00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nothappyhere just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Most believable religion

14,632 Views | 223 Replies

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 13:50:51

At 5/24/06 12:31 PM, x_Toadenalin_x wrote:
Yes, assuming that you do know the Canadian Anthem, and there are no other factors influencing your respect of the two countries.

Say again?

You seriously think that since someone knows more about a country or religion, or they prefer it, that they have less respect for the others? Don't kid yourself.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 14:05:00

At 5/24/06 01:50 PM, peedee wrote: You seriously think that since someone knows more about a country or religion, or they prefer it, that they have less respect for the others? Don't kid yourself.

That's what I believe. Obviously it isn't a hard and fast rule, but in general terms the more knowledge you have for an intelligent idea the more you respect it, especially with regard to religion. For example, I respect both Conservatives and Liberals, since I know quite a bit about both, but I tend to align myself more Liberally.

If he does not know various rituals and customs of (say) Christianity, but does know several Hindu customs, how can you possibly expect him to treat Christian holy days with respect? My point was that although it is very easy to claim you 'respect all religions equally', no-one actually does. For example, I know a lot about Christmas, but I have no idea when Yom Kippor is. Although I would say I respect Christianity and Judaism equally, this clearly isn't true - I have taken the time to learn about Christmas, but not Yom Kippor

Equally, if something is a sin for one religion but not another (believing in multiple Gods for example) it is paradoxical to believe both at once. You either have to be polytheistic and disrespect monotheists or monotheistic and ignore some Gods from a polytheistic religion.

But hell, I just made that point in passing. If it pisses you off that much just ignore it or something.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 14:13:23

At 5/24/06 02:05 PM, x_Toadenalin_x wrote:
If he does not know various rituals and customs of (say) Christianity, but does know several Hindu customs, how can you possibly expect him to treat Christian holy days with respect? My point was that although it is very easy to claim you 'respect all religions equally', no-one actually does. For example, I know a lot about Christmas, but I have no idea when Yom Kippor is. Although I would say I respect Christianity and Judaism equally, this clearly isn't true - I have taken the time to learn about Christmas, but not Yom Kippor

You can easily respect religions without knowing anything about them. Just as I can respect a person I have never met, based upon the simple fact that they are a fellow human being. I can respect all religions just by saying nothing, or disrespect one by saying something. You don't need to make an action to respect anything. A simple nod in it's direction, and an acceptance of its existance is good enough.

Equally, if something is a sin for one religion but not another (believing in multiple Gods for example) it is paradoxical to believe both at once. You either have to be polytheistic and disrespect monotheists or monotheistic and ignore some Gods from a polytheistic religion.

Or you can just let things be. You don't need to get all complicated with everything. If you belive in one God, and I believ ein 4, what difference does it really make? Is that really disrespectful to anything?

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 14:18:03

At 5/24/06 02:13 PM, peedee wrote: You can easily respect religions without knowing anything about them. Just as I can respect a person I have never met, based upon the simple fact that they are a fellow human being. I can respect all religions just by saying nothing, or disrespect one by saying something. You don't need to make an action to respect anything. A simple nod in it's direction, and an acceptance of its existance is good enough.

I agree - but therein lies the rub. I accept it is easy to respect religions. I accept it is easy to accept religions that are not your own. I DO NOT accept that it is possible to respect all religions equally.
To continue your analogy: I think it is fair to say you probably respect your wife/mother/best friend more than you respect me. This is perfectly healthy, but symptomatic of my take on the human condition - we tend to respect what we know and fear what we don't.

Or you can just let things be. You don't need to get all complicated with everything. If you belive in one God, and I believ ein 4, what difference does it really make? Is that really disrespectful to anything?

If I got offended you believed in four Gods, and person B would get offended if you DIDN'T believe in four Gods then yes, you would have to be disrespectful to one of our religious beliefs.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 14:22:14

At 5/24/06 02:18 PM, x_Toadenalin_x wrote: I agree - but therein lies the rub. I accept it is easy to respect religions. I accept it is easy to accept religions that are not your own. I DO NOT accept that it is possible to respect all religions equally.
To continue your analogy: I think it is fair to say you probably respect your wife/mother/best friend more than you respect me. This is perfectly healthy, but symptomatic of my take on the human condition - we tend to respect what we know and fear what we don't.

I misunderstood... Sort of. I cna understand that we do respect what we know more so then what we do not know, but I still afirm that there is a basis in all things which we can respect equally. Would you agree with that?

If I got offended you believed in four Gods, and person B would get offended if you DIDN'T believe in four Gods then yes, you would have to be disrespectful to one of our religious beliefs.

