00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Toffea just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Roe vs. Wade

15,721 Views | 352 Replies

Roe vs. Wade 2003-01-22 10:57:16

The fateful roe vs. wade decision was made 30 years ago today. this court battle caused abortion to be legalized. the courts are still up in arms about what to do about the decision today.

What do you think we should do?

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2003-01-22 12:49:42

Personally I'm in favor of Roe v. Wade. I don't support abortion in and of itself but I support a woman's choice to have it done safely if she chooses.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2003-01-22 14:38:35

At 1/22/03 12:49 PM, RandomFreak wrote: Personally I'm in favor of Roe v. Wade. I don't support abortion in and of itself but I support a woman's choice to have it done safely if she chooses.

I think the original Roe V. Wade decision is correct. The original decision allowed first trimester abortions. I feel that since the world is so overpopulated there is no need in filling it with more children who's parents either can't or don't want to support them.

I do however feel that 2nd and especially 3rd (or partial birth abortions) are brutal and should be outlawed.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2003-01-22 21:18:04

What should we do? ...for one, go look at the huge, now six page long thread already out on it...misspelled abotrion.

Of course, if you want a tactical response here, what we should do is eliminate ANY arguement ever put in ANY political institution that makes reference to religious beliefs as a part of an opinion. Then there wouldn't be much of a debate...

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2003-01-22 21:37:11

Hah! You think religious beliefs have anything to do with it? It's the taking of a human life. It may be wrong in almost ALL religions, but it's also wrong morally.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2003-01-22 21:50:15

Morals are often based on religion, but they are no more important/influential than opinions. That is what they are.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2003-01-22 22:59:50

It is true that abortion is taking a human life. A fetus is a human in the earliest stages of development. However, the law states that in order to have basic human rights, you have to be born. A fetus has no rights because it is not recognized as a person by the law. Personally, I would never have an abortion. I think it is rather selfish and seems like an easy way out. However, I do not think I, nor anyone else, has the right to tell any woman what she may do with her body.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-02 23:47:53

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

Look I couldn't find a fresher thread but I guess I'm a Necromancer. By the way you should care about this descion in more than you realize. Unless if you don't care about your privacy from the government.

Roma est mater omnium nostrum

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-02 23:57:50

At 5/2/22 11:47 PM, SuperiorGhostgamer wrote: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

Look I couldn't find a fresher thread but I guess I'm a Necromancer. By the way you should care about this descion in more than you realize. Unless if you don't care about your privacy from the government.

Well, the decision is not final, it's just a draft.

Deliberations on controversial cases have in the past been fluid. Justices can and sometimes do change their votes as draft opinions circulate and major decisions can be subject to multiple drafts and vote-trading, sometimes until just days before a decision is unveiled. The court’s holding will not be final until it is published, likely in the next two months.

The immediate impact of the ruling as drafted in February would be to end a half-century guarantee of federal constitutional protection of abortion rights and allow each state to decide whether to restrict or ban abortion. It’s unclear if there have been subsequent changes to the draft.

No draft decision in the modern history of the court has been disclosed publicly while a case was still pending. The unprecedented revelation is bound to intensify the debate over what was already the most controversial case on the docket this term.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 01:30:43

Not even a month out of Elon Musk buying Twitter, and this happens.

God, we live in amusing times.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 02:45:18 (edited 2022-05-03 02:47:46)

At 5/2/22 11:57 PM, EdyKel wrote:

You are correct that it's not final, but I think this is a pretty clear sign where we're headed in regards to the abortion debate. There's no honest way of getting around the fact that the Supreme Court now has 6-3 split in favor of conservative justices and the rhetoric from the Republican party has increasingly demanded the repeal of Roe v. Wade so that U.S. states can make their own decisions regarding abortions i.e. allow them to be banned in certain areas again.

Just for context, remember that Donald Trump, the modern face of the GOP, was the first U.S. President to speak out against abortion at the March for Life in D.C. in 2020. We can get into all sorts of debates on if he's actually pro-life or just trying to curry favor with American evangelical voters, but the point stands that this issue, which has always been contentious, has only gotten more heated and more important to the right-wing in this country in the Trump Era.

