At 3/14/06 03:28 PM, -Kraken- wrote: Just making the reviews longer doesn't mean a lot, it is the quality of the reviews, and not their quantity that matters. It is correct that writing longer reviews shows that you are willing to put more time to it and more effort, but as long as the review doesn't contain a lot, it is worth almost nothing.

Very true

About your review, it was pretty nice, but there was things which, as I said before, needs to be improved:

"I liked this game a lot and it is a bit addictive"- this is a pretty good start, summing it whole up in a short sentance at the beginning is a very good opening.

Is it? Is it really? Well, yes, I suppose it is, in some ways. If I wanted to be pernickety (and obviously I do in this instance), I'd say that 'a bit addictive' is a horrible phrase. It seems wrong to measure qualities such as fun, addictivity and such in portions. Imagine if we were to say, 'it is 3/4 addictive'. Surely it's better to say, 'it's somewhat addictive'.

I think Kraken should have considered pointing that out, for bonus _pedanticBastard_ points.

But I shall let Kraken continue and retire from such obvious pedantry.

"The graphics were decent but i felt could have been better and also maybe more levels could have been added."- Firstly, by the graphics was decent,

Sorry. Last bit of pedantry. I think you needed to use quotation marks up there. You maybe should have written, "Firstly, by, 'the graphics were decent',". I'll let you continue.

what exactly do you mean? By 'I felt it could have been a lot better' what do you think should be improved? Is the spaceship badly drawn? Are the rocks?

Examples. Nice.

Secondly, you have attached two sentances which have no relation to each other together.

very true and a good point.

About the more levels could have been added thing, it is fine.
"The start had very good graphics but was nothing to do with the game."- this is a very unclear sentance. How come the graphics in the beginning had nothing to do with the game? What do you mean by beginning? What do you mean by having something to do with the game?

Surely the phrase, 'was nothing to do with the game' is quite understandable? It's the graphics in question that could be multiple things... But I like the way you try and approach the issue of clarification. It reminds me of Colin Moock in the Flash 5 AS book.

You should clarify this sentance a bit,

good point.

do not spare words.

Crazy expression. Is it a US thing?

"Another thing you could improve is the start menu as it is a bit plain and maybe a points system for how many rocks you shoot would make it better"- Exept for once again attaching two sentances which are unrelated, this was pretty fine. However, what do you mean by a plain start menu? Is it in the graphics aspect? The content aspect?

I would have previously always assumed the sentence referred to the gfx until you brought the issue up. Remember that not everything needs to be perfect. (My bro keeps telling me so when I get overly pedantic.) Language is just for conveying ideas and ultimately if you do that, you've used the tool.

"Well this is a good start and i hope you improve it as it could make a very good game."- this is fine as an ending sentance, but I didn't quite get what you meant by 'start' in this sentance.

I find that surprising. I immediately understood (and imagined everyone would) that he means that the game does not feel 'finished' yet. I.e. the development has begun, the start of the development is good, with promising aspects to the game, but it feels as if it needs to be developed further.

About the rest of it, it is a very good closing sentance, telling him to put attention to your ideas for improvement, this is what reviewing is all about.

Is it? Is it really? Really? Is it? How many times will I ask? Really?

I agree on the quality of the closing sentence, but feel you should have mentioned that it concisely summarises and conveys his thoughts regarding the game.

It seems like you have improved your reviews since the last review of your which I have read,

Nice and positive sentence...

however, the review quality is still not around the very good zone.

...before you urge him to go further. Nice.

suggest that you read my comments and try to learn some from them and improve your reviews.

Hehe. Sounds familiar...

I give you 'B-' by Lidov scales, try to get to A.

What are Lidov scales? If this is a one-off joke, an in-joke or a random comment, fair enough. Otherwise, I think you need to explain yourself more clearly.

Furthermore, maybe quickly re-iterating what needs to be done to get an A would be nice here?

Again, just an advice, this is what I think, you may as well not accept it.

Nice caveat. But don't use the phrase, " you may as well not accept it" as there you're actively suggesting he does just that. Instead maybe, "you can choose to ignore it" would be better, offering the option, but almost implicitly suggesting he doesn't.

Overall, it was a good review of a review.

There were a few small English mistakes and in a couple of instances you lost out on _pedanticBastard_ points. Also, you didn't use the bonus word of the moment.

However, there was a lot of great feedback - good cc and positive comments - and you explained yourself thoroughly in nearly all cases.

9/10

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-19 14:54:03

» View Your Flash Portal Reviews (810) -- With Responses Only (400)

Finally out of the 300's for responses. Now that I have 400 responses, only 100 more to go, so 90 of the reviews I make now must NOT get a response. :P And this was my 400th response from TehBlueHippo:

OH GEE! THANKS BAHAMUT! PS HAPPY 400TH REVIEW REPLY NOW FELLATE ME OMGGGG :0

<3

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-19 19:04:55

At 3/15/06 02:28 PM, Major_punk wrote:
At 3/12/06 05:55 AM, XwaynecoltX wrote:
so how is everyones reviewing...???

Near non-existence.

I'm in my prime. I feel like I can do 10 a day without getting tired of it. ^_^

Good feeling, isn't it?
My prime consisted of 20 reviews a day, for quite some time.

XwaynecoltX's prime, you ask?
You don't want to know, lol.

Heh thanks, 10 days after hitting 300 I reach 400. Right now I'm gaining reviews faster then exp and it's awesome.

Yeh that used to be the case for me...

Woah that´s a lot. My record is still 5 a day which I got twice.

Hahah. That takes about 20 minutes :P If, you know what you're doing.

I think the most I've written in a day was like 17-18. I should really check into that later...

60, right here.

X has done around 80 maybe.

At 3/12/06 02:22 PM, Bahamut- wrote:

100% of my reviews (in my prime) were for flashes under 1,000kb. And they were always in the recent 50.

So it's more of me jumping at the oppurtunity for a response that keeps me reviewing. =)

Little tricky techniques like that can prove extremely helpful.

God damn, I wish I wasn't at school anymore, with no responsibilities in my real life...
then, THEN I could seriously get back into this site... but my BBS activity and any other apart from gaining b/p is now restricted to school holidays.

Response to The Reviewers Club 2006-03-19 19:08:37

At 3/19/06 10:48 AM, Bezman wrote: Heya folks. I'm back, for anyone who cares.

WOOOP WOOOP WOOP!!!
Hello my good sir :D

At 3/19/06 02:54 PM, Bahamut- wrote: » View Your Flash Portal Reviews (810) -- With Responses Only (400)

You're doing well.

Finally out of the 300's for responses. Now that I have 400 responses, only 100 more to go, so 90 of the reviews I make now must NOT get a response. :P And this was my 400th response from TehBlueHippo:

Good stuff man.

OH GEE! THANKS BAHAMUT! PS HAPPY 400TH REVIEW REPLY NOW FELLATE ME OMGGGG :0

lawl. TBH what a funni boi ^_^

So bahamut you're aiming to grab a screenshot of you having 1,000 reviews and 500 responses, eh?
Are you going to stop completely there? Or keep going?

I'm actually quite suprised at the amount of responses I gained from writing reviews on NG, mainly because I only rarely went on sprees of reviewing only the authors who responded to their works.
I think a few times when I got a positive response from an author, I'd go and review the rest of their work, but the main bulk of my responses has come from revieiwng the recent 50.

Anyhoo, I'm alive, hi, yes, I'm still around occassionally. But not reviewing very much anymore :(