But, in your instance, would you need to get offended by someone with a different belief, if they didn't say anything offensive? What I mean is that if people would just let things be, and stop trying to change how people belive... You know, respect other opinions as far as beliefs go, then we wouldn't have a respect issue. People could just say "Hey, you think there are 4 Gods? I only think theres one." No biggie.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 14:29:06

At 5/24/06 02:22 PM, peedee wrote:
I misunderstood... Sort of. I cna understand that we do respect what we know more so then what we do not know, but I still afirm that there is a basis in all things which we can respect equally. Would you agree with that?

I'm afraid I don't really understand. I think I agree with you if you mean that there are some things that we can respect equally, I just don't agree it applies to religion.

But, in your instance, would you need to get offended by someone with a different belief, if they didn't say anything offensive? What I mean is that if people would just let things be, and stop trying to change how people belive... You know, respect other opinions as far as beliefs go, then we wouldn't have a respect issue. People could just say "Hey, you think there are 4 Gods? I only think theres one." No biggie.

I agree that would be ideal, but I think you'd agree people don't work like that. Most of the time people are solipsystic and self-centred. Besides, it doesn't change the fact that both would go through life thinking they were 'correct', and hence respecting their own view more.

I've found an exception to my own rule incidentally - I've spent so long arguing with Creationists on this forum that I have a very detailed knowledge of Creation Science. I do not, however, respect this knowledge, since I believe it to be mostly fraudulant.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 14:31:33

At 5/24/06 02:29 PM, x_Toadenalin_x wrote: I'm afraid I don't really understand. I think I agree with you if you mean that there are some things that we can respect equally, I just don't agree it applies to religion.

Thats what I am saying. But in religion, the one thing you can respect would be faith. Right? One basic quality.

I agree that would be ideal, but I think you'd agree people don't work like that. Most of the time people are solipsystic and self-centred. Besides, it doesn't change the fact that both would go through life thinking they were 'correct', and hence respecting their own view more.

Thats why I'm saying a basic idea. If you can respect the simple fact that people believe in something, then why bother arguing it? People can behave this way. We choose not to.

I've found an exception to my own rule incidentally - I've spent so long arguing with Creationists on this forum that I have a very detailed knowledge of Creation Science. I do not, however, respect this knowledge, since I believe it to be mostly fraudulant.

Me too.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 14:45:54

At 4/25/06 07:02 PM, MoralLibertarian wrote:
At 4/25/06 06:55 PM, afliXion wrote:
It stole and distorted all its stuff fromthe Bible.
That's not true. It only took the stuff that was true in the Bible and then clarified all the falsehoods in it.

Christianity.
If you believe that an Absolute, Omnipotent and Omnipresent Supernatural Being can feel pain, sure.

Actually Christianity (and Judaism) and Islam all stem from the same events with their own slant on events. I don't wanna offend anyone but its impossible for one acount of events to be absolutely true.

And if by your second remark you mean Christ dying on the cross then Christ was (as far as my knowledge of the Bible goes) the human embodyment of God, key word being human.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 15:02:10

At 5/24/06 02:31 PM, peedee wrote: Thats what I am saying. But in religion, the one thing you can respect would be faith. Right? One basic quality.

Ok, I agree it is possible to respect someone's faith equally no matter what religion they are from. But as for the religion itself, that depends largely on cultural factors, and what religions you have been exposed to.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 15:33:46

True enough. Call it even? Hahaha.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-24 15:38:34

At 5/24/06 03:33 PM, peedee wrote: True enough. Call it even? Hahaha.

Cool - nice to have an intelligent debate once in a while, thanks for livening up my evening =)

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-25 00:14:31

Good to see you have read the whole thread.

Dolt.

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-25 03:17:02

nobody can say x is better than y....unless they studied x and y in detail...u cant just go online and suddenly be an expert in the religions.....and can instantly point out their mistakes with "reliable" facts....soooo......find out what they really stand for, like reading thier fucking books (bible, quran, etc) take your fucking time to compare them and make your own fucking choice because your fucking values are diffrent from others...you fucking fuckers......

Response to Most believable religion 2006-05-25 12:16:08

At 5/25/06 03:17 AM, aznsapient wrote: nobody can say x is better than y....unless they studied x and y in detail...u cant just go online and suddenly be an expert in the religions.....and can instantly point out their mistakes with "reliable" facts....soooo......find out what they really stand for, like reading thier fucking books

Just out of curiosity, have you read the Guru Granth Sahib, the Tipitaka, or even the Qu'ran?