I don't see anyway Roe v. Wade doesn't get repealed honestly. Clarence Thomas has been a long-time critic of Roe. Samuel Alito has apparently written the opinion that it's being overturned. I have no doubt that the three justices that Trump picked will vote to overturn it. Even if we're generous and say that Chief Justice John Roberts (Appointed by George W. Bush) would side with the left-leaning justices, that's still 5-4 in favor of overturning it. There would have to be a SHOCKING betrayal to Donald Trump by Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, or Coney Barrett to stop it now.

Buckle up.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 09:43:12

At 5/2/22 11:47 PM, SuperiorGhostgamer wrote: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

I had a bad feeling about this. Looking into it, turns out my suspicion was justified. What a crazy time to be alive, huh?

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 10:19:09 (edited 2022-05-03 10:20:02)

This'll be a first in a trend of restricting rights for minorities (including poor people of any background) of any kind. Shameful. I wish nothing but the worst for republicans.

BBS Signature

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 12:03:13 (edited 2022-05-03 12:09:00)

At 5/3/22 02:45 AM, ZJ wrote:
You are correct that it's not final, but I think this is a pretty clear sign where we're headed in regards to the abortion debate. There's no honest way of getting around the fact that the Supreme Court now has 6-3 split in favor of conservative justices and the rhetoric from the Republican party has increasingly demanded the repeal of Roe v. Wade so that U.S. states can make their own decisions regarding abortions i.e. allow them to be banned in certain areas again.

Just for context, remember that Donald Trump, the modern face of the GOP, was the first U.S. President to speak out against abortion at the March for Life in D.C. in 2020. We can get into all sorts of debates on if he's actually pro-life or just trying to curry favor with American evangelical voters, but the point stands that this issue, which has always been contentious, has only gotten more heated and more important to the right-wing in this country in the Trump Era.

I don't see anyway Roe v. Wade doesn't get repealed honestly. Clarence Thomas has been a long-time critic of Roe. Samuel Alito has apparently written the opinion that it's being overturned. I have no doubt that the three justices that Trump picked will vote to overturn it. Even if we're generous and say that Chief Justice John Roberts (Appointed by George W. Bush) would side with the left-leaning justices, that's still 5-4 in favor of overturning it. There would have to be a SHOCKING betrayal to Donald Trump by Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, or Coney Barrett to stop it now.

Buckle up.

People can dive into reading the opinion themselves right here.

With an argument of "the constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision", it certainly seems like their sights are also set on overturning things like gay marriage.

A lot of these issues that are targeted don't affect me directly, but we still have to live in this country. Women being forced to deliver the babies of their rapists. Women being stripped of their bodily autonomy. America is a country that boasts freedom and liberty, yet we constantly see things like this happen in the news cycles.

I think that the separation of church and state is something that has been handled with kid gloves for far too long. We cannot continue to allow money from religious groups to make changes to our country. There should be no religious tax exemptions when they are using their money to strip away the freedoms of Americans. Citizens united needs to be overturned, but it seems at this point it is unlikely.

Elections do matter. Hopefully the people will show up this year for the midterms as a response and every other year that follows.

BBS Signature

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 13:11:26

At 5/3/22 12:03 PM, Zachary wrote:
At 5/3/22 02:45 AM, ZJ wrote:

Buckle up.
People can dive into reading the opinion themselves right here.

With an argument of "the constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision", it certainly seems like their sights are also set on overturning things like gay marriage.

A lot of these issues that are targeted don't affect me directly, but we still have to live in this country. Women being forced to deliver the babies of their rapists. Women being stripped of their bodily autonomy. America is a country that boasts freedom and liberty, yet we constantly see things like this happen in the news cycles.

I think that the separation of church and state is something that has been handled with kid gloves for far too long. We cannot continue to allow money from religious groups to make changes to our country. There should be no religious tax exemptions when they are using their money to strip away the freedoms of Americans. Citizens united needs to be overturned, but it seems at this point it is unlikely.

Elections do matter. Hopefully the people will show up this year for the midterms as a response and every other year that follows.

I think there has always been a clear biased applied by originalist Conservative justices in their interpretation of the US Constitution, which seem to promote double standards, and not true equality, to protect the majority, and it's establishment, while blurring the lines between church and state. This is what you get when you apply conservative standards to a liberal document.

This draft over Roe vs Wade shows just how short sighted, and desperate they are, and it could set up a precedence that they can revisit other past decisions, with the argument that if it isn't in the constitution, it shouldn't be federally protected, and should be left up to the people (states). This has a lot of people concerned that the court could revisit issues over marriage, overturning past decisions over interracial and gay marriages. That is how scary this whole thing is.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 13:38:08

If Roe goes down Obergefell is probably not far behind. And we've only had a majority conservative SC for so little time. Things are looking pretty good lately!

