00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NanoSoft just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Most believable religion

14,626 Views | 223 Replies

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 15:49:50

I've seen a lot of folk here arguing one way or another about whether Jesus was a Buddhist. The argument against is that Jesus believed in God, and Buddhists don't. There is a flaw in this argument.

Buddhism is not a religion. It is a philosophy, a way of living your life. Buddhism has no gods because the greater powers are not part of it in any way at all, positively or negatively. You can have an atheist buddhist, or you could have a christian buddhist, or jewish, or whatever. The only problem is when buddhist philosophy clashes with the philosophy that comes with a religion.

As I see it, the buddhist idea of karma (bad deeds worsening the next life, good deeds bettering it) isn't notably different from the Jew-Christian idea of sin and repentance affecting your journey to heaven or to hell - the next life.

It's entirely possible that Jesus could have been a buddhist, just not very probable.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 16:09:23

At 5/4/06 04:57 PM, FAB0L0US wrote: Dranigus, I know you will probably say some trite shit after this and flame me but I want to point something out.

Flame you... no... I want to destroy you.

1) You dont cite

Do I have to? I'm saving you the trouble of dying from a stroke. Because I know your brain will suddenly die once you start reading the high level language of evidence from Gnostic scriptures.

2) No one has any idea ever what you are talking about

You are only half right. You don't understand what I am talking about. And that's because you a retard. You don't have everyone else just posting in here saying they concure with you on this, you only have yourself and die hard christians agreeing with you. Therefore it's not everything, you fucking retard. Fucking sick retard. Fucking lazy ass good for nothing retard that is you, Fabulous. A fucking retard that shouldn't have been conceived.

3) There is no historical or archaeological evidence of anything you claim

Yes there is, where is your proof that I don't have any evidence. Is it that I didn't provide any? That's not evidence.

4) Did I mention you never cite anything you claim?

Yes. Because you are a douchebag with no life.

Let me guess the reply.

"OMG the Fabulous one has spoken again. LOL look at it. Hes spewing his fabulously gay stuff again. LOLOL so funny."

Well it is halirious that you do say that about yourself.

You will then tell me to look up all this information by myself.

What's wrong with that? You are suppose to. Otherwise, you would be depending on others to do everything for you.

Rinse.
Repeat.

More random idiocy please...

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 17:56:46

it was already theorized how one celled creatures evolved, the early earth aatmosphere was composed of specific elements, when lighting hit them, which was a common thing back then, they would make proteins., the rain ould collect inot pools and the chemical and tempreatural conditions of earth back then would allow these proteins to make simple bonds, which then led to complex bonds. Then microsphers and microns evolved, amn form them the first true being appeared. APProx time: 2 billion years.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 19:08:49

At 5/5/06 05:56 PM, Gtd_Orion wrote: it was already theorized how one celled creatures evolved, the early earth aatmosphere was composed of specific elements, when lighting hit them, which was a common thing back then, they would make proteins., the rain ould collect inot pools and the chemical and tempreatural conditions of earth back then would allow these proteins to make simple bonds, which then led to complex bonds. Then microsphers and microns evolved, amn form them the first true being appeared. APProx time: 2 billion years.

Oh yes.That's so muuuuuuuuuch more likely than some higher power ordaining it. Hell, maybe I could try that with my fridge, see what comes out.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 19:21:57

At 5/5/06 05:56 PM, Gtd_Orion wrote: it was already theorized how one celled creatures evolved, the early earth aatmosphere was composed of specific elements, when lighting hit them, which was a common thing back then, they would make proteins., the rain ould collect inot pools and the chemical and tempreatural conditions of earth back then would allow these proteins to make simple bonds, which then led to complex bonds. Then microsphers and microns evolved, amn form them the first true being appeared. APProx time: 2 billion years.

Life began roughly between three and four billion years ago. And lightning hitting organic compounds is a rather silly idea to how life had formed. But it is a good way to try and desmise yourself as anything other than a silly primate discussing over matters that are not important to one's survival.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 19:37:27

At 4/25/06 06:44 PM, yoddtacos wrote: Okay, lets just say every religion has its flaws whether it is Christianity, where is heaven and all that sh*t? And well I, find it way off...

THe scientific theory has the major flaw of how did one cell creatures evolve.

Urey and Miller answered that. With the right combination of conditions (which Earth had) organic compound can be made.

As Earths smartest scientist ever (I think) Albert einstien once said.

"No matter how big We are, their must be a superior being out there"

And well he is right, how did the Universe start, and who did it. My belief, is christianity an Muslim are both wrong. What I think is closest is Buddhism okay I know that is weird but think about it. We re-incarnate and all that. But then again, there is the flaw of where is heaven and how do we re-incarnate.