No pods, no casters

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 16:13:19

At 5/3/22 01:38 PM, GenericDungeonSlime wrote: If Roe goes down Obergefell is probably not far behind. And we've only had a majority conservative SC for so little time. Things are looking pretty good lately!

Abortion aside, why do you want Obergefell to fall? What is the benefit in that, other than to piss off the LGBTQIA+ community? Unless you're explicitly trying to make it near impossible to be queer/trans and living in the US. Why rip apart families and couples? Or would you just like to jump to executing LGBTQIA+ individuals? I mean, seems like y'all already want to do that to the trans community....

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 16:41:52 (edited 2022-05-03 16:52:46)

At 5/3/22 04:13 PM, BrianEtrius wrote:
At 5/3/22 01:38 PM, GenericDungeonSlime wrote: If Roe goes down Obergefell is probably not far behind. And we've only had a majority conservative SC for so little time. Things are looking pretty good lately!
Abortion aside, why do you want Obergefell to fall? What is the benefit in that, other than to piss off the LGBTQIA+ community? Unless you're explicitly trying to make it near impossible to be queer/trans and living in the US. Why rip apart families and couples? Or would you just like to jump to executing LGBTQIA+ individuals? I mean, seems like y'all already want to do that to the trans community....

He wants to bring the US back to the early 1800's, where slavery still existed, woman didn't have many rights, and we killed a bunch of Indians for their lands. It's not hard to figure out why he wants to get rid of the Obergefell decision. It offends him.

iu_625232_3128420.png

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 18:04:01 (edited 2022-05-03 18:05:01)

At 5/3/22 04:13 PM, BrianEtrius wrote:
Abortion aside, why do you want Obergefell to fall?

because fascists always have to have enemies to direct their efforts towards

if women lose their rights, homosexuals are next

if homosexuals lose their rights, black folk are on the table

after that, the jews

then the irish

then catholics

etc. etc.

eventually when there are no more enemies they will turn in on themselves, divide and conquer themselves, dissolving whatever society they were leading

this is the trajectory of fascism, you see; it is never enough for these fuckers to succeed, they are driven to oppress

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 18:07:17

Yes, let’s go ahead and throw away decades of progress and cultural norms just to cater to you and a vocal minority of troglodytes who seem to have a unhealthy obsession of 50’s nostalgia. (More closer to 1850’s than even 1950’s)

As much as I criticize the over-reactionary moralists of the left for their pettiness and having the propensity of dry heaving over trivial issues, at least on some level, they have good intentions in mind, I can’t say the same thing for the Trumpist conservative wing trying to re-open old wounds and fight a cultural war that they can’t win.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 18:10:16

DemoKKKrat Party is completely Demonic and that's all that has to be said. If I say anything else a sensitive lefty Modder might ban me. Also it's hilarious that Dementia Joe is caught lying all the time. He says he is pro-life but then supports the Murder of a baby late into the pregnancy. Disgusting corrupt Politician that stole his Wealth.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 18:23:32 (edited 2022-05-03 18:28:37)

At 5/3/22 10:19 AM, Frastrud wrote: I wish nothing but the worst for republicans.

At 5/3/22 04:13 PM, BrianEtrius wrote: Or would you just like to jump to executing LGBTQIA+ individuals?

At 5/3/22 06:04 PM, Gario wrote: after that, the jews

At 5/3/22 06:10 PM, TheKlown wrote: DemoKKKrat Party is completely Demonic

Until you all calm down, I don’t see how a functional discussion can happen.

@zj did a good judicial analysis above. Can we start with his post rather than immediately leap to breaking Godwin’s Law?

click this to quick jump back to his paragraph: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/45735#bbspost27326495_post_text

….granted I disagree that anything is set in stone. If you’re 100% sure something will go one way in the SCOTUS, you are bound to be disappointed. They are predictably unpredictable.

hello

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-03 20:01:51 (edited 2022-05-03 20:02:04)

At 5/3/22 06:23 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote:
At 5/3/22 10:19 AM, Frastrud wrote: I wish nothing but the worst for republicans.
At 5/3/22 04:13 PM, BrianEtrius wrote: Or would you just like to jump to executing LGBTQIA+ individuals?
At 5/3/22 06:04 PM, Gario wrote: after that, the jews
At 5/3/22 06:10 PM, TheKlown wrote: DemoKKKrat Party is completely Demonic
Until you all calm down, I don’t see how a functional discussion can happen.