Buddhism is centered on how to end suffering.

Anywho, what do you think is the most accurate religion, scientific theory IS an option...

Don't ever ask people this. They will always argue how accurate a religion is. The truth is that religions are only accurate for specific people.

Now anyone who has a different belief than you, don't start a flame war, I just want an inteligent conversation....

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 19:40:29

At 5/4/06 05:15 PM, Me-Patch wrote: The theory that Jesus was a Buddhist isn't just in Dranigus' head. Iv'e heard it before, and it adds up pretty well. Alot of Jesus parables and teachings reflected Buddhist philosophy. And Jesus was known to meditate.

Jesus was a tad more violent, and Jesus didn't base his religion on how to end suffering. Also, Buddhism lacks a god. There are a few similarities in the teachings of Gautama and Christ, but they are nowhere near similar to be classified as the same religion.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 19:43:23

At 5/4/06 05:20 PM, SundayBest wrote: Jesus believed in God. Buddha was an agnostic.

Actually, Buddhists don't believe in God. They consider the belief to be uneeded.
In the Dhammapada, as quoted of Buddha:

"Gripped by fear, men go to sacred mountains, sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines."

Dp 188

Which is to say that Buddhism finds that the belief in a god is derived from fear.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 19:47:11

i think mormanism is the most believable, i mean it just makes soo much sense

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 19:51:20

At 5/5/06 07:59 AM, Palioxis wrote: I cant tell whats true of false, impossible to get prove, gues we all wil find out when we die.

but personally I like Christianity, and I enjoy reading the bible, but do I believe it? hmm not yet I gues.

Budism, not most believe able to be honest.

The oldest writtings are found in Peru, I think if there is an awnser on earth, it would be there.

I understand. You are a faith-based religious person. he.........

1.) The first writings are from Iraq.

2.) Just because the first writings are from "Peru" doesn't mean that they are correct or somehow wise for that matter. If an ancient wrote "poop" on a clay tablet, it wouldn't be logical to worship that tablet.

3.) An "answer" as you put it is based on perception. Some things generally work for all people, some things only work for some. That is how it works.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 22:44:47

At 5/2/06 10:26 PM, altanese_mistress wrote:
At 5/2/06 09:35 PM, Magnumprimers wrote: Only Christmas. Anyway Easter is the more important Christian holiday.
Easter was too. Wonder where the rabbit and eggs came from?

A magical bunny shat many-colored eggs.

The end.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 23:13:15

Christianity. Number one most believed religion besides Aitheiost. And the fastest growing religion. Only the facts

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-05 23:15:00

christianity.
no questions asked

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-06 02:05:56

At 5/5/06 11:13 PM, Johnfighter wrote: Christianity. Number one most believed religion besides Aitheiost. And the fastest growing religion. Only the facts

Actually atheists are third in the population rank. Number two on the list, Islam, is growing faster than Christianity. Only the facts.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-06 02:22:55

i think buddism.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-06 07:04:53

At 5/5/06 04:09 PM, Dranigus wrote:
Do I have to? I'm saving you the trouble of dying from a stroke. Because I know your brain will suddenly die once you start reading the high level language of evidence from Gnostic scriptures.
+ a whole lot of badmouth

the gnostic scriptures aren't "more right" or of a higher standart then the regular gospels, you find them superior, but there is no reason why any religious book would be superior to another. So you have no proof that Jesus was a buddist, but you still have the right to believe it, but: "i don't believe it, i only spread the word"

and i find it very strange that you went out of your mind on fabolous...
maybe you just can't handle the truth....

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-07 08:25:02

kombatisim:
the religion where you belive ed boon and john tobias are gods and that everything in mortal kombat actually happened (albeit in a parellel universe!)

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-10 15:55:19

Paganism, in it's many forms, is on the rise. There are a lot of people out there, fed up with the establishment (popes, imams, lamas and the like), who are turning back to the old ways, and bringing them forward to apply to the modern world. Wiccan is the third most practised religion in the USA, considered a Christian country. Why is this? Too many rules. Guidance and Discipline are good for you, but some established religions are far too restrictive. Catholicism, for example, relies a lot on "blind faith".

The best approach, in my opinion, is to take what you can from each religion you come across, along with the views of secular society, and create your own belief system.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-10 18:17:05

At 5/10/06 03:55 PM, Leonardo_Da_Finchy wrote: Wiccan is the third most practised religion in the USA,

More like 8th.

considered a Christian country. Why is this?

Its considered a Christian country because it has such a large majority. Its not that big to be eighth, when number 1 is so far ahead.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-10 21:53:29

Since i know i'm the most respected person ever i will reply to this. The world was created by the greek gods. Why did people stop beleiveing them in the first place, because christianity(the devil) decided to take over. But seriosly,

The best answer i got is the supreme being came to each culture in a way they would understand. If Muhammed came to the chinese they might be confused. This theory also explains the similarities in the major religions. Includeing common goals to salvation. Also maby the intelectuals noticed that there is more then one religion with a man surviving a flood by building an ark. The greeks, which came first also had an ark.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-10 21:59:35

I'll add my opinion on the matter.

I believe in God, but I do not think God ever intervenes in mundane affairs and lets nature runs its course, along with cause and effect. The reason people invent different religions is because as human beings: we have a natural curiosity and inquisitive nature. I deem that religion is an attempt to understand the creator/creators better, as is dictated by natural human curiosity.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-11 06:33:26

I think it's a bit more complicated than just which is the most believable, every religion has details left behind it, clues, and maybe even secrets.

BBS Signature

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-11 15:30:43

I have a hypothetical question:

'Religion A' has been around for thousands of years. It has a well preserved holy book. The holy book is very accurate (and therefore believable) but is very very violent in its ethics. Extracts might read "The number of atoms in one mole of a gas is 3.2 x 10^6. By the way, kill anyone with ginger hair"

'Religion B' has been around for thousands of years. It has a well preserved holy book. Its holy book is wildly innacurate, but has a fairly good moral message. For example "You shouldn't steal, because the Giant Sandworm in the centre of the Earth might die"

Does 'most believable' really equate to 'best'

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-11 21:27:43

At 5/10/06 03:55 PM, Leonardo_Da_Finchy wrote: Paganism, in it's many forms, is on the rise. There are a lot of people out there, fed up with the establishment (popes, imams, lamas and the like), who are turning back to the old ways, and bringing them forward to apply to the modern world. Wiccan is the third most practised religion in the USA, considered a Christian country. Why is this? Too many rules. Guidance and Discipline are good for you, but some established religions are far too restrictive. Catholicism, for example, relies a lot on "blind faith".

The best approach, in my opinion, is to take what you can from each religion you come across, along with the views of secular society, and create your own belief system.

What are you talking about?
Islam is the third most practiced religion in the U.S.

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

Secondly, this discussion isn't so much about the religion you think is best, it is about the most believeable religion.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-11 22:44:47

At 4/25/06 06:48 PM, MattMan1 wrote:
At 4/25/06 06:46 PM, MoralLibertarian wrote: Islam.
i agree it has been around for ages and has the most detailed bible

Two things. First they have no Bible, they have a Qur'an. Second it is a break off sect of the Jewish religion which was around thousands of years before Islam.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-11 22:51:13

At 5/11/06 09:27 PM, bradford1 wrote:
At 5/10/06 03:55 PM, Leonardo_Da_Finchy wrote: Paganism, in it's many forms, is on the rise. There are a lot of people out there, fed up with the establishment (popes, imams, lamas and the like), who are turning back to the old ways, and bringing them forward to apply to the modern world. Wiccan is the third most practised religion in the USA, considered a Christian country. Why is this? Too many rules. Guidance and Discipline are good for you, but some established religions are far too restrictive. Catholicism, for example, relies a lot on "blind faith".

What are you talking about?
Islam is the third most practiced religion in the U.S.

I don't understand what the hell you are talking about either. As far as I can tell you are for too uneduacated about the facts to argue this point. By the way I am not catholic, but I attended catholic schooling and blind faith isn't binding bitch!... I have your I.P. (kidding)

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-12 07:07:02

At 4/25/06 07:02 PM, mackid wrote:
At 4/25/06 06:55 PM, afliXion wrote: Christianity.
If you believe that an Absolute, Omnipotent and Omnipresent Supernatural Being can feel pain, sure.

for the record, he came to earth in human form, so that means he CAN feel pain and what other humans feel too.
ever hear of the word "avatar"?

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-12 07:15:42

At 5/11/06 03:30 PM, x_Toadenalin_x wrote: I have a hypothetical question:

Does 'most believable' really equate to 'best'

that is a good point.
then again, most religions move towards being kind, love your neighbor, etc.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-12 17:32:07

Sun-Worship.

1. You can see it
2.It provides life,
3. Itwill eventually destroy all known life (Probably)
and
5.without it we wouldn't exist.

Seems to fit the bill to me.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-12 17:39:12

At 5/12/06 05:32 PM, Zalbun wrote: Sun-Worship.

1. You can see it
2.It provides life,
3. Itwill eventually destroy all known life (Probably)
and
5.without it we wouldn't exist.

Seems to fit the bill to me.

I would prefer to worship the Creator rather than the created.