@zj did a good judicial analysis above. Can we start with his post rather than immediately leap to breaking Godwin’s Law?

click this to quick jump back to his paragraph: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/45735#bbspost27326495_post_text

….granted I disagree that anything is set in stone. If you’re 100% sure something will go one way in the SCOTUS, you are bound to be disappointed. They are predictably unpredictable.

That's okay, people are just airing their first draft on how they will respond to something that has already been neutered for the past 10 years by the conservative majority in the Supreme Court to the point the high court refuses to block bounties on it by Republican states.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-04 00:07:04

I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

moloch is angry that he'll have less children sacrificed lmao.

Fuck you moloch!

Although I do wonder if this outrage over this is intentionally being cultivated?

Around 21-34 food plants have "accidentally" been burned within the past few months.

Riots would be the perfect cover for more of these food plants getting burned.

iu_625681_9507916.webp

iu_625680_9507916.webp

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-04 00:47:25

At 5/4/22 12:07 AM, Dolorious wrote: I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
Fuck you moloch!
Although I do wonder if this outrage over this is intentionally being cultivated?
Around 21-34 food plants have "accidentally" been burned within the past few months.

Not really finding much humor in this.

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-04 01:38:49

At 5/4/22 12:47 AM, EdyKel wrote:
Fuck you moloch!

It's more or so I find the situation funny. My sense of humor is very abstract.

iu_625719_9507916.webp

iu_625720_9507916.webp

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-04 06:57:13

Well, I wasn’t expecting to spend my time in Atlanta walking in the middle of the streets and stopping traffic lol

I have concerns about the effect a leak like this can have on the Court as an institution. Both sides have a plausible motivation to have this information out in the public before the final decision, but whether or not the intention was to apply some sort of pressure on certain Justices, the effect is there.

Now, while it may not be as terrible as how some prominent conservatives are characterizing it, a leak would undoubtedly insert political influence on an institution that is designed to be an island from contemporary politics.

I don’t agree with @zj that it would be TOO shocking if a Trump-appointed judge came around and was persuaded by stare decisis, or that they found this particular draft opinion to strike down Roe v Wade to not be compelling. With this draft decision, we’ll never really know if any of the Justices would have changed their minds had it not been publicized.

But I know the actual substance of the leak is of more interest to the public, and that’s fine. But let’s hope that this kind of information disclosure remains uncommon.

BBS Signature

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-04 08:36:23 (edited 2022-05-04 08:44:35)

At 5/4/22 01:38 AM, Dolorious wrote:
At 5/4/22 12:47 AM, EdyKel wrote:
Fuck you moloch!
It's more or so I find the situation funny. My sense of humor is very abstract.

There is nothing out of the ordinary with a drug that has multiple uses. Bacitracin is an antibiotic that is used for both humans and animals. The problem with Ivermectin was that it was proven completely ineffective in treating COVID-19.

Misoprostol when used with mifepristone is known to end pregnancy and actually works. Not to mention that the supreme court is going to ban other alternatives for people, unlike COVID-19 where there were alternative treatments such as monoclonal antibodies.

If a woman is raped and becomes pregnant against their will, then they may be desperate for any solution including a self-induced abortion which comes with many risks.

BBS Signature

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-04 09:44:15

At 5/3/22 06:10 PM, TheKlown wrote: DemoKKKrat Party is completely Demonic and that's all that has to be said. If I say anything else a sensitive lefty Modder might ban me. Also it's hilarious that Dementia Joe is caught lying all the time. He says he is pro-life but then supports the Murder of a baby late into the pregnancy. Disgusting corrupt Politician that stole his Wealth.

End hypocrisy, become anti-life.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Roe vs. Wade 2022-05-04 09:58:37 (edited 2022-05-04 09:59:09)

At 5/3/22 09:43 AM, Yomuchan wrote:

I had a bad feeling about this. Looking into it, turns out my suspicion was justified. What a crazy time to be alive, huh?

Please explain? @Yomuchan?

What else is mentioned besides abortion in this, what does this have to do with privacy... I felt my original post was too short so I edited it.

"If you don't stand up for yourself... everyone will walk all over you." -Donald Trump

BBS